Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Newbury Train Station, GWR, Network Rail
Newbury Today Forum > Categories > Random Rants
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
Biker1
I'll keep trying!! rolleyes.gif
The machine would quite clearly say if it was a peak "anytime" ticket.
If you press that button then it will assume that that is the ticket that you require.
You did not say if you bought the ticket during or after the morning peak.
It may be that someone needs to buy an anytime ticket after the morning peak period as they may wish to return during the evening peak.
If you need an "off peak" ticket during morning peak hours then you have to speak to a person.
AC and OTE please explain why the machine "missold" your ticket and why it " failed to deliver basic customer service standards."
As I said, the machine sold you what you asked for!
On the edge
QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jun 18 2018, 07:51 PM) *
If you press that button then it will assume that that is the ticket that you require.
It may be that someone needs to buy an anytime ticket after the morning peak period as they may wish to return during the evening peak.
If you need an "off peak" ticket during morning peak hours then you have to speak to a person.
AC and OTE please explain why the machine "missold" your ticket and why it " failed to deliver basic customer service standards."

You've given the answer Biker, if I want to buy an off peak ticket in the morning peak travel period, why do I have to see a person? Why can't I just buy one? There are a good few reasons why I'd want to. For instance, do railway management think it somehow immoral to catch an unreliable bus into Newbury and so arrive in good time, purchase an off peak ticket and then sit in the station cafe for coffee until the off peak train arrives? That's just one reason.

The ticket machines are computer configured so someone makes the rules - that someone clearly either concerned that cheeky travellers will jump on a train with an off peak ticket and not be checked by an on train inspector or at the exit gate, or realises that many people will simply pay up.

Automatic ticket production isn't a strong suit for GWR is it? Foolishly, I often have a travel card added to my Paddington ticket. Will it operate the Underground or the Waterloo barriers? No. Are those barriers effectively resourced, No. I complained (vigorously) last week. The TfL answer was sorry, some train operators have poor ticket printing facilities.

Now, ticketing isn't affected by electrification but does and always did affect customer service.
Biker1
QUOTE (On the edge @ Jun 18 2018, 08:33 PM) *
You've given the answer Biker, if I want to buy an off peak ticket in the morning peak travel period, why do I have to see a person? Why can't I just buy one? There are a good few reasons why I'd want to. For instance, do railway management think it somehow immoral to catch an unreliable bus into Newbury and so arrive in good time, purchase an off peak ticket and then sit in the station cafe for coffee until the off peak train arrives? That's just one reason.

The ticket machines are computer configured so someone makes the rules - that someone clearly either concerned that cheeky travellers will jump on a train with an off peak ticket and not be checked by an on train inspector or at the exit gate, or realises that many people will simply pay up.

Automatic ticket production isn't a strong suit for GWR is it? Foolishly, I often have a travel card added to my Paddington ticket. Will it operate the Underground or the Waterloo barriers? No. Are those barriers effectively resourced, No. I complained (vigorously) last week. The TfL answer was sorry, some train operators have poor ticket printing facilities.

Now, ticketing isn't affected by electrification but does and always did affect customer service.

Off peak tickets can be purchased from the machines well before the first off peak train. ( I think it's about 20 mins).
Why would you need to buy one before that?
And if you do, just see a person.
Travelcards will operate all TFL barriers. (Unless you damage it)!!!
Andy Capp
QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jun 18 2018, 07:51 PM) *

I didn’t ask for it; I chose it. It is selling a ticket that is not needed, I was going to Reading and back.
On the edge
QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jun 18 2018, 08:46 PM) *
Off peak tickets can be purchased from the machines well before the first off peak train. ( I think it's about 20 mins).
Why would you need to buy one before that?
And if you do, just see a person.
Travelcards will operate all TFL barriers. (Unless you damage it)!!!

