Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A plea for sanity.
Newbury Today Forum > Categories > Random Rants
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Jayjay
Could I put in a plea for a little sanity on the forum for a few days? I am tired of people deliberately misunderstanding the point, senseless, pointless rambles about family members and just the sheer banality of some of the recent posts.

I like light hearted posts, I really do, I enjoy most of ce's remininiciencies, I enjoy a good debate and fully understand how and why a post can go from one subject to another, but I am not enjoying the forum at the moment.

Did anyone else notice that there was no section of the forum on the letters page of NWN this week? I wonder why? sad.gif
Bloggo
QUOTE (Jayjay @ May 10 2012, 03:31 PM) *
Could I put in a plea for a little sanity on the forum for a few days? I am tired of people deliberately misunderstanding the point, senseless, pointless rambles about family members and just the sheer banality of some of the recent posts.

I like light hearted posts, I really do, I enjoy most of ce's remininiciencies, I enjoy a good debate and fully understand how and why a post can go from one subject to another, but I am not enjoying the forum at the moment.

Did anyone else notice that there was no section of the forum on the letters page of NWN this week? I wonder why? sad.gif

I totally agree and if one particular individual continues to post sensless and idiotic comments I will call Admin and if they don't do anything I shall resign from this forum.
andy1979uk

I am probably as guilty as anyone else for pulling topics in the wrong direction but I do find certain people on here unable to listen to another point of view.
Bloggo
QUOTE (andy1979uk @ May 10 2012, 03:38 PM) *
I am probably as guilty as anyone else for pulling topics in the wrong direction but I do find certain people on here unable to listen to another point of view.

That's not the issue for me, it is the banal nonsense being posted that is bringing this forum down.
JeffG
I have only one poster on ignore - the only time I have ever felt it necessary to do so.
andy1979uk
QUOTE (JeffG @ May 10 2012, 03:51 PM) *
I have only one poster on ignore - the only time I have ever felt it necessary to do so.

(Not you, Andy, but you came close in one thread smile.gif)

Am sure I have russled a few feathers, did'nt know you could ignore people to be honest or I would have ignored jaycakes.
JeffG
Ha you are too quick for me - I edited that bit out, as there is more than one "Andy" on these forums.
Roger T
I do find certain people on here unable to listen to another point of view.

Like yourself.
And everyone, really. If people want to complain and whine and debate then do that, maybe people do not like to take life so seriously. For me it is not a problem. Join in and enjoy where you so desire, really.
A forum is a bit like a buffet cart. Lots of different things, some you may not like. The joyous thing is that you can have what you like, without having to have the things you don't. Om nom, as I think the cookie-monster goes.
I have not been around long enough, to know about the forum from before but, seems OK to me. Maybe some take situations too seriously.
massifheed
QUOTE (Bloggo @ May 10 2012, 03:41 PM) *
That's not the issue for me, it is the banal nonsense being posted that is bringing this forum down.

Agreed 100%. I have generally given up posting here because every thread at some point has a couple of posters filling it with made-up nonsense.

I would use the "other" forum, but no-one else seems to any more.

This place needs a pro-active admin to heavily prune the threads of junk.

Timbo

Hate to ***** so soon after starting to post but I have been reading the forums for about a fortnight to sort of "feeler" my way around before posting and you come across as one of the most single minded people I've ever come across. Worse and harsher words come to mind but I am not in the business of randomly insulting people, this isn't really a playground in Secondary School anymore.
Roger doesn't half ramble and talk about his Nephew but sometimes makes some good points, just takes a bit of effort to understand. Not really a bother to me. Nothing Much doesn't seem to add much to discussions in terms of content at all, but personally have no problem with that.

