Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Chuff Chuff Alert!
Newbury Today Forum > Categories > Newbury News
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Biker1
QUOTE (Exhausted @ Mar 12 2015, 09:17 PM) *
Looks like the new/replacement 125's are landed from Japan. These are the ones we will see on the western route through Newbury. Diesel and Electric

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-31831603

I am lead to believe that some HST's will remain - for the West of England services.
On the edge
QUOTE (Biker1 @ Mar 13 2015, 09:05 AM) *
I am lead to believe that some HST's will remain - for the West of England services.

To be honest, I can't say I'm sad about that. The HSTs are good examples of first rate UK design and engineering.
Biker1
QUOTE (On the edge @ Mar 13 2015, 06:50 PM) *
To be honest, I can't say I'm sad about that. The HSTs are good examples of first rate UK design and engineering.

Yep, Agreed.
Pity they had to use German engines when they re-furbished them though. sad.gif
Biker1
Steam at Newbury next Wednesday 1 April.
LNER B1 Class 4-6-0 no 61306 Mayflower.
I think at present in apple green BR livery (Maybe first time for a B1 at Newbury)
Water at Newbury Racecourse 09:33 - 09:49. Will be through Newbury shortly after.
Returns at 21:57.
Biker1
Here's a nice shot.
(For those who may enjoy seeing that sort of thing!)
Turin Machine
QUOTE (Biker1 @ Aug 11 2015, 09:02 AM) *
Here's a nice shot.
(For those who may enjoy seeing that sort of thing!)

Lovely! Thanks for that. As a side issue, why have the eco warriors not moaned about pollution from steam engines? Seems like a good target just going to waste!! Still, reminded me of holidays down to Paignton as a child! Ah, those blue remembered hills!
Biker1
QUOTE (Turin Machine @ Aug 11 2015, 10:45 AM) *
Lovely! Thanks for that. As a side issue, why have the eco warriors not moaned about pollution from steam engines? Seems like a good target just going to waste!!

I think a few have but I would imagine they are so few and far between that it's not worth worrying about.
You do have the option of paying a "carbon offset" contribution when booking a steam hauled excursion.
Biker1
Anyone see Flying Scotsman pass through yesterday?

Fine sight. I was at Kintbury.
Simon Kirby
QUOTE (Biker1 @ May 22 2016, 09:04 AM) *
Anyone see Flying Scotsman pass through yesterday?

Fine sight. I was at Kintbury.

Can you clarify for me please: is Flying Scotsman an engine or a service?
On the edge
QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ May 22 2016, 10:54 AM) *

It's both!

The 10am service from Kings Cross to Edinburgh was called the Flying Scotsman and that actually appeared on the platform indicator boards.

The engine, being cutting edge technology of the day, was also called the Flying Scotsman. The engines of that class were used on the premier express services of the day, London / Scotland. Doubtless so named for publicity purposes!

I'm sure Biker wouldn't agree it was the most powerful or the fastest or even the best...that latter accolade must go to the old Southern Railway engines cool.gif
Biker1
QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ May 22 2016, 10:54 AM) *

Flying Scotsman is a LOCOMOTIVE. Link
The Flying Scotsman is (was) a service (train) from Kings Cross to Edinburgh. Link

With regard to OTE's comments, The A1 class (later A3), of which Flying Scotsman was a member, were one of the fastest and best of their time but were superseded by later, more modern designs which were faster still.
I have heard said by many that Flying Scotsman was not the best performer of the A3's by far, but lives on due to the romanticism of it's name and being the first steam locomotive to travel at an authenticated 100mph. (This is commemorated by the plaque on the nameplate as in the picture.)
Andy Capp
Thanks for the bloody reminder!!!
Biker1
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ May 22 2016, 10:18 PM) *
Thanks for the bloody reminder!!!

