Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tesco
Newbury Today Forum > Categories > Random Rants
Rose8
My son was turned away from buying Tobacco today at Tesco, Pinchington Lane as he went there with his girlfriend!!! She isnt 18 until November. He is 18 and DOES have ID. She DOESNT smoke, never has and is disgusted by it (likewise so am i, but thats not y point here). BUT because she was simply with him, they refused him !!! Like he pointed out - maybe they should change their signs to say "PERSONS BUYING TOBACCO MUST SHOW ID AND WILL ONLY BE SERVED IF THE PERSON THEY ARE WITH IS OVER 18" - so stupid. What if he had gone up with his sister - she is 8 !!! Pathetic.

Anyone know the Managers name at Tesco? I cant find it on any websites for the store.
Bill1
Thats just insane.

I take my 6 year old shopping and amongst other things buy alcohol. I would go ape if they refused to serve me it because he was with me.

I'd ring customer services there if I were you. Then ask for the Store Manager. Someone working there has either got the law totally wrong or is just inventing thier own.
Iommi
If we are to attempt to cut down on people who smoke, or stop others helping people to smoke, then measures like these are possibly necessary. I was approached by some youths outside Tesco last night asking me to buy them some 'baccy', something which I declined to do.

Having a brother die of cancer and a father-in-law who has had half a lung removed, I didn't feel happy about helping young lads to a similar fate.

If it were my son or daughter, I'd possibly be more concerned about why they wish to purchase tobacco, than worry about a place that refused to serve it.
GMR
QUOTE (Rose8 @ May 26 2009, 08:10 PM) *
My son was turned away from buying Tobacco today at Tesco, Pinchington Lane as he went there with his girlfriend!!! She isnt 18 until November. He is 18 and DOES have ID. She DOESNT smoke, never has and is disgusted by it (likewise so am i, but thats not y point here). BUT because she was simply with him, they refused him !!! Like he pointed out - maybe they should change their signs to say "PERSONS BUYING TOBACCO MUST SHOW ID AND WILL ONLY BE SERVED IF THE PERSON THEY ARE WITH IS OVER 18" - so stupid. What if he had gone up with his sister - she is 8 !!! Pathetic.

Anyone know the Managers name at Tesco? I cant find it on any websites for the store.

Because you son went to Tesco’s with his girlfriend and she looked under age they might have presumed he was as well. Under the law anybody looking under age (whether they are or not) should be turned away unless they have the appropriate ID. Many kids who look like adults have been sold tobacco and the shops concerned have bas prosecuted for it. Shops are not prepared to take the risk. My daughter is 24 – she doesn’t smoke – however, she has bought alcohol and has been asked for her ID.
Me-again
I was refused alcohol some time ago as I was with my 13 year old step daughter. I was ID'd (I am 33) and refused as they thought I was buying it for her. It was a £25 bottle of Jack Daniels!
GreenGerkin
QUOTE (GMR @ May 27 2009, 01:25 PM) *
Many kids who look like adults have been sold tobacco and the shops concerned have bas prosecuted for it. Shops are not prepared to take the risk. My daughter is 24 – she doesn’t smoke – however, she has bought alcohol and has been asked for her ID.

It was probably just the shop assistant just being over careful. It actually isnt the shop that gets prosecuted. It is the person who serves them. This is probably just a shop assistant being overly cautious, nothing to get in a stress about tbh
Andrea
It is ridiculous, I can see their point in doing so but in some instances, it's just stupid. My boyfriend (25) and myself (21) shop at tescos and spend anywhere between £50-£100 each go, one time we'd bought a bottle of wine with our food shopping and they ID'd both myself and my boyfriend. Understandable as I do look quite young, but my boyfriend definitely looks over the age of 18. I had my ID but my boyfriend didn't have his wallet with him. They nearly refused to sell the wine to us (which I was actually going to use for cooking) just because my boyfriend didn't have his ID with him. It was only after a few minutes of convincing the woman that we were both over the age of 18 and we didn't know of any 17- year olds who'd spend £100 on groceries just so they can get away with buying a bottle of wine. Plus, it was me purchasing the food in the first place!
AmieB
QUOTE (GMR @ May 27 2009, 01:25 PM) *
. Under the law anybody looking under age (whether they are or not) should be turned away unless they have the appropriate ID.

