> WBC parking con
Exhausted
post Oct 5 2015, 03:27 PM
Post #521

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 320

QUOTE (MontyPython @ Sep 11 2015, 06:09 PM) *
I am not saying it should be free, just not a cash cow to subsidise other services. A reduction in funding from Central Government should be spread across the whole community not just the motorist, after cost reduction initiatives have been implemented of course.

I may be wrong but I thought car parking income could not be treated as revenue income and was restricted to highway costs.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Oct 5 2015, 03:34 PM
Post #522

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (DJE @ Oct 5 2015, 03:33 PM) *
I see that double yellow lines have recently been added in the section of Station Road close to the station Northern entrance, where before it was unrestricted free parking.

The road is very wide at this point, far wider than around the corner, where there are parking bays. Parking there did not cause an obstruction or hazard.

I can see no useful purpose in restricting parking here. It is pure bloodymindedness and greed.

I suspect it is to drive motorists into paying bays, or private car parks.

The council need to be reminded that parking charges should only cover costs, and cannot lawfully be used to raise funds for other council activities.

At what point does STATION APPROACH (Station Road is on the South side of the station) become private land under the control of APCOA?
I thought it was just on the corner by Pageant?
If so the council have no jurisdiction on this piece of road?
P.S. There were double yellow lines here before but were faded and no one took any notice of them.
They have just been re-drawn.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Oct 5 2015, 04:20 PM
Post #523

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

I see that double yellow lines have recently been added in the section of Station Road close to the station Northern entrance, where before it was unrestricted free parking.

The road is very wide at this point, far wider than around the corner, where there are parking bays. Parking there did not cause an obstruction or hazard.

I can see no useful purpose in restricting parking here. It is pure bloodymindedness and greed.

The council need to be reminded that parking charges should only cover costs, and cannot lawfully be used to raise funds for other council activities.

So long as the money they take doesn't exceed the amount they spend it would be hard to prove they are.

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Oct 5 2015, 07:28 PM
Post #524

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

I think you'll find that road is owned by Network Rail. Their parking contractors (the company that managed the car parks either side of the station) refreshed all the lines and added some new ones for good measure – which they’re entitled to do on a private road if people are parking there for free and avoiding their charges.

EDIT:
QUOTE (Biker1 @ Oct 5 2015, 04:34 PM) *
At what point does STATION APPROACH (Station Road is on the South side of the station) become private land under the control of APCOA?

Correct. And APCOA painted the lines

+Quote Post
DJE
post Oct 5 2015, 08:30 PM
Post #525

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,761

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Oct 5 2015, 05:20 PM) *
So long as the money they take doesn't exceed the amount they spend it would be hard to prove they are.

If the money they take doesn't exceed the amount they spend (on parking admin), then by definition they wouldn't be.

+Quote Post
DJE
post Oct 5 2015, 08:39 PM
Post #526

Advanced Member

QUOTE (spartacus @ Oct 5 2015, 08:28 PM) *
I think you'll find that road is owned by Network Rail. Their parking contractors (the company that managed the car parks either side of the station) refreshed all the lines and added some new ones for good measure – which they’re entitled to do on a private road if people are parking there for free and avoiding their charges.

EDIT:

Correct. And APCOA painted the lines

Apologies. I meant Cheap Street, not Station Road. I was referring to the stretch that runs from the corner by the road bridge (where Pageant Party is) westwards to the metal fence that partially spans the roadway. So where does the Railway-owned section of Cheap Street begin, at the junction by the Conservative Club?

I always assumed that the railway property started at this metal fence, and Cheap Street to the east of it was public highway.

+Quote Post
DJE
post Oct 5 2015, 08:52 PM
Post #527

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Oct 5 2015, 04:34 PM) *
If so the council have no jurisdiction on this piece of road?
P.S. There were double yellow lines here before but were faded and no one took any notice of them.
They have just been re-drawn.

This makes sense. Historically (before the railway!) Cheap Street ran further South. The East-West bit would have been built for the railway station, and so the boundary would logically be at the corner by Pageant, and remain so unless the new stretch of road was later adopted by the council.

Apologies to the council then, they are not responsible for the new yellow lines.

I wonder if the yellow lines on the public highway bit are still properly terminated with a yellow bar on the public highway? wink.gif

I'm not fussed really - the station is in walking distance for me nowadays.

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Oct 5 2015, 09:05 PM
Post #528

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

QUOTE (DJE @ Oct 5 2015, 09:39 PM) *
Apologies. I meant Cheap Street, not Station Road. I was referring to the stretch that runs from the corner by the road bridge (where Pageant Party is) westwards to the metal fence that partially spans the roadway. So where does the Railway-owned section of Cheap Street begin, at the junction by the Conservative Club?

I always assumed that the railway property started at this metal fence, and Cheap Street to the east of it was public highway.

The bit outside the fancy dress shop is public road. As soon as you turn the corner past the fancy dress shop and head toward the station entrance you're into private road.

+Quote Post

27 Pages V  « < 25 26 27
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 02:04 PM