Reply to this topicStart new topic
> St Georges Day
JeffG
post Apr 23 2010, 03:47 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 56

Thanks for all the links - made interesting reading, particularly the TVP one. There's a couple of things that confuse me though (mind you, that's not too hard! wink.gif):

Pound Street: There seems to be a big police focus on this road, but it's only a few houses on one side and Jewson's and a few businesses on the other before it becomes Enborne Road.

The Oaks: What or where is this exactly - all the mapping programs take me to Sandleford Rise.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rachel
post Apr 23 2010, 04:05 PM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 258

QUOTE (JeffG @ Apr 23 2010, 04:47 PM) *
Thanks for all the links - made interesting reading, particularly the TVP one. There's a couple of things that confuse me though (mind you, that's not too hard! wink.gif):

Pound Street: There seems to be a big police focus on this road, but it's only a few houses on one side and Jewson's and a few businesses on the other before it becomes Enborne Road.

The Oaks: What or where is this exactly - all the mapping programs take me to Sandleford Rise.

The Oaks that I know isn't a housing estate. Doubt it would be of interest to most people.

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Apr 23 2010, 04:24 PM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

Here is your answer Jeff..

http://www.thamesvalley.police.uk/acc/your...l-area-n199.htm

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Apr 23 2010, 06:44 PM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (Iommi @ Apr 23 2010, 03:49 PM) *
No, they just house them! tongue.gif Anyway, no-one said they had, .

Newburysound articles quotes SSW.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Apr 23 2010, 06:48 PM
Post #25

Advanced Member

Pound Street is where Newbury Mosque is

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Apr 23 2010, 07:24 PM
Post #26

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Apr 23 2010, 03:49 PM) *
Kevin Williams assaulted a man who was visiting his girlfriend[/url]

I bet there are just as many battered wives & girlfriends in the posh ends of town.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Apr 23 2010, 07:54 PM
Post #27

Advanced Member

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Apr 23 2010, 05:24 PM) *

Well, not really. I've seen that before (or at least the graphic version of the page - it was one of the links given).

It doesn't tell me why Pound (not really long enough to be a proper) Street is such a den of iniquity (I'm assuming the mosque reference made by another poster was not really relevant), or where/what The Oaks is when maps just point to Sandleford Rise.

+Quote Post
gizmo
post Apr 23 2010, 08:11 PM
Post #28

Member No.: 200

QUOTE (JeffG @ Apr 23 2010, 03:40 PM) *
To those people dissing St George's Avenue residents (all of them, by implication): do you have first hand knowledge of this, or is it hearsay?

Personally, I've only been down there when on the bus (a rare occurrence it has to be said) and haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary, but wouldn't choose to go down there otherwise. I have my own opinions of the area, but it's all hearsay and I wouldn't post them as fact here.

I do have first hand knowledge of this and over 30 years worth. these homes were built after WW1 as "Homes fit for Heros".

Apart from a few residents down there the rest are a varirety of violent, druggie, alcoholic, thieving dregs of humanity.

I was assaulted by a resident from there, they got a caution. another resident stole from us. Another resident assaulted my grandfather who is in his 70's. another one was selling Class A drugs near my home. I could go on and on with this list all evening.

I also live near a Soveriegn Housing block of flats and in the last week we have had ASB and the boys and girls in blue turn up on mass.

+Quote Post
CBW137Y
post Apr 23 2010, 08:22 PM
Post #29

Advanced Member

Member No.: 223

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Apr 23 2010, 09:24 PM) *
I bet there are just as many battered wives & girlfriends in the posh ends of town.

Hear, hear!!

I went to primary and secondary school with a number of St Georges Avenue residents. I am still to this day friends with a couple of these people, who have grown up to be hard working, decent and law abiding citizens. The others had a hard time with their family life, granted. Not sure what happened to them and what their circumstances are now. For all I know, they could well have turned to crime, drink or drugs themselves. While I know that certain areas of town have a terrible reputation, please don't tar everyone with the same brush.

