Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Halal, why should we put up with this?
Newbury Today Forum > Categories > Random Rants
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19
On the edge
QUOTE (blackdog @ Jan 3 2012, 01:13 AM) *
Jewishness is not only about religion - Fry certainly seems happy enough to be an atheist Jew when it suits him.

I have to say, I've always found it a little sad that we find it necessary to define people by the archaine rules of religions or past history. There was a spot of bother back in the 1930s where this happened big time. Do we really need lables?

Tony Benn summed it up quite well; My Father was a Lord so under our rules that qualifies me to be a Lord and therefore fit to rule - if he'd been an Airline Pilot, would you have been satisfied to let me take you for a trip in a plane, after all I'd be qualified....!
xjay1337
I don't think anyone other than Mr Fry can comment on Mr Frys religion.
IanB
I think this thread represents the frustration felt by a growing number of people about the constrictive oppression of Britain by political correctness. I believe that this can only simmer for so long before it really boils over.

For the record, I believe that we are now far too accomodating as a country in some respects. We are in grave danger of losing our identity for good. I wonder how accomodating other countries would be to our 'needs' should the roles be reversed? Because this is my belief, I would appreciate it if you'd just roll over and accept it. ;-)
xjay1337
Ah yes, the Great British Identity.

Where we work for international companies, drive in German cars listening to music sung by American artists, buy Salad from Latvia, where we watch British teams made up of foreign players playing football on Televisions made in China while sitting on Sofas bought from DFS made in Peru.

We have no identity. The problem isn't identity, it's PCness which I hate.

I am not PC at all.
Bloggo
QUOTE (IanB @ Jan 3 2012, 01:43 PM) *
I think this thread represents the frustration felt by a growing number of people about the constrictive oppression of Britain by political correctness. I believe that this can only simmer for so long before it really boils over.

For the record, I believe that we are now far too accomodating as a country in some respects. We are in grave danger of losing our identity for good. I wonder how accomodating other countries would be to our 'needs' should the roles be reversed? Because this is my belief, I would appreciate it if you'd just roll over and accept it. ;-)

Ok, fine by me. wink.gif
Bloggo
QUOTE (xjay1337 @ Jan 3 2012, 01:56 PM) *
Ah yes, the Great British Identity.

Where we work for international companies, drive in German cars listening to music sung by American artists, buy Salad from Latvia, where we watch British teams made up of foreign players playing football on Televisions made in China while sitting on Sofas bought from DFS made in Peru.

We have no identity. The problem isn't identity, it's PCness which I hate.

I am not PC at all.

When objections are made against people and upheld by authority because they demonstrate their christian belief by wearing a cross, crucifix or any other christian badge then we have already lost the PC battle.
On the edge
Some of the justifiably concerned responses here are worried about loss of a national sense of identity / purpose. Regrettably, we've been sleepwalking into what has been termed a multi cultural society - though none of us have ever seen it in a political manifesto. We used to have a saying 'when in Rome, do as the Romans do' - not a bad touch stone. After all, in the US - billed as the land of the free, see what happens if you decide to deface the flag, or criticise the troops.
lordtup
The thread is getting a bit bear ( sic) ish . The unequivocal truth is that nationalism does exist in all of us , multiculturalism being something dreamt up by the spin doctors in order to make us feel guilty whenever the race card is played ,the fact that we tend to become defensive when our legislate is ignored or deemed non applicable on ethnic or religious grounds only empathises our concerns for our continuing identity . To paraphrase a well worn quotation , they may well be crap laws but they are our crap laws .
blackdog
QUOTE (On the edge @ Jan 3 2012, 12:07 PM) *
I have to say, I've always found it a little sad that we find it necessary to define people by the archaine rules of religions or past history. There was a spot of bother back in the 1930s where this happened big time. Do we really need lables?

Jews define themselves - an fact that has meant the survival of the Jews as a distinct group, I cannot think of any other group that has been so successful at not assimilating into a host culture. Of course many have assimilated, but the survival of Judaism after hundreds of years immersed in Christian European cultures is an impressive feat.

