Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WBC dumping good wheelie bins
Newbury Today Forum > Categories > Random Rants
gel
Typical public sector having scant regard for the taxpayers £.

Good on you Mr Moffat; pity you didn't get a snap too;

http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/News/Article...articleID=16783

Wheelie bin fires are very much a growing concern for those involved in fire safety.
dannyboy
QUOTE (gel @ May 19 2011, 09:18 AM) *
Typical public sector having scant regard for the taxpayers £.

Good on you Mr Moffat; pity you didn't get a snap too;

http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/News/Article...articleID=16783

Wheelie bin fires are very much a growing concern for those involved in fire safety.

What do you think the solution is?
Andy Capp
QUOTE (dannyboy @ May 19 2011, 09:52 AM) *

Store for re-use?
dannyboy
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ May 19 2011, 09:53 AM) *
Store for re-use?

Normally when you vacate a property you leave the bins for the next owner / tennant.

If some idiot in the mean time decides to dispose of the bins, it is hardly the fault of the council or the contractor in charge of refuse collection.

What Moffat should have done is called the council to tip them off that someone was cutting up their property. Not assumed that the council had sanctioned such activity. Typical knee-jerk reaction....

Maybe he was still feeling sore at his failiure to be elected? Nice ad for 'Leisure Promotions' too...
stormcloud
QUOTE (dannyboy @ May 19 2011, 10:00 AM) *
Normally when you vacate a property you leave the bins for the next owner / tennant.

If some idiot in the mean time decides to dispose of the bins, it is hardly the fault of the council or the contractor in charge of refuse collection.

absolutely - the Council vacated the premises. It is not their fault if the wheelie bins were disposed of once they were no longer using them.
Why did Moffatt asume they were 'council' bins anyway? They could belong to any number of commercial companies couldn't they?
Andy Capp
QUOTE (dannyboy @ May 19 2011, 10:00 AM) *

What Moffat should have done is called the council to tip them off that someone was cutting up their property. Not assumed that the council had sanctioned such activity. Typical knee-jerk reaction....

Maybe he was still feeling sore at his failiure to be elected? Nice ad for 'Leisure Promotions' too.

Your question wasn't what should the council do, only what should the solution should be, so my reply still stands.
dannyboy
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ May 19 2011, 01:16 PM) *
Your question wasn't what should the council do, only what should the solution should be, so my reply still stands.

You mean store them at the side of the building awaiting the new tennants?
Andy Capp
QUOTE (dannyboy @ May 19 2011, 02:18 PM) *
You mean store them at the side of the building awaiting the new tennants?

I don't believe my post said that.
user23
As has already been pointed out, these bins "belong" to the owner of Avonbank House so perhaps technically Mr Moffat has stolen them from private property.
Andy Capp
QUOTE (user23 @ May 19 2011, 05:15 PM) *
As has already been pointed out, these bins "belong" to the owner of Avonbank House so perhaps technically Mr Moffat has stolen them from private property.

Although they were being destroyed at the time. Wow-betide trying this trick at the local municipal!
user23
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ May 19 2011, 05:18 PM) *
Although they were being destroyed at the time. Wow-betide trying this trick at the local municipal!
Of course I'm guessing the circumstances here but if a private company wants to destroy a couple of bins it owns, on it's own property shouldn't they be able to? The "Typical public sector" comment actually seems typical of the ill informed nonsense we often see posted here.

If you live near Mr Moffat and you see him doing something you disprove of with his bin, perhaps some might peruse a similar course of action and confiscate it from him. wink.gif
Andy Capp
QUOTE (user23 @ May 19 2011, 05:24 PM) *
The "Typical public sector" comment actually seems typical of the ill informed nonsense we often see posted here.

The whole story seems like that. Although I have sympathy for the idea that we are meant to be making savings everywhere and conserving energy. This I would expect to mean making do. Meanwhile; as a society we are happy to promote spending and buying 'for Britain'. There's no coherent message.
Jayjay
This building had 20-30 green waste bins in the offices, similar ones that we have outside for garden waste. These were used by the staff for paper, cardboard etc., The rubbish bins were industrial style in the bin store to the rear of the property. I am surprised that when the building was vacated, these bins were not relocated along with the furniture and computers.
user23
QUOTE (Jayjay @ May 19 2011, 05:39 PM) *
This building had 20-30 green waste bins in the offices, similar ones that we have outside for garden waste. These were used by the staff for paper, cardboard etc., The rubbish bins were industrial style in the bin store to the rear of the property. I am surprised that when the building was vacated, these bins were not relocated along with the furniture and computers.
I suspect the bins are owned by whoever empties them and come with the building, whereas the furniture and computers are owned by the previous tenant.
dannyboy
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ May 19 2011, 05:04 PM) *
I don't believe my post said that.

