Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Football's coming home......
Newbury Today Forum > Categories > Random Rants
spartacus
Well I imagine those landlords who were willing to shell out for the outdoor BIG screen footie in the Market Place are breathing a huge sigh of relief that they didn't waste their money....

The bird that was seen resting on the Algerian net wasn't disturbed all match.... There could have been a whole flock of birds sitting there without a problem

That's an hour and a half of my life I won't get back......

Still, is there some rugby on this weekend... (please)

(psst...... Argentina v Scotland, 19:45, Australia v England, 11:00, New Zealand v Wales, 8:35, South Africa v Italy, 14:00 laugh.gif )
GMR
England will win next week.... I have confidence.
spartacus
ENGLAND!!

They say 'laughter is the best medicine'.. the NHS ought to have DVDs of that match on prescription...

I also understand that Mars are considering taking the red cross off the wrappers - leaving a nice white surrender flag....

Exhausted
I'm not a footie person but watched tonight and couldn't believe what I saw. An uninspired England team played with a lot of tired players who seemed to be content with 50% effort.
Got to be something to do with management.
GMR
QUOTE (Exhausted @ Jun 18 2010, 10:19 PM) *
I'm not a footie person but watched tonight and couldn't believe what I saw. An uninspired England team played with a lot of tired players who seemed to be content with 50% effort.
Got to be something to do with management.

When Italy won the world cup they were uninspiring in the first stages. Germany, France and Spain all beaten. We haven't been beaten yet.
Strafin
I hate the usual not watched all year but suddenly an expert type of comments you get after these matches. Nobody else is going to support England so we should try and be positive for a change and get behind our team. They're the only one we've got.
Biker1
Hello folks welcome to ANOTHER football thread................... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Let's see if I can turn it around............................

I wonder why people keep hitting the bollards in Bartholomew Street?

What can be done to stop this?

Do they rise under the vehicle or not?
Darren
Shouldn't the title now be changed to "Footballers coming home"?
Iommi
QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jun 19 2010, 06:34 AM) *
Hello folks welcome to ANOTHER football thread................... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Why don't you go and watch your far superior activity that deserves no scorn! angry.gif
GMR
QUOTE (Darren @ Jun 19 2010, 08:35 AM) *
Shouldn't the title now be changed to "Footballers coming home"?

Have confidence in our team... I do.
Andy

Don't read it then and especially don't put comments rolleyes.gif

QUOTE (Iommi @ Jun 19 2010, 08:54 AM) *
Why don't you piss off.

Touché laugh.gif
Bill1

Got anything worthwhile to contribute to this thread?

No?

Well shut it then!

If there's a thread I'm not interested in I just ignore it, simples.

I think we can still qualify, but last night's performance was am abysmal shambles! angry.gif
Roost
Apparently the World Cup is a lot like being married.....

You know that you should be enjoying it but there's that constant, annoying drone in the background...!

Iommi
QUOTE (Roost @ Jun 19 2010, 07:47 PM) *
Apparently the World Cup is a lot like being married..... You know that you should be enjoying it but there's that constant, annoying drone in the background...!

That'd be Biker1... tongue.gif
Newbury Expat
Win and we're in. Simple.

Actually getting the win, based on current form. Anything but.

Come on lads!
Iommi
Here's how it's done!

Australia 20-21 England
Bill1
QUOTE (Iommi @ Jun 19 2010, 09:14 PM) *
That'd be Biker1... tongue.gif

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Rachel
QUOTE (Roost @ Jun 19 2010, 07:47 PM) *
Apparently the World Cup is a lot like being married.....

You know that you should be enjoying it but there's that constant, annoying drone in the background...!

Talking of him indoors...I know nothing about football, but He says the reason England are so lacking in talent these days is because we rely on other countries to provide players for our league games & when they go to play for their country we have a very much weaker skeleton left than we did back in the day. Maybe he has a point....
Iommi
QUOTE (Rachel @ Jun 20 2010, 10:07 AM) *
Talking of him indoors...I know nothing about football, but He says the reason England are so lacking in talent these days is because we rely on other countries to provide players for our league games & when they go to play for their country we have a very much weaker skeleton left than we did back in the day. Maybe he has a point....

Possibly, but I don't see it. Many years ago, the league was heavily populated with Scottish, Welsh and Irish. I just put it down to no team having any divine right to be good.
Strafin
I don't really think that either - if our league is so good our players who are in it would still be training at the same levels as all the foreigners. Plus all of our players play in the English league. Last time Owen Hargreaves and David Beckham were the only two playing their football abroad.
GMR
I agree with the top two posts. Having foreign players in has made our players better. However, the reason why we haven’t done so well must always go down to the manager; he picks the squad, picks the formation and does the training. If all that fails then he must take a greater portion of the blame. Look at Spurs; they were struggling at the bottom of the Premiership, only two points, Redknapp came in and in his first full season we are playing European Championship football. Always look at the manager. We’ve got the players to win the World cup. Providing the manager can mould them together.... as Alf Ramsey did in 1966. As he did with Ipswich in 1962. He took them from third to 1st in a straight row.

Biker1
Charming people on here. blink.gif

Forum rule No 5b you will not post any material which is or is likely to be in any way offensive, insulting, threatening or upsetting to other users;

It was supposed to be humorous but obviously some have missed that.
Must remember - football is a serious matter to some. tongue.gif

My point was if you need to talk about football - fine.

But there are threads for that already - why not use them rather than creating new ones?

Anyway - point taken if somewhat rudely.

I promise to refrain from droning on all the football threads in future.
GMR
QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jun 20 2010, 06:53 PM) *

Forum rule No 5 ( cool.gif you will not post any material which is or is likely to be in any way offensive, insulting, threatening or upsetting to other users;

But there are threads for that already - why not use them rather than creating new ones?

I promise refrain from droning on all the football threads in future.

Hi Biker,

Just be yourself... I think some wanted something to say and they picked you to express themselves wink.gif
Iommi

Forum rule No 5b you will not post any material which is or is likely to be in any way offensive, insulting, threatening or upsetting to other users;

Which is why I posted as I did. wink.gif

We got the 'joke' the first 5,000,000 times you took the opportunity to express your opinion about the game. rolleyes.gif

Yes it is, especially under the circumstances. dry.gif

My point was if you need to talk about football - fine. But there are threads for that already - why not use them rather than creating new ones?

What difference does it make? huh.gif

Anyway - point taken if somewhat rudely. I promise to refrain from droning on all the football threads in future.

While I feel justified in replying to your incessant 'droning', I apologise for being rude. It was unfortunate timing on everyone's behalf I suspect. mellow.gif
Strafin
There are posts for all sorts of things that could go under existing headings. There is a thread for the world cup, and one for regular football. They are seperate discussions.
Newbury Expat
In the words of the legendary Bill Shankley:

Football isn't a matter of life and death, it's much more important than that.
Bill1

I promise to refrain from droning on all the football threads in future.

Thanks Biker1 and sorry if my post caused offence, it's just that those of us who do care passionately about the World Cup, but might not be that interested in which steam train is going to be in Newbury at any given time (for example), respect those that are into such things and just let them get on with it.
TallDarkAndHandsome
Who is working today and are you being allowed time off to watch the match?
I started an hour early and am working through lunch so the powers that be have agreed to let me and some of my colleagues off early.

let's face it. If you are at work and a footy fan how much work would be being done? I think the Internet may get a little busy at 3pm! laugh.gif
Roost
I'm lucky enough to have the day off but, to be honest Im considering making the most of the weather instead!

Bad I know but I do know that there will be another world cup but you never know when the British summer will be this good again!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.