Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A meeting!
Newbury Today Forum > Categories > Random Rants
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Rosewinelover
Hey all. So, how do you all feel about meeting up somewhere to chat/debate all out topics and get to know each other? Or would you rather not.....? Maybe you have all done it before (between when i first joined then restarted) Anyone interested???

I think it would be fun - if not eventful!!
GMR
QUOTE (Rosewinelover @ Jul 17 2010, 10:26 PM) *
Hey all. So, how do you all feel about meeting up somewhere to chat/debate all out topics and get to know each other? Or would you rather not.....? Maybe you have all done it before (between when i first joined then restarted) Anyone interested???

I agree and I think it would be a good idea, sadly I think a lot of members on here would be very shy.
ossy1
laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Have you seen how some people treat others on here do you think getting them to meet face to face in the same room is a good idea????
Jayjay
QUOTE (Rosewinelover @ Jul 17 2010, 10:26 PM) *

OMG I think I would rather go to Ace's stag night, far less chance of a punch up. laugh.gif
Rosewinelover
Ohhh come on!! It would be fun! I will leave my wip behind and employ bouncers wink.gif
GMR
QUOTE (ossy1 @ Jul 17 2010, 10:38 PM) *
laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Have you seen how some people treat others on here do you think getting them to meet face to face in the same room is a good idea????

Yes. The bad ones won't come anyway; they'll have nothing to hide behind. Would you come?
Rosewinelover
So far GMR and I, anyone else.... come on, surely your not all that shy - your not in your posts..!! wink.gif
ossy1
QUOTE (GMR @ Jul 17 2010, 10:44 PM) *
Yes. The bad ones won't come anyway; they'll have nothing to hide behind. Would you come?

Sit in a room with a load of people who when they communicate with me generally want to verbally attack me???? Hmmm i think i might prefer to be in labour on that day!!
Rosewinelover
QUOTE (ossy1 @ Jul 17 2010, 10:51 PM) *
Sit in a room with a load of people who when they communicate with me generally want to verbally attack me???? Hmmm i think i might prefer to be in labour on that day!!

I wont attack you! We are all entitled to our opinion. I just thought it might be fun, also it wont just be a room, i was thinking of a pub so we can all have a few drinks to relax us - then let the battle commence! tongue.gif
GMR
QUOTE (ossy1 @ Jul 17 2010, 10:51 PM) *

They don't attack you; you are a police officer so they presume you've got a sense of humour. It is called joviality. If they met you face to face they'll probably tell you what a wonderful job you are doing and then propose to you. Before you know it you'll be married and have their kids. Give it a try... after all you did become a police officer; so you must have a sense of humour wink.gif
GMR
QUOTE (Rosewinelover @ Jul 17 2010, 10:53 PM) *
I wont attack you! We are all entitled to our opinion. I just thought it might be fun, also it wont just be a room, i was thinking of a pub so we can all have a few drinks to relax us - then let the battle commence! tongue.gif

I agree. Ozzy is a lovely police woman (she is one of our favourites on here and the life and soul of this forum) so I am sure she'll join us. Either that or be policing us; either way we'll meet laugh.gif wink.gif
ossy1
QUOTE (GMR @ Jul 17 2010, 11:07 PM) *
They don't attack you; you are a police officer so they presume you've got a sense of humour. It is called joviality. If they met you face to face they'll probably tell you what a wonderful job you are doing and then propose to you. Before you know it you'll be married and have their kids. Give it a try... after all you did become a police officer; so you do have a sense of humour wink.gif

If my memory serves me correctly you are one of the ones that dont believe i am anyway. Sorry to disappoint but i don't drink anyway and i do tend to keep a wide bearth from newbury pubs. However i think a coffee shop would be better i dont think people with such strong opinions and alcohol would mix well.
GMR
QUOTE (ossy1 @ Jul 17 2010, 11:24 PM) *
If my memory serves me correctly you are one of the ones that dont believe i am anyway. Sorry to disappoint but i don't drink anyway and i do tend to keep a wide bearth from newbury pubs. However i think a coffee shop would be better i dont think people with such strong opinions and alcohol would mix well.

To be honest I am not bothered whether you are or not. You've give many members on here hours of fun debating with you and that is what forums are all about.