Ah, I see - you had some idea of a great wheelie bin compound. Wheelie bins corralled & awaiting their next mission.

Problem with that is cost. Far greater than the loss of a few bins.
GMR
QUOTE (dannyboy @ May 19 2011, 09:52 AM) *

Give away free. I know of many people who would like them to store stuff in: garden equipment etc.
GMR
QUOTE (user23 @ May 19 2011, 06:06 PM) *
I suspect the bins are owned by whoever empties them and come with the building, whereas the furniture and computers are owned by the previous tenant.

But that doesn't stop them going to a good home.
dannyboy
QUOTE (GMR @ May 19 2011, 06:18 PM) *
Give away free. I know of many people who would like them to store stuff in: garden equipment etc.

More cost. You assume that the bins were supposed to be chopped up.....
Andy Capp
QUOTE (dannyboy @ May 19 2011, 06:12 PM) *
Ah, I see - you had some idea of a great wheelie bin compound. Wheelie bins corralled & awaiting their next mission.

Problem with that is cost. Far greater than the loss of a few bins.

Far cheaper to do nothing, or maybe have a word with Mr Tagg up at Greenham for tempory space, or advertise them on NWN website/forum? Perhaps some allotments might have like them, or people with larger gardens for their recycling?
Andy Capp
QUOTE (dannyboy @ May 19 2011, 06:45 PM) *

So what is your position on this chaos?
dannyboy
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ May 19 2011, 06:47 PM) *
So what is your position on this chaos?

My view is that the bins were not supposed to be chopped up. They were supposed to stay so they could serve the purpose for which they were intended.

Over zealous contractor, told to go to the site by the landlord & clean up all the rubbish etc prior to whatever the landlord has in store for the building / site next, over steps his brief & starts chucking out the fixtures.

Having once worked in the building contracting / facilities maintenance industry I can tell you this kind of thing is a daily occurence. Keeps the economy going.....
gel
"Typical public sector" comment actually seems typical of the ill informed nonsense we often see posted here

Public sector not understand these words
Cost efficient
Save Money
Reduce waste
etc

Of course not!

I often come across gold plated/over the top specifications issued by the
Public Sector as I am sure others.
The Private sector who have investors to answer to wouldn't countenance it.
GMR
QUOTE (dannyboy @ May 19 2011, 06:45 PM) *

I believe they are looking into it?
user23
QUOTE (gel @ May 19 2011, 08:28 PM) *
The Private sector who have investors to answer to wouldn't countenance it.
They clearly would, given it was the private sector who disposed of these bins as there aren't any waste disposal services in West Berkshire run by the public sector.

It appears it's down to the public sector to look into what happened here as a complaint has been raised so it looks like it's the private sector wasting public money. Because of this I'll repeat again that it was ill informed nonsense.
stormcloud
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ May 19 2011, 06:46 PM) *
Perhaps some allotments might have like them, or people with larger gardens for their recycling?

The Councillors only let residents have one green bin per household - so it's fair for everyone. Should be composting if you have a large garden anyway.

Sounds like the bins belong to a commercial recycling collection company, not the council, anyway. Big load of hooha over nothing
Andy Capp
QUOTE (stormcloud @ May 20 2011, 12:26 PM) *
The Councillors only let residents have one green bin per household - so it's fair for everyone.

There's nothing stopping you having as many bins as you like, but you are only allowed to put one 'approved' bin out for collection at a time.

Should be composting if you have a large garden anyway.

A bin can still come in handy for that as well; for gathering compost from the garden.

Sounds like the bins belong to a commercial recycling collection company, not the council, anyway. Big load of hooha over nothing

People should always challenge when they see something that looks wrong. How is the average person to know for sure?