If the product is on general sale, why should it be restricted? Isn't it an arrogance on behalf of GWR to assume it can dictate my purchasing arangements. I agree, I can see a person, but that seems to fly in the face of the automation GWR are trying to get me to accept. Frankly, I don't like using the machines and would far rather be served by a person. Why can't GWR properly resource ticket offices at peak times?

As for damaging tickets, I keep mine in a stiff clean wallet and because I've mentioned this to a good few colleagues, it's not just me. Odd really, SWR sourced tickets work at GW barriers and I've kept an Oyster card operating since they were first issued.
Andy Capp
I hate those machines: poorly designed and slow.
Biker1
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jun 18 2018, 09:10 PM) *
I chose it.

My case rests!
Biker1
QUOTE (On the edge @ Jun 18 2018, 09:41 PM) *
If the product is on general sale, why should it be restricted?

it is an attempt to avoid passengers boarding a train on which their ticket is not valid and hence encountering a penalty fare or worse.
QUOTE (On the edge @ Jun 18 2018, 09:41 PM) *
As for damaging tickets, I keep mine in a stiff clean wallet and because I've mentioned this to a good few colleagues, it's not just me. Odd really, SWR sourced tickets work at GW barriers and I've kept an Oyster card operating since they were first issued.

The tickets rely on a magnetic strip on the back to read data by the gatelines.
If damaged (usually by having them near a mobile phone) they do not work.
Far from perfect I agree, and the railway companies are moving towards "smart ticketing".
Travelcards are single use and would not warrant incorporating the technology of that such as Oyster which are multiple use tokens.
Andy Capp
QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jun 19 2018, 07:29 AM) *
My case rests!

Ill rephrase it: I selected it, but it shouldn’t be there to select; a GWR rippoff. Selling peak rate tickets when there are no peak rate trains to catch.
On the edge
QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jun 19 2018, 07:35 AM) *
it is an attempt to avoid passengers boarding a train on which their ticket is not valid and hence encountering a penalty fare or worse.

The tickets rely on a magnetic strip on the back to read data by the gatelines.
If damaged (usually by having them near a mobile phone) they do not work.
Far from perfect I agree, and the railway companies are moving towards "smart ticketing".
Travelcards are single use and would not warrant incorporating the technology of that such as Oyster which are multiple use tokens.

The restriction on the machine then must be seen as GWR not trusting its customers to be reasonable intelligent people. The same effect could easily have been achieved using a banner or such like warning people that off peak trains don't arrive 'till 9.00. But, OK, it's down to a paternalistic attitude.

It's ironic then, that the barrier issue is news to me. Well aware of how the strip works, but not of the need not to keep in proximity to mobile phones etc. Will certainly give that a try and report back. So, again, a simple warning might pay massive service dividends.
Biker1
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jun 19 2018, 07:43 AM) *
Ill rephrase it: I selected it, but it shouldn’t be there to select; a GWR rippoff. Selling peak rate tickets when there are no peak rate trains to catch.

Like I said, peak tickets may still be a requirement if the user wishes to return at peak time.
They are called "anytime" tickets I.E. they can be used at any time on any train.
Biker1
QUOTE (On the edge @ Jun 19 2018, 08:03 AM) *
The same effect could easily have been achieved using a banner or such like warning people that off peak trains don't arrive 'till 9.00.

That's on a big sign stuck to the machine! tongue.gif
Strafin
Just a short story if anyone is interested that is sort of relatable. I didn't know but there is no defined off peak start time, and I had to travel back up north from Reading after a recent visit. I got to Reading station well before 6 am and spoke to the guys on the gate. They couldn't give me a time for the start or end of the morning peak period but let me onto the platform. They said if I spoke to the train manager they would b able to clarify whether or not I could travel. So I boarded a virgin train and set to finding the manager about 5 minutes before departure. The train left bang on time with me on it, and so i was already in motion by the time I found her. She advised that to upgrade my ticket would cost me about £120 and I had to pay that to continue. Obviously I wasn't prepared to pay that so she said I would have to leave at the next stop, Oxford, and get an off peak train from there. Fair enough, but she then wrote on my ticket that it was not to be used before 10:30. I asked why as that was so much later, and she said I had already stolen an hour of their time, and I owed them that back. She said if I had waited for the first off peak from Reading, I wouldn't have gt there till 10 o clock so why should I be allowed to travel before then?