Everyone uses labels all the time, for some reason we do need them. The problems come if we start thinking that those labelled X are in some way inferior to those labelled Y and that therefore it is okay to treat them differently.
xjay1337
QUOTE (lordtup @ Jan 3 2012, 05:33 PM) *
To paraphrase a well worn quotation , they may well be crap laws but they are our crap laws .

Defo agree with that, a fair point. But unfortunately when was the last time the public were questioned or polled on an event, ruleset, anything?

I think it would be fairly easy to set up a voting system on proposed rule changes and introduction. It can be linked to the census, so you register a web account against your census name (to be done via post or at a council office, driving license, passport, whatever) , giving you the right to then participate in easy 1-click "for" or "against" votes online on and, because we are a democracy, the majority of the votes is what should then be passed (or rejected) -
Andy Capp
I don't agree. That is because this country is largely made up of ill-informed people. I'd be happier if there was some kind of competency test.
xjay1337
I agree with you Andy in principle however the point of a democracy is that the people get to vote. Even if the people are morons.
Andy Capp
QUOTE (xjay1337 @ Jan 3 2012, 07:49 PM) *
I agree with you Andy in principle however the point of a democracy is that the people get to vote. Even if the people are morons.

Why should it be assumed 'democracy' is the truth?
xjay1337
blink.gif

Well, I thought (excuse me if I'm wrong) that a democracy was rule of the majority. So a selective majority is what you'd want? Fine by me, but on what criteria?
NWNREADER
'Democracy' as currently propagated, has become the method by which ego-driven politicians justify what they do
Andy Capp
QUOTE (xjay1337 @ Jan 3 2012, 08:11 PM) *
blink.gif Well, I thought (excuse me if I'm wrong) that a democracy was rule of the majority. So a selective majority is what you'd want? Fine by me, but on what criteria?

No; I'm simply asking why should it be assumed any democracy is best? Why should it be assumed that equal power to everyone, is best for everyone?
user23
It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government, except all the others that have been tried.
xjay1337
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jan 3 2012, 08:42 PM) *
No; I'm simply asking why should it be assumed any democracy is best? Why should it be assumed that equal power to everyone, is best for everyone?

Hmm, I suppose. tongue.gif I mean I always found in group conflicts that normally things were resolved by doing a vote and siding with the majority. Unfortunately the minority in that case may get crapped on - And perhaps it's the minority who were right.

So huh.gif... Idk, Governments are complicated and you're never going to make everyone happy. But on policies which directly affect the people they should at least get a say? I'm not sure laugh.gif laugh.gif
Biker1
I think maybe the point of this thread has, as usual, drifted away from the OP's point which is, do the majority of people in this country think it acceptable to slit an animal's throat while it is still concious and, if not, should it be allowed to continue, regardless of culture or religion?
NWNREADER
QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jan 4 2012, 09:25 AM) *
I think maybe the point of this thread has, as usual, drifted away from the OP's point which is, do the majority of people in this country think it acceptable to slit an animal's throat while it is still concious and, if not, should it be allowed to continue, regardless of culture or religion?

Correct, and 'no'.
x2lls
QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jan 4 2012, 09:25 AM) *

Thank you Biker1.

xjay1337
When a thread goes from the original posting subject to another due to converstaion by posters it's called a "spinoff" and is part of forums. If everyone stuck solidly to the original subject threads would be very short and full of one and two word replies.

But yes animals should be stunned which (nearly) everyone has agreed on.
JeffG
Having read some on line articles about this, some (most? all?) Muslims are perfectly happy with animals being stunned before being slaughtered. So it would seem to be a non-problem that could be resolved by legislation.

Another article (this was by some vegetarian organisation, so maybe not unbiased) said that major supermarkets when asked said they either did not supply Halal meat at all, or the animal was stunned before slaughter. Link
Vodabury
QUOTE (JeffG @ Jan 4 2012, 11:42 AM) *
Having read some on line articles about this, some (most? all?) Muslims are perfectly happy with animals being stunned before being slaughtered. So it would seem to be a non-problem that could be resolved by legislation.

