> WBC parking con
JeffG
post Feb 28 2015, 02:34 PM
Post #41

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 56

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Feb 28 2015, 11:42 AM) *
I don't see anything actionable. I don't think it is that stupid either. Or at least no less stupid that an sign that displays things like 'wef'.

The stupidity is in asserting that the council deliberately left the wef date on the sign (which obviously got overlooked when the others were altered) just so they could trap motorists in order to make money out of them. I am no fan or the council, but it just annoys me when people make ridiculous assertions like this. It was just incompetence on the council's part - not a deliberate act.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Feb 28 2015, 02:51 PM
Post #42

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,212

QUOTE (JeffG @ Feb 28 2015, 02:34 PM) *
The stupidity is in asserting that the council deliberately left the wef date on the sign (which obviously got overlooked when the others were altered) just so they could trap motorists in order to make money out of them. I am no fan or the council, but it just annoys me when people make ridiculous assertions like this. It was just incompetence on the council's part - not a deliberate act.

We have come to expect incompetence haven't we so that is acceptable...........but deliberate acts to raise extra revenue and no intention of reimbursement that may just be another incompetence too far! Even the long suffering and patient Newburian taxpayer may say enough to that eh? rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Feb 28 2015, 03:22 PM
Post #43

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (JeffG @ Feb 28 2015, 04:34 PM) *

I agree with you Jeff.
While not acceptable, and those fined should be re-reimbursed, I don't believe that this was done deliberately to fine motorists into swelling the council's coffers.
I have not checked, but surely there must be other signs along this road regarding parking fees?
Council bashing just going a little bit too far?? unsure.gif

Oh, and no, I don't work for WBC!! ph34r.gif

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Feb 28 2015, 11:55 PM
Post #44

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Feb 28 2015, 03:22 PM) *
I agree with you Jeff.
While not acceptable, and those fined should be re-reimbursed, I don't believe that this was done deliberately to fine motorists into swelling the council's coffers.
I have not checked, but surely there must be other signs along this road regarding parking fees?
Council bashing just going a little bit too far?? unsure.gif

Oh, and no, I don't work for WBC!! ph34r.gif

Nope. Bashing deserved. i.e. Jeff's talking cobblers in my view.

Just read: "While not acceptable, and those fined should be re-reimbursed"

It shouldn't happen in the first place.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Mar 1 2015, 08:35 AM
Post #45

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Mar 1 2015, 01:55 AM) *

Just read: "While not acceptable, and those fined should be re-reimbursed"

It shouldn't happen in the first place.

Also read "I don't believe that this was done deliberately to fine motorists into swelling the council's coffers." rolleyes.gif
Yes they got it wrong and should be admonished but to suggest it was done in malice is "going a bit too far".

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Mar 1 2015, 10:21 AM
Post #46

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Feb 28 2015, 11:55 PM) *

Are you therefore saying that the council deliberately left the partial date on the notice in order to trap motorists? Which is what I said was nonsense, if you care to read my post properly.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Mar 1 2015, 10:31 AM
Post #47

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Mar 1 2015, 08:35 AM) *
Also read "I don't believe that this was done deliberately to fine motorists into swelling the council's coffers." rolleyes.gif
Yes they got it wrong and should be admonished but to suggest it was done in malice is "going a bit too far".

QUOTE (JeffG @ Mar 1 2015, 10:21 AM) *
Are you therefore saying that the council deliberately left the partial date on the notice in order to trap motorists? Which is what I said was nonsense, if you care to read my post properly.

I did read it and the council wilfully put an ambiguous sign in place. That means it was deliberate.

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Mar 1 2015, 11:25 AM
Post #48

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JeffG @ Mar 1 2015, 10:21 AM) *

After the deliberate penalising of motorists after being notified of the incorrect signage months before in Kings Road. After the deliberate penalising of motorists for crossing the wharf bridge
after being informed by a legitimate authority that the signage was not to the required legislation you would have thought that WBC would have inspected all signage promptly to ensure it complied with the current legislation and was up to date and relevant?

