> Just a LITTLE bit against the law...
Exhausted
post Aug 5 2013, 05:21 PM
Post #61

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 320

QUOTE (spartacus @ Aug 4 2013, 09:46 AM) *
We ARE talking about Newbury, Berkshire rather than Newbury, Massachusetts aren't we?

I was struggling to find the correct word. It isn't really the pavement but could be the footpath so sidewalk, ie the area between the designated road and the buildings, seemed correct.
I'm happy enough to use the odd American word although I don't like their spelling sometimes, including the use of the z and dropping the u.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Aug 5 2013, 08:29 PM
Post #62

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

I believe the pavement is what the Americans drive their automobiles on. Funny old world, innit?

+Quote Post
DJE
post Aug 9 2013, 10:01 PM
Post #63

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,761

Back to the OP.

Pickles' suggestion was stupid.

Parking restrictions are (supposedly) there to ensure flow of traffic (not to raise revenue for councils BTW wink.gif )

So if it is OK to park there for limited periods, why are the yellow lines there in the first place?

+Quote Post
Berkshirelad
post Aug 9 2013, 10:05 PM
Post #64

Advanced Member

Member No.: 271

QUOTE (DJE @ Aug 9 2013, 11:01 PM) *
Back to the OP.

Pickles' suggestion was stupid.

Parking restrictions are (supposedly) there to ensure flow of traffic (not to raise revenue for councils BTW wink.gif )

So if it is OK to park there for limited periods, why are the yellow lines there in the first place?

If it is OK for a delivery driver to park to deliver/or collect and it is OK for a Blue Badge holder to park for 3 hours what is so wrong about anybody else parking for a few minutes?

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Aug 10 2013, 09:38 AM
Post #65

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

QUOTE (Berkshirelad @ Aug 9 2013, 11:05 PM) *
If it is OK for a delivery driver to park to deliver/or collect and it is OK for a Blue Badge holder to park for 3 hours what is so wrong about anybody else parking for a few minutes?

Define 'few minutes'... 6? 60? what about a couple of hours or all day of vehicles continually pulling up and stopping at the same place?

We have enough trouble round where my friends live with people that just dump their cars half on half off the pavement which makes it difficult to get past (impossible of they're pushing their kids in a buggy) and that's where there aren't any yellow lines.

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Aug 10 2013, 11:49 AM
Post #66

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

A reasonable point - but one that stresses the daftness of double yellow lines. There are evidently places where no one should park for even a minute. Then there is the other extreme of places where councils seem to put double yellows just because they want to fill their car parks.

Presumably anyone parking legitimately on double yellows (in terms of the yellow line legislation) can still be done for causing an obstruction if applicable?

+Quote Post
DJE
post Aug 10 2013, 08:45 PM
Post #67

Advanced Member

If it is OK for a delivery driver to park to deliver/or collect and it is OK for a Blue Badge holder to park for 3 hours why are there yellow lines in the first place?

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Aug 10 2013, 09:26 PM
Post #68

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (DJE @ Aug 10 2013, 09:45 PM) *
If it is OK for a delivery driver to park to deliver/or collect and it is OK for a Blue Badge holder to park for 3 hours why are there yellow lines in the first place?

To stop drivers who are not either delivering something or displaying a blue disc park. These that fall into the former categories make up a tiny percentage of road users.

A delivery driver can be there for a few mins at most & only 1.4% of the population are registered disabled, never mind what the % of those actually drive & hold a blue badge.

+Quote Post
DJE
post Aug 10 2013, 11:34 PM
Post #69

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Aug 10 2013, 10:26 PM) *
To stop drivers who are not either delivering something or displaying a blue disc park. These that fall into the former categories make up a tiny percentage of road users.

A delivery driver can be there for a few mins at most & only 1.4% of the population are registered disabled, never mind what the % of those actually drive & hold a blue badge.

So, assuming that there is a valid reason for the parking restriction (i.e. to facilitate traffic flow and prevent parking that would cause a hazard) we tolerate or allow a small minority, on compassionate grounds, to park there anyway as we (implicitly) are assumed to regard this as a fair inconvenience to the rest of us. Fine.

And if Mr Pickles decides to park up and block the road for 15 minutes (and in his case the public footpath with his not inconsiderable bulk) while he waddles 5 yards to Greggs to collect a pie, how is that justified? Able-bodied people inconveniencing traffic for their own convenience does not fill me with feelings of compassion and tolerance.

On the other hand, if such acts, repeated throughout the day by countless able-bodied people, do not cause a hazard nor disruption to traffic, I ask again, why should there be a parking restriction there in the first place?

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Aug 11 2013, 12:20 AM
Post #70

Advanced Member

QUOTE (DJE @ Aug 11 2013, 12:34 AM) *
So, assuming that there is a valid reason for the parking restriction (i.e. to facilitate traffic flow and prevent parking that would cause a hazard) we tolerate or allow a small minority, on compassionate grounds, to park there anyway as we (implicitly) are assumed to regard this as a fair inconvenience to the rest of us. Fine.

And if Mr Pickles decides to park up and block the road for 15 minutes (and in his case the public footpath with his not inconsiderable bulk) while he waddles 5 yards to Greggs to collect a pie, how is that justified? Able-bodied people inconveniencing traffic for their own convenience does not fill me with feelings of compassion and tolerance.

On the other hand, if such acts, repeated throughout the day by countless able-bodied people, do not cause a hazard nor disruption to traffic, I ask again, why should there be a parking restriction there in the first place?

You assume that the parking would be non stop under Pickles' idea. I doubt this. Even in Newbury pre 10am Northbrook St is fairly clear.

Where as a total parking free for all would see all of the town centre roads full of cars parked for the entire working day who's drivers wished to avoid a parking charge.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Aug 11 2013, 12:41 AM
Post #71

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Aug 11 2013, 01:20 AM) *
You assume that the parking would be non stop under Pickles' idea. I doubt this. Even in Newbury pre 10am Northbrook Street is pretty clear

It's a no parking zone with enforcement officers patrolling it, so that's not particularly surprising.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Aug 11 2013, 01:16 AM
Post #72

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ Aug 11 2013, 01:41 AM) *
It's a no parking zone with enforcement officers patrolling it, so that's not particularly surprising.

I suggest you pop along one morning.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Aug 11 2013, 07:28 AM
Post #73

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

I'm there with alarming regularity, what's your point though?

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Aug 11 2013, 09:44 AM
Post #74

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (Strafin @ Aug 11 2013, 08:28 AM) *

dannyboy likes to drip-feed his opinions. wink.gif

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Aug 11 2013, 10:35 AM
Post #75

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ Aug 11 2013, 08:28 AM) *

that the 3 hours of free for all, each morning, not with standing the alleged patrol of the 'green meanies', along Northbrook St is bad enough without Pickles endorsing it all day long.

Park, Pay & Walk.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Aug 11 2013, 10:36 AM
Post #76

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Aug 11 2013, 10:44 AM) *
dannyboy likes to drip-feed his opinions. wink.gif

I like to keep you entertained rather than get to the money shot all in one go.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Aug 11 2013, 12:20 PM
Post #77

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Aug 11 2013, 11:36 AM) *
I like to keep you entertained rather than get to the money shot all in one go.

laugh.gif

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 07:30 AM