Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Muppets Riding Without Bike Lights
Newbury Today Forum > Categories > Random Rants
Pages: 1, 2
Blake
Has anyone else noticed (or perhaps not) the proliferation of idiots riding bicycles locally without lights on after dark?

They seem to be all over the place, oblivious to the risks.

And where are the old bill to deal with them...absent as far as I can see.
user23
QUOTE (Blake @ Nov 27 2014, 03:12 PM) *
Has anyone else noticed (or perhaps not) the proliferation of idiots riding bicycles locally without lights on after dark? They seem to be all over the place, oblivious to the risks.
No. I haven't seen them.
x2lls
Did you by any chance have an altercation with a cyclist?
Perhaps you can provide an account of the reasoning behind your post.
The old bill were probably dealing with proper criminals.
newres
I've seen them, but often the fags they are smoking make them visible.
Biker1
Has anyone else noticed (or perhaps not) the proliferation of idiots riding bicycles locally without lights on after dark?

They seem to be all over the place, oblivious to the risks.

Yes
And where are the old bill to deal with them...absent as far as I can see.

They don't care.
Biker1
QUOTE (x2lls @ Nov 28 2014, 01:21 AM) *
Did you by any chance have an altercation with a cyclist?

Who hasn't?
Perhaps you can provide an account of the reasoning behind your post.

He probably has seen the many cyclists riding about at night in dark clothes with no lights and got annoyed about it as it is dangerous and thought he would bring it to others attention to see if they agreed with him?
The old bill were probably dealing with proper criminals.

Yeah right!! laugh.gif
x2lls
QUOTE (Biker1 @ Nov 28 2014, 08:15 PM) *
Who hasn't?

Me

He probably has seen the many cyclists riding about at night in dark clothes with no lights and got annoyed about it as it is dangerous and thought he would bring it to others attention to see if they agreed with him?

Just look at the huge amount of responses confirming agreement.

Yeah right!! laugh.gif

newres
As a cyclist I have had several altercations with badly driven cars. One is very vulnerable on a bike on the road. Without doubt there are irresponsible cyclists, but mostly they only put themselves at risk and present very little risk to anybody else.

The attitude of Biker1 illustrates exactly why the roads are unsafe for cyclists.
On the edge
What's also fascinating was the comment about the old Bill. They never seem to apprehend the offenders 'we' want dealt with! You can't blame them I suppose, it's no win for them. Complain about drivers parking on pavements, a couple I know won't use the cycle way in Kiln Road for that very reason. Of course, if the enforcers did their job and book the drivers, they get called green meanies!

Exhausted
QUOTE (On the edge @ Nov 29 2014, 09:26 AM) *
What's also fascinating was the comment about the old Bill. They never seem to apprehend the offenders 'we' want dealt with! You can't blame them I suppose, it's no win for them. Complain about drivers parking on pavements, a couple I know won't use the cycle way in Kiln Road for that very reason. Of course, if the enforcers did their job and book the drivers, they get called green meanies!

Can't say that I have seen cars on the footpath/cycle way in Kiln Road. I think that cyclists who cycle on the road when there is a cycle path should be prosecuted like drivers who park on the cycle way. Tit for tat really.

Andy Capp
QUOTE (Exhausted @ Nov 29 2014, 11:47 AM) *
Can't say that I have seen cars on the footpath/cycle way in Kiln Road. I think that cyclists who cycle on the road when there is a cycle path should be prosecuted like drivers who park on the cycle way. Tit for tat really.

Thank the Lord you have no power. tongue.gif
JeffG
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Nov 29 2014, 12:43 PM) *
Thank the Lord you have no power. tongue.gif

I think he has a point. Where a cycle way is provided, its use should be mandatory.
On the edge
QUOTE (Exhausted @ Nov 29 2014, 11:47 AM) *

Little wonder drivers can't see riders at night then, it my friends have a point! I must say, having just come back that way, the parked cars do seem to act as a chicane at the bottom of the hill and on the cycle path side, I counted five.
Andy Capp
QUOTE (JeffG @ Nov 29 2014, 02:58 PM) *
I think he has a point. Where a cycle way is provided, its use should be mandatory.

Perhaps if there was a cycle lane for every inch of road, but cycle lanes are often a hindrance and sometimes create their own dangers and what do you do about when a cyclist wants to turn right? It is a preposterous idea. Just make roads wider.
JeffG
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Nov 30 2014, 10:31 AM) *
Perhaps if there was a cycle lane for every inch of road, but cycle lanes are often a hindrance and sometimes create their own dangers and what do you do about when a cyclist wants to turn right? It is a preposterous idea. Just make roads wider.

The proper solution would be to have totally separate routes for cyclists away from vehicular traffic, like they have in the Netherlands. Perhaps if they redesigned Newbury from scratch the planners could incorporate this. Meanwhile we're stuck with what we have.