Not only have they not ensured this but knowing full well that motorists have been penalised knowing that their signage was totally misleading they are not even offering a refund to those who are prepared to claim one...........what other interpretation can you have other than it appears to be a deliberate revenue raiser? rolleyes.gif

If you were Managing the signage in Newbury and had articles in national newspapers and local media would you have not ensured that an inspection was carried out to ensure there was no more flack heading your way? Of course not our beloved WBC.....no one held accountable as usual......pocket the money and business as usual. angry.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Mar 1 2015, 05:57 PM
Post #49

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Cognosco @ Mar 1 2015, 01:25 PM) *
After the deliberate penalising of motorists after being notified of the incorrect signage months before in Kings Road. After the deliberate penalising of motorists for crossing the wharf bridge
after being informed by a legitimate authority that the signage was not to the required legislation you would have thought that WBC would have inspected all signage promptly to ensure it complied with the current legislation and was up to date and relevant?

Not only have they not ensured this but knowing full well that motorists have been penalised knowing that their signage was totally misleading they are not even offering a refund to those who are prepared to claim one...........what other interpretation can you have other than it appears to be a deliberate revenue raiser? rolleyes.gif

If you were Managing the signage in Newbury and had articles in national newspapers and local media would you have not ensured that an inspection was carried out to ensure there was no more flack heading your way? Of course not our beloved WBC.....no one held accountable as usual......pocket the money and business as usual. angry.gif

Just had a roll back through your posts because I have noticed a theme here and, while I am no fan of either council, you really do have issues don't you?
Your sole contribution to this forum is "council bashing"!!
I think you have made your point..............not keen eh? wink.gif

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Mar 1 2015, 06:29 PM
Post #50

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Mar 1 2015, 05:57 PM) *
Just had a roll back through your posts because I have noticed a theme here and, while I am no fan of either council, you really do have issues don't you?

Well spotted that good man! laugh.gif

It just beggars belief that with all the underhanded antics of both Councils they just carry on regardless and have no remorse or shame in how they treat the taxpayer who they are supposed to serve. And don't even start on how much needless council tax and precept they are just throwing away without a care it seems! angry.gif

Someone has to keep up the good work as it appears many don't have the stamina to take them on..........getting on the wrong side of some of these Councillors can cause a person a rather lot of aggravation you know........and of course the dreaded vexatious label awaits all who dare to take up the cause! rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
Rowley Birkin
post Mar 1 2015, 06:36 PM
Post #51

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,717

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Mar 1 2015, 05:57 PM) *
you must work for the council posting stuff like that

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Mar 1 2015, 07:56 PM
Post #52

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

What amazes me is that some now seem to see 'incompetence' as an OK position; so not worth mentioning. What a strap line to put over the doors 'WBC - not bad just incompetent'. I wonder if there is an industry award for that?

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Mar 1 2015, 08:22 PM
Post #53

Advanced Member

Member No.: 320

QUOTE (Rowley Birkin @ Mar 1 2015, 06:36 PM) *
you must work for the council posting stuff like that

Why's that. I find it amazing that one kind word regarding WBC must mean the writer works for them.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Mar 2 2015, 05:00 PM
Post #54

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

QUOTE (JeffG @ Feb 28 2015, 09:09 AM) *
That is absolute nonsense and you know it. Even the strongest council detractors here would not say anything so stupid (or possibly actionable, if the council could be bothered).

Is it? Let us look at the facts. I used to work for a sign company many years ago. One of the first things you learn is to make sure that signs don’t mislead. What are the long-term consequences of the sign etc?

