> New parking grace period and on-street parking
On the edge
post Oct 27 2015, 10:20 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 98

QUOTE (spartacus @ Oct 27 2015, 09:38 PM) *
WBC consulted businesses in this area several years ago to see if they wanted measures to ban HGVs from the area overnight and chase them back to the motorway services. The majority response from businesses was that on balance they preferred the 'security' of having truckers in place throughout the night rather than the place being deserted and a magnet for quiet crime or vandalism.

They complained about the toilet habits of some and still do. Finding a turd on your doorstep may only be a once every six months event, but that is 'all too often' in my book...

I think my mate who has a town centre apartment is probably more deserving of sympathy. Not a Saturday night goes by without human waste from one end or the other being deposited by his gate. Perhaps the lorry drivers are simply copying the locals. After all when in Rome. That is, if the culprit is a lorry driver of course.

--------------------
Know your place!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Oct 27 2015, 11:12 PM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,104

QUOTE (On the edge @ Oct 27 2015, 11:20 PM) *
I think my mate who has a town centre apartment is probably more deserving of sympathy. Not a Saturday night goes by without human waste from one end or the other being deposited by his gate. Perhaps the lorry drivers are simply copying the locals. After all when in Rome. That is, if the culprit is a lorry driver of course.

Ha! What have the Romans ever done for us?

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
x2lls
post Oct 27 2015, 11:32 PM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 511

QUOTE (On the edge @ Oct 27 2015, 11:20 PM) *

OK, so now we go down the road of Top Gear and blame all the lorryists of pooing in the street.

If your 'mate'. (Not the fat bloke down the pub), had any sense and understanding of electricity, he could nail the culprits.

--------------------
There their, loose loser!

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Oct 27 2015, 11:38 PM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

I think OTE is referring to town party-goers and the pavement pizzas liberally thrown (up) around town after a busy weekend of 'revelling'. I'm on about truckers with loose bowels.

+Quote Post
x2lls
post Oct 28 2015, 12:14 AM
Post #25

Advanced Member

Member No.: 511

QUOTE (spartacus @ Oct 28 2015, 12:38 AM) *
I think OTE is referring to town party-goers and the pavement pizzas liberally thrown (up) around town after a busy weekend of 'revelling'. I'm on about truckers with loose bowels.

An a$$hole is an a$$hole..

--------------------
There their, loose loser!

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Oct 28 2015, 07:29 AM
Post #26

Advanced Member

I like the idea x2lls - an electric door mat would probably be more effective than a camera!

Nonetheless, I think Spartacus has explained, I for one am far from convinced that lorry drivers are causing the problem.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Oct 28 2015, 10:35 AM
Post #27

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

Not a lot of point in doing much about lorries in Faraday Road - they are already planning to flatten the lot in the next year or two.

As for the wharf - the plans were not so much to flatten as to dig down, turn it into a couple of ponds. Needless to say this involved giving away land - notably the Waterside Centre and a chunk by the Park Way bridge (for a nice new pub).

What sort of thing are you hoping for OTE, a nice new multi-story car park? Or a big underground one (time to get the pumps going again)?

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Oct 28 2015, 01:11 PM
Post #28

Advanced Member

QUOTE (blackdog @ Oct 28 2015, 10:35 AM) *
Not a lot of point in doing much about lorries in Faraday Road - they are already planning to flatten the lot in the next year or two.

As for the wharf - the plans were not so much to flatten as to dig down, turn it into a couple of ponds. Needless to say this involved giving away land - notably the Waterside Centre and a chunk by the Park Way bridge (for a nice new pub).

What sort of thing are you hoping for OTE, a nice new multi-story car park? Or a big underground one (time to get the pumps going again)?

