Opening in the Market place, where le petit square was

Don't know when but already taking xmas booking
Bofem
QUOTE (theone09 @ Oct 15 2010, 06:32 PM) *

Jeez - not another steakhouse! Can't we have an Indian change? huh.gif
TallDarkAndHandsome
Holy Cow! What's your 'beef' with a new Steak house? Its a 'Rare' treat for Newbury.... wink.gif
GMR
Another food place, just what newbury wants blink.gif rolleyes.gif
DrPepper
You rarely get a good old steak house these days, I look forward to it smile.gif

Anyone know what it's called?
theone09
QUOTE (DrPepper @ Oct 18 2010, 05:21 PM) *
You rarely get a good old steak house these days, I look forward to it smile.gif

Anyone know what it's called?

I did..., then I forgot. It's 2 words H........ & H........
thatcham resident
What we really need in newbury is a nice fish restaurant, preferably called Loch Fyne. smile.gif
TallDarkAndHandsome
QUOTE (thatcham resident @ Oct 18 2010, 10:37 PM) *
What we really need in newbury is a nice fish restaurant, preferably called Loch Fyne. smile.gif

Quite agree. It would be wonderful to be able to go out and have a nice fish supper. Preferably Sea Bass for me!
thatcham resident
QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Oct 19 2010, 08:36 AM) *
Quite agree. It would be wonderful to be able to go out and have a nice fish supper. Preferably Sea Bass for me!

Yes and i would have the delicious sea food platter, They tried to get one in thatcham a couple of years ago but were refused, on what they said that it would smell, but i think no more than an indian , chinese or a kebab place. And the nearest one is in reading or basingstoke, sad.gif
ossy1
QUOTE (thatcham resident @ Oct 19 2010, 09:06 AM) *
Yes and i would have the delicious sea food platter, They tried to get one in thatcham a couple of years ago but were refused, on what they said that it would smell, but i think no more than an indian , chinese or a kebab place. And the nearest one is in reading or basingstoke, sad.gif

There's no Loch Fyne is Basingstoke. Been to the one in Winchester, I was ill the following day as was someone else in our group!!

A proper steak house would be great, as long as the food is good it should do a good trade as it will be one of a kind.
thatcham resident
QUOTE (ossy1 @ Oct 19 2010, 11:36 AM) *
There's no Loch Fyne is Basingstoke. Been to the one in Winchester, I was ill the following day as was someone else in our group!!

A proper steak house would be great, as long as the food is good it should do a good trade as it will be one of a kind.

Sorry i didn't mean to have put Basingstoke i should have put Wokingham, and im sorry to hear you were ill after eating in one, but we have eaten in them on several occasions and have never been ill.
dannyboy
Loch Fyne is just another chain restaurant who warm up factory produced meals. Great. May as well buy a Findus frozen meal & stick it in the microwave.

I don't really care what opens where the PS was - so long as they make the food on the premises.
Richard Garvie
It's not Hooters is it???
dannyboy
QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Oct 19 2010, 12:16 PM) *
It's not Hooters is it???

We can live in hope.
dannyboy
Horse & Hoof. French cusine.
Richard Garvie
Have you heard of Outback Steakhouse. Google it, that is what we need in one of the cinema units!!! There are only three in the UK, but they are quite popular in the states, best thing about going out there a lot!!!
ossy1
QUOTE (dannyboy @ Oct 19 2010, 12:27 PM) *
Horse & Hoof. French cusine.

French cusine??? Not really what I would associate with a steak house!! Bring back the Klondyke, I only went once but it was great.
TallDarkAndHandsome
QUOTE (ossy1 @ Oct 19 2010, 01:11 PM) *
French cusine??? Not really what I would associate with a steak house!! Bring back the Klondyke, I only went once but it was great.

mmmmm Steak Tartare - Raw Cow.....
dannyboy
QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Oct 19 2010, 01:02 PM) *
Have you heard of Outback Steakhouse. Google it, that is what we need in one of the cinema units!!! There are only three in the UK, but they are quite popular in the states, best thing about going out there a lot!!!

If we are going to make the 4 units under the cinema US franchises, we should also add Dairy Queen, Sonic & a Taco Bell to fill the void.

Aussie Cheese Fries........
DrPepper
QUOTE (ossy1 @ Oct 19 2010, 01:11 PM) *

Ossy1 - have a look at the name again tongue.gif

Klondyke was great until it turned into a kiddies party type place.
Richard Garvie
QUOTE (dannyboy @ Oct 19 2010, 12:18 PM) *
If we are going to make the 4 units under the cinema US franchises, we should also add Dairy Queen, Sonic & a Taco Bell to fill the void.

Aussie Cheese Fries........

I have met the guy who runs Taco Bell through work, Bob Jenkins is his name I think? They own a few chains, none of which really float my boat. Golden Coral is good for a cheap meal, Applebees, Hardees, Logans, I-hop... so many delicious choices which probably couldn't trade in the UK due to food content haha.

Surely the cinema units aren't that small. Is there anywhere that you can view the layouts etc?

As for a proper steak, what pubs would you suggest locally? The only one I would vouch for is the pub in Yattendon. Fresh meat and superbly cooked!!!
dannyboy
The ground floor plan is here -

http://newbury.net/forum/m-1245857925/

all credit to Newbury Net for the image.
dannyboy

The Bladebone out over on Bucklebury Common was always good - butchers next door. Nothing in Newbury, unless you fancy the DT on a Tuesday.

Richard Garvie
The only problem with "Spoons" is that it's not actually beef is it? Still tastes alright though!!! wink.gif

*Without looking I'm not sure what it is... But it isn't from a cow!!!
dannyboy
QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Oct 19 2010, 03:41 PM) *
The only problem with "Spoons" is that it's not actually beef is it? Still tastes alright though!!! wink.gif

It isn't that bad. The drinks help wash it down. The rib eye is pretty good. At least it has to be cooked to order, using a cooker.