Another article (this was by some vegetarian organisation, so maybe not unbiased) said that major supermarkets when asked said they either did not supply Halal meat at all, or the animal was stunned before slaughter. Link

This is generally my understanding from what I have read. Most Muslims agree that the animal should be stunned first, but some hardliners disagree - which could lead to an abhorrent and cruel situation which should be stamped out with the enforcement of legislation.

I was under the impression that Halal meat was in the shops and restaurants far more than we realise, and this does not particuarly bother me as long as the animal is slaughtered in the most humane way possible.. but perhaps it would be nice to be able to make an informed choice.
JeffG
QUOTE (Vodabury @ Jan 4 2012, 07:27 PM) *
perhaps it would be nice to be able to make an informed choice.

Presumably, if you buy a kebab it's going to be Halal meat, so there's one easy choice to make.
Andy Capp
QUOTE (JeffG @ Jan 5 2012, 11:26 AM) *
Presumably, if you buy a kebab it's going to be Halal meat, so there's one easy choice to make.

Should one make a choice on a presumption? Perhaps it would be better to become better informed first?
JeffG
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jan 5 2012, 11:28 AM) *
Should one make a choice on a presumption? Perhaps it would be better to become better informed first?

Probably, yes. Since I have never bought a kebab, the point is moot in my case. My assumption was based on the fact that kebab = Turkish = Muslim. Perhaps someone would like to ask on my behalf?
Ruwan Uduwerage-Perera
As a vegetarian I personally am uncomfortable with the slaughter of any animals whether it is done in the halal, Kosher of general manner, and I say this as someone whose family farm sheep and other livestock.

I do though benefit from the by-products of others carnivorous tendencies for I do like my leather seats in the car, and the shoes that I wear.
Vodabury
QUOTE (Ruwan Uduwerage-Perera @ Jan 10 2012, 12:23 PM) *
As a vegetarian I personally am uncomfortable with the slaughter of any animals whether it is done in the halal, Kosher of general manner, and I say this as someone whose family farm sheep and other livestock.

I do though benefit from the by-products of others carnivorous tendencies for I do like my leather seats in the car, and the shoes that I wear.

An animal should not be slaughtered for food, but it's ok if it is done for your vanity?

You are joking?
Nothing Much
I like both meat and veg. A favourite is a basic Cauliflower Cheese. Cheese on toast for a lunchtime snack.
I have 2 most wondrous Aubergines left over from my Christmas veg display. Probably about 500 gms each.

They need to be cooked soon. Car seats and shoes won't work for me made from dried aubergine..
So I think I will roast and freeze. Maybe a curry in the cold weather approaching. I have Veg cookbooks.

I have had problems with young friends of my children,who became vegetarians and then Vegans.
It was a bit of a revolt at the time. It was a nightmare. I had to take a magnifying glass to check on food.
They are all carnivores now. I think it was the bacon sarnie that did it for most of them.

As for the bigger topic. I feel the general rule should be simple. "All for one and one for all"
Nothing Much
And Andy Capp's competency test as mentioned at the top of the page would take us back to
pre-suffragette times ,which would get rid of Diane Abbott as well.

Hey 2 solutions at a moments notice!
NORTHENDER
QUOTE (Vodabury @ Jan 10 2012, 07:28 PM) *
An animal should not be slaughtered for food, but it's ok if it is done for your vanity?

You are joking?

Where does Ruwan say it is not right to slaughter for food?
Vodabury
QUOTE (NORTHENDER @ Jan 10 2012, 08:30 PM) *
Where does Ruwan say it is not right to slaughter for food?

Er, he never said it was "not right", but he is a vegetarian and says he is uncomfortable about it..
Andy Capp
QUOTE (Vodabury @ Jan 10 2012, 09:08 PM) *
Er, he never said it was "not right", but he is a vegetarian and says he is uncomfortable about it..

Exactly, so why the 'outburst'?
Vodabury
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jan 10 2012, 09:14 PM) *
Exactly, so why the 'outburst'?

Sorry, you have lost me.

Rgds
NORTHENDER
In my eyes being uncomfortable with something is not the same as saying it should not be done. I would be uncomfortable killing a beef cattle myself, but quite happy to let someone
else do it for me.
Vodabury
QUOTE (Nothing Much @ Jan 10 2012, 08:18 PM) *
I think it was the bacon sarnie that did it for most of them.

