> Letters to the Editor
JeffG
post Aug 29 2010, 04:36 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 56

QUOTE (On the edge @ Aug 29 2010, 04:38 PM) *
things like making sure public investment is 'down South' the engine room of the economy - rather than being squandered on the ungrateful grasping Scottish.

I look forward to reading your letter on that subject in the NWN smile.gif.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Aug 29 2010, 05:50 PM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

The austerity measures have yet to bite. Lets see in 12 months. If what I understand is true, Thatcher will have sounded kind by comparison.

+Quote Post
HeatherW
post Aug 29 2010, 06:49 PM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 988

I am surprised by people’s innocence, or maybe I am more streetwise in this department than most. My uncle was a subeditor of a national newspaper. He educated me on the ins and outs of the newspaper world (a lot of it is shocking). Newspapers are mainly a cash cow for their owners (and in some cases for their owners egos). They are not there for the benefit of their readership. The letter section is not there to voice the opinions or concerns of their readers but there to augment its papers selling capability. Letters are picked on the bases of what it can do for the paper, and do not subscribe to JFK’s dictum “ask not what.... etc.”

On-the-Edge does have a point when he said “Some what ironic that quite a few micro papers have sprung up nationally- which focus on the immediate goings on which suggests people are interested”. But the reason for this is when you have competition then they have got to appeal to their audience in a way that will keep them. That is when the local letters page comes in on its own. At the moment we only have one local paper that serves the Newbury area so their readership has no way of getting what other local papers offer in other areas. A competing local news letter forum to wean people away from their competitors.

The other point, and concerning local papers, I wish to make is that they also must please the local police, councillors, shops, advertisers, important businesses etc so any letters that can or could criticises these entities will get short shrift. In other words no paper is going to upset its main links for the sake of individuals or what the mass-market want. More so where there is an area that only has one newspaper that serves the community. When that is the case, one has to accept what is on offer, not expect the paper to serve the community for the good of the community, but for the good of themselves.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Aug 29 2010, 06:58 PM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (HeatherW @ Aug 29 2010, 07:49 PM) *
I am surprised by people’s innocence, or maybe I am more streetwise in this department than most. My uncle was a subeditor of a national newspaper. He educated me on the ins and outs of the newspaper world (a lot of it is shocking). Newspapers are mainly a cash cow for their owners (and in some cases for their owners egos). They are not there for the benefit of their readership. The letter section is not there to voice the opinions or concerns of their readers but there to augment its papers selling capability. Letters are picked on the bases of what it can do for the paper, and do not subscribe to JFK’s dictum “ask not what.... etc.”

On-the-Edge does have a point when he said “Some what ironic that quite a few micro papers have sprung up nationally- which focus on the immediate goings on which suggests people are interested”. But the reason for this is when you have competition then they have got to appeal to their audience in a way that will keep them. That is when the local letters page comes in on its own. At the moment we only have one local paper that serves the Newbury area so their readership has no way of getting what other local papers offer in other areas. A competing local news letter forum to wean people away from their competitors.

The other point, and concerning local papers, I wish to make is that they also must please the local police, councillors, shops, advertisers, important businesses etc so any letters that can or could criticises these entities will get short shrift. In other words no paper is going to upset its main links for the sake of individuals or what the mass-market want. More so where there is an area that only has one newspaper that serves the community. When that is the case, one has to accept what is on offer, not expect the paper to serve the community for the good of the community, but for the good of themselves.

And I thought I was a cynic - but thinking about it, I'm inclined to agree. I suppose nationally Rupert Murdoch etc proves the point. So if the cash rolls in regardless they aren't going to care! As to the second point, NWN is apparently an independent - one of the few, so suppose it is in its interests to keep in with the local establishment. That of course does mean 'keeping things in perspective' so to speak. I think at least one other poster here says they haven't had letters printed; so is that the reason? The letter was diplomatically 'lost in the post'!