Eh? unsure.gif
On the edge
There is something people from West Berkshire would find difficult to understand with regard to the 10am Flying Scotsman service from Kings Cross. Traditionally, that was seen off by the Station Master, suited and in a top hat. Surely, even if the role no longer exists, there ought to be a 'ceremonial' station master? I feel a stiff letter to RailTrack would be in order.
Cognosco
QUOTE (On the edge @ May 23 2016, 09:15 AM) *
There is something people from West Berkshire would find difficult to understand with regard to the 10am Flying Scotsman service from Kings Cross. Traditionally, that was seen off by the Station Master, suited and in a top hat. Surely, even if the role no longer exists, there ought to be a 'ceremonial' station master? I feel a stiff letter to RailTrack would be in order.

But would it have required the station master to have a whole new outfit.......just to keep up tradition of course? cool.gif
On the edge
QUOTE (Cognosco @ May 23 2016, 04:01 PM) *
But would it have required the station master to have a whole new outfit.......just to keep up tradition of course? cool.gif

...but of course!

Just another point, does anyone know if the fur in the robes is real or ersatz? Bit much to expect the LibDems who claim to be agin the fur trade to have to wear this stuff isn't it? I'd love it to be ersatz; even more fakery to the whole sorry spectacle.
Simon Kirby
QUOTE (On the edge @ May 23 2016, 09:15 AM) *

smile.gif
Biker1
Flying Scotsman through Newbury again tomorrow.
Not allowed to give you times though as it is a closely guarded secret due to trespassing!

By the way OTE Railtrack was defunct many years ago.
You now need to express your concerns to Network Rail.
Good luck with that!
spartacus
QUOTE (Biker1 @ May 27 2016, 08:51 AM) *
Not allowed to give you times though as it is a closely guarded secret due to trespassing!

But if you happen to be at the Racecourse around 1007 you may catch a glimpse while it has a wee drink... wink.gif
Biker1
QUOTE (spartacus @ May 27 2016, 11:50 AM) *
But if you happen to be at the Racecourse around 1007 you may catch a glimpse while it has a wee drink... wink.gif

wink.gif
On the edge
QUOTE (Biker1 @ May 27 2016, 08:51 AM) *

By the way OTE Railtrack was defunct many years ago.
You now need to express your concerns to Network Rail.
Good luck with that!

I'm really surprised Biker! Good heavens, if Local Government ran the railways, Railtrack would certainly still exist, as a ceremonial body, which would then have meant the ceremonial would have seen off the train tongue.gif

I wandered down to the Racecourse Station this morning as it came in. Quite amazing, lots of people and kids about plus a fair few hi vis jacketed people politely keeping watch. Some jackets marked up Great Western. Dare I say they were doing a pretty good job and in the old parlance 'a credit to the service'. Of course, GW could have made a few bob charging a little for an old style platform ticket, if only to cover costs. They didn't; which was actually quite a nice touch by a big private company.
Biker1
I have heard a rumour, bear in mind RUMOUR! that the new Hitachi train is to visit Newbury on Wednesday of this week.
If I hear more I will let you know.
On the edge
QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jul 4 2016, 08:19 AM) *
I have heard a rumour, bear in mind RUMOUR! that the new Hitachi train is to visit Newbury on Wednesday of this week.
If I hear more I will let you know.

Do hope you are right; a little sanity in a mad World!
Biker1
Nope, sorry, false alarm.
Better luck next time.
Biker1
Steam today at around 11:45.
BR(S) Light Pacific 4-6-2 no 34046 Braunton
(running as 34052 Lord Dowding)

EDIT. Well that was a disappointment!
Must have been a last minute failure.
I think I'll stop posting forthcoming schedules on here. Not reliable enough! dry.gif

On the edge
QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jul 15 2016, 08:27 AM) *
Steam today at around 11:45.
BR(S) Light Pacific 4-6-2 no 34046 Braunton
(running as 34052 Lord Dowding)

It's really good that these are still around to show the GWR affectionados what a truly superb steam locomotive is like.

.........quickly gets coat and leaves cool.gif
Biker1
For any one who hasn't seen one yet or who may be remotely interested here is yer new train coming to these parts!
SirWilliam
QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jul 15 2017, 08:29 AM) *
For any one who hasn't seen one yet or who may be remotely interested here is yer new train coming to these parts!

