Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: St Georges Day
Newbury Today Forum > Categories > Random Rants
Pages: 1, 2
TallDarkAndHandsome

It's St Georges Day today. A day to be proud to be English. Fly the flag for England.
diamond41970
It sure is and isn't it fantastic that a free party is being thrown for the residents of St George's Avenue !!!

http://www.newburysound.co.uk/avenue-party--i-5563.php
TallDarkAndHandsome
QUOTE (diamond41970 @ Apr 23 2010, 08:36 AM) *
It sure is and isn't it fantastic that a free party is being thrown for the residents of St George's Avenue !!!

http://www.newburysound.co.uk/avenue-party--i-5563.php

In the words of Victor Meldew. I don't believe it....... blink.gif
Still at least the other Streets of Newbury may have less drunks in it today!
Bill1
Hmmmm!

Well I'll be celebrating it in an Avenue (amongst other establishments) , but not that one..........
dannyboy
QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Apr 23 2010, 08:40 AM) *
In the words of Victor Meldew. I don't believe it....... blink.gif
Still at least the other Streets of Newbury may have less drunks in it today!

Meaning?
Iommi
QUOTE (dannyboy @ Apr 23 2010, 11:55 AM) *
Meaning?

They'll all be at St George's Avenue, beating their missus and kids up! wink.gif tongue.gif
dannyboy
QUOTE (Iommi @ Apr 23 2010, 11:57 AM) *
They'll all be at St George's Avenue! wink.gif

It is a party for the residents. No mention of any alcohol.
Bloggo
QUOTE (dannyboy @ Apr 23 2010, 11:58 AM) *
It is a party for the residents. No mention of any alcohol.

don't you think you may be a little naive with this post?
Iommi
QUOTE (Bloggo @ Apr 23 2010, 12:09 PM) *

Or at least, a sense of humour failure! tongue.gif
Bloggo
QUOTE (Iommi @ Apr 23 2010, 12:15 PM) *
Or at least, a sense of humour failure! tongue.gif

Well maybe but some posts are difficult to translate.
Iommi
QUOTE (Bloggo @ Apr 23 2010, 12:34 PM) *
Well maybe but some posts are difficult to translate.

I meant he had a sense of humour failure! wink.gif
Bloggo
QUOTE (Iommi @ Apr 23 2010, 01:39 PM) *

laugh.gif exactly
TallDarkAndHandsome
QUOTE (Iommi @ Apr 23 2010, 01:39 PM) *

Perhaps DannyBoy lives in St Georges Avenue....

Its a lesson to us all though. Throw all your cr@p out onto the street, let your dogs do their mess anywhere you like and wait for someone to come along, spend £150,000 on 'sprucing' your area up and then get thrown a free party. I'm going home to chuck my old mattress out on the pavement.
Bloggo
QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Apr 23 2010, 01:45 PM) *
Perhaps DannyBoy lives in St Georges Avenue....

Its a lesson to us all though. Throw all your cr@p out onto the street, let your dogs do their mess anywhere you like and wait for someone to come along, spend £150,000 on 'sprucing' your area up and then get thrown a free party. I'm going home to chuck my old mattress out on the pavement.

Ironic eh. A reward for ASB.
You couldn't make it up sad.gif
dannyboy
QUOTE (Bloggo @ Apr 23 2010, 12:09 PM) *

No not at all. Housing associations don't organize street piss ups.
JeffG
To those people dissing St George's Avenue residents (all of them, by implication): do you have first hand knowledge of this, or is it hearsay?

Personally, I've only been down there when on the bus (a rare occurrence it has to be said) and haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary, but wouldn't choose to go down there otherwise. I have my own opinions of the area, but it's all hearsay and I wouldn't post them as fact here.
Iommi
QUOTE (dannyboy @ Apr 23 2010, 02:19 PM) *
No not at all. Housing associations don't organize street piss ups.

No, they just house them! tongue.gif Anyway, no-one said they had, only that it is where the drunks could be found.

QUOTE (JeffG @ Apr 23 2010, 03:40 PM) *
To those people dissing St George's Avenue residents (all of them, by implication): do you have first hand knowledge of this, or is it hearsay? Personally, I've only been down there when on the bus (a rare occurrence it has to be said) and haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary, but wouldn't choose to go down there otherwise. I have my own opinions of the area, but it's all hearsay and I wouldn't post them as fact here.