It does help if you can see them, though.
Andy Capp
QUOTE (JeffG @ Nov 30 2014, 11:55 AM) *
The proper solution would be to have totally separate routes for cyclists away from vehicular traffic, like they have in the Netherlands. Perhaps if they redesigned Newbury from scratch the planners could incorporate this. Meanwhile we're stuck with what we have.

I completely agree, but you will then have complaints of cyclists and pedestrians clashing.
Exhausted
QUOTE (On the edge @ Nov 29 2014, 03:35 PM) *
I must say, having just come back that way, the parked cars do seem to act as a chicane at the bottom of the hill and on the cycle path side, I counted five.

I think that the cars which you suggest are parked there and causing a chicane are actually parked in a designated parking area and the van that was up on the kerb was off the road but not on the cycle lane or footpath, but I take your point. I also drove along the town end of the Andover Road and noticed a car parked by the side of the road which is over the cycle way, It is not protected by a kerb, just a green stripe on the road. What are the rules about that. I can't be bothered to google it.

Biker1
QUOTE (newres @ Nov 29 2014, 08:48 AM) *
The attitude of Biker1 illustrates exactly why the roads are unsafe for cyclists.

Why do you say that? My "attitude" does not include putting cyclists in danger, many do that for themselves.
I have every respect for cyclists who obey the law and have consideration for other highway users including pedestrians.
(When I say "highway" that includes footpaths, bridleways and towpaths.)
Saw an unlit bike just in time tonight on the road across Hungerford Common.
He was close to coming a cropper with me as I didn't see him until he was 3 or 4 seconds away!
When you say " they only put themselves at risk and present very little risk to anybody else" how do you think I would have felt, and legally, who would have got the blame if I had hit him?
And why put himself at more risk than he needs to?
MontyPython
QUOTE (Biker1 @ Nov 30 2014, 06:03 PM) *
He was close to coming a cropper with me as I didn't see him until he was 3 or 4 seconds away!
When you say " they only put themselves at risk and present very little risk to anybody else" how do you think I would have felt, and legally, who would have got the blame if I had hit him?

Or you may have put yourself and others in danger trying to swerve and avoid him!
Man in orange hat
QUOTE (Biker1 @ Nov 30 2014, 07:03 PM) *
Why do you say that? My "attitude" does not include putting cyclists in danger, many do that for themselves.
I have every respect for cyclists who obey the law and have consideration for other highway users including pedestrians.
(When I say "highway" that includes footpaths, bridleways and towpaths.)

What if it had been an unlit pedestrian? If you were only two or three seconds away, you were going too fast for the conditions.
Biker1
QUOTE (Man in orange hat @ Dec 1 2014, 08:51 AM) *
What if it had been an unlit pedestrian?

Pedestrians should take the same precautions. I wouldn't walk along an unlit country road in black clothing with no light.
QUOTE (Man in orange hat @ Dec 1 2014, 08:51 AM) *
If you were only two or three seconds away, you were going too fast for the conditions.

I knew someone would say that. rolleyes.gif
The conditions were..............dark!!
What speed should one do on an unlit country road? I was doing approximately 30.
I am amazed that people will defend and obvious unsafe and illegal act!! ohmy.gif
(Please bear in mind that there are some drivers out there who cannot see to read a blatant road sign telling them not cross a bridge even in broad daylight!! laugh.gif )
part time
I ride a bike to work most days. In regard to cycle paths I can confirm that the one along Shaw Crescent is impassible at some times due to pavement parking so far over you are forced into the bushes that border the field. My route also takes me along the Turnpike Road. The junctions for Avon Way and Gaywood Drive while using the cyclepath are incredibly badly implemented from a cyclists point of view. The drop kerbs are way down the roads you are crossing with poor visibility of oncoming traffic using the mini roundabouts. I don't blame cyclists one bit for avoiding them and using the road instead.
newres
QUOTE (Biker1 @ Dec 1 2014, 08:15 AM) *
Pedestrians should take the same precautions. I wouldn't walk along an unlit country road in black clothing with no light.

I knew someone would say that. rolleyes.gif
The conditions were..............dark!!
What speed should one do on an unlit country road? I was doing approximately 30.
I am amazed that people will defend and obvious unsafe and illegal act!! ohmy.gif
(Please bear in mind that there are some drivers out there who cannot see to read a blatant road sign telling them not cross a bridge even in broad daylight!! laugh.gif )

The thing is though that your posts betray a resentment towards cyclists and a laissez-faire attitude towards your responsibility as a car user towards their safety.
The Hatter
Some car drivers think they can do just what they want just because they pay a few pounds road tax. My GF lives off Pear Tree Lane and we walk to and from town. Some times it is pretty hard to keep on the pavement because of parked cars and it's pretty bad on the estate roads and Kiln Hill. They even park on the grass verge digging it up and making a mess. People parking on pavements are a bigger danger at night than a few bikes without lights.
Biker1
QUOTE (newres @ Dec 2 2014, 05:49 PM) *
The thing is though that your posts betray a resentment towards cyclists

Incorrect.
I have a resentment towards inconsiderate, law breaking cyclists.
QUOTE (newres @ Dec 2 2014, 05:49 PM) *
and a laissez-faire attitude towards your responsibility as a car user towards their safety.