She clearly stated her son did have ID.

He had ID, proved his age and they turned him away unsure.gif I have never read a law which states you cant serve someone if their companion doesn't look old enough - nonsense! But im sure someone will correct me on this...... wink.gif
I would complain to the Manager.
GMR
QUOTE (AmieB @ May 27 2009, 04:11 PM) *
She clearly stated her son did have ID.

He had ID, proved his age and they turned him away unsure.gif I have never read a law which states you cant serve someone if their companion doesn't look old enough - nonsense! But im sure someone will correct me on this...... wink.gif
I would complain to the Manager.

OK, I misread that so I apologise. But you are right; if he has ID he should have been served. Maybe the manager thought he was going to pass it on to the child?
JeffG
QUOTE (GMR @ May 27 2009, 07:47 PM) *
Maybe the manager thought he was going to pass it on to the child?

I really don't see how that is relevant in the slightest. He could just as well have been on his own and going home to ply his 10 kids all under 18 with alcohol. How on earth is the shop responsible for that? This country is going mad.
Iommi
Well done Tesco I say... responsible trading tongue.gif
Andrea
This reminds me of a situation about a year ago of a pensioner who was refused alcohol at a supermarket because he did not have his ID on him. The supermarket was ID-ing everyone who was purchasing alcohol or tobacco. He ended up leaving empty handed, but got an apology in the end after he got BBC involved biggrin.gif
GMR
QUOTE (JeffG @ May 28 2009, 11:17 AM) *
I really don't see how that is relevant in the slightest. He could just as well have been on his own and going home to ply his 10 kids all under 18 with alcohol. How on earth is the shop responsible for that? This country is going mad.

I agree that the country is going mad.... but it has done since labour got into power.
Rose8
Sensible Tesco - concerns over my son smoking etc etc ...... knew that one would come !! Like i ENJOY my son smoking !!! I am 38 and have NEVER smoked a day in my life!! I DO NOT agree with him smoking and dont allow it in the house AT ALL - HOWEVER - he IS 18 !! He can do what he likes. I pass on my views to him but those with children know how they turn deaf when they ant to !! As for tesco being sensible, they lost a customer, obviously they can afford this then. My son DID have ID on him yes, which he did show.

My whole point is my son did ALL he should, Tesco were 'out of line' and over-cautious is one thing i could say i suppose (being polite!). He went up there to purchase something, he shouldnt have been prevented from doing this. Agree with smoking or not, really ISN'T the point of this thread. I fully intend on complaining.
Iommi
QUOTE (Rose8 @ May 28 2009, 09:06 PM) *
...My whole point is my son did ALL he should, Tesco were 'out of line' and over-cautious is one thing i could say i suppose (being polite!). He went up there to purchase something, he shouldnt have been prevented from doing this. Agree with smoking or not, really ISN'T the point of this thread. I fully intend on complaining.
Tesco can get prosecuted for selling to someone who intends to pass the tobacco on. People do this, so they have to bring in measures to protect themselves. I still maintain though, that it seems strange you are so incensed; if it were my son or daughter, I'd be celebrating that it become slightly harder for people to buy tobacco.
Rose8
Its becuase the POINT is NOT the smoking - its the failure to serve when they should have. My son gave no reason for them to think he would pass the tobacco on, his girlfriend doesnt smoke anyway. It stopped him going about his business in the way he wanted to. He went elsewhere for the tobacco, wasting fuel and time. But at least his lungs had 5 mins extra fresh eh wink.gif