Richard Garvie
Unlike many of the other meals. I heard they have started doing Rib Eye so maybe the menu has changed since I last ate in one of their pubs. I confess that I have been known to frequent Wetherspoons at Breakfast time, the Farmhouse Breakfast is really good.
Bofem
QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Oct 19 2010, 03:55 PM) *
Unlike many of the other meals. I heard they have started doing Rib Eye so maybe the menu has changed since I last ate in one of their pubs. I confess that I have been known to frequent Wetherspoons at Breakfast time, the Farmhouse Breakfast is really good.

Hic!
Gumbo
QUOTE (Bofem @ Oct 18 2010, 01:21 PM) *
Jeez - not another steakhouse! Can't we have an Indian change? huh.gif

Another Indian? well your wish is going to come true!
dannyboy
QUOTE (Gumbo @ Oct 21 2010, 10:47 AM) *
Another Indian? well your wish is going to come true!

Great.
mamba
It's called The Hoggit & Hoof - website

Not a lot on there as yet, but the twitter page suggests there will be seafood and veggie options too. Looking forward to giving it a go. Newbury is crying out for decent independent restaurants (that aren't Indian or Thai).
HeatherW
QUOTE (theone09 @ Oct 15 2010, 06:32 PM) *

Excellent news. I love steak houses. When I went to America a few years ago I was addicted to them. We mainly dined out at Steak houses. And of course you can add so much to compliment the steaks. I hope they do American size whoppers?
HJD
QUOTE (HeatherW @ Oct 28 2010, 08:27 PM) *
Excellent news. I love steak houses. When I went to America a few years ago I was addicted to them. We mainly dined out at Steak houses. And of course you can add so much to compliment the steaks. I hope they do American size whoppers?

To match the whopping size Americans you mean. wink.gif
Berkshirelad
QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Oct 19 2010, 03:41 PM) *

See here
HeatherW
QUOTE (HJD @ Oct 28 2010, 08:47 PM) *
To match the whopping size Americans you mean. wink.gif

Yes. Exactly what i mean.
blackdog
QUOTE (Berkshirelad @ Oct 28 2010, 09:28 PM) *
See here

I don't really get this article - a zebu is a breed of cow, so its meat is beef. Why the fuss?
dannyboy
QUOTE (blackdog @ Oct 29 2010, 09:35 AM) *
I don't really get this article - a zebu is a breed of cow, so its meat is beef. Why the fuss?

Nor me. The Zebu is bred with other breeds to make them more tolerant to hotter weather.

Surely better than American beef which is full of steroids.
Bill1
Just been round and had a look at the menu/prices.

Some will be able to afford such things regularly, but for me and many others it would have to be a very special treat indeed and yes I know some would never be able to afford it.
dannyboy
QUOTE (Bill1 @ Oct 29 2010, 02:02 PM) *
Just been round and had a look at the menu/prices.

Some will be able to afford such things regularly, but for me and many others it would have to be a very special treat indeed and yes I know some would never be able to afford it.

for example?

Bill1
QUOTE (dannyboy @ Oct 29 2010, 02:05 PM) *
for example?

Sorry?
dannyboy
QUOTE (Bill1 @ Oct 29 2010, 02:05 PM) *
Sorry?

some example menu/prices.
Bill1
QUOTE (dannyboy @ Oct 29 2010, 01:10 PM) *
some example menu/prices.

I can't remember off the top of my head.

The website should be up and running soon apparently, so I assume it'll be on there.

If I pass that way Monday I'll make a note of a few and post them.
theone09
they have a couple of pics of the menu on the facebook group http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=3103...d=1458059608423

Rump Steak 20oz £23.95 - how long would it take to eat that!! I do love rump steak, but I'm not sure I'd be able to eat that much!

Wagyu ribeye £49.95 - Probably the best beef in the world!(apparently!)
blackdog
QUOTE (theone09 @ Nov 1 2010, 12:04 AM) *
Rump Steak 20oz £23.95 - how long would it take to eat that!! I do love rump steak, but I'm not sure I'd be able to eat that much!

Had a 32oz once - ended up as more of a chore than a pleasure.
Rosewinelover
I can't wait to go there, I love steak mmmmm yum.
Don't mind paying the expensive prices if it's worth it.
Brewmaster
QUOTE (theone09 @ Nov 1 2010, 12:04 AM) *
they have a couple of pics of the menu on the facebook group http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=3103...d=1458059608423

Sounds like a re-creation of the late and unlamented Pig in Hiding at Donnington.

dannyboy
£24 for a big rump steak?!? + £2.45 extra for mashed spuds!

That rump = £46 a kilo. for something which is about £6 a kilo from the wholesaler....
Bill1
QUOTE (dannyboy @ Nov 1 2010, 12:02 PM) *

That rump = £46 a kilo. for something which is about £6 a kilo from the wholesaler....

No need for me to go check then.

So, do you agree with my comment then Dannyboy?
dannyboy
QUOTE (Bill1 @ Nov 1 2010, 01:53 PM) *
No need for me to go check then.

So, do you agree with my comment then Dannyboy?

I do at those prices.

Can't see them doing much biz when there will be two Wetherspoons having their steak club nights.
HJD
QUOTE (Brewmaster @ Nov 1 2010, 11:16 AM) *
Sounds like a re-creation of the late and unlamented Pig in Hiding at Donnington.

Check out the Castle's Christmas Day Lunch. £75 per head. ohmy.gif
Jayjay
QUOTE (dannyboy @ Nov 1 2010, 12:02 PM) *

£100 per kilo from Smithfield.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.