Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Chuff Chuff Alert!
Newbury Today Forum > Categories > Newbury News
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Torchy
Forget the proposed Shed in the Park - this is real engineering (although not quite up to Swindon Works standards):

BR(S) Merchant Navy Class 4-6-2 no 35028 Clan Line is scheduled to take on water at Newbury Racecourse Station at 10.45am Saturday 21st November. It leaves for Bristol at 11.13am.

35028 Clan Line

Don't forget to stand on the bridge as it leaves for the full heady aroma of hot oil, steam and smoke!
Blake
I wonder what sort of CO2 footprint those old trains have and if the owners offset it?
Hugh Saskin
QUOTE (Torchy @ Nov 13 2009, 01:53 PM) *
Forget the proposed Shed in the Park - this is real engineering (although not quite up to Swindon Works standards):

BR(S) Merchant Navy Class 4-6-2 no 35028 Clan Line is scheduled to take on water at Newbury Racecourse Station at 10.45am Saturday 21st November. It leaves for Bristol at 11.13am.

35028 Clan Line

Don't forget to stand on the bridge as it leaves for the full heady aroma of hot oil, steam and smoke!

Thanks very much for the tip - Eastleigh's finest?
Andy1
QUOTE (Blake @ Nov 13 2009, 03:23 PM) *
I wonder what sort of CO2 footprint those old trains have and if the owners offset it?

mellow.gif
HJD

rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif
Hugh Saskin

Don't know, don't care.....
Blake
You mean you do not care about the destruction of the planet... too many selfish people thinking like this and its not going to stop climate change.
Iommi
QUOTE (Blake @ Nov 13 2009, 04:42 PM) *
You mean you do not care about the destruction of the planet... too many selfish people thinking like this and its not going to stop climate change.

Nor will stopping all the steam trains from running either. Their carbon foot print (CFP) will be minuscule in the grand scheme of things.
Torchy

Probably a lot greener than a fleet of Toyota Pious*, and I'll bet they won't last 61 years like this Steam Engine.

What is the plural of pious?
Blake
Every little helps...in destroying the planet.
Iommi
QUOTE (Blake @ Nov 13 2009, 05:22 PM) *
Every little helps...in destroying the planet.

You could always do your bit and switch your computer off. tongue.gif
Strafin
Believing in climate change is like believing in Santa. And even if it was real then the beauty of a steam train would be well worth it.
user23
QUOTE (Strafin @ Nov 13 2009, 05:28 PM) *
Believing in climate change is like believing in Santa. And even if it was real then the beauty of a steam train would be well worth it.
Global Warming must be real, there are ads on the TV telling us so.

It's not like we see ads on the TV with Santa in, is it? dry.gif
Iommi
QUOTE (user23 @ Nov 13 2009, 06:02 PM) *
Global Warming must be real, there are ads on the TV telling us so. It's not like we see ads on the TV with Santa in, is it? dry.gif

laugh.gif Yes, Christmas doesn't start until the Coke-a-Cola Santa advert! tongue.gif
lordtup
It is amazing that a simple event like a steam engine gracing our local station should arouse passions beyond those of pure aesthetics .

If the running of a single engine cuts short the life expectancy of the planet by ten minutes then so be it .

I suspect the proliferation of Asian power stations may be a little more culpable .

sad.gif
Biker1

What a ridiculous thing to say!

You could say that about anything that produces CO2 for pleasure then?

Such as fleets of coaches taking fans to football matches or Formula 1 racing.

Do we stop all the pleasures that we have that produce CO2 for the sake of slowing down global warming? (If it does)
I wonder how much CO2 a diesel Inter City train produces at 125mph with a 2000hp engine at each end?

I will be there to see Clan Line in all her glory and long may she continue to run along with the other great steam locos of the past.

(By the way, on the booking forms of a great many of the steam hauled specials there is a voluntary "Carbon Offset" contribution that clients can make when booking.)
Exhausted
QUOTE (Biker1 @ Nov 14 2009, 11:13 AM) *
I will be there to see Clan Line in all her glory and long may she continue to run along with the other great steam locos of the past.

(By the way, on the booking forms of a great many of the steam hauled specials there is a voluntary "Carbon Offset" contribution that clients can make when booking.)

Did I miss it or was it cancelled because the engine owner realised that Blake was right.
Hugh Saskin
QUOTE (Exhausted @ Nov 14 2009, 06:36 PM) *
Did I miss it or was it cancelled because the engine owner realised that Blake was right.

No - you were a week early....
lordtup
Has anyone ever analysed why grown men ( and some women too ) go all sentimental over these leviathans of the track .

I remember as a child standing on the station and getting completely enveloped in smoke from the train "now standing" and being quite frightened , but I love to see them as much as the next man .

It is something more than an appreciation of engineering or even the vast power generated , it is as if our very soul is somehow encapsulated within the boiler . wink.gif

Biker1
QUOTE (lordtup @ Nov 14 2009, 09:21 PM) *
Has anyone ever analysed why grown men ( and some women too ) go all sentimental over these leviathans of the track .

I remember as a child standing on the station and getting completely enveloped in smoke from the train "now standing" and being quite frightened , but I love to see them as much as the next man .

It is something more than an appreciation of engineering or even the vast power generated , it is as if our very soul is somehow encapsulated within the boiler . wink.gif

Have a look at this and it may explain why.

Clan Line at Newbury
Iommi
A steam train seems to be alive; an iron horse!
Biker1
Wasn't she magnificent?

A sight for sore eyes!
Bill1
Saw it from Boundary Road bridge. Tremendous.
Biker1
Saturday 13 February 2010

SR Battle of Britain Class 4-6-2 No. 34067 "Tangmere"

Scheduled at Newbury 11:18 to 11:50 to take water.