So what if the folk of St Georges Ave are having a party? I very much doubt that if there is any trouble, it will leave the avenue. If it's perhaps a little jealousy that they are having a party...then revert to the other thread about street names and famous local people, and nominate a street name to include 'George', move there and throw a street party in a couple of years rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Apr 23 2010, 08:53 PM
Post #30

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

Sandleford Rise hasn't existed for at least 4 years, probably more. It got redeveloped into The Oaks.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Apr 24 2010, 12:40 AM
Post #31

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Apr 23 2010, 08:24 PM) *

St Georges Ave is still known as a toilet regardless. Everyone in Newbury 'knows' that. Sh*t sticks, regrettably. sad.gif

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Apr 24 2010, 09:18 AM
Post #32

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ Apr 23 2010, 09:53 PM) *
Sandleford Rise hasn't existed for at least 4 years, probably more. It got redeveloped into The Oaks.

That's interesting because Google maps shows it as Sandleford Rise and the caption says the map data is from 2010. It also shows Falkland Veterinary Clinic in its new location - I think they moved within the last couple of years.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?client=firef....01929&z=16

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Apr 24 2010, 09:49 AM
Post #33

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

Oh OK, Google maps MUST be correct then. I'm a little suprised that supposedly local people on a local forum don't know some of the main estates in Newbury.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Apr 24 2010, 10:35 AM
Post #34

Advanced Member

I've lived in Newbury all my life and I couldn't have told you where The Oaks is, but I could tell you where Sandleford Rise is! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Apr 24 2010, 01:56 PM
Post #35

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ Apr 24 2010, 10:49 AM) *
Oh OK, Google maps MUST be correct then. I'm a little suprised that supposedly local people on a local forum don't know some of the main estates in Newbury.

QUOTE (Iommi @ Apr 24 2010, 11:35 AM) *
I've lived in Newbury all my life and I couldn't have told you where The Oaks is, but I could tell you where Sandleford Rise is! tongue.gif

Exactly. I've lived in Newbury since 1974 but with all the recent building and re-naming of places (e.g. Turnpike rebranded as Clay Hill) it's hard to keep pace! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Roost
post Apr 24 2010, 02:40 PM
Post #36

Advanced Member

Member No.: 31

The Oaks is indeed what was Sandleford Rise. It was redeveloped on a rolling scale from about 2000 with the first residents moving in right from completion of the first flats / houses.
I believe it was finished around 2006.

Incidentally the chinese just by The Oaks on Newtown Road is one of the best in town and also does a mean fish and chips!!

Iommi, sounds like you may remember the Rise for the same reasons that I do..!

--------------------
Roost

Welcome to the jungle....

+Quote Post
user23
post Apr 25 2010, 06:32 PM
Post #37

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (JeffG @ Apr 24 2010, 10:18 AM) *
That's interesting because Google maps shows it as Sandleford Rise and the caption says the map data is from 2010. It also shows Falkland Veterinary Clinic in its new location - I think they moved within the last couple of years.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?client=firef....01929&z=16
Google Maps isn't always accurate, here LA Fitness is actually an old people's home.

Google Maps

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Apr 25 2010, 08:49 PM
Post #38

Advanced Member

QUOTE (user23 @ Apr 25 2010, 07:32 PM) *
Google Maps isn't always accurate, here LA Fitness is actually an old people's home.

Google Maps

Correct, but in this case irrelevant.

+Quote Post
diamond41970
post Apr 25 2010, 09:13 PM
Post #39

Advanced Member

Member No.: 785

Sorry are we still allowed to celebrate St George's Day ???

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Apr 25 2010, 09:16 PM
Post #40

Advanced Member

Perhaps, but I have been told that the old bill were summonsed en masse to the 'Ave' again, yesterday! rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 07:59 PM