> Muppets Riding Without Bike Lights
Biker1
post Dec 1 2014, 08:15 AM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 103

QUOTE (Man in orange hat @ Dec 1 2014, 08:51 AM) *
What if it had been an unlit pedestrian?

Pedestrians should take the same precautions. I wouldn't walk along an unlit country road in black clothing with no light.
QUOTE (Man in orange hat @ Dec 1 2014, 08:51 AM) *
If you were only two or three seconds away, you were going too fast for the conditions.

I knew someone would say that. rolleyes.gif
The conditions were..............dark!!
What speed should one do on an unlit country road? I was doing approximately 30.
I am amazed that people will defend and obvious unsafe and illegal act!! ohmy.gif
(Please bear in mind that there are some drivers out there who cannot see to read a blatant road sign telling them not cross a bridge even in broad daylight!! laugh.gif )
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
part time
post Dec 2 2014, 08:57 AM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 171

I ride a bike to work most days. In regard to cycle paths I can confirm that the one along Shaw Crescent is impassible at some times due to pavement parking so far over you are forced into the bushes that border the field. My route also takes me along the Turnpike Road. The junctions for Avon Way and Gaywood Drive while using the cyclepath are incredibly badly implemented from a cyclists point of view. The drop kerbs are way down the roads you are crossing with poor visibility of oncoming traffic using the mini roundabouts. I don't blame cyclists one bit for avoiding them and using the road instead.

+Quote Post
newres
post Dec 2 2014, 04:49 PM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,961

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Dec 1 2014, 08:15 AM) *
Pedestrians should take the same precautions. I wouldn't walk along an unlit country road in black clothing with no light.

I knew someone would say that. rolleyes.gif
The conditions were..............dark!!
What speed should one do on an unlit country road? I was doing approximately 30.
I am amazed that people will defend and obvious unsafe and illegal act!! ohmy.gif
(Please bear in mind that there are some drivers out there who cannot see to read a blatant road sign telling them not cross a bridge even in broad daylight!! laugh.gif )

The thing is though that your posts betray a resentment towards cyclists and a laissez-faire attitude towards your responsibility as a car user towards their safety.

+Quote Post
The Hatter
post Dec 2 2014, 05:07 PM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,046

Some car drivers think they can do just what they want just because they pay a few pounds road tax. My GF lives off Pear Tree Lane and we walk to and from town. Some times it is pretty hard to keep on the pavement because of parked cars and it's pretty bad on the estate roads and Kiln Hill. They even park on the grass verge digging it up and making a mess. People parking on pavements are a bigger danger at night than a few bikes without lights.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Dec 2 2014, 06:37 PM
Post #25

Advanced Member

QUOTE (newres @ Dec 2 2014, 05:49 PM) *
The thing is though that your posts betray a resentment towards cyclists

Incorrect.
I have a resentment towards inconsiderate, law breaking cyclists.
QUOTE (newres @ Dec 2 2014, 05:49 PM) *
and a laissez-faire attitude towards your responsibility as a car user towards their safety.

Incorrect.
I would NEVER deliberately put a cyclist, law breaker or not, in danger through my driving / riding.

+Quote Post
HJD
post Dec 2 2014, 06:50 PM
Post #26

Advanced Member

Member No.: 322

QUOTE (The Hatter @ Dec 2 2014, 05:07 PM) *
Some car drivers think they can do just what they want just because they pay a few pounds road tax. My GF lives off Pear Tree Lane and we walk to and from town. Some times it is pretty hard to keep on the pavement because of parked cars and it's pretty bad on the estate roads and Kiln Hill. They even park on the grass verge digging it up and making a mess. People parking on pavements are a bigger danger at night than a few bikes without lights.

I'm sure a lot of these car owners would welcome your advice on where else you think they can legally park !! rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Dec 2 2014, 07:19 PM
Post #27

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (HJD @ Dec 2 2014, 06:50 PM) *
I'm sure a lot of these car owners would welcome your advice on where else you think they can legally park !! rolleyes.gif

Oh dear, that debate again!

I must admit, I'm a bit big these days but none too steady on my feet....so if my trolley gets a bit to close to these obstructions, can I help it? See what I mean Hatter old son, specially when it's dark!

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
x2lls
post Dec 2 2014, 09:35 PM
Post #28

Advanced Member

Member No.: 511

QUOTE (The Hatter @ Dec 2 2014, 05:07 PM) *

LIKE!!

--------------------
There their, loose loser!

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Dec 2 2014, 11:00 PM
Post #29

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,104

QUOTE (On the edge @ Dec 2 2014, 07:19 PM) *
Oh dear, that debate again!

I must admit, I'm a bit big these days but none too steady on my feet....so if my trolley gets a bit to close to these obstructions, can I help it? See what I mean Hatter old son, specially when it's dark!

Oh dear, yet another thinly veiled and clumsy threat of criminal damage, wonder if you would be happy repeating that whilst under caution?