Just a bit of intelligence in the overall layout. It would look far better as a sheet of level Tarmac, but without the derelict fencing, concrete posts and redundant pavements. Stop pretending there is a road through the site and just lay it out as a car park. Make the gate to the bridge a real one; only buses should use that. There is absolutely no reason why the Market exit shouldn't be closed completely, but the taxi mafia would doubtless scupper that - but even so a simple gate would suffice.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Oct 28 2015, 09:43 PM
Post #29

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

QUOTE (blackdog @ Oct 28 2015, 10:35 AM) *

Can you say any more about what is planned for Faraday Road and the Wharf? Does the development of Faraday Road extend all the wy down Ampere Road? Is the Wharf basin going to be dug out?

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Oct 28 2015, 11:28 PM
Post #30

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Oct 28 2015, 09:43 PM) *
Can you say any more about what is planned for Faraday Road and the Wharf? Does the development of Faraday Road extend all the wy down Ampere Road? Is the Wharf basin going to be dug out?

I have no special knowledge, the extent of the Faraday Road revamp seems to change with each map printed by the NWN - the original scheme was fairly limited but WBC seem to have widened it loads. I have no idea how far down Ampere Road it goes, though the council do own a fair chunk of the land down there so some of it will be included.

The scope seems to be most of the estate - http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/news/news/12...raday-Road.html

The big dig in the Wharf has gone quiet since the public outcry scuppered the pavilion in the park - but I suspect a Wharf revamp is still lurking somewhere in the Vision.

+Quote Post
greenmeanie61
post Nov 6 2015, 09:22 AM
Post #31

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,710

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Oct 22 2015, 10:14 PM) *
Does anyone know if this means that theoretically there is now ~40 minutes free parking?

The 10 minute grace period is for vehicles displaying expired pay and display tickets.
If you don't have a pay and display ticket then a 5 minute observation period applies before a PCN is issued.

Having spoken to my colleagues to see what their feedback is from members of the public, the new charges have had a largly positive response from drivers. There are now almost always space to park in Cheap Street and Bartholomew Street and a lot of people are grateful of this.

I personally believe it is the shops responsibilty to tempt shoppers into the town, not the council's.

--------------------
GM61

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Nov 6 2015, 09:56 AM
Post #32

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (greenmeanie61 @ Nov 6 2015, 09:22 AM) *
The 10 minute grace period is for vehicles displaying expired pay and display tickets.

Thanks, but is a '30 minute' ticket considered a 'pay and display' ticket?

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Nov 6 2015, 10:28 AM
Post #33

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Nov 6 2015, 09:56 AM) *
Thanks, but is a '30 minute' ticket considered a 'pay and display' ticket?

Yes it is a 'Pay & Display' ticket, it's just that the tariff for the 30 minute period is zero. Tariff for 1 hour is £1.

Press the button twice for a ticket allowing you to stay for 30 minutes. Display that. The enforcement officers have to observe the vehicle for 10 minutes before they can slap a ticket on.

What I'm not sure (and GM can perhaps clarify) is your question assumes the officer is walking past a car smack on the 30 minute period and therefore a further 10 minutes of observation before prosecution allows 40 minutes parking. These officers in green can't be everywhere all the time though, so if they happen to check a car on one of their patrols and the driver has chanced it and the car has been there for an hour with just the 'free ticket' displayed without paying, does the CEO still have to give a further 10 minutes grace period before they can stick a ticket on or can they print off an instant enforcement ticket?

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Nov 6 2015, 01:08 PM
Post #34

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

QUOTE ("Caroline Sheppard @ chief Adjudicator at the Traffic Penalty Tribunal")
The new grace period applies in limited circumstances and not to parking on yellow lines. It does not allow a driver to park for an extra ten minutes, it just means the council will not issue a Penalty Charge Notice until ten minutes have passed since the parking time paid for has elapsed.

from: http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/ar...l#ixzz3qiTTkZUU

So you don't appear to get 10 minutes of observation time, just 10 minutes of grace past the ticket expiry time.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Nov 6 2015, 01:39 PM
Post #35

Advanced Member

QUOTE (spartacus @ Nov 6 2015, 10:28 AM) *
Yes it is a 'Pay & Display' ticket, it's just that the tariff for the 30 minute period is zero. Tariff for 1 hour is £1.