It can be hard to get a point accross sometimes it really can, but most people understood where i was coming from.
GMR
I think your son should make an official complaint. I would. If he had his ID with him then he should have been sold the goods.
Good Boy Racer
The same with alcohol, i went in there a few nights ago and two guys wanted to purchase alcohol, but unfortunetly they were with two girls and they didnt have ID, so no sell. Ah well... I think its a terrible system or law. You could just leave, wait 5 minutes, come back in on your own, purchase, and your outa there with a tongue.gif

Sort it out.
Andy1
Good on the cashier.
Bill1
QUOTE (Andy1 @ Jun 23 2009, 01:33 PM) *
Good on the cashier.

Why?
Iommi
QUOTE (Bill1 @ Jun 23 2009, 03:49 PM) *
Why?

...because she was doing her job? huh.gif
Richard Head
Isn't it up to Tesco who they sell to, provided they're not breaking the law?

I might be wrong but one has no right that Tesco or any other shop to sell them something, it's the shop's choice.
Wicca
Now there's a thought, the superstores could rule the world if they only starved us into submission blink.gif
Simon
QUOTE (Iommi @ Jun 23 2009, 04:01 PM) *
...because she was doing her job? huh.gif

How was she doing her job? the boy had ID to prove he was of legal age to smoke and to buy cigerettes, it his choice to smoke so why would she not go through the the sale?

I have had issues when purchasing alcohol at Tescos, and have been ID several times even though I am 30.

I agree they need to be sure who they are selling cigerettes and alcohol to, but should use common sense too
GMR
QUOTE (Richard Head @ Jun 24 2009, 08:25 AM) *
Isn't it up to Tesco who they sell to, provided they're not breaking the law?

I might be wrong but one has no right that Tesco or any other shop to sell them something, it's the shop's choice.

It is up to any store who they sell to. However, I suppose one could challenge it in a court of law.... stores won't like bad publicity. Anyway, if they refused to serve someone they usually have good reason.
Andrea
I was actually quite surprised. I went to tescos last night and purchased alcohol and WASN'T ID'd. Think that's the first time i've not been ID'd. I don't think I look over the age of 18 (even though I'm 21).
GMR
If they don't ask and you are under age they will get done. My son works in a shop and if they are not sure they ask for ID.
Iommi
QUOTE (Simon @ Jun 24 2009, 09:59 AM) *
How was she doing her job?

Tesco have a policy to challenge anyone who appears under 21 (I believe) and to anyone who is with someone under age - who they believe could be passing the items on. This is a store policy, not the sales assistant's policy. That person, therefore is simply doing their job.

I find it surprising people find this so offensive when in this instant, in principle, they are attempting (albeit rather clumsily) to be a responsible retail outlet.
Wicca
So in theory they should refuse to sell alcohol to parents shopping with their teenage kids?
Andrea
QUOTE (Wicca @ Jun 24 2009, 12:33 PM) *
So in theory they should refuse to sell alcohol to parents shopping with their teenage kids?

Or even parents who are shopping with their infants blink.gif laugh.gif

It's absolutely ridiculous!
Iommi
QUOTE (Wicca @ Jun 24 2009, 12:33 PM) *

They reserve the right to.

QUOTE (Andrea @ Jun 24 2009, 01:03 PM) *
Or even parents who are shopping with their infants blink.gif laugh.gif It's absolutely ridiculous!

It can be, but it isn't necessarily the cashier's fault, that's the point. Perhaps the NWN could take this story up with Tesco and see what they say.
Bill1
QUOTE (Iommi @ Jun 24 2009, 03:35 PM) *
They reserve the right to.

It can be, but it isn't necessarily the cashier's fault, that's the point. Perhaps the NWN could take this story up with Tesco and see what they say.

Trouble is if they are intending to get alcohol for their 17 year old mates, and frankly Iommi which of us didn't?, they will just go to another till a little later, or another shop and leave the others waiting elsewhere.