We never said all of the residents, but there are some unsavoury types down there. Here's a link to the the latest fact (there have been others)!

Newbury magistrates court heard how Kevin Williams assaulted a man who was visiting his girlfriend
TallDarkAndHandsome
QUOTE (Iommi @ Apr 23 2010, 03:49 PM) *
No, they just house them! tongue.gif Anyway, no-one said they had, only that it is where the drunks could be found.

We never said all of the residents, but there are some unsavoury types down there. Here's a link to the the latest fact (there have been others)!

Newbury magistrates court heard how Kevin Williams assaulted a man who was visiting his girlfriend

How about this one?

http://www.thamesvalley.police.uk/yournh/y...-N199?id=106945

TallDarkAndHandsome
QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Apr 23 2010, 04:03 PM) *

And this..

http://www.thamesvalley.police.uk/acc/your...sitem?id=122563

I could go on... tongue.gif
Roost
Yeah but from my experience of such estates, it is always a minority of residents that cause 95% of the problems.

PS, at what level of expenditure does a housing 'estate' become a 'development'?!
JeffG
Thanks for all the links - made interesting reading, particularly the TVP one. There's a couple of things that confuse me though (mind you, that's not too hard! wink.gif):

Pound Street: There seems to be a big police focus on this road, but it's only a few houses on one side and Jewson's and a few businesses on the other before it becomes Enborne Road.

The Oaks: What or where is this exactly - all the mapping programs take me to Sandleford Rise.
Rachel
QUOTE (JeffG @ Apr 23 2010, 04:47 PM) *
Thanks for all the links - made interesting reading, particularly the TVP one. There's a couple of things that confuse me though (mind you, that's not too hard! wink.gif):

Pound Street: There seems to be a big police focus on this road, but it's only a few houses on one side and Jewson's and a few businesses on the other before it becomes Enborne Road.

The Oaks: What or where is this exactly - all the mapping programs take me to Sandleford Rise.

The Oaks that I know isn't a housing estate. Doubt it would be of interest to most people.
TallDarkAndHandsome

Here is your answer Jeff..

http://www.thamesvalley.police.uk/acc/your...l-area-n199.htm

dannyboy
No, they just house them! tongue.gif Anyway, no-one said they had, .

Newburysound articles quotes SSW.
dannyboy

Pound Street is where Newbury Mosque is
dannyboy
Kevin Williams assaulted a man who was visiting his girlfriend[/url]

I bet there are just as many battered wives & girlfriends in the posh ends of town.
JeffG
QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Apr 23 2010, 05:24 PM) *

Well, not really. I've seen that before (or at least the graphic version of the page - it was one of the links given).

It doesn't tell me why Pound (not really long enough to be a proper) Street is such a den of iniquity (I'm assuming the mosque reference made by another poster was not really relevant), or where/what The Oaks is when maps just point to Sandleford Rise.
gizmo
QUOTE (JeffG @ Apr 23 2010, 03:40 PM) *
To those people dissing St George's Avenue residents (all of them, by implication): do you have first hand knowledge of this, or is it hearsay?

Personally, I've only been down there when on the bus (a rare occurrence it has to be said) and haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary, but wouldn't choose to go down there otherwise. I have my own opinions of the area, but it's all hearsay and I wouldn't post them as fact here.

I do have first hand knowledge of this and over 30 years worth. these homes were built after WW1 as "Homes fit for Heros".

Apart from a few residents down there the rest are a varirety of violent, druggie, alcoholic, thieving dregs of humanity.

I was assaulted by a resident from there, they got a caution. another resident stole from us. Another resident assaulted my grandfather who is in his 70's. another one was selling Class A drugs near my home. I could go on and on with this list all evening.

I also live near a Soveriegn Housing block of flats and in the last week we have had ASB and the boys and girls in blue turn up on mass.
CBW137Y
QUOTE (dannyboy @ Apr 23 2010, 09:24 PM) *
I bet there are just as many battered wives & girlfriends in the posh ends of town.

Hear, hear!!

I went to primary and secondary school with a number of St Georges Avenue residents. I am still to this day friends with a couple of these people, who have grown up to be hard working, decent and law abiding citizens. The others had a hard time with their family life, granted. Not sure what happened to them and what their circumstances are now. For all I know, they could well have turned to crime, drink or drugs themselves. While I know that certain areas of town have a terrible reputation, please don't tar everyone with the same brush.