Bloggo mate if you want to resign from the forum then go ahead, personally I don't think anyone will mind; to say "Oh, so and so is annoying me and if you don't do something about it I am going to stomp out"... sounds just like some the whiney little kids I used to teach. (And they said I was one of the nice teachers..).
At present as an exclusive reader for several weeks I see no "Insanity" on the forum whatsoever..
andy1979uk
QUOTE (Timbo @ May 10 2012, 04:53 PM) *
Hate to ***** so soon after starting to post but I have been reading the forums for about a fortnight to sort of "feeler" my way around before posting and you come across as one of the most single minded people I've ever come across. Worse and harsher words come to mind but I am not in the business of randomly insulting people, this isn't really a playground in Secondary School anymore.
Roger doesn't half ramble and talk about his Nephew but sometimes makes some good points, just takes a bit of effort to understand. Not really a bother to me. Nothing Much doesn't seem to add much to discussions in terms of content at all, but personally have no problem with that.

Bloggo mate if you want to resign from the forum then go ahead, personally I don't think anyone will mind; to say "Oh, so and so is annoying me and if you don't do something about it I am going to stomp out"... sounds just like some the whiney little kids I used to teach. (And they said I was one of the nice teachers..).
At present as an exclusive reader for several weeks I see no "Insanity" on the forum whatsoever..

not to single anyone out at all ?
Timbo
Well, I see you making comments about other people (I presume jaycakes is a member but I caught glance of a mention of him being banned?) so figured that sort of thing was alright around here. And since Bloggo made such a point about his perceived self-importance then why shouldn't I notice that too?

I don't wish to seem confrontational (perhaps too late now? Sorry if that's the case) but I've been using forums for about 8 or 9 years now, when they started off being used in ernest, and have never liked such self-importance, people going "either x goes or I go.." - Not conducive to a forum. In that time as well I have never added anyone to an ignore list, no matter how irritating they are. Because then by ignoring them, when/if they do make an interesting point, I would be ignorant to that point, in turn making me more ignorant than they were to begin with. It's like when you are in a situation in real life where you dislike someone's personality, perhaps at a meeting or a party, you can't simply add them to an ignore list. It's easy being nice to people you like but, it takes a great deal more skill to be nice to someone you don't like.

This is the only "debating" forum one that I've signed up to, the others are for specific areas of interest eg hobbies or certain video simulation games I have been playing since my late teens years. I don't like out right debating because, generally, it's more about egos that ideas. Which is a shame. People are and should be free to post what they like whether or not it bores you.

Which is why, in your case Andy, I don't mind that you post (in my eyes) single minded comments because they are your comments at the end of the day, and add to the discussion, for better or for worse, whether they are on topic or not.
Cheers.
GMR

They don't always have a section for the forum in the letters' page.

As for sanity; what is one man's meat is another ones poison. Somebody is always going to upset somebody else. Others will get on with those that upset others. This forum gives people of expression a voice; no matter what rubbish one member things that expression is. The only time admin should interfere is if somebody is being attacked or abused. Then that should be dealt with immediately.

Another point; humour. Humour is subjective. One person will think it is funny, another will be insulted. Open forums can't please everybody. The rule of thumb is; if you don't like something then ignore it. Allow those that do enjoy a particular post (while nobody else does) that privilege. We are not going to please everybody; and that is because we are all individuals with our own quirkiness and uniqueness. We all can't and shouldn't conform to one man's ideal of what is right.

I must say - concerning admin on this forum - that they've shown fairness and basically kept out of things (allowing free speech, even when that free speech is critical to the NWN), unless it is beyond the pale. For that we should be grateful.
Nothing Much
Well Timbo you are all lucky. My self deleted posts would make a forum full!.
I agree I can't add much. But I grew up in Newbury. It has changed 3 times since I left.
I can't say much about Parkway, Parking charges or Pubs even.
So I only pop in a post here and there. I visit the town every so often.
I do have fond memories.
ce
Timbo
Well put (GMR)
NothingMuch, I do not mind you posting in the way you do, in a way I was trying to defend people like you and RogerT who don't necessarily offer up as much to the discussion as others. (although that point is debatable). So far you two are the only people who's posts I've read and not immediately thought you were dull.
GMR
Replied to the wrong post. Deleted
GMR
QUOTE (Roger T @ May 10 2012, 04:00 PM) *
Like yourself.
And everyone, really. If people want to complain and whine and debate then do that, maybe people do not like to take life so seriously. For me it is not a problem. Join in and enjoy where you so desire, really.
A forum is a bit like a buffet cart. Lots of different things, some you may not like. The joyous thing is that you can have what you like, without having to have the things you don't. Om nom, as I think the cookie-monster goes.
I have not been around long enough, to know about the forum from before but, seems OK to me. Maybe some take situations too seriously.