She has the letter of the law on her side I guess, but these rail companies don't help themselves at all.
On the edge
QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jun 19 2018, 11:40 AM) *
That's on a big sign stuck to the machine! tongue.gif

Which machine is this then?

Just jumped off the Reading train and looked, nothing at all about off peak times or tickets on the two in the ticket office or the semi vandalised one at the side entrance.

There IS a big home made sign on the ticket office machines saying the tickets purchased at the machine are 'different' to those sold by the ticket office!

tongue.gif tongue.gif
On the edge
QUOTE (Strafin @ Jun 19 2018, 12:49 PM) *
Just a short story if anyone is interested that is sort of relatable. I didn't know but there is no defined off peak start time, and I had to travel back up north from Reading after a recent visit. I got to Reading station well before 6 am and spoke to the guys on the gate. They couldn't give me a time for the start or end of the morning peak period but let me onto the platform. They said if I spoke to the train manager they would b able to clarify whether or not I could travel. So I boarded a virgin train and set to finding the manager about 5 minutes before departure. The train left bang on time with me on it, and so i was already in motion by the time I found her. She advised that to upgrade my ticket would cost me about £120 and I had to pay that to continue. Obviously I wasn't prepared to pay that so she said I would have to leave at the next stop, Oxford, and get an off peak train from there. Fair enough, but she then wrote on my ticket that it was not to be used before 10:30. I asked why as that was so much later, and she said I had already stolen an hour of their time, and I owed them that back. She said if I had waited for the first off peak from Reading, I wouldn't have gt there till 10 o clock so why should I be allowed to travel before then?

She has the letter of the law on her side I guess, but these rail companies don't help themselves at all.

Yes - indeed this is a graphic illustration of what's wrong.

I'm thinking of pushing a letter to our MP who seems to take an interest in railway matters simply to highlight these issues. Which ironically bring into sharp focus the present industrial dispute by Northern Railway Guards. With management attitudes like this, is it any wonder staff walk off the job?

Just an aside, why do the railways still need a private (British Transport Police) police force? I'd lay odds on Tesco's or Sainsbury's grabbing a chance to do exactly the same!
Andy Capp
QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jun 19 2018, 11:38 AM) *
Like I said, peak tickets may still be a requirement if the user wishes to return at peak time.
They are called "anytime" tickets I.E. they can be used at any time on any train.

There is no peak time Reading to Newbury; it is the same price through out the afternoon and evening and when I’ve asked in the past, I have been told I may use my off peak ticket to return to Newbury at anytime in the afternoon and evening.

A GWR rip-off.
Andy Capp
QUOTE (On the edge @ Jun 19 2018, 03:05 PM) *
There IS a big home made sign on the ticket office machines saying the tickets purchased at the machine are 'different' to those sold by the ticket office!

tongue.gif tongue.gif

Yes: more expensive.
Biker1
QUOTE (On the edge @ Jun 19 2018, 03:05 PM) *
Which machine is this then?

Just jumped off the Reading train and looked, nothing at all about off peak times or tickets on the two in the ticket office or the semi vandalised one at the side entrance.

tongue.gif tongue.gif

Is it not there now then?
Well the was one last time I looked.
Sorry about that. I'll concede on that one! wink.gif
Biker1
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jun 19 2018, 06:24 PM) *
Yes: more expensive.