So what if the folk of St Georges Ave are having a party? I very much doubt that if there is any trouble, it will leave the avenue. If it's perhaps a little jealousy that they are having a party...then revert to the other thread about street names and famous local people, and nominate a street name to include 'George', move there and throw a street party in a couple of years rolleyes.gif

Strafin
Sandleford Rise hasn't existed for at least 4 years, probably more. It got redeveloped into The Oaks.
Iommi
QUOTE (dannyboy @ Apr 23 2010, 08:24 PM) *

St Georges Ave is still known as a toilet regardless. Everyone in Newbury 'knows' that. Sh*t sticks, regrettably. sad.gif
JeffG
QUOTE (Strafin @ Apr 23 2010, 09:53 PM) *
Sandleford Rise hasn't existed for at least 4 years, probably more. It got redeveloped into The Oaks.

That's interesting because Google maps shows it as Sandleford Rise and the caption says the map data is from 2010. It also shows Falkland Veterinary Clinic in its new location - I think they moved within the last couple of years.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?client=firef....01929&z=16
Strafin
Oh OK, Google maps MUST be correct then. I'm a little suprised that supposedly local people on a local forum don't know some of the main estates in Newbury.
Iommi
I've lived in Newbury all my life and I couldn't have told you where The Oaks is, but I could tell you where Sandleford Rise is! tongue.gif
JeffG
QUOTE (Strafin @ Apr 24 2010, 10:49 AM) *
Oh OK, Google maps MUST be correct then. I'm a little suprised that supposedly local people on a local forum don't know some of the main estates in Newbury.

QUOTE (Iommi @ Apr 24 2010, 11:35 AM) *
I've lived in Newbury all my life and I couldn't have told you where The Oaks is, but I could tell you where Sandleford Rise is! tongue.gif

Exactly. I've lived in Newbury since 1974 but with all the recent building and re-naming of places (e.g. Turnpike rebranded as Clay Hill) it's hard to keep pace! smile.gif
Roost
The Oaks is indeed what was Sandleford Rise. It was redeveloped on a rolling scale from about 2000 with the first residents moving in right from completion of the first flats / houses.
I believe it was finished around 2006.

Incidentally the chinese just by The Oaks on Newtown Road is one of the best in town and also does a mean fish and chips!!

Iommi, sounds like you may remember the Rise for the same reasons that I do..!
user23
QUOTE (JeffG @ Apr 24 2010, 10:18 AM) *
That's interesting because Google maps shows it as Sandleford Rise and the caption says the map data is from 2010. It also shows Falkland Veterinary Clinic in its new location - I think they moved within the last couple of years.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?client=firef....01929&z=16
Google Maps isn't always accurate, here LA Fitness is actually an old people's home.

Google Maps
Iommi
QUOTE (user23 @ Apr 25 2010, 07:32 PM) *
Google Maps isn't always accurate, here LA Fitness is actually an old people's home.

Google Maps

Correct, but in this case irrelevant.
diamond41970
Sorry are we still allowed to celebrate St George's Day ???
Iommi
Perhaps, but I have been told that the old bill were summonsed en masse to the 'Ave' again, yesterday! rolleyes.gif
Newbury Expat
QUOTE (Iommi @ Apr 25 2010, 02:16 PM) *
Perhaps, but I have been told that the old bill were summonsed en masse to the 'Ave' again, yesterday! rolleyes.gif

And a protest today.

http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/News/Article...articleID=13128

Some residents are clearly fed up with some of the 'people' who live in the Avenue.
JeffG
The problem is, if the family are moved, where are they moved to? They get foisted on some other community, who then have to deal with the same problem. I personally don't know what the solution is, but it must be a problem that's repeated over and over again on estates throughout the country.

Perhaps there is some uninhabited offshore island where they could all be moved to...
dannyboy
QUOTE (Newbury Expat @ Apr 26 2010, 07:10 PM) *
And a protest today.

http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/News/Article...articleID=13128

Some residents are clearly fed up with some of the 'people' who live in the Avenue.

one person.

Hopefully there will be some apologising to the rest soon.
Iommi
QUOTE (dannyboy @ Apr 26 2010, 07:25 PM) *
one person. Hopefully there will be some apologising to the rest soon.