I wonder why nobody else uses it? Maybe because the few dictated over the many what they wanted; instead of allowing free expression.
Strafin
I'm glad somebody finally said it! The inane rambling has become too much to bear, and yes I can ignore it BUT I try and read all posts in order to have a full understanding of the conversation. Posts go off topic, that is fine, I disagree with people that is fine also, but the long pieces unrelated to anything by Nothing Much and Roger T have no place on most of the threads. Perhaps people could start more new threads if they want a conversation about something new?
GMR
QUOTE (massifheed @ May 10 2012, 04:03 PM) *
Agreed 100%. I have generally given up posting here because every thread at some point has a couple of posters filling it with made-up nonsense.

I would use the "other" forum, but no-one else seems to any more.

This place needs a pro-active admin to heavily prune the threads of junk.

I wonder why nobody else uses it? Maybe because the few dictated over the many what they wanted; instead of allowing free expression
Roger T
I like this forum, I can engage in conversation, and ramble, all in one post combined.
Strafin, maybe I will try to have my conversation first, and then ramble afterwards, if that would help keep things clear. I know simply text passages can be hard to follow

In a related ramble, the Nephew had some mock GCSEs recently. He took them early. In which, he was given an article, maybe a holiday advert, and asked to decide what certain key points were, maybe the things that the advertiser is trying to portray to the reader, and identify statements. I heard he managed a B in his English mock so imagine he could decipher my posts. Maybe I will ask.
I can only guess if people want to become irate at their computer screen, they can have the pleasure of using my old Windows 98 PC, which is dusty and in the basement.

Timbo, maybe a bit harsh. I try to add to the discussion but, get side tracked..unfortunately or fortunately, depends really I suppose. Apologies if it offends but, passes the time and, makes me chuckle as I remember things.
To some perhaps, the "inane ramblings" of some of the serious, argumentative types on here, is too much to bear but, don't see many complaints going the other way.
Nothing Much
Strafin my posts are usually as I once mentioned at the end of a thread when the buffers are in sight.
They are often relevant to an idea or thought expressed in the earlier more contemporary issues.
Those which I wouldn't wish to disrupt. You can't airbrush old anecdotes.... Look only 3 lines. ce. Not coke...
user23
You can use the Ignore function here.

I've blocked a couple of users who I consider to be trolls.

It really does remove the temptation to get into a pointless argument, which is what they want.
GMR
QUOTE (Roger T @ May 10 2012, 05:31 PM) *
I like this forum, I can engage in conversation, and ramble, all in one post combined.
Strafin, maybe I will try to have my conversation first, and then ramble afterwards, if that would help keep things clear. I know simply text passages can be hard to follow

In a related ramble, the Nephew had some mock GCSEs recently. He took them early. In which, he was given an article, maybe a holiday advert, and asked to decide what certain key points were, maybe the things that the advertiser is trying to portray to the reader, and identify statements. I heard he managed a B in his English mock so imagine he could decipher my posts. Maybe I will ask.
I can only guess if people want to become irate at their computer screen, they can have the pleasure of using my old Windows 98 PC, which is dusty and in the basement.

Timbo, maybe a bit harsh. I try to add to the discussion but, get side tracked..unfortunately or fortunately, depends really I suppose. Apologies if it offends but, passes the time and, makes me chuckle as I remember things.
To some perhaps, the "inane ramblings" of some of the serious, argumentative types on here, is too much to bear but, don't see many complaints going the other way.