Incorrect.
Ticket machine prices are identical to those sold from the windows.
What is it with all this "fake news"? rolleyes.gif
Biker1
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jun 19 2018, 06:00 PM) *
There is no peak time Reading to Newbury; it is the same price through out the afternoon and evening and when I’ve asked in the past, I have been told I may use my off peak ticket to return to Newbury at anytime in the afternoon and evening.

That is correct. Peak time returns are from London.
That said I still don't understand why you bought a peak ticket if you were catching an off peak train.
The machine told you what you were buying and the price before you bought it.
When you saw the price did you not think it was the wrong ticket for the journey you were making?
You could have then spoken to a staff member who would have sold you what you required.
I do not see the "rip off" you refer to. The machine sold you what you asked for. (Unless you mean the price of tickets in general is too high with which I agree.)
Do you not take any responsibility for ensuring you are buying the correct product for your needs? Do you not check prices / products for example when you visit a supermarket?
Andy Capp
QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jun 20 2018, 08:01 AM) *
That is correct. Peak time returns are from London.
That said I still don't understand why you bought a peak ticket if you were catching an off peak train.
The machine told you what you were buying and the price before you bought it.
When you saw the price did you not think it was the wrong ticket for the journey you were making?
You could have then spoken to a staff member who would have sold you what you required.
I do not see the "rip off" you refer to. The machine sold you what you asked for. (Unless you mean the price of tickets in general is too high with which I agree.)
Do you not take any responsibility for ensuring you are buying the correct product for your needs? Do you not check prices / products for example when you visit a supermarket?

I made a mistake which cost me catching the next train, but it should not be there to chose; of course I spoke to someone about it, but would a person have sold me a peak rate ticket? Of course not, so nor should the machine. The machines are POS I only use if the kiosks are taking too long to clear.

A GWR peace poor service, soon to be on back-breakingly poor trains.
On the edge
QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jun 20 2018, 07:50 AM) *
Is it not there now then?
Well the was one last time I looked.
Sorry about that. I'll concede on that one! wink.gif

TBH there are white sticky pads round the top of the machines which indicates one of their home made signs had been in place some time back.
On the edge
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jun 20 2018, 08:36 AM) *
I made a mistake which cost me catching the next train, but it should not be there to chose; of course I spoke to someone about it, but would a person have sold me a peak rate ticket? Of course not, so nor should the machine. The machines are POS I only use if the kiosks are taking too long to clear.

A GWR peace poor service, soon to be on back-breakingly poor trains.

Actually the booking clerks will sell you off peak during the morning peak periods for the same day and future dates. I quite often do that. However, the queues are often horrendous, even outside peak periods. Have to say that's often the fault of prospective passengers who are trying to absorb what are complex instructions for what they percieved to be quite straightforward transactions - which says something I'd suggest!
Biker1
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jun 20 2018, 08:36 AM) *

Unfortunately the machines do not have brains and will only do what you tell them.
Unlike staff they do not have the understanding to realise you may need a different ticket.
Move with the times eh?
Like TFL, I think the long term policy of the railway is to dispense with ticket offices and associated humans especially at smaller stations and move to machine led "smart ticketing"!
It can only get worse AC!!! tongue.gif
Andy Capp
QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jun 20 2018, 10:45 AM) *
Unfortunately the machines do not have brains and will only do what you tell them.
Unlike staff they do not have the understanding to realise you may need a different ticket.
Move with the times eh?

Or at least the ‘simple’ machines installed are, yes, but I have an app that seems to know the right price.
SirWilliam
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jun 21 2018, 10:18 PM) *
Or at least the ‘simple’ machines installed are, yes, but I have an app that seems to know the right price.