You do drink; just not alcohol... otherwise you'll be dead. Nevetheless we could meet up at a coffee shop. We could hold two meets; one at a coffee shop and one in the gutter pub.
Rosewinelover
QUOTE (ossy1 @ Jul 17 2010, 11:24 PM) *

It is not about debating all night though, just a few drinks and a laugh - no tit for tat antics, just a get together ????

Or, maybe i have thought this wrongly.....

Lets just forget this post.......why can't I delete, so annoying!

GMR
QUOTE (Rosewinelover @ Jul 17 2010, 11:31 PM) *
It is not about debating all night though, just a few drinks and a laugh - no tit for tat antics, just a get together ????

Or, maybe i have thought this wrongly.....

Lets just forget this post.......why can't I delete, so annoying!

No you haven't; I think it is a good idea. Ozzy is a bit testy because she wouldn't be happy coming face to face with some of the members on here who she put in jail or just nicked (which will probably be the majority tongue.gif ).

I am sure others will own up and say they'll love to come; as soon as they get out of jail that is. laugh.gif wink.gif
Rosewinelover
QUOTE (GMR @ Jul 17 2010, 11:36 PM) *
No you haven't; I think it is a good idea. Ozzy is a bit testy because she wouldn't be happy coming face to face with some of the members on here who she put in jail or just nicked (which will probably be the majority tongue.gif ).

I am sure others will own up and say they'll love to come; as soon as they get out of jail that is. laugh.gif wink.gif

Okay, well I will wait and see but it may be just you and me!!
GMR
QUOTE (Rosewinelover @ Jul 17 2010, 11:38 PM) *
Okay, well I will wait and see but it may be just you and me!!

Once they've read what you've just said they'll come; jealousy can go a long way. laugh.gif tongue.gif
Rosewinelover
QUOTE (GMR @ Jul 17 2010, 11:40 PM) *
Once they've read what you've just said they'll come; jealousy can go a long way. laugh.gif tongue.gif

As long as Dannyboy doesn't come to just purely strangle me!!! That's, if your coming Dannyboy.......
GMR
QUOTE (Rosewinelover @ Jul 17 2010, 11:44 PM) *
As long as Dannyboy doesn't come to just purely strangle me!!! That's, if your coming Dannyboy.......

I think he does come... but this is not really the place to discuss such personal problems.... and he might be shy. wink.gif

Good night my friend and see you tomorrow. Sleep well.
Rosewinelover
I think he does come... but this is not really the place to discuss such personal problems....

Oh my word GMR! I am sure he will have someting to say on that!!

Goodnight, time to sleep, my 'non set alarm' of a 2year old will be waking in a few hours wink.gif
Iommi
Sounds good in theory, but being anonymous is what makes forums worthwhile, otherwise they became just a virtual House Party...a nattering shop.
Strafin
I agree with Iommi. I have been on other forums met people and then all the fun is gone. I've also been on other forums where people know each other and it can get very cliquey, putting new members off. If a meet is arranged I may come, I'm not shy, but I'm just not sure it's the best idea.
Darren
I can see the headlines...

"Tragedy strikes Newbury Today forum meet.

Police are investigating the massacre that occurred when members of the Newbury Today forum met up today."

Throw in a few stock photos and a "Won't someone please think of the children?" quote and you have Pulitzer Prize winner.
GMR
QUOTE (Rosewinelover @ Jul 17 2010, 11:54 PM) *
I think he does come... but this is not really the place to discuss such personal problems....

Oh my word GMR! I am sure he will have someting to say on that!!

Goodnight, time to sleep, my 'non set alarm' of a 2year old will be waking in a few hours wink.gif

What? He'll have something to say about coming to the meet? I am sure he will.
GMR
QUOTE (Iommi @ Jul 18 2010, 12:13 AM) *
Sounds good in theory, but being anonymous is what makes forums worthwhile, otherwise they became just a virtual House Party...a nattering shop.

Being 'anonymous' means people can be abusive... saying things they wouldn't have the guts to say face to face.

They can be a nattering shop whether they know who you are or not.
GMR
QUOTE (Darren @ Jul 18 2010, 03:35 AM) *
I can see the headlines...