WBC have said that they planned for the sign to be up well past the date of the beginning of the charges. According to them 6 months longer. Therefore they knew that that sign would be up for at least 2 months into 2015. But they didn’t say that on the sign or give a year date, so it was misleading. And people were hooked into thinking they could park there for free. This is all factual. They must have realised the possibility that the sign could fool people into parking there for free. So either they intentionally misled or they were grossly incompetent, naïve and stupid. The first possibility I would prefer because it would give the impression that they are at least intelligent, crafty and were planning ahead. If you go for the second option; that they were incompetent in not realising that the sign could mislead; and those people are in charge of running a multimillion budget. That is scary. Which do you think it is?

+Quote Post
GMR
post Mar 2 2015, 05:01 PM
Post #55

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

QUOTE (JeffG @ Feb 28 2015, 02:34 PM) *

Reading what I said above; it is not ridiculous.

+Quote Post
HeatherW
post Mar 2 2015, 06:18 PM
Post #56

Advanced Member

Member No.: 988

QUOTE (JeffG @ Feb 28 2015, 09:09 AM) *
That is absolute nonsense and you know it. Even the strongest council detractors here would not say anything so stupid (or possibly actionable, if the council could be bothered).

Nonsense. I think you are being naïve here. I used to work for a council in London many years ago and you’ll be surprised the tricks they think up to make more money. If you read some of the other things WBC have been accused of then you’d realise that GMR’s comments are totally plausible and realistic.

I’ve been reading in the paper about shorter parking bays etc. This has nothing to do with getting extra cars in but to make WBC more money. You sound like an employee of WBC defending your masters. I am very amazed with the gullibility of people of this country who believe whatever their councils' tell them. WBC left those signs up for one reason and one reason only. If they didn’t then GMR’s second prognosis about naivety must be the answer. And if that is the case then serious questions need to be answered over what or who is running WBC.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Mar 2 2015, 06:51 PM
Post #57

Advanced Member

QUOTE (HeatherW @ Mar 2 2015, 06:18 PM) *
You sound like an employee of WBC defending your masters.

And you, madam, can take that offensive accusation back. I have never in my working life worked for the public sector, and have long been retired.

I have been considering leaving this forum populated with people like you for quite a while, and now seems like a good time. Don't bother to wish me well.

+Quote Post
Spider
post Mar 2 2015, 07:07 PM
Post #58

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,832

I think it is diabolical what WBC have been getting up to, without no checks. They seems to be a law unto itself. I notice reading the posts in here that the only people who defend WBC are those that are connected to them in one way or another.
WBC has no excuses. They put a sign up that was misleading, either through incompetence or by design. Whatever way people want to pick they need to be held accountable.

+Quote Post
HeatherW
post Mar 2 2015, 07:23 PM
Post #59

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JeffG @ Mar 2 2015, 06:51 PM) *
And you, madam, can take that offensive accusation back. I have never in my working life worked for the public sector, and have long been retired.

I have been considering leaving this forum populated with people like you for quite a while, and now seems like a good time. Don't bother to wish me well.

Touchy! I think that you’ve answered my concerns quite nicely. Even though I haven’t written on this forum for some time I have often read the musings of the local scallywags and I’ve found them amusing and hilarious (on most counts). I doubt you will leave as you and one or two others are part of the fabric of this forum. Where else are you and others going to go to get the attention you crave?

How do we know that you’ve never worked for the public sector? Anybody can say anything on here and often do. With a lack of evidence of which way one might swing, we therefore must go on the musings of one’s writings on here. If I am mistaken then then I am mistaken precisely for that reason.

+Quote Post
HeatherW
post Mar 2 2015, 07:26 PM
Post #60

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Mar 1 2015, 07:56 PM) *
What amazes me is that some now seem to see 'incompetence' as an OK position; so not worth mentioning. What a strap line to put over the doors 'WBC - not bad just incompetent'. I wonder if there is an industry award for that?

Quite agree with you here. Company's get away with it because the public choose to look the other way and pretend our Councillors are there to do our bidding. WBC should be held to order and questioned every step of the way.

+Quote Post

27 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 04:03 AM