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
HeatherW
post Aug 29 2010, 07:04 PM
Post #25

Advanced Member

Member No.: 988

QUOTE (On the edge @ Aug 29 2010, 07:58 PM) *
And I thought I was a cynic - but thinking about it, I'm inclined to agree. I suppose nationally Rupert Murdoch etc proves the point. So if the cash rolls in regardless they aren't going to care! As to the second point, NWN is apparently an independent - one of the few, so suppose it is in its interests to keep in with the local establishment. That of course does mean 'keeping things in perspective' so to speak. I think at least one other poster here says they haven't had letters printed; so is that the reason? The letter was diplomatically 'lost in the post'!

It is nice to see the penny drop.

It does not make any difference whether a paper is independent or not, the point is and always will be profits over local communities wants.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Aug 29 2010, 07:13 PM
Post #26

Advanced Member

QUOTE (HeatherW @ Aug 29 2010, 08:04 PM) *
It is nice to see the penny drop.

It does not make any difference whether a paper is independent or not, the point is and always will be profits over local communities wants.

But are they still going to make a profit if they don't give the people what they want?

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Aug 29 2010, 07:53 PM
Post #27

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

And there is this largely unmoderated forum, of course!

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Aug 29 2010, 08:36 PM
Post #28

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

It's never occured to me that NWN is anything but a commercial operation, and I can't say I've noticed any particular pro-establishment bias in what makes the letters page and what doesn't. My own most recent letter to be published was described by Cllr Sheldon as "slagging off the Town Council", so on that basis I think it's only fair that I defend it's editorial balance.

My guess is that the letters page has shrunk because people aren't writing interesting letters. It's tough, but if you're inarticulate then the letters page is not the forum to express yourself. But does anyone take enough personal responsibility for anything anymore, enough even to write a letter to the paper? My experience from campaigning against the Town Hall's attitude to its allotmenteers is that people don't believe it's their place to protest against the establishment.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 30 2010, 09:20 AM
Post #29

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Aug 29 2010, 09:36 PM) *
It's never occured to me that NWN is anything but a commercial operation, and I can't say I've noticed any particular pro-establishment bias in what makes the letters page and what doesn't. My own most recent letter to be published was described by Cllr Sheldon as "slagging off the Town Council", so on that basis I think it's only fair that I defend it's editorial balance.

My guess is that the letters page has shrunk because people aren't writing interesting letters. It's tough, but if you're inarticulate then the letters page is not the forum to express yourself. But does anyone take enough personal responsibility for anything anymore, enough even to write a letter to the paper? My experience from campaigning against the Town Hall's attitude to its allotmenteers is that people don't believe it's their place to protest against the establishment.

Then you've been one of the lucky ones. And it suited the editor to let your through. But the fact is the letter pages has been shrinking while the letters to the editor has increased. Why?

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Aug 30 2010, 09:37 AM
Post #30

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

QUOTE (GMR @ Aug 30 2010, 10:20 AM) *
But the fact is the letter pages has been shrinking while the letters to the editor has increased. Why?

Is that a fact? how do you know?

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 30 2010, 09:44 AM
Post #31

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ Aug 30 2010, 10:37 AM) *
Is that a fact? how do you know?

A friend of a friend works at the NWNs. I also know of people who have written letters, but they have not been published. However, I will accept that the word 'increased' might be a bit too strong. The fact does remain that the Letter pages has been shrinking and that letters that haven been sent in aren't being published.

+Quote Post
DrPepper
post Aug 30 2010, 10:42 AM
Post #32

Advanced Member

Member No.: 776

QUOTE (GMR @ Aug 30 2010, 10:44 AM) *
A friend of a friend works at the NWNs. I also know of people who have written letters, but they have not been published. However, I will accept that the word 'increased' might be a bit too strong. The fact does remain that the Letter pages has been shrinking and that letters that haven been sent in aren't being published.

