4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> St Georges Day
Guest_Newbury Expat_*
post Apr 26 2010, 06:10 PM
Post #41

Guests

QUOTE (Iommi @ Apr 25 2010, 02:16 PM) *
Perhaps, but I have been told that the old bill were summonsed en masse to the 'Ave' again, yesterday! rolleyes.gif

And a protest today.

http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/News/Article...articleID=13128

Some residents are clearly fed up with some of the 'people' who live in the Avenue.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Apr 26 2010, 06:24 PM
Post #42

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 56

The problem is, if the family are moved, where are they moved to? They get foisted on some other community, who then have to deal with the same problem. I personally don't know what the solution is, but it must be a problem that's repeated over and over again on estates throughout the country.

Perhaps there is some uninhabited offshore island where they could all be moved to...

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Apr 26 2010, 06:25 PM
Post #43

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (Newbury Expat @ Apr 26 2010, 07:10 PM) *
And a protest today.

http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/News/Article...articleID=13128

Some residents are clearly fed up with some of the 'people' who live in the Avenue.

one person.

Hopefully there will be some apologising to the rest soon.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Apr 26 2010, 06:28 PM
Post #44

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Apr 26 2010, 07:25 PM) *
one person. Hopefully there will be some apologising to the rest soon.

I doubt it.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Apr 26 2010, 06:37 PM
Post #45

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Apr 26 2010, 07:28 PM) *
I doubt it.

Funny that.

A group of residents ask for what many here post endlessly about & no-one has the balls to say 'I was wrong'

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Apr 26 2010, 06:40 PM
Post #46

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Apr 26 2010, 07:37 PM) *
Funny that. A group of residents ask for what many here post endlessly about & no-one has the balls to say 'I was wrong'

Who was wrong and why? St George's Ave has had a reputation since I can remember. At the moment a whole bunch of residents campaigned to get a family out. This doesn't mean there are no more, but in any case, I don't think anyone said that St George's Ave was made up entirely of hardened thugs.

+Quote Post
hamster
post Apr 26 2010, 07:43 PM
Post #47

Advanced Member

Member No.: 139

Many of the posts on this thread prove what a bunch of small minded snobs primarily post on this forum.
I refer specifically to the slating given to St Georges Avenue. If you knew the road you would know that actually it is a very small percentage of residents who bring it down, unfortunately those small number create the most visual and "news worthy" problems that create your snobbish views.

Yes I grew up there and yes I was lucky enough to have a grounded mother (yes alas a single mother), my sibling and I went to university and we both pay through the nose for Council Tax as adults just as you do. A few of my "Scabby Ave" friends have done okay for themselves too.
I still have family there and there is no doubt there are problems there but your snobbish-ness disgusts me as much as the state of the road I grow up in.

You will never know the way I felt at school when the teachers asked where we lived and what our parents did and the scorn from class mates because of where I lived and because I only had a mother not a father. The scorn those kids showed me were passed on from their parents like you lot.

If I do anything I will teach my kids to take each person as they come and not lump them into being I quote "Drunks", "wife beaters", "cr@p" unless the individual deserves it.

Don’t bother responding with comments like "sense of humour failure" etc as I have every right to be annoyed as you are lumping my family and many other nice people in that road into your comments and they do not deserve it.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Apr 26 2010, 07:47 PM
Post #48

Advanced Member

QUOTE (hamster @ Apr 26 2010, 08:43 PM) *
Many of the posts on this thread prove what a bunch of small minded snobs primarily post on this forum.

I think you are being unfair to snobs. Bourgois fascists maybe?

+Quote Post
hamster
post Apr 26 2010, 07:54 PM
Post #49

Advanced Member

I think snob probably covers it, they would like to think they are middle class but not sure we can define the classes anymore

+Quote Post
diamond41970
post Apr 26 2010, 08:00 PM
Post #50

Advanced Member

Member No.: 785

QUOTE (hamster @ Apr 26 2010, 08:43 PM) *
I refer specifically to the slating given to St Georges Avenue. If you knew the road you would know that actually it is a very small percentage of residents who bring it down, unfortunately those small number create the most visual and "news worthy" problems that create your snobbish views.

Yes I grew up there and yes I was lucky enough to have a grounded mother (yes alas a single mother), my sibling and I went to university and we both pay through the nose for Council Tax as adults just as you do. A few of my "Scabby Ave" friends have done okay for themselves too.
I still have family there and there is no doubt there are problems there but your snobbish-ness disgusts me as much as the state of the road I grow up in.

You will never know the way I felt at school when the teachers asked where we lived and what our parents did and the scorn from class mates because of where I lived and because I only had a mother not a father. The scorn those kids showed me were passed on from their parents like you lot.

If I do anything I will teach my kids to take each person as they come and not lump them into being I quote "Drunks", "wife beaters", "cr@p" unless the individual deserves it.

Don’t bother responding with comments like "sense of humour failure" etc as I have every right to be annoyed as you are lumping my family and many other nice people in that road into your comments and they do not deserve it.

Hamster

You are of course quite correct in that sometimes a few residents can bring down a whole street but it does seem to be that problem families are located there by whatever powers that be. I used to live on Enborne Road and would spend many an evening watching the police helicopter going up and down the Avenue after having (maybe) chased a resident back there. I am no means a snob in fact I grew up on a council estate in South Yorkshire and my step father was on benefits for most of my life so I too was painted with the "poor little bit*h from the scabby council estate". Does that make me a 1980's CHAV ???? It is not just the Avenue in Newbury that has a reputation there is the Nightingales and Skylings - obviously Sandleford Rise (now another name I have learned from here) seems to have gotten a little better. Whatever town you are in there are rough areas but that does not make the people who do not live in those areas "snobs". I have tried to teach my kids that just because someone is from a certain area does not make them rough but it seems that St Georges has a reputation that will always be there. I am glad you went to university as that is more than I managed but I still live in a "council house" and still have the stigma of that - regardless of where it is situated.