Also calling at Newbury on the return scheduled at 18:17
Biker1
Sunday 14 February 2010

LNER A1 Class 4-6-2 No. 60163 "Tornado"

Scheduled at Newbury 11:36 to 11:50 to take water.
Good Boy Racer
I don't believe in Global Warming... No such thing. Though i do believe in Natural events caused by Natural Events.

...Natural Events!
Iommi
QUOTE (Good Boy Racer @ Feb 1 2010, 10:51 AM) *
I don't believe in Global Warming... No such thing. Though i do believe in Natural events caused by Natural Events.

...Natural Events!

blink.gif
Bill1

...Natural Events!

QUOTE (Iommi @ Feb 1 2010, 11:03 AM) *
blink.gif

Sorry GBR? huh.gif
JeffG
QUOTE (Bill1 @ Feb 1 2010, 11:32 AM) *
Sorry GBR? huh.gif

Methinks the lad hath flipped smile.gif
Andrea

...Natural Events!

I understand that! laugh.gif
user23
QUOTE (Andrea @ Feb 1 2010, 12:40 PM) *
Perhaps he's Canadian too? wink.gif
Biker1
I was only posting the times of steam hauled trains at Newbury.

I didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition!! wink.gif
Good Boy Racer
QUOTE (Andrea @ Feb 1 2010, 12:40 PM) *

I'm so glad someone understands my language. No i'm not canadian, just a normal British Lad. Brought up in a loving safe community... Newbury. Sorry did i just say safe?

Anyways, Global Warming is a man made thing, a way to make money. So i will stand by what i say and say it again... Natural Events!
Iommi
QUOTE (Good Boy Racer @ Feb 2 2010, 09:53 AM) *
Anyways, Global Warming is a man made thing, a way to make money. So i will stand by what i say and say it again... Natural Events!

I'd give, what ever your taking, up, if I were you! wink.gif What has this got to do a steam train time table?
Good Boy Racer
QUOTE (Iommi @ Feb 2 2010, 10:12 AM) *
I'd give, what ever your taking, up, if I were you! wink.gif What has this got to do a steam train time table?

Global Warming, Natural Events wink.gif
Iommi
QUOTE (Good Boy Racer @ Feb 2 2010, 10:57 AM) *
Global Warming, Natural Events wink.gif

Er...yes, but what has this got to do with trains? blink.gif
Bill1
laugh.gif
JeffG
What's funny, Bill? What does this have to do with trains?
Bill1
QUOTE (JeffG @ Feb 2 2010, 02:07 PM) *
What's funny, Bill? What does this have to do with trains?

Sorry for any misunderstanding Jeff, but what I find funny is GBR's inability to get his point accross.

Hence mine and a few others amusement/bemusement.

I couldn't agree with you more about GBRs comments having nothing to do with this thread, unless his comments are so worldly wise that they have gone completely over my (and others) head.

Hope that clears this up.
JeffG
QUOTE (Bill1 @ Feb 2 2010, 02:35 PM) *
Hope that clears this up.

My turn: laugh.gif

And I think Canada came into it somewhere ?!?
Iommi
I'm also wondering where GBR might have got his PhD in climatology, but I digress.
Torchy
Fancy a little more nostalgia? Here is a superb colour film with a great 60s soundtrack.

London's Termini in the Swinging 60s

Lots of steam & smoke, Deltics and a Pullman leaving Paddington. And I quite forgot how we used to open the carriage doors 200 yards before the train came to a halt. A railway system owned by the nation and run by real railwaymen. Happy days!
Biker1
QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jan 31 2010, 09:37 PM) *
Saturday 13 February 2010

SR Battle of Britain Class 4-6-2 No. 34067 "Tangmere"

Scheduled at Newbury 11:18 to 11:50 to take water.

Also calling at Newbury on the return scheduled at 18:17

Change of locomotive on this one - is now :-

LNER A4 Class 4-6-2 no 60019 Bittern
Hugh Saskin
QUOTE (Biker1 @ Feb 7 2010, 10:08 AM) *
Change of locomotive on this one - is now :-

LNER A4 Class 4-6-2 no 60019 Bittern

Thanks - presumbly water will be taken at Newbury Racecourse station?
Biker1
QUOTE (Hugh Saskin @ Feb 7 2010, 04:16 PM) *
Thanks - presumbly water will be taken at Newbury Racecourse station?

No - scheduled for Newbury Town station.
Wildone
Hi can anyone confirm if either of these trains will be stopping at the racecourse? The last steam train that came through Newbury stopped at the racecourse for water, it was a really good atmosphere and my son loved it. I just want to make sure that we don't miss it. Cheers
Torchy
Both trains are stopping at Newbury Station instead of the Racecourse Station for water.

More information (including timings at our other local stations) can be found here (Saturday) and here (Sunday)
Wildone
QUOTE (Torchy @ Feb 11 2010, 10:29 AM) *
Both trains are stopping at Newbury Station instead of the Racecourse Station for water.

More information (including timings at our other local stations) can be found here (Saturday) and here (Sunday)

Brilliant! This is really useful, thank you.
JeffG
Puttin on my trainspotter's hat, those timetables look a bit dodgy with some times that don't make sense. For example the return on Saturday has
CODE
Bedwyn 18.02
Newbury 18.58
Newbury a. 18.17 d. 18:19
Theale a. 18.41

The Sunday one has
CODE
Reading d. 11.09
Theale 18.58
Newbury a. 11.36

Odd that 18.58 appears twice and is wrong. How much can we trust the rest of it?
Strafin
Just curious, how do you know it's wrong?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.