"Tragedy strikes Newbury Today forum meet.

Police are investigating the massacre that occurred when members of the Newbury Today forum met up today."

Throw in a few stock photos and a "Won't someone please think of the children?" quote and you have Pulitzer Prize winner.

At least it will give the NWN a good story.... and should we deprive them of such a story as well? wink.gif
GMR
QUOTE (Strafin @ Jul 18 2010, 02:03 AM) *
I agree with Iommi. I have been on other forums met people and then all the fun is gone. I've also been on other forums where people know each other and it can get very cliquey, putting new members off. If a meet is arranged I may come, I'm not shy, but I'm just not sure it's the best idea.

I've also been to forum meets and I don't share your vision. Maybe you've been to the wrong ones. wink.gif
Iommi
QUOTE (GMR @ Jul 18 2010, 09:07 AM) *
Being 'anonymous' means people can be abusive... saying things they wouldn't have the guts to say face to face.

Yes, I know. Although it is not just 'guts', it can also be out of deference.

QUOTE (GMR @ Jul 18 2010, 09:07 AM) *
They can be a nattering shop whether they know who you are or not.

I agree, but I'm expressing my reasons why I'd rather remain anonymous to the members of this forum. Although if a need came to meet anyone, I'd have no problem with that. Anonymity is just something, I'd prefer.

It's up to everyone else. Who knows, I might just go to look and see, and yet remain anonymous! tongue.gif
GMR
QUOTE (Iommi @ Jul 18 2010, 10:53 AM) *
Yes, I know. Although it is not just 'guts', it can also be out of deference.

I agree, but I'm expressing my reasons why I'd rather remain anonymous to the members of this forum. Although if a need came to meet anyone, I'd have no problem with that. Anonymity is just something, I'd prefer.

It's up to everyone else. Who knows, I might just go to look and see, and yet remain anonymous! tongue.gif

Maybe behind your 'tough' forum exterior (or should that be interior?) lurks a shy boy.... i would imagine.
Iommi
QUOTE (GMR @ Jul 18 2010, 11:07 AM) *
Maybe behind your 'tough' forum exterior (or should that be interior?) lurks a shy boy.... i would imagine.

I'm far from tough, although I tend to say what I think when given the opportunity, but I wouldn't say I'm shy. I've spent most of my adult life putting myself in the firing-line socially. wink.gif
CBW137Y
Well, I'm in a different country now, even though I do still show my face in Newbury several times a year. It's rather amusing lurking on here, watching you lot pick each other to pieces from afar though.

Set the meeting up, open invite. If people show, they show. If not.....well then at least GMR and Rosewinelover can enjoy a glass of three of something and have a good old natter.

If the dates suit one of my next visits to the UK......I might just drop in!
GMR
QUOTE (CBW137Y @ Jul 18 2010, 11:41 AM) *
Well, I'm in a different country now, even though I do still show my face in Newbury several times a year. It's rather amusing lurking on here, watching you lot pick each other to pieces from afar though.

Set the meeting up, open invite. If people show, they show. If not.....well then at least GMR and Rosewinelover can enjoy a glass of three of something and have a good old natter.

If the dates suit one of my next visits to the UK......I might just drop in!

We can always work around you.

Glad to see you on. I hope you are ok?
CBW137Y
QUOTE (GMR @ Jul 18 2010, 12:48 PM) *
We can always work around you.

Glad to see you on. I hope you are ok?

Crumbs, in that case, I'd expect a red carpet, and a free bar!! wink.gif

Seriously though....I'm back the first weekend of August for the other half's birthday, then not sure after that.

All good, thx - don't get to log on as oft as I might like.
GMR
QUOTE (CBW137Y @ Jul 18 2010, 11:56 AM) *
Crumbs, in that case, I'd expect a red carpet, and a free bar!! wink.gif

Seriously though....I'm back the first weekend of August for the other half's birthday, then not sure after that.

All good, thx - don't get to log on as oft as I might like.

Well, if our friend is up for it we'll have a meeting then in the first week of August.
user23
Community groups already exists to discuss local issues.

Why not join one of those if you're looking to get more involved in discussing local issues with others?
GMR
QUOTE (user23 @ Jul 18 2010, 12:25 PM) *
Community groups already exists to discuss local issues.