I think the term Pay and Display is now out of date and misleading. It should now just be called a parking ticket. I think big signs should say quite clearly: No parking without displaying a ticket.

Press the button twice for a ticket allowing you to stay for 30 minutes. Display that. The enforcement officers have to observe the vehicle for 10 minutes before they can slap a ticket on.

That can't be right, can it?

What I'm not sure (and GM can perhaps clarify) is your question assumes the officer is walking past a car smack on the 30 minute period and therefore a further 10 minutes of observation before prosecution allows 40 minutes parking. These officers in green can't be everywhere all the time though, so if they happen to check a car on one of their patrols and the driver has chanced it and the car has been there for an hour with just the 'free ticket' displayed without paying, does the CEO still have to give a further 10 minutes grace period before they can stick a ticket on or can they print off an instant enforcement ticket?

I read it that greenmeanie61 said that a parking tax collection officer will give someone 5 minutes to put a ticket on the vehicle (or sod off), which is a separate issue.

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Nov 6 2015, 01:48 PM
Post #36

Advanced Member

I assume it's national, but here in Reading if you're parked on yellow lines they have to give you 5 minutes of observation time, to make sure you aren't in the process of loading/unloading. The software on their handheld machines does not allow a ticket to be printed out instantly for that violation code. (If you're parked where there is a loading ban or where there is a 'No Stopping' restriction that's a different violation code and the 5 minute period does not apply and a ticket can be printed instantly)

If you're parked in a Limited Waiting or Pay & Display bay they now have to give you 10 minutes of observation beyond the expired time before they can issue a ticket and that is also presumably programmed into their handheld devices. From the comment Simon has put up it seems clear that you could park for 40 minutes in the 30 minute/1 hour bay without paying.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Nov 6 2015, 01:53 PM
Post #37

Advanced Member

QUOTE (spartacus @ Nov 6 2015, 01:48 PM) *
If you're parked in a Limited Waiting or Pay & Display bay they now have to give you 10 minutes of observation beyond the expired time before they can issue a ticket and that is also presumably programmed into their handheld devices. From the comment Simon has put up it seems clear that you could park for 40 minutes in the 30 minute/1 hour bay without paying.

If you have a ticket that is 30 minutes over time, I'd 'like' to think there is a code which allows for an instant print.

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Nov 6 2015, 01:54 PM
Post #38

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Nov 6 2015, 01:39 PM) *
I think the term Pay and Display is now out of date and misleading. It should now just be called a parking ticket. I think big signs should say quite clearly: No parking without displaying a ticket.

That wouldn't take into account the modern method of 'PaybyPhone'. No ticket displayed.

The 'Pay & Display' term is just an expression we're used to which may no longer be strictly accurate but we know what we mean. It's like people of my age saying they're going to tape their favourite programme off the telly when there's no 'tape' involved any more.... wink.gif

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Nov 6 2015, 02:00 PM
Post #39

Advanced Member

QUOTE (spartacus @ Nov 6 2015, 01:54 PM) *
That wouldn't take into account the modern method of 'PaybyPhone'. No ticket displayed.

I assumed a 'PaybyPhone' need still to print a ticket?

QUOTE (spartacus @ Nov 6 2015, 01:54 PM) *
The 'Pay & Display' term is just an expression we're used to which may no longer be strictly accurate but we know what we mean. It's like people of my age saying they're going to tape their favourite programme off the telly when there's no 'tape' involved any more.... wink.gif

I understand that, but pay and display is multi faceted 'noun' and I think it is misleading.

+Quote Post
Rdg
post Nov 6 2015, 02:55 PM
Post #40

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,577

Several pay by phone systems you txt them your reg number, they then have it in the system which uses ANPR to watch the car park entrance - if your number is in system no problem, if not sends a fine after looking up reg number on dvla database.

No warden to pay

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 07:04 AM