Sounds like another councillor under disguise.
dannyboy
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ May 20 2011, 01:05 PM) *

Boom-Boom!!
stormcloud

massifheed

*Yawn* rolleyes.gif It's the standard line put to anyone that doesn't bash the council whenever they can. It's boring now.
Biker1
Big load of hooha over nothing

Absolutely! ohmy.gif
Andy Capp
QUOTE (massifheed @ May 20 2011, 03:06 PM) *
*Yawn* rolleyes.gif It's the standard line put to anyone that doesn't bash the council whenever they can. It's boring now.

That it not it at all. It is the fact people think things like this are unimportant. To some it is. I couldn't careless if this is a council issue or not, the net result is the same: waste.

QUOTE (Biker1 @ May 20 2011, 04:28 PM) *
Absolutely! ohmy.gif

Have you no trains to spot?
Biker1
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ May 20 2011, 05:20 PM) *
Have you no trains to spot?

It always gets personal on here doesn't it, rather than constructive argument?

What do you do in your spare time apart from make inane comments on here?
Andy Capp
QUOTE (Biker1 @ May 20 2011, 05:38 PM) *
It always gets personal on here doesn't it, rather than constructive argument?

What is so constructive about one word replies agreeing with people that think this story is unimportant?

QUOTE (Biker1 @ May 20 2011, 05:38 PM) *
What do you do in your spare time apart from make inane comments on here?

Put like that: nothing.

The point is, this is a forum, and for me, If I think something is not of interest to me, I'll ignore it. The most boring posts on here are from people who think that someone's posts or thoughts are unimportant.
dannyboy
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ May 20 2011, 05:55 PM) *
The point is, this is a forum, and for me, If I think something is not of interest to me, I'll ignore it. The most boring posts on here are from people who think that someone's posts or thoughts are unimportant.

I take it you are not the kind of person who'd answer 'Don't Know' to a phone survey?
Biker1
What is so constructive about one word replies agreeing with people that think this story is unimportant?

It backs up the argument that the person is making.
Some of us think this topic is unimportant and we are just saying so.

The most boring posts on here are from people who think that someone's posts or thoughts are unimportant.

But that's exactly what you did in your reply to my comment with your personal attack insinuating that I am a trainspotter. (A harmless pastime for those whose boat it floats, but one of ridicule it seems these days.)

Look, I don't want to enter into personal debates on here so I'll leave it at that.
I would like to see either constructive debate, supporting comments or some light hearted banter on this forum but NOT personal insults and attacks (which bring into question that person's ability to debate) just because there is a disagreement of opinion.
That's what debating forums should be about.
Andy Capp
QUOTE (Biker1 @ May 20 2011, 06:17 PM) *
It backs up the argument that the person is making. Some of us think this topic is unimportant and we are just saying so.

I'm minded of the proverb: before one speaks; decide if it improves upon the silence.

But that's exactly what you did in your reply to my comment with your personal attack insinuating that I am a trainspotter. (A harmless pastime for those whose boat it floats, but one of ridicule it seems these days.)

I replied to what I thought was an all too familiar post from you. One where you have to express youR disinterest in a post or topic.

The point about train-spotting, was not that I thought it a trivial past time; merely pointing out that we all have our interests that some might find uninteresting.

I wouldn't criticise someone for disagreeing, but I will if they insist on deriding others that do. The fact people must express their disinterest in something, suggests they are in some form, trying to shout down, stifle comment, or simply ridicule.

Look, I don't want to enter into personal debates on here so I'll leave it at that.
I would like to see either constructive debate, supporting comments or some light hearted banter on this forum but NOT personal insults and attacks (which bring into question that person's ability to debate) just because there is a disagreement of opinion. That's what debating forums should be about.

I agree, but take your 'support' for comments like: "Big load of hooha over nothing" (in other words, unimportant). I thought both the comment itself (which I think I constructively replied to), and your 'support' of it, were misplaced.

I have entered plenty of what I would regard as constructive comment and argument on this thread (I urge you to have a read); what has your contribution been?
stormcloud
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ May 20 2011, 06:59 PM) *
I agree, but take your 'support' for comments like: "Big load of hooha over nothing" (in other words, unimportant). I thought both the comment itself (which I think I constructively replied to), and your 'support' of it, were misplaced.

