dannyboy
post May 19 2011, 06:00 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 51

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ May 19 2011, 06:47 PM) *
So what is your position on this chaos?

My view is that the bins were not supposed to be chopped up. They were supposed to stay so they could serve the purpose for which they were intended.

Over zealous contractor, told to go to the site by the landlord & clean up all the rubbish etc prior to whatever the landlord has in store for the building / site next, over steps his brief & starts chucking out the fixtures.

Having once worked in the building contracting / facilities maintenance industry I can tell you this kind of thing is a daily occurence. Keeps the economy going.....
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
gel
post May 19 2011, 07:28 PM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 337

"Typical public sector" comment actually seems typical of the ill informed nonsense we often see posted here

Public sector not understand these words
Cost efficient
Save Money
Reduce waste
etc

Of course not!

I often come across gold plated/over the top specifications issued by the
Public Sector as I am sure others.
The Private sector who have investors to answer to wouldn't countenance it.

+Quote Post
GMR
post May 19 2011, 07:33 PM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

QUOTE (dannyboy @ May 19 2011, 06:45 PM) *
More cost. You assume that the bins were supposed to be chopped up.....

I believe they are looking into it?

+Quote Post
user23
post May 19 2011, 08:01 PM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (gel @ May 19 2011, 08:28 PM) *
The Private sector who have investors to answer to wouldn't countenance it.
They clearly would, given it was the private sector who disposed of these bins as there aren't any waste disposal services in West Berkshire run by the public sector.

It appears it's down to the public sector to look into what happened here as a complaint has been raised so it looks like it's the private sector wasting public money. Because of this I'll repeat again that it was ill informed nonsense.

+Quote Post
stormcloud
post May 20 2011, 11:26 AM
Post #25

Member No.: 366

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ May 19 2011, 06:46 PM) *
Perhaps some allotments might have like them, or people with larger gardens for their recycling?

The Councillors only let residents have one green bin per household - so it's fair for everyone. Should be composting if you have a large garden anyway.

Sounds like the bins belong to a commercial recycling collection company, not the council, anyway. Big load of hooha over nothing

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post May 20 2011, 12:05 PM
Post #26

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (stormcloud @ May 20 2011, 12:26 PM) *
The Councillors only let residents have one green bin per household - so it's fair for everyone.

There's nothing stopping you having as many bins as you like, but you are only allowed to put one 'approved' bin out for collection at a time.

Should be composting if you have a large garden anyway.

A bin can still come in handy for that as well; for gathering compost from the garden.

Sounds like the bins belong to a commercial recycling collection company, not the council, anyway. Big load of hooha over nothing

People should always challenge when they see something that looks wrong. How is the average person to know for sure?

Sounds like another councillor under disguise.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post May 20 2011, 12:20 PM
Post #27

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ May 20 2011, 01:05 PM) *

Boom-Boom!!

+Quote Post
stormcloud
post May 20 2011, 01:19 PM
Post #28

+Quote Post
massifheed
post May 20 2011, 02:06 PM
Post #29

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,215

*Yawn* rolleyes.gif It's the standard line put to anyone that doesn't bash the council whenever they can. It's boring now.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post May 20 2011, 03:28 PM
Post #30

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

Big load of hooha over nothing

Absolutely! ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post May 20 2011, 04:20 PM
Post #31

Advanced Member

QUOTE (massifheed @ May 20 2011, 03:06 PM) *
*Yawn* rolleyes.gif It's the standard line put to anyone that doesn't bash the council whenever they can. It's boring now.

That it not it at all. It is the fact people think things like this are unimportant. To some it is. I couldn't careless if this is a council issue or not, the net result is the same: waste.

QUOTE (Biker1 @ May 20 2011, 04:28 PM) *
Absolutely! ohmy.gif

Have you no trains to spot?

+Quote Post
Biker1
post May 20 2011, 04:38 PM
Post #32

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ May 20 2011, 05:20 PM) *
Have you no trains to spot?

It always gets personal on here doesn't it, rather than constructive argument?

What do you do in your spare time apart from make inane comments on here?

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post May 20 2011, 04:55 PM
Post #33

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ May 20 2011, 05:38 PM) *
It always gets personal on here doesn't it, rather than constructive argument?

What is so constructive about one word replies agreeing with people that think this story is unimportant?

QUOTE (Biker1 @ May 20 2011, 05:38 PM) *
What do you do in your spare time apart from make inane comments on here?

Put like that: nothing.

The point is, this is a forum, and for me, If I think something is not of interest to me, I'll ignore it. The most boring posts on here are from people who think that someone's posts or thoughts are unimportant.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post May 20 2011, 05:08 PM
Post #34

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ May 20 2011, 05:55 PM) *
The point is, this is a forum, and for me, If I think something is not of interest to me, I'll ignore it. The most boring posts on here are from people who think that someone's posts or thoughts are unimportant.