Incorrect.
I would NEVER deliberately put a cyclist, law breaker or not, in danger through my driving / riding.
HJD
QUOTE (The Hatter @ Dec 2 2014, 05:07 PM) *
Some car drivers think they can do just what they want just because they pay a few pounds road tax. My GF lives off Pear Tree Lane and we walk to and from town. Some times it is pretty hard to keep on the pavement because of parked cars and it's pretty bad on the estate roads and Kiln Hill. They even park on the grass verge digging it up and making a mess. People parking on pavements are a bigger danger at night than a few bikes without lights.

I'm sure a lot of these car owners would welcome your advice on where else you think they can legally park !! rolleyes.gif
On the edge
QUOTE (HJD @ Dec 2 2014, 06:50 PM) *
I'm sure a lot of these car owners would welcome your advice on where else you think they can legally park !! rolleyes.gif

Oh dear, that debate again!

I must admit, I'm a bit big these days but none too steady on my feet....so if my trolley gets a bit to close to these obstructions, can I help it? See what I mean Hatter old son, specially when it's dark!
x2lls
QUOTE (The Hatter @ Dec 2 2014, 05:07 PM) *

LIKE!!
Turin Machine
QUOTE (On the edge @ Dec 2 2014, 07:19 PM) *
Oh dear, that debate again!

I must admit, I'm a bit big these days but none too steady on my feet....so if my trolley gets a bit to close to these obstructions, can I help it? See what I mean Hatter old son, specially when it's dark!

Oh dear, yet another thinly veiled and clumsy threat of criminal damage, wonder if you would be happy repeating that whilst under caution?
On the edge
QUOTE (Turin Machine @ Dec 2 2014, 11:00 PM) *
Oh dear, yet another thinly veiled and clumsy threat of criminal damage, wonder if you would be happy repeating that whilst under caution?

What are you going to do if I said yes all I'm doing is pointing out that accidents happen what's more, personally I don't take care when passing obstructions in the pavement be they cars or intruding shrubs. The only muppets I see in this debate are those that think driving a car gives then an absolute right to do just what they want and the right to criticise anyone else who gets in their way. Irresponsible parking, legal or not, is just as offensive as using a bike improperly.
x2lls
QUOTE (On the edge @ Dec 3 2014, 07:05 AM) *
What are you going to do if I said yes all I'm doing is pointing out that accidents happen what's more, personally I don't take care when passing obstructions in the pavement be they cars or intruding shrubs. The only muppets I see in this debate are those that think driving a car gives then an absolute right to do just what they want and the right to criticise anyone else who gets in their way. Irresponsible parking, legal or not, is just as offensive as using a bike improperly.

Well said,.

motormad
QUOTE (Biker1 @ Dec 2 2014, 06:37 PM) *
I would NEVER deliberately put a cyclist, law breaker or not, in danger through my driving / riding.

I would.
Biker1
QUOTE (On the edge @ Dec 3 2014, 08:05 AM) *
The only muppets I see in this debate are those that think driving a car gives then an absolute right to do just what they want and the right to criticise anyone else who gets in their way.

Who are they then?? blink.gif

QUOTE (The Hatter @ Dec 2 2014, 06:07 PM) *
People parking on pavements are a bigger danger at night than a few bikes without lights.

I'd say they were a menace rather than a danger. And certainly not as dangerous as riding a bike at night without lights which not, as you say, a few do, but many do.
Andy Capp
Riding on the path, riding without lights, parking on the path blocking pedestrians and cyclist's way; you're all Muppets! tongue.gif
newres
QUOTE (motormad @ Dec 3 2014, 03:45 PM) *
I would.

Seriously? You would put knock cyclist down because they had no lights.
MontyPython
QUOTE (On the edge @ Dec 3 2014, 07:05 AM) *
What are you going to do if I said yes all I'm doing is pointing out that accidents happen what's more, personally I don't take care when passing obstructions in the pavement be they cars or intruding shrubs. ...

Maybe the owner of the car you damage will be similarly careless with his flailing arms which may happen to connect with your face. I don't excpect many would see it more than poetic justice given your attitude.
Andy Capp
QUOTE (MontyPython @ Dec 3 2014, 06:13 PM) *
Maybe the owner of the car you damage will be similarly careless with his flailing arms which may happen to connect with your face. I don't excpect many would see it more than poetic justice given your attitude.