Oh the "ubiquitous" app. Yet another example of isolating the "older" generation from getting a better deal. I do not wish to appear Luddite but what is wrong with a person or machine that provides simple to comprehend information? If I wish to travel at peak times then I am prepared to pay full price, but I do not expect to be charged full price off peak just because I press the wrong button or do not ask the ticket office the right question.
Andy Capp
QUOTE (SirWilliam @ Jun 22 2018, 12:29 PM) *
Oh the "ubiquitous" app. Yet another example of isolating the "older" generation from getting a better deal. I do not wish to appear Luddite but what is wrong with a person or machine that provides simple to comprehend information? If I wish to travel at peak times then I am prepared to pay full price, but I do not expect to be charged full price off peak just because I press the wrong button or do not ask the ticket office the right question.

Quite!
Biker1
I do not expect to be charged full price off peak just because I press the wrong button

Don't get it!!!
If you press the button that will sell you a peak ticket and subsequently pay the price displayed then what do you expect?? ohmy.gif
As I said, the machine can't think for itself, you have to take SOME responsibility!

or do not ask the ticket office the right question.

The staff in the ticket office will always sell you the best and cheapest product for your needs. But again, you have to take some responsibility to tell them your travel requirements. I.E. Date and time of travel and your destinations.
Honestly......it's not that difficult folks!! rolleyes.gif
Andy Capp
QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jun 23 2018, 07:19 AM) *
Don't get it!!!
If you press the button that will sell you a peak ticket and subsequently pay the price displayed then what do you expect?? ohmy.gif
As I said, the machine can't think for itself, you have to take SOME responsibility!

The staff in the ticket office will always sell you the best and cheapest product for your needs. But again, you have to take some responsibility to tell them your travel requirements. I.E. Date and time of travel and your destinations.
Honestly......it's not that difficult folks!! rolleyes.gif

A machine should not be selling a ticket that is not the correct charge. The ticket I bought was for a service that did not exist. There’s a word for that.
Andy Capp
“The 07:47 will be cancelled due to a shortage of train crew.”

Nothing to do with footer yesterday I presume.
Strafin

The "older" generation need to sort themselves out. I cam across a 50 year old the other day who couldn't do basic computer tasks, she literally pressed the mouse against the screen when I told her to click on something! I have recently been involved in a grievance meeting because an employee of ours didn't consider email proper communication because you "can't sign for it"! how long have computers been around??
On the edge
London yesterday. And so the circus goes on!

Our railways - what a shop window for our national competence, just as we desperately need it. Well done lads; 'what a way to run a railway'.
SirWilliam
QUOTE (Strafin @ Jun 25 2018, 09:37 AM) *
The "older" generation need to sort themselves out. I cam across a 50 year old the other day who couldn't do basic computer tasks, she literally pressed the mouse against the screen when I told her to click on something! I have recently been involved in a grievance meeting because an employee of ours didn't consider email proper communication because you "can't sign for it"! how long have computers been around??

Euthanasia for the over 65s is the way forward. My problem is not so much the rise of the computer, as you say it's been around for some time now, but the "APP". This insidious nonentity seems to be at the heart of everyday life yet at best is a shortcut for those who can't be bothered to access their needs in a more conventional manner and at worst a collector of personal data that Orwell's thought police would have relished. By all means use one if that is your "bag" but don't force it on those who find it a tad tedious.
Strafin
QUOTE (SirWilliam @ Jul 6 2018, 08:26 AM) *
Euthanasia for the over 65s is the way forward. My problem is not so much the rise of the computer, as you say it's been around for some time now, but the "APP". This insidious nonentity seems to be at the heart of everyday life yet at best is a shortcut for those who can't be bothered to access their needs in a more conventional manner and at worst a collector of personal data that Orwell's thought police would have relished. By all means use one if that is your "bag" but don't force it on those who find it a tad tedious.