Roger; you shouldn't allow one or a few to dictate to you how you will write. Be yourself and if people have a problem with you then it is their problem. The last thing we want is a forum where the few dictate to the many. You are an individual, which is unique to you. If people have issues with that then they could always visit a psychiatrist for help or take tranquilizers or just ignore you; or.... get a f***ing life!
Andy Capp
I like the forum, abuse and all; an opportunity to get a few things off your chest. It's only words. Ignore function is for girls! tongue.gif

My basic tenet is treat as treated, but we ALL don't appreciate how rude we can be be sometimes, but hay-ho.
Nothing Much
Good point Andy Capp. That is why I delete most stuff after 23.00 (and 11.00 as well).
I am never rude, keep a good anecdote up the sleeves for another day!
ce
GMR
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ May 10 2012, 06:20 PM) *
I like the forum, abuse and all; an opportunity to get a few things off your chest. It's only words. Ignore function is for girls! tongue.gif

My basic tenet is treat as treated, but we ALL don't appreciate how rude we can be be sometimes, but hay-ho.

Good post. wink.gif
Nothing Much
I gave up on Sanity Clauses a long time ago.
I don't mind a couple of posters having differing views.
I understand RogerT. And when I look at my posts later
I think oh Delphi I am too late to delete.
So I am in the same oracle or coracle.ce
Cognosco
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ May 10 2012, 06:20 PM) *

Or those who have no answer to a post and have to accept defeat! rolleyes.gif
Andy Capp
If I upset anyone, all they need to do is PM me and I'll sort it. I've done it before now and apologised as well. I am fairly sure I'm not usually the first person to start a 'fight', but I won't back down if it means something to me.

Anyone that uses the forum to iron dirty washing is just 'asking for it'.

PS. No Andy, I don't like people having a different opinion to me. That is why I argue! tongue.gif
Nothing Much
I have only a few minutes before I self ban....I should have been enjoying Da Mosta and Shakespeare.
I have enough of that coming up.Old Vic and Eve Best in the Duchess of Malfi. A tale of torture, murder,
incest, and "Exeunt followed by a bear". How is that for a bit of irrelevant tosh? It should be fun.

The other forum is bit of a dead duck. Which is a shame. I log on here because it moves.
"That's it folks". ce
Andy Capp
"Better to be hated for what you are, than loved for what you are not!"
Strafin
Andy Capp is a posting genius tonight! I agree with at least his last three. I had a terrible day at work so might have been a bit grumpy earlier. Live and let live.
Timbo
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ May 10 2012, 09:27 PM) *
If I upset anyone, all they need to do is PM me and I'll sort it. I've done it before now and apologised as well. I am fairly sure I'm not usually the first person to start a 'fight', but I won't back down if it means something to me.

Anyone that uses the forum to iron dirty washing is just 'asking for it'.

PS. No Andy, I don't like people having a different opinion to me. That is why I argue! tongue.gif

I quite agree (on this and your other posts on this topic). You seem like a reasonable bloke.
The problem is I find the other "Andy" is more of a troll than a poster interested in discussion.. So I wonder how long until the next person complains about how someone posts..probably one of the "self important" people.
Shall I start the betting?

andy1979uk
QUOTE (Timbo @ May 11 2012, 09:26 AM) *
I quite agree (on this and your other posts on this topic). You seem like a reasonable bloke.
The problem is I find the other "Andy" is more of a troll than a poster interested in discussion.. So I wonder how long until the next person complains about how someone posts..probably one of the "self important" people.
Shall I start the betting?

There is no way I am a troll, I just dont agree with people like Roger and the whole allotment thing with Simon.
Nothing Much
But then you would have no one to argue/talk with.... like a forum elsewhere.
ce
Timbo
QUOTE (andy1979uk @ May 11 2012, 09:47 AM) *
There is no way I am a troll, I just dont agree with people like Roger and the whole allotment thing with Simon.