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Dec 3 2014, 07:05 AM
Post #30

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Turin Machine @ Dec 2 2014, 11:00 PM) *
Oh dear, yet another thinly veiled and clumsy threat of criminal damage, wonder if you would be happy repeating that whilst under caution?

What are you going to do if I said yes all I'm doing is pointing out that accidents happen what's more, personally I don't take care when passing obstructions in the pavement be they cars or intruding shrubs. The only muppets I see in this debate are those that think driving a car gives then an absolute right to do just what they want and the right to criticise anyone else who gets in their way. Irresponsible parking, legal or not, is just as offensive as using a bike improperly.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
x2lls
post Dec 3 2014, 03:04 PM
Post #31

Advanced Member

Member No.: 511

QUOTE (On the edge @ Dec 3 2014, 07:05 AM) *
What are you going to do if I said yes all I'm doing is pointing out that accidents happen what's more, personally I don't take care when passing obstructions in the pavement be they cars or intruding shrubs. The only muppets I see in this debate are those that think driving a car gives then an absolute right to do just what they want and the right to criticise anyone else who gets in their way. Irresponsible parking, legal or not, is just as offensive as using a bike improperly.

Well said,.

--------------------
There their, loose loser!

+Quote Post
motormad
post Dec 3 2014, 03:45 PM
Post #32

Advanced Member

Member No.: 592

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Dec 2 2014, 06:37 PM) *
I would NEVER deliberately put a cyclist, law breaker or not, in danger through my driving / riding.

I would.

--------------------
:p
Grammar: the difference between knowing your poop and knowing you're poop.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Dec 3 2014, 04:06 PM
Post #33

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Dec 3 2014, 08:05 AM) *
The only muppets I see in this debate are those that think driving a car gives then an absolute right to do just what they want and the right to criticise anyone else who gets in their way.

Who are they then?? blink.gif

QUOTE (The Hatter @ Dec 2 2014, 06:07 PM) *
People parking on pavements are a bigger danger at night than a few bikes without lights.

I'd say they were a menace rather than a danger. And certainly not as dangerous as riding a bike at night without lights which not, as you say, a few do, but many do.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Dec 3 2014, 05:37 PM
Post #34

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

Riding on the path, riding without lights, parking on the path blocking pedestrians and cyclist's way; you're all Muppets! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
newres
post Dec 3 2014, 06:11 PM
Post #35

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,961

QUOTE (motormad @ Dec 3 2014, 03:45 PM) *
I would.

Seriously? You would put knock cyclist down because they had no lights.

+Quote Post
MontyPython
post Dec 3 2014, 06:13 PM
Post #36

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,755

QUOTE (On the edge @ Dec 3 2014, 07:05 AM) *
What are you going to do if I said yes all I'm doing is pointing out that accidents happen what's more, personally I don't take care when passing obstructions in the pavement be they cars or intruding shrubs. ...

Maybe the owner of the car you damage will be similarly careless with his flailing arms which may happen to connect with your face. I don't excpect many would see it more than poetic justice given your attitude.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Dec 3 2014, 07:46 PM
Post #37

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (MontyPython @ Dec 3 2014, 06:13 PM) *
Maybe the owner of the car you damage will be similarly careless with his flailing arms which may happen to connect with your face. I don't excpect many would see it more than poetic justice given your attitude.

If one puts something where it shouldn't be (a car on a path, obstructing or partially obstructing the may), then I think they can expect an increased risk of damage, deliberate, or otherwise. Of course, two wrongs don't make a right, and no-one is entitled to purposely damage a car for no other reason than 'revenge'.

+Quote Post
MontyPython
post Dec 3 2014, 10:03 PM
Post #38

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,755

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Dec 3 2014, 07:46 PM) *
If one puts something where it shouldn't be (a car on a path, obstructing or partially obstructing the may), then I think they can expect an increased risk of damage, deliberate, or otherwise. Of course, two wrongs don't make a right, and no-one is entitled to purposely damage a car for no other reason than 'revenge'.

Exactly 3 wrongs don't make a right - but when OTE puts his trolley where it shouldn't be namely Mr Thug's car he can no doubt expect an increased risk of damage!

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Dec 3 2014, 10:39 PM
Post #39

Advanced Member

QUOTE (MontyPython @ Dec 3 2014, 10:03 PM) *
Exactly 3 wrongs don't make a right - but when OTE puts his trolley where it shouldn't be namely Mr Thug's car he can no doubt expect an increased risk of damage!

Oooh don't damage my precious car, the substitution for my manhood!! Yes, I've confronted some anti social packers. Get some interesting comments. As I told one bloke if the firm he was visiting thought him important or useful, they'd have a car parking space reserved for him. And as for someone's fist, yeah go ahead, I could do with the compo.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
part time
post Dec 4 2014, 07:32 AM
Post #40

Advanced Member

Member No.: 171

I think this whole thing can be easily summed up. If you drive a car, cyclists are *****. If you ride a bike, motorists are *****.
If you regulalry indulge in both activities, everyone is a **** biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 03:35 AM