I doubt it.
dannyboy
QUOTE (Iommi @ Apr 26 2010, 07:28 PM) *
I doubt it.

Funny that.

A group of residents ask for what many here post endlessly about & no-one has the balls to say 'I was wrong'
Iommi
QUOTE (dannyboy @ Apr 26 2010, 07:37 PM) *
Funny that. A group of residents ask for what many here post endlessly about & no-one has the balls to say 'I was wrong'

Who was wrong and why? St George's Ave has had a reputation since I can remember. At the moment a whole bunch of residents campaigned to get a family out. This doesn't mean there are no more, but in any case, I don't think anyone said that St George's Ave was made up entirely of hardened thugs.
hamster
Many of the posts on this thread prove what a bunch of small minded snobs primarily post on this forum.
I refer specifically to the slating given to St Georges Avenue. If you knew the road you would know that actually it is a very small percentage of residents who bring it down, unfortunately those small number create the most visual and "news worthy" problems that create your snobbish views.

Yes I grew up there and yes I was lucky enough to have a grounded mother (yes alas a single mother), my sibling and I went to university and we both pay through the nose for Council Tax as adults just as you do. A few of my "Scabby Ave" friends have done okay for themselves too.
I still have family there and there is no doubt there are problems there but your snobbish-ness disgusts me as much as the state of the road I grow up in.

You will never know the way I felt at school when the teachers asked where we lived and what our parents did and the scorn from class mates because of where I lived and because I only had a mother not a father. The scorn those kids showed me were passed on from their parents like you lot.

If I do anything I will teach my kids to take each person as they come and not lump them into being I quote "Drunks", "wife beaters", "cr@p" unless the individual deserves it.

Don’t bother responding with comments like "sense of humour failure" etc as I have every right to be annoyed as you are lumping my family and many other nice people in that road into your comments and they do not deserve it.
dannyboy
QUOTE (hamster @ Apr 26 2010, 08:43 PM) *
Many of the posts on this thread prove what a bunch of small minded snobs primarily post on this forum.

I think you are being unfair to snobs. Bourgois fascists maybe?
hamster
I think snob probably covers it, they would like to think they are middle class but not sure we can define the classes anymore
diamond41970
QUOTE (hamster @ Apr 26 2010, 08:43 PM) *
I refer specifically to the slating given to St Georges Avenue. If you knew the road you would know that actually it is a very small percentage of residents who bring it down, unfortunately those small number create the most visual and "news worthy" problems that create your snobbish views.

Yes I grew up there and yes I was lucky enough to have a grounded mother (yes alas a single mother), my sibling and I went to university and we both pay through the nose for Council Tax as adults just as you do. A few of my "Scabby Ave" friends have done okay for themselves too.
I still have family there and there is no doubt there are problems there but your snobbish-ness disgusts me as much as the state of the road I grow up in.

You will never know the way I felt at school when the teachers asked where we lived and what our parents did and the scorn from class mates because of where I lived and because I only had a mother not a father. The scorn those kids showed me were passed on from their parents like you lot.

If I do anything I will teach my kids to take each person as they come and not lump them into being I quote "Drunks", "wife beaters", "cr@p" unless the individual deserves it.

Don’t bother responding with comments like "sense of humour failure" etc as I have every right to be annoyed as you are lumping my family and many other nice people in that road into your comments and they do not deserve it.

Hamster

You are of course quite correct in that sometimes a few residents can bring down a whole street but it does seem to be that problem families are located there by whatever powers that be. I used to live on Enborne Road and would spend many an evening watching the police helicopter going up and down the Avenue after having (maybe) chased a resident back there. I am no means a snob in fact I grew up on a council estate in South Yorkshire and my step father was on benefits for most of my life so I too was painted with the "poor little bit*h from the scabby council estate". Does that make me a 1980's CHAV ???? It is not just the Avenue in Newbury that has a reputation there is the Nightingales and Skylings - obviously Sandleford Rise (now another name I have learned from here) seems to have gotten a little better. Whatever town you are in there are rough areas but that does not make the people who do not live in those areas "snobs". I have tried to teach my kids that just because someone is from a certain area does not make them rough but it seems that St Georges has a reputation that will always be there. I am glad you went to university as that is more than I managed but I still live in a "council house" and still have the stigma of that - regardless of where it is situated.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.