And that's fine but you don't need to constantly shove it in their faces.. Roger seems a bit weird for someone as old as he is (I would guess, I read he was in his early 40s but apologies if wrong) but seems a very reasonable guy, might not always agree with him but hey, and Simon's allotment issues have been going on longer than I can be bothered to read back but seems that the council are out of line, you seem to only see the £ signs and blame Simon for the £8,000 cost, and I guess you're one of those people who think tax-payers money is entirely yours.
andy1979uk
QUOTE (Timbo @ May 11 2012, 09:57 AM) *
And that's fine but you don't need to constantly shove it in their faces.. Roger seems a bit weird for someone as old as he is (I would guess, I read he was in his early 40s but apologies if wrong) but seems a very reasonable guy, might not always agree with him but hey, and Simon's allotment issues have been going on longer than I can be bothered to read back but seems that the council are out of line, you seem to only see the £ signs and blame Simon for the £8,000 cost, and I guess you're one of those people who think tax-payers money is entirely yours.

See there is not need to rude, I dont think tax payers money is mine but I just think Simon has wasted his time on such a trivial matter. Roger can be annoying as he does witter on about his nephew. He had the cheek to say he was worried about my child when he does'nt even have anhy of his own.
Baffers100
As somebody who read the forums for a while before posting, and an apprehensive poster due to some characters who flare up on this, I feel I need to add my two penneth.

I really don't think that it is right to single out people who you disagree with or who you've taken a dislike to, and I feel that the name and shame path that this thread is taking is rather petty and unnecessary.

As previous posters have mentioned, there is the facility to 'ignore' people should you not be able to just rise above any comments that rile you. Not forgetting that if we all thought and felt the same about everything, forums and debating would be bland in general.

There are people on here who sometimes come across as a bit hot-headed and arsy, but in other points they sound totally reasonable, and to be fair the sort of people I would happily share a pint with in the local pub. We all have off days and bad moods and of course this can be reflected in our posts.

Seriously, if you do have an issue with one individual, either 'ignore,' send them a post and take it up with them personally, or shut up. Where is the freedom of expression if everything I have to say has to be screened and approved by everyone else???
Timbo
QUOTE (andy1979uk @ May 11 2012, 10:02 AM) *
See there is not need to rude, I dont think tax payers money is mine but I just think Simon has wasted his time on such a trivial matter. Roger can be annoying as he does witter on about his nephew. He had the cheek to say he was worried about my child when he does'nt even have anhy of his own.

Well to Simon maybe it's not a trivial matter, perhaps as for Roger his Nephew is a big part of his life. Wittering on or not some of his stories are pretty interesting. Ah well. Let's agree to disagree on the matter.
Andy Capp
QUOTE (andy1979uk @ May 11 2012, 10:02 AM) *
I dont think tax payers money is mine but I just think Simon has wasted his time on such a trivial matter.

He has wasted a lot of time and money, but I disagree that an allegedly misbehaving council is a trivial matter. This area lacks a decent opposition, or at least one that is focused on good principles ahead of headline seeking. That is why it is important for people like Simon to do as they do. The only thing Simon got wrong was his application.

As for the topic: I wouldn't want people to think I'm trying to tell them what to do or post. I prefer to argue the point in front of me and it is up to the person to make their own mind up. I don't like to attack the person behind a post, but I will retaliate if I feel a need to.
massifheed
QUOTE (GMR @ May 10 2012, 05:39 PM) *
...you shouldn't allow one or a few to dictate to you how you will write. Be yourself and if people have a problem with you then it is their problem. If people have issues with that then they could always visit a psychiatrist for help or take tranquilizers or just ignore you; or.... get a f***ing life!