I take it you are not the kind of person who'd answer 'Don't Know' to a phone survey?

+Quote Post
Biker1
post May 20 2011, 05:17 PM
Post #35

Advanced Member

What is so constructive about one word replies agreeing with people that think this story is unimportant?

It backs up the argument that the person is making.
Some of us think this topic is unimportant and we are just saying so.

The most boring posts on here are from people who think that someone's posts or thoughts are unimportant.

But that's exactly what you did in your reply to my comment with your personal attack insinuating that I am a trainspotter. (A harmless pastime for those whose boat it floats, but one of ridicule it seems these days.)

Look, I don't want to enter into personal debates on here so I'll leave it at that.
I would like to see either constructive debate, supporting comments or some light hearted banter on this forum but NOT personal insults and attacks (which bring into question that person's ability to debate) just because there is a disagreement of opinion.
That's what debating forums should be about.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post May 20 2011, 05:59 PM
Post #36

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ May 20 2011, 06:17 PM) *
It backs up the argument that the person is making. Some of us think this topic is unimportant and we are just saying so.

I'm minded of the proverb: before one speaks; decide if it improves upon the silence.

But that's exactly what you did in your reply to my comment with your personal attack insinuating that I am a trainspotter. (A harmless pastime for those whose boat it floats, but one of ridicule it seems these days.)

I replied to what I thought was an all too familiar post from you. One where you have to express youR disinterest in a post or topic.

The point about train-spotting, was not that I thought it a trivial past time; merely pointing out that we all have our interests that some might find uninteresting.

I wouldn't criticise someone for disagreeing, but I will if they insist on deriding others that do. The fact people must express their disinterest in something, suggests they are in some form, trying to shout down, stifle comment, or simply ridicule.

Look, I don't want to enter into personal debates on here so I'll leave it at that.
I would like to see either constructive debate, supporting comments or some light hearted banter on this forum but NOT personal insults and attacks (which bring into question that person's ability to debate) just because there is a disagreement of opinion. That's what debating forums should be about.

I agree, but take your 'support' for comments like: "Big load of hooha over nothing" (in other words, unimportant). I thought both the comment itself (which I think I constructively replied to), and your 'support' of it, were misplaced.

I have entered plenty of what I would regard as constructive comment and argument on this thread (I urge you to have a read); what has your contribution been?

+Quote Post
stormcloud
post May 23 2011, 02:43 PM
Post #37

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ May 20 2011, 06:59 PM) *
I agree, but take your 'support' for comments like: "Big load of hooha over nothing" (in other words, unimportant). I thought both the comment itself (which I think I constructively replied to), and your 'support' of it, were misplaced.

I take exception to this - I believe that the Newbury Weekly News jumps on a bandwagon made popular by the Daily Mail and the Daily Express - that of stiring up trouble just to fill column inches and sell their papers to a certain section of our society. They run with a non-story, simply so that they can encourage the 'how terrible is the Council/Government' rhetoric without any insight into what is actually going on, or indeed any attempt to research or investigate the matter; in this case, 'how terrible is the Council for cutting up their perfectly good wheelie bins when they should be saving money'
The story is not unimportant, my comments are driven by my frustration at the way it is reported, and the story jumped upon by many members of this forum.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post May 23 2011, 06:17 PM
Post #38

Advanced Member

QUOTE (stormcloud @ May 23 2011, 03:43 PM) *
The story is not unimportant, my comments are driven by my frustration at the way it is reported, and the story jumped upon by many members of this forum.

You said: Big load of hooha over nothing. You then said: a non-story, later in the same post you said: The story is not unimportant. So which is it?

The NWN simply reported fact in this instance. A member of the public went to the WBC offices and made a complaint and the WBC seem to sympathise with him. I see nothing wrong with the reporting here.

+Quote Post
stormcloud
post May 23 2011, 07:37 PM
Post #39

ah, I've not been here long, but I can see from your exchange with Biker1 above that you, Andy Capp, are a narrow-minded, nasty little troll and I will bow out.

Biker1, you are a gentleman; don't feed the troll, lol

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post May 23 2011, 08:01 PM
Post #40

Advanced Member

QUOTE (stormcloud @ May 23 2011, 08:37 PM) *
ah, I've not been here long, but I can see from your exchange with Biker1 above that you, Andy Capp, are a narrow-minded, nasty little troll and I will bow out.

Biker1, you are a gentleman; don't feed the troll, lol

I'll never run away from a debate and I will say what I think. In this, your argument was evidently groundless, but that is the problem when people post before they think. You and others think it OK to deride people's views, but don't like it when it comes back at you.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 07:25 PM