Yes, my daughter can be fussy in what she eats, but the smell of grilled bacon...
Andy Capp
QUOTE (Vodabury @ Jan 10 2012, 09:19 PM) *
Sorry, you have lost me. Rgds

An animal should not be slaughtered for food, but it's ok if it is done for your vanity? You are joking?
QUOTE (Vodabury @ Jan 10 2012, 09:08 PM) *

So we have to ask: why the 07:28 PM post?
Vodabury
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jan 10 2012, 10:08 PM) *
So we have to ask: why the 07:28 PM post?

Pass. You read into this something I cannot explain. Cheers.
Andy Capp
QUOTE (Vodabury @ Jan 10 2012, 10:29 PM) *
Pass. You read into this something I cannot explain. Cheers.

You accused someone of something they didn't do or say.
Strafin
QUOTE (Ruwan Uduwerage-Perera @ Jan 10 2012, 12:23 PM) *
As a vegetarian I personally am uncomfortable with the slaughter of any animals ..... I do like my leather seats in the car, and the shoes that I wear.

Snipped to emphasise the bit I think Vodabury is pointing out. I thought she made sense.
Vodabury
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jan 10 2012, 10:35 PM) *
You accused someone of something they didn't do or say.

I did? Well I apologise anyway. Good night.
Andy Capp
QUOTE (Strafin @ Jan 10 2012, 10:41 PM) *
Snipped to emphasise the bit I think Vodabury is pointing out. I thought she made sense.

Snipped the bits out that made it plain obvious he wasn't advocating slaughter of animals for leather goods you mean!!!! rolleyes.gif

Vodabury made sense, but they, like you it seems, didn't read it properly. He said leather was a by-product of carnivorous, meaning killed primarily for food, and the remains put to 'good use'. This in no-way implies he supports slaughter for leather goods to make him look and feel good (vanity).
dannyboy
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jan 10 2012, 10:52 PM) *
Snipped the bits out that made it plain obvious he wasn't advocating slaughter of animals for leather goods you mean!!!! rolleyes.gif

Vodabury made sense, but they, like you it seems, didn't read it properly. He said leather was a by-product of carnivorous, meaning killed primarily for food, and the remains put to 'good use'. This in no-way implies he supports slaughter for leather goods to make him look and feel good (vanity).

Yes - pretty obvious he wasn't advocating killing animals for vanity.

and equally obvious that whilst he is uncomfortable about killing animals to eat, he's happy to wear their skins.

He may as well eat cheap burgers & sausages too. Are they not made from the by products & waste of the abbatoir?
xjay1337

You are joking?

Hypocrisy at it's greatest.

It's fine to kill an animal to eat it. It's how the world works. As much as I like leather seats I don't then complain about the animal being killed for food, either be for it or against it. You can't say "oh, killing them and eating them is a bit much, but skin them so my **** can get sticky in hot weather".

Hmm. rolleyes.gif

Talking of animals for lunch I'm going to have a lovely chicken roll. biggrin.gif
Andy Capp
QUOTE (xjay1337 @ Jan 11 2012, 11:55 AM) *
Hypocrisy at it's greatest.

It's fine to kill an animal to eat it. It's how the world works. As much as I like leather seats I don't then complain about the animal being killed for food, either be for it or against it. You can't say "oh, killing them and eating them is a bit much, but skin them so my **** can get sticky in hot weather".

Hmm. rolleyes.gif

Talking of animals for lunch I'm going to have a lovely chicken roll. biggrin.gif

As that is not what was said or meant by the OP, it seems you can't read either!
dannyboy
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jan 11 2012, 12:01 PM) *
As that is not what was said or meant by the OP, it seems you can't read either!

Andy Capp
You seem to have an incomplete post dannyboy!
dannyboy
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jan 11 2012, 12:14 PM) *
You seem to have an incomplete post dannyboy!

You just can't get the staff these days.
xjay1337
I'd love to employ staff to post on my behalf, that would be amazing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.