I take exception to this - I believe that the Newbury Weekly News jumps on a bandwagon made popular by the Daily Mail and the Daily Express - that of stiring up trouble just to fill column inches and sell their papers to a certain section of our society. They run with a non-story, simply so that they can encourage the 'how terrible is the Council/Government' rhetoric without any insight into what is actually going on, or indeed any attempt to research or investigate the matter; in this case, 'how terrible is the Council for cutting up their perfectly good wheelie bins when they should be saving money'
The story is not unimportant, my comments are driven by my frustration at the way it is reported, and the story jumped upon by many members of this forum.
Andy Capp
QUOTE (stormcloud @ May 23 2011, 03:43 PM) *
The story is not unimportant, my comments are driven by my frustration at the way it is reported, and the story jumped upon by many members of this forum.

You said: Big load of hooha over nothing. You then said: a non-story, later in the same post you said: The story is not unimportant. So which is it?

The NWN simply reported fact in this instance. A member of the public went to the WBC offices and made a complaint and the WBC seem to sympathise with him. I see nothing wrong with the reporting here.
stormcloud
ah, I've not been here long, but I can see from your exchange with Biker1 above that you, Andy Capp, are a narrow-minded, nasty little troll and I will bow out.

Biker1, you are a gentleman; don't feed the troll, lol
Andy Capp
QUOTE (stormcloud @ May 23 2011, 08:37 PM) *
ah, I've not been here long, but I can see from your exchange with Biker1 above that you, Andy Capp, are a narrow-minded, nasty little troll and I will bow out.

I'll never run away from a debate and I will say what I think. In this, your argument was evidently groundless, but that is the problem when people post before they think. You and others think it OK to deride people's views, but don't like it when it comes back at you.
Biker1
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ May 23 2011, 09:01 PM) *
You and Biker1 think it OK to deride people's views,

Show me where I have "derided" someone's views.
Andy Capp
QUOTE (Biker1 @ May 23 2011, 09:29 PM) *
Show me where I have "derided" someone's views.

Actually, I'll take that back, apologise, and amend accordingly. What you tend to do is post your disapproval of topics that don't interest you, e.g. football.
Biker1
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ May 23 2011, 09:42 PM) *
Actually, I'll take that back, apologise, and amend accordingly. What you tend to do is post your disapproval of topics that don't interest you, e.g. football.

Yes I'll admit that I did do that on some "football" posts and subsequently apologised.
I now leave that subject alone as promised.
Perhaps you are right in some respects and I should leave well alone subjects that do not interest me.
I tend to do this generally but some topics, such as this one, I find trivial and feel the need to say so.
I will curtail this desire in future unless I can back up with a good argument as to why.
Enough said.
Simon Kirby

Though we do have a house troll, Andy Caps isn't it. I've found him to be very good at engaging with the argument, and but for his foil there'd be many lonely posts on this forum. It's nice when people agree with your point of view of course, but it's much more helpful when someone takes an opposing view as it just gives you more opportunity to advance your own argument. Do think about staying.
user23

A standard form practice this.

Call someone you disagree with a troll thus implying that their views don't count, however you don't have to disprove them or you'd be "feeding the troll".

A familiar tactic of a forum wind up merchant.
Andy Capp
QUOTE (Biker1 @ May 23 2011, 10:25 PM) *
Yes I'll admit that I did do that on some "football" posts and subsequently apologised.
I now leave that subject alone as promised.
Perhaps you are right in some respects and I should leave well alone subjects that do not interest me.
I tend to do this generally but some topics, such as this one, I find trivial and feel the need to say so.
I will curtail this desire in future unless I can back up with a good argument as to why.
Enough said.

To be honest, my 'spotter' quip'' was simply that. It was not intended as an insult or similar, even if it looked like it. If the truth were known, I have been to see Tangmere, although I find it much more of a spectacle when at full steam. It is strange feeling nostalgia for something I never experienced as a child. The first time I ever 'met' a train I was scared witless. I have been train spotting with a form tutor at my junior school, but I didn't catch the bug, as it were.

On topic: while the post might be in error, that is to say, a barely veiled knock at WBC, I think the story itself wasn't so biased. I do concede though, that had it been, this wouldn't be the worst thing they have ever been responsible for.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.