+Quote Post
hamster
post Apr 26 2010, 08:13 PM
Post #51

Advanced Member

Hello fellow 80's chav ;-)

I am only referring to those on here who quite clearly in what they have written look down with a condescending attitude on a large group of people who happen to live in a certain area. That attitude by definition is being a snob.

+Quote Post
Hugh Saskin
post Apr 26 2010, 08:30 PM
Post #52

Advanced Member

Member No.: 37

QUOTE (hamster @ Apr 26 2010, 08:54 PM) *
I think snob probably covers it, they would like to think they are middle class but not sure we can define the classes anymore

Fair play to you Hamster. I know a lady who was a single mother in the 1970s when it held far more of a stigma in society than it does today. Pam did a brilliant job, without much dosh at all, of bringing up baby despite all the sh1te you got in those days. Baby turned into a good lad, a bright lad, and a hard worker. He started as a clerk and is now Finance Director of one of the richest outfits in the land. Could say more, but that would blow his cover. Mum, now retired, is sooo proud of him and so am I. Mum wants for nothing now, bless her.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Apr 26 2010, 08:41 PM
Post #53

Advanced Member

The point is, areas of Newbury have a bad reputation. They are usually where there is a high density of social housing. St George's Ave happens to be one of them. Proof, if any is need, is that of a Housing Association felt the needing to spruce it up. There are other areas, indeed, I live near one of the worst areas in Newbury and it is no where near St George's Ave.

The most notorious areas I am aware of are, Bishops Green, St George's Ave (known by many as 'The Ave'), Sandleford Rise, The Nightingales, Skylings, Turnpike, Pigeons Farm Estate, Bardown Estate, and there are others.

Coming from an area doesn't mean one is, by default, a drunk thug, but it doesn't stop the reputation for the area from existing. I have spent most of my life in council estates and I couldn't give a stuff what people think of me or where I come from, and my accent proves it.

Snobbery is alive and well in England.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Apr 26 2010, 08:51 PM
Post #54

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

I lived in the Ave for a bit back in the late 90's. I quite liked it, and I would say that it is a place I felt safe. Primarily because most of the miscreants don't do it on their doorstep! It had a mix of good and bad, but even with that a good sense of community. Anybody could, and would get you anything you wanted - normally stolen - but they would help you out either way. If I was stuck somewhere at 4 in the morning someone from the Ave would come and get me, even if they had to walk. I wonder how many of my friends now would do that? I think the sense of wanting to fit in and belong means that a lot do go off the rails there, as there are higher percentage of troublemakers per squarefoot than other places, but bad habits doesn't necessarily make a bad person.

+Quote Post
x2lls
post Apr 26 2010, 09:49 PM
Post #55

Advanced Member

Member No.: 511

The news article specifies just one person. 'A 39 year old man'. If the allegations are true, then if the said individual is capable of terrorising a community, I feel for his family. Could it be that his family are also victims?

--------------------
There their, loose loser!

+Quote Post
hamster
post Apr 26 2010, 10:04 PM
Post #56

Advanced Member

Here here, I think the point is (a cliché of course) you should never judge a book by its cover. There are bound to be problems where people with various social "issues" are unavoidably but by necessity lumped together, but those people happen to be mixed in with every day people who are just trying to get on with life.
Stepping off soapbox..now

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Apr 26 2010, 10:19 PM
Post #57

Advanced Member

Congratulations to the neighbourhood getting together to get something done about it. I wonder if this was after a failure of a housing association to do something sooner? From a few anecdotes I have read, it seems families, or individuals, have to be really bad, over a protracted period of time, before something practical is done.

+Quote Post
hamster
post Apr 26 2010, 10:21 PM
Post #58

Advanced Member

QUOTE (x2lls @ Apr 26 2010, 10:49 PM) *
The news article specifies just one person. 'A 39 year old man'. If the allegations are true, then if the said individual is capable of terrorising a community, I feel for his family. Could it be that his family are also victims?

I doubt if he is the victim if people have gone to those lengths (a protest!). It takes a lot of guts I imagine to stand up to someone who is/perceived as intimidating; even within a large group.
I admire them; at least they are showing they are not prepared to put up with the anti social behaviour. If the police don't/can't/won't do anything at least this might prompt some action with the powers that be or you never know! the chap/family in question might take a long hard look at themselves

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Apr 26 2010, 10:32 PM
Post #59

Advanced Member

QUOTE (hamster @ Apr 26 2010, 11:21 PM) *
I doubt if he is the victim if people have gone to those lengths (a protest!).

I think what x2lls meant was, he might have 'terrorised' his own family as well. They, therefore, might also be victims.

The problem is, if the authorities don't deal with these issues more readily, one could see more 'vigilante' groups being organised, which could even lead to 'innocent' families being evicted.

I think this quite fascinating development needs to be taken seriously by those that have 'allowed' it to happen.

+Quote Post
x2lls
post Apr 26 2010, 10:52 PM
Post #60

Advanced Member

Member No.: 511

QUOTE (Iommi @ Apr 26 2010, 11:32 PM) *
I think what x2lls meant was, he might have 'terrorised' his own family as well. They, therefore, might also be victims.

The problem is, if the authorities don't deal with these issues more readily, one could see more 'vigilante' groups being organised, which could even lead to 'innocent' families being evicted.

I think think this quite fascinating development needs to be taken seriously by those that have 'allowed' it to happen.

Iommi, you got it in one.

--------------------
There their, loose loser!

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 05:39 PM