I can't agree with this really. You should, of course, be yourself. But if you are posting on a forum that is provided free of charge and owned by someone else, you should probably bear in mind that - to an extent - they will dictate how you post. And you should also show some respect for Admin's role in trying to keep the place working well. If you post pages of drivel (no, I'm not singling anyone out - we are all guilty at times) or drag threads off topic then it makes it harder for everyone to keep up with things, and makes Admin's job harder to moderate. If you keep your posts on-topic, or at least relevent, then it's better for the thread and the forum. I realise that might stifle some people's "creativity".

I also find the "it's everyone else's problem" point of view to be really rather rude. If I were to act like a complete **** all of the time and just put it down to "being me", then it wouldn't be everyone else's problem - it would be mine.

Obviously, no-one here is that extreme, but the point is still valid. If I choose to drag threads off topic and talk rubbish, then that also isn't anyone else's problem that they should have to deal with, it would be mine. I should display the common courtesy to keep off topic ramblings to a thread created for that purpose.

Aside from here and the "other" forum, there is one more forum that I post on, and that one works excellently because it is heavily moderated. There is a General section, where people can post off topic stuff, but even that is pruned. Everyone knows the rules and sticks to them, and as a result threads like this one never appear because the problem in question doesn't occurr.

Timbo
If this forum had an off topic section for rambling then perhaps people would do that..

Even Nothing Much and Roger T's rambles are at least related to the topic somehow, no matter how loosely. As for threads being dragged off topics, just as in real life conversation you may end up talking about football and before you know it you've navigated onto how Sarah Jessica Parker looks like a horse. If you want threads to remain exactly on topic you will find that they are very short and very dull.

I see little admin action here and that's probably a good thing. It allows the forum to find it's natural flow and while I may dislike some posters none of them need censoring or banning, and no posts need removing..
dannyboy
QUOTE (GMR @ May 10 2012, 05:22 PM) *
I wonder why nobody else uses it? Maybe because the few dictated over the many what they wanted; instead of allowing free expression

Cos the owner of the other forum deletes accounts when he feels like it.

Mind you this forum is becoming very much an old boys club.....
Andy Capp
QUOTE (dannyboy @ May 11 2012, 01:20 PM) *
Cos the owner of the other forum deletes accounts when he feels like it.

Mind you this forum is becoming very much an old boys club.....

How? As far as I know, most of us don't know each other and have little to do with the forums administration. No-one on here can dictate what goes on other than admin.
dannyboy
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ May 11 2012, 01:35 PM) *
How? As far as I know, most of us don't know each other and have little to do with the forums administration. No-one on here can dictate what goes on other than admin.

Not on the admin side, ( that is the other forum ) it is more to do with the posters. If you wear the 'I hate the council tie' then you are a member.
Andy Capp
QUOTE (dannyboy @ May 11 2012, 01:41 PM) *
Not on the admin side, ( that is the other forum ) it is more to do with the posters. If you wear the 'I hate the council tie' then you are a member.

We shouldn't mention the 'Council Club', eh? tongue.gif
dannyboy
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ May 11 2012, 01:48 PM) *
We shouldn't mention the 'Council Club', eh? tongue.gif

what both of us?
Timbo
QUOTE (dannyboy @ May 11 2012, 01:41 PM) *

I have seen some people who post negative comments about the council have their posts deleted... so perhaps there is a pressure on the forum, from the council? And as a free member of the press, NWN should say "no" and tell them to bugger off! wink.gif
Roger T
I think a general lack of sanity is required.
To post on the forums that is. If I was a normal 40 (something) year old, I would not be posting here. I tried to get Mrs T to sign up, as well. She took a look for 5 minutes and just goes "No, you're all bleeding mental" and walked off. huh.gif
dannyboy
QUOTE (Timbo @ May 11 2012, 02:12 PM) *
I have seen some people who post negative comments about the council have their posts deleted... so perhaps there is a pressure on the forum, from the council? And as a free member of the press, NWN should say "no" and tell them to bugger off! wink.gif

Nope - that will be the NWN deleting slanderous / personal / insensitive posts.

The thread about the Headley Ford tragedy was similarly deleted.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.