What? That's like saying bicycles are a pain and designed for people who can't be bothered to walk! Telephones are there for people who are too lazy to write a letter! These things are here because they are efficient and save time. They're also easier most of the time if you're prepared to work. Sadly the generations born around the 50's to the 70's are entitled and work shy and fought against progression (generalisation obviously), so computers, and technology even now are frowned upon by more people than embrace them. And you don't have to use the app, use the machine or ask in the office!
SirWilliam
QUOTE (Strafin @ Jul 6 2018, 08:50 AM) *
What? That's like saying bicycles are a pain and designed for people who can't be bothered to walk! Telephones are there for people who are too lazy to write a letter! These things are here because they are efficient and save time. They're also easier most of the time if you're prepared to work. Sadly the generations born around the 50's to the 70's are entitled and work shy and fought against progression (generalisation obviously), so computers, and technology even now are frowned upon by more people than embrace them. And you don't have to use the app, use the machine or ask in the office!

"Ouch" sits down in a corner having been told off for being old. mellow.gif You are right of course and good or bad progress is progress, but I just happen to view the app with some disdain, probably because of the constant pressure to use it as opposed to the obvious benefit some may offer.
The world will still whiz round the sun at an alarming rate whatever my views.
Andy Capp
Have you heard about the one where the train load of passangers turn up at Theale to catch a bus replacement service and it was just two mini buses! Shocking.
On the edge
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jul 12 2018, 05:00 PM) *
Have you heard about the one where the train load of passangers turn up at Theale to catch a bus replacement service and it was just two mini buses! Shocking.

Is there anything in this country we can do properly?
SirWilliam
QUOTE (On the edge @ Jul 12 2018, 05:13 PM) *
Is there anything in this country we can do properly?

Yes.........Organise protest marches against a democratically elected leader who, at the time of writing, has not done a lot wrong, or right for that matter, but the lefty lunatics see fit to vilify him as the antichrist in an organised manner that would have a nod of approval from a military general.
Don't these people have jobs? Me thinks the question rhetorical. angry.gif
TallDarkAndHandsome
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jul 12 2018, 05:00 PM) *

Or the one where half the passengers have to disembark on the 0700 service for health and safety reasons. And now one stupid cow complained that the bus had no safety belts. Now the M4 is off limits and my journey time has doubled. Love that A4....not. And why is the GWR twiiter feed now permanently in rainbow? It will soon be compulsory to be gay. I dont care what people do in there bl00dy spare time. I just want to get to work!!!!

I guess these people are the same ones protesting against the 63 million people that democratically elected president Trump. Oh and they probably celebrated the Croatia win...
SirWilliam
QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Jul 12 2018, 08:33 PM) *
Or the one where half the passengers have to disembark on the 0700 service for health and safety reasons. And now one stupid cow complained that the bus had no safety belts. Now the M4 is off limits and my journey time has doubled. Love that A4....not. And why is the GWR twiiter feed now permanently in rainbow? It will soon be compulsory to be gay. I dont care what people do in there bl00dy spare time. I just want to get to work!!!!

I guess these people are the same ones protesting against the 63 million people that democratically elected president Trump. Oh and they probably celebrated the Croatia win...

What is a cow doing on the train in the first place? Little wonder the carriages are full. Unless of course it is a LGT bovine then it can travel unhindered. rolleyes.gif
Biker1
And why is the GWR twiiter feed now permanently in rainbow? It will soon be compulsory to be gay. I dont care what people do in there bl00dy spare time. I just want to get to work!!!!

Yep, they've even painted one of the new IET's (the new Hitachi trains) in rainbow gay! (Or pride!.)
Maybe it's the first step towards gay only trains!! laugh.gif (Or is it LBQT or something?)
Andy Capp

I used to get the 07:10 rathet than that bus. It is worth thinking about Didcot too.
newres

I thought they were protesting against him coming here? Anyway, are you going to invent any more home towns?
TallDarkAndHandsome
QUOTE (newres @ Jul 13 2018, 10:00 PM) *
I thought they were protesting against him coming here? Anyway, are you going to invent any more home towns?