To keep it simple, there is no money to be made from the letters page. The paper makes it's money from advertisers not letters, and whilst advertising revenues are down the percentage of "free" space that can be given would, I imagine, go down as well - simple economics really.

Also the need for a letters page must be much less now that 12 people use this forum tongue.gif

Anyone written a letter to the editor to complain wink.gif

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Aug 30 2010, 10:49 AM
Post #33

Advanced Member

QUOTE (DrPepper @ Aug 30 2010, 11:42 AM) *
To keep it simple, there is no money to be made from the letters page. The paper makes it's money from advertisers not letters, and whilst advertising revenues are down the percentage of "free" space that can be given would, I imagine, go down as well - simple economics really.

Also the need for a letters page must be much less now that 12 people use this forum tongue.gif

Think that's about right. So a 'complaint' to the editor would therefore have no effect. So the real alternative might be a micro paper; or a hint to any other competition.

Agree there is no money in letters - it is simply a pull. A bit like all the school photos - Mum buys a copy so do all the relatives; simply increases the circulation so can keep the advert charges high. Arguably there is the same effect on letters - 'Did you see what I said in NWN...'

Question then is, anyone willing to take a chance with a micro production? Imagine, the Wash Common Weekly, or the Turnpike Terrier.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 30 2010, 10:52 AM
Post #34

Advanced Member

QUOTE (DrPepper @ Aug 30 2010, 11:42 AM) *

Sadly i agree.

I doubt it, the same ones still write letters, but they just don't get published.

Would it do any good? wink.gif

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 30 2010, 10:54 AM
Post #35

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Aug 30 2010, 11:49 AM) *
Think that's about right. So a 'complaint' to the editor would therefore have no effect. So the real alternative might be a micro paper; or a hint to any other competition.

Agree there is no money in letters - it is simply a pull. A bit like all the school photos - Mum buys a copy so do all the relatives; simply increases the circulation so can keep the advert charges high. Arguably there is the same effect on letters - 'Did you see what I said in NWN...'

Question then is, anyone willing to take a chance with a micro production? Imagine, the Wash Common Weekly, or the Turnpike Terrier.

Yes, then that will have them quaking in their boots laugh.gif

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Aug 30 2010, 11:05 AM
Post #36

Advanced Member

QUOTE (GMR @ Aug 30 2010, 11:54 AM) *
Yes, then that will have them quaking in their boots laugh.gif

Probably not! However, if I was running a local paper right now, I'd be thinking about the future - which doesn't look too good. So - keep going for a few more years and just fold OR do something more positive, because the alternatives will come and eat you.

There might be a glimmer of hope - this Forum for instance demonstrates 'someone there is thinking' wink.gif

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 30 2010, 01:12 PM
Post #37

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Aug 30 2010, 12:05 PM) *
Probably not! However, if I was running a local paper right now, I'd be thinking about the future - which doesn't look too good. So - keep going for a few more years and just fold OR do something more positive, because the alternatives will come and eat you.

There might be a glimmer of hope - this Forum for instance demonstrates 'someone there is thinking' wink.gif

But is it the right person? wink.gif tongue.gif

On a serious note; I agree.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Aug 30 2010, 08:17 PM
Post #38

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

The price of the paper has gone up by 25% in the last 2 years.

That should help the coffers a little. wink.gif

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 30 2010, 09:26 PM
Post #39

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Aug 30 2010, 09:17 PM) *
The price of the paper has gone up by 25% in the last 2 years.

That should help the coffers a little. wink.gif

The price gone up, the letter page reduced; there must be a moral there somewhere wink.gif

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Aug 31 2010, 07:30 AM
Post #40

Advanced Member

QUOTE (GMR @ Aug 30 2010, 10:26 PM) *
The price gone up, the letter page reduced; there must be a moral there somewhere wink.gif

Its War time restrictions - ration books next laugh.gif

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 05:59 AM