If one puts something where it shouldn't be (a car on a path, obstructing or partially obstructing the may), then I think they can expect an increased risk of damage, deliberate, or otherwise. Of course, two wrongs don't make a right, and no-one is entitled to purposely damage a car for no other reason than 'revenge'.
MontyPython
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Dec 3 2014, 07:46 PM) *
If one puts something where it shouldn't be (a car on a path, obstructing or partially obstructing the may), then I think they can expect an increased risk of damage, deliberate, or otherwise. Of course, two wrongs don't make a right, and no-one is entitled to purposely damage a car for no other reason than 'revenge'.

Exactly 3 wrongs don't make a right - but when OTE puts his trolley where it shouldn't be namely Mr Thug's car he can no doubt expect an increased risk of damage!
On the edge
QUOTE (MontyPython @ Dec 3 2014, 10:03 PM) *
Exactly 3 wrongs don't make a right - but when OTE puts his trolley where it shouldn't be namely Mr Thug's car he can no doubt expect an increased risk of damage!

Oooh don't damage my precious car, the substitution for my manhood!! Yes, I've confronted some anti social packers. Get some interesting comments. As I told one bloke if the firm he was visiting thought him important or useful, they'd have a car parking space reserved for him. And as for someone's fist, yeah go ahead, I could do with the compo.
part time
I think this whole thing can be easily summed up. If you drive a car, cyclists are *****. If you ride a bike, motorists are *****.
If you regulalry indulge in both activities, everyone is a **** biggrin.gif
The Hatter
I think it's just that some people are just plain selfish. Most people walk, ride bikes and drive cars. We do sometimes see cars without lights and pedestrians don't have them, if a driver can't see them in our well lit streets and with headlights, then dare I say they have an eyesight problem and shouldn't be driving anyway.
Biker1
QUOTE (The Hatter @ Dec 5 2014, 08:52 AM) *
We do sometimes see cars without lights

And that's OK is it?
QUOTE (The Hatter @ Dec 5 2014, 08:52 AM) *
and pedestrians don't have them, if a driver can't see them in our well lit streets and with headlights, then dare I say they have an eyesight problem and shouldn't be driving anyway.

I don't understand what you are referring to here.
Do you mean cars without lights, or pedestrians without lights on lit streets, or bicycles without lights on an unlit country road?
If you mean the latter the, once gain, I cannot believe that someone is defending that!
Lights for bicycles are a few quid in Halfords, what's the excuse??
Again, I would suggest that drivers who cannot see a blatant road sign shouldn't be driving anyway, but they have been defended to the hilt on here.
Turin Machine
It's against the law, should be reason enough.
bonnie
QUOTE (Biker1 @ Dec 5 2014, 08:50 AM) *
And that's OK is it?

Do you mean cars without lights, or pedestrians without lights on lit streets, or bicycles without lights on an unlit country road?
If you mean the latter the, once gain, I cannot believe that someone is defending that!
Again, I would suggest that drivers who cannot see a blatant road sign shouldn't be driving anyway, but they have been defended to the hilt on here.

bonnie
Sorry big boo boo.
Meant to add,while they are getting lights for their bicycles,they might have a quick look to see if you can still buy bells laugh.gif
motormad
QUOTE (newres @ Dec 3 2014, 06:11 PM) *
Seriously? You would put knock cyclist down because they had no lights.

well I'd hardly be able to see them would i...... mellow.gif
The Hatter
QUOTE (Biker1 @ Dec 5 2014, 08:50 AM) *
And that's OK is it?

That's the point! Riding without lights is illegal, so are many things car drivers do; almost every time they take a car on the road. OK, no lights might seem dangerous, but so is speeding etc. no lights is pretty minor in the grand scheme of things. Seriously, if you can't see a bike in a well lit street at night, there really is something seriously wrong with your eyesight. What happens if it's a deer, a dog or a pedestrian? Complain by all means, but let's keep a sense of proportion.
Nothing Much
The last time I had an altercation with a deer was in daylight.
I barely saw it, then it was gone.. He was following a doe at a fast pace.
And was gone in a flash...I wish dating was that easy.
ce
On the edge
Come on CE! There seems to be an ever increasing number of visually challenged drivers found here. They can't see road prohibition signs, lane markings, car park tariff signs, speed limits, indicator stalks etc etc. Some have even taking to displaying white sticks; often personalised with a pennant. I blame Europe for the softly softly enforcement approach - what we need is some good old US traffic policing
JeffG
QUOTE (On the edge @ Dec 5 2014, 03:53 PM) *
what we need is some good old US traffic policing

I remember a work colleague was once pulled over for speeding with the words "OK, leadfoot, where's the fire?".
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.