What? My family are from Stoke.You need educating. By the way I along with most people thought that the trump blimp was a complete fail and the majority of protesters were to say the least, odd. But hey at least they were allowed to protest.. Looking forward to the khan blimp. Should be MUCH bigger as a lot more money was crowdfunded. Happy days.
TallDarkAndHandsome
QUOTE (newres @ Jul 13 2018, 10:00 PM) *

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Stat...approval_rating

Interesting... seems he is more popular than ever... 👍
On the edge
QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Jul 13 2018, 10:32 PM) *
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Stat...approval_rating

Interesting... seems he is more popular than ever... 👍

I can't stand the man, BUT he's doing exactly what 'it says on the tin'. That's sticking up for and vigerously supporting his country and the majority of its people. Trade is a good example, he'll give us a trade deal, of course he will. but that doesn't mean it will be an easy ride, he'll put America first - which is what our negotiators should expect and, for us, do the same. That's a negotiation grown up style.
On the edge
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jul 13 2018, 07:00 PM) *
I used to get the 07:10 rathet than that bus. It is worth thinking about Didcot too.

I must admit, I'm honestly looking forward to your first post after this lot is finished! For me, that's going to be the acid test.
SirWilliam
QUOTE (On the edge @ Jul 14 2018, 07:33 AM) *
I can't stand the man, BUT he's doing exactly what 'it says on the tin'. That's sticking up for and vigerously supporting his country and the majority of its people. Trade is a good example, he'll give us a trade deal, of course he will. but that doesn't mean it will be an easy ride, he'll put America first - which is what our negotiators should expect and, for us, do the same. That's a negotiation grown up style.

I think, ( therefore I am rolleyes.gif ), we have had it so easy over the years within our cosy european cartel that "doing hard business" in the wider world is going to be akin to having the electric cut off for a year. We will survive and prosper but only by a leap of faith.
SirWilliam
QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Jul 13 2018, 10:30 PM) *
What? My family are from Stoke.You need educating. By the way I along with most people thought that the trump blimp was a complete fail and the majority of protesters were to say the least, odd. But hey at least they were allowed to protest.. Looking forward to the khan blimp. Should be MUCH bigger as a lot more money was crowdfunded. Happy days.

The blimp may have failed to achieve, (whatever that was?), but the vision of rentayob has circulated the globe and our world standing is now one of derision just because a vociferous element believes they have some god given right to pour unsubstantiated criticism on a democratically elected leader just because he is prone to the odd crass remark. The cynic in me questions the real motive behind this hysteria as I am sure it can't just be down to ignorance.
On the blimp note, how many of mini PLASTIC Trumps have ended up in the Thames/ hedgerows etc? Caring lot aren't they. angry.gif
On the edge
QUOTE (SirWilliam @ Jul 14 2018, 11:12 AM) *
The blimp may have failed to achieve, (whatever that was?), but the vision of rentayob has circulated the globe and our world standing is now one of derision just because a vociferous element believes they have some god given right to pour unsubstantiated criticism on a democratically elected leader just because he is prone to the odd crass remark. The cynic in me questions the real motive behind this hysteria as I am sure it can't just be down to ignorance.
On the blimp note, how many of mini PLASTIC Trumps have ended up in the Thames/ hedgerows etc? Caring lot aren't they. angry.gif

The term 'useful fools' comes to mind.

In the fall of the Obama season, I recall being at a Dinner given by a very specialist health care charity. Apart from the appropriate UK luninaries, I wondered why there were so many 'Chief Executives' from the UK branches of the big US health care firms. What could they possibly want over here, apart from some nibbles at GP surgeries. As the evening wore on, it became blindingly obvious. Implementing 'Obama care' was seen by our 'useful fools' as delivering an NHS in the US, and so, be the perfect, modern model to adopt to replace our own NHS. And who would step in to 'help' HMG deliver this saintly change and thus save the UK's health service? Why, these big US firms of course!

Obama care was very very far from our model and in reality nothing more than an insurance adjustment, but what difference do real facts make to useful fools. Little wonder the US Liberal establishment detest Donald Trump and all his works.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.