Why not join one of those if you're looking to get more involved in discussing local issues with others?

That is not what she is asking. She want to meet people on a forum she is currently using. Forum meets are part of forum life (for those that want it). I think it is a good idea....
tim
I would love to come along & meet you all . I do not get much chance to get out having a 2 year old son to look after when my fiancee is working. Count me in Amie wink.gif
GMR
QUOTE (tim @ Jul 18 2010, 03:37 PM) *
I would love to come along & meet you all . I do not get much chance to get out having a 2 year old son to look after when my fiancee is working. Count me in Amie wink.gif

That is great. It should be a good meet.
On the edge
What a great idea! Count me in. That then adds some social interaction - which would at least give some validity to what happens here. As for Community Groups - been there, done that, have the T shirt...afraid I no longer like being preached at by the local great and good. No, this is a much better idea - what have we got to loose?
GMR
QUOTE (On the edge @ Jul 18 2010, 06:06 PM) *
What a great idea! Count me in. That then adds some social interaction - which would at least give some validity to what happens here. As for Community Groups - been there, done that, have the T shirt...afraid I no longer like being preached at by the local great and good. No, this is a much better idea - what have we got to loose?

What some have to lose is their identity. Some think they are caped crusaders and being unmasked might make them look mortal (read as vulnerable).
Iommi
QUOTE (GMR @ Jul 18 2010, 06:49 PM) *
What some have to lose is their identity.

Surely the opposite? Or perhaps you meant anonymity?

QUOTE (GMR @ Jul 18 2010, 06:49 PM) *
Some think they are caped crusaders and being unmasked might make them look mortal (read as vulnerable).

'Look mortal'; what does that look like? Vulnerable, possibly, or perhaps there are people that just ain't interested?
GMR
QUOTE (Iommi @ Jul 18 2010, 07:30 PM) *
Surely the opposite? Or perhaps you meant anonymity?

The first could be close; for some.

'Look mortal': what does that look like? Vulnerable, possibly, or perhaps there are people that just ain't interested?

Or they won't be out of prison in time. wink.gif
Iommi
They say one should never meet your idols. tongue.gif There is also the fear that people you might think are all right, in fact aren't! ohmy.gif
GMR
QUOTE (Iommi @ Jul 18 2010, 07:37 PM) *
They say one should never meet your idols. tongue.gif

Good point and I'll have to give you that; now I can understand why you don't want to meet me. How about a signed autograph, the least I can do for you?

There is also the fear that people you might think are all right, in fact aren't! ohmy.gif

The only way you are going to see what the temperature of the water is, is if you dip your toe in it. Unless you have a fear of water?
Iommi
QUOTE (GMR @ Jul 18 2010, 07:43 PM) *
The only way you are going to see what the temperature of the water is, is if you dip your toe in it. Unless you have a fear of water?

Nah, these days, I'd use modern technology like thermometers! wink.gif
GMR
QUOTE (Iommi @ Jul 18 2010, 07:54 PM) *
Nah, these days, I'd use modern technology like thermometers! wink.gif

But you still have to stick it in to get the temperature. wink.gif
Iommi
QUOTE (GMR @ Jul 18 2010, 07:58 PM) *
But you still have to stick it in to get the temperature. wink.gif

Metaphorically speaking, I have a computer with access to this forum for that! wink.gif In any case, the answers still no, but thanks for asking. So if you don't mind...
On the edge
The original suggestion is still very good. This type of forum might have a place - but in reality as everyone hides behind anonymity; its certainly no measure of public opinion and at best it can never be any more than a vent for people to let off steam. I know I do it – simply following convention, but why fly under false colours?
GMR
QUOTE (Iommi @ Jul 18 2010, 08:04 PM) *
Metaphorically speaking, I have a computer with access to this forum for that! wink.gif In any case, the answers still no, but thanks for asking. So if you don't mind...

OK, we've exhausted that one laugh.gif
Strafin
Why do people come on forums to "make a difference" or monitor public opinion, or make friends? It's a forum people, the idea is it stays on the internet and is here exactly so people can let off steam, debate, or chat anonymously.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.