Personally I don't remember waking up on my 18th birthday knowing that I could now sensibly handle the booze I couldn't before, but I know a line has to be drawn somewhere.

I say the age for all things like joining the armed forces, having the vote,the age of consent, buying ciggies or alcohol and seeing adult movies, should all be the same.
Iommi
QUOTE (Bill1 @ Jun 24 2009, 05:35 PM) *
Trouble is if they are intending to get alcohol for their 17 year old mates, and frankly Iommi which of us didn't?

We all took turns... until around 15 and 3/4 when I went on the Dolphin drinking training course

...they will just go to another till a little later, or another shop and leave the others waiting elsewhere.

That is true, but I think in the case of Tesco, they are covering their backs. I suspect they are simply performing due diligence. I think Tesco want to send out the message that under age drinkers and people that buy for them, is not welcome custom.

Personally I don't remember waking up on my 18th birthday knowing that I could now sensibly handle the booze I couldn't before

Presumably that didn't happen until, say, your mid forties! tongue.gif

I say the age for all things like joining the armed forces, having the vote,the age of consent, buying ciggies or alcohol and seeing adult movies, should all be the same.

If you'd have asked me back when it mattered, I'd have agreed with you. Now it don't matter! tongue.gif
Bill1
QUOTE (Iommi @ Jun 24 2009, 06:19 PM) *
Presumably that didn't happen until, say, your mid forties! tongue.gif

You should have seen me in Shepherds bush last night tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif
Bill1
QUOTE (Iommi @ Jun 24 2009, 06:19 PM) *
If you'd have asked me back when it mattered, I'd have agreed with you. Now it don't matter! tongue.gif

If my daughter 17 3/4 can be allowed to have kids, work and pay tax or go to war (God forbid on items 1(yet) & 3 (ever) )

then I think she should be allowed all other things considered "grown up".
Iommi
QUOTE (Bill1 @ Jun 24 2009, 09:35 PM) *
If my daughter 17 3/4 can be allowed to have kids, work and pay tax or go to war (God forbid on items 1(yet) & 3 (ever) ) then I think she should be allowed all other things considered "grown up".

She is, she's just not allowed to buy it. tongue.gif At the end of the day, the main sponsor of policies like these is due to underage alcohol abuse. It is a situation that is getting worse if we are to believe the TV.
GMR
QUOTE (Bill1 @ Jun 24 2009, 09:35 PM) *
If my daughter 17 3/4 can be allowed to have kids, work and pay tax or go to war (God forbid on items 1(yet) & 3 (ever) )

then I think she should be allowed all other things considered "grown up".

The government want to lower the voting age so if they regard them capable to make such a decision then, yes, I concur with you.
Iommi
QUOTE (GMR @ Jun 24 2009, 11:56 PM) *
The government want to lower the voting age so if they regard them capable to make such a decision then, yes, I concur with you.

So suddenly the Government are the voice of reason and common sense are they GMR? Half the 'fun' of youth is cheating 'the system'. It's what makes us unique when young, it's what gives us anarchy! tongue.gif
Bill1
QUOTE (Iommi @ Jun 25 2009, 01:13 AM) *
So suddenly the Government are the voice of reason and common sense are they GMR? Half the 'fun' of youth is cheating 'the system'. It's what makes us unique when young, it's what gives us anarchy! tongue.gif

So on the old forum it was the Government who called themselves Voice Of Reason! wink.gif
GMR
QUOTE (Iommi @ Jun 25 2009, 01:13 AM) *

You seem to have a problem understanding what I say. No I don't think the government is a voice of reason, I don't also believe they should drop the voting age, however, and going by what the previous writer said, my point was they can't allow kids to do some things and then dismiss others.

When you are so determined to try to have a go back you can actually miss the point of what was said. Concentrate on the debate and forget about me. Eventually it will come all right in the end my friend.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.