Impressive beast, but has the capacity increased, the punctuality improved and the ticket price reflective of operating costs as opposed to share holder's dividends ?

Dreaming is not a sin, least not yet. wink.gif
On the edge
Let's just hope it's attractiveness to paying passengers is better than the recently completed 'upgraded' Reading Station.
Biker1
QUOTE (SirWilliam @ Jul 15 2017, 08:59 AM) *
Impressive beast, but has the capacity increased,

Yes.
the punctuality improved

Probably not....we'll see!
and the ticket price reflective of operating costs as opposed to share holder's dividends ?

Unlikely.
If ticket prices reflected the true operating costs they would be higher as the TOC's receive substantial subsidies from the government.
A good percentage of the operating costs of the railway is with the infrastructure which is Network Rail.
Effectively nationalised!
Biker1
QUOTE (On the edge @ Jul 15 2017, 01:30 PM) *
Let's just hope it's attractiveness to paying passengers is better than the recently completed 'upgraded' Reading Station.

Hmmmmm............
No buffet, smaller windows, a throbbing engine under each coach and many will run as 5 car sets coupled together.
Makes 10 I think!
Oh and they are no faster than the HST's but will have greater acceleration when under the wires which will go as far as Newbury.
This leaves a lot of diesel power onwards to Plymouth and Penzance!
Dirty diesels eh Andy? tongue.gif
Andy Capp
Biker1, have you seen the disaster documentary about the Ladbroke Grove accident? There was segment discussing the idea that the diesel tank was ignited by the live overhead electricity cables?
On the edge
QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jul 15 2017, 05:19 PM) *
Yes.

Probably not....we'll see!

Unlikely.
If ticket prices reflected the true operating costs they would be higher as the TOC's receive substantial subsidies from the government.
A good percentage of the operating costs of the railway is with the infrastructure which is Network Rail.
Effectively nationalised!

Well, essentially monopolised.

The state (or the people) don't make anything or get anything from 'Network Rail'. The only people who do are financiers and senior executives; much the easiest way of making money. Probably one of the most incompetent organisations the country has ever seen. We've had railways for some 200 years now, we 'invented' them and yet Network Rail can't even manage what is really quite a straightforward electrification job; on budget or to time!

The trouble is, competence costs, and with no one that matters complaining, why should Network Rail change?
Biker1
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jul 16 2017, 10:32 AM) *
Biker1, have you seen the disaster documentary about the Ladbroke Grove accident? There was segment discussing the idea that the diesel tank was ignited by the live overhead electricity cables?

Oooeerr!
These things are an "accident waiting to happen" then? ohmy.gif
(God I hate that cliché.)
Andy Capp
QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jul 17 2017, 12:04 PM) *
Oooeerr!
These things are an "accident waiting to happen" then? ohmy.gif
(God I hate that cliché.)

The tank was crushed and burst, atomising the diesel, then was ignited by the electricity lines. sad.gif
On the edge
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jul 17 2017, 06:49 PM) *
The tank was crushed and burst, atomised the diesel, then was ignited by the electricity lines. sad.gif

Oh dear, today's announcements seem to suggest that this problem will remain with us. Still, every cloud and all that, can't be long before HS2 is simply just a bad dream.
Andy Capp
QUOTE (On the edge @ Jul 20 2017, 07:45 PM) *
Oh dear, today's announcements seem to suggest that this problem will remain with us. Still, every cloud and all that, can't be long before HS2 is simply just a bad dream.

A part of the problem is having 'dual fuel' trains.
Biker1
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jul 21 2017, 09:16 AM) *
A part of the problem is having 'dual fuel' trains.

Caused by us not being able to fully electrify or not being able to do it quickly enough!
On the edge
QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jul 21 2017, 09:26 AM) *
Caused by us not being able to fully electrify or not being able to do it quickly enough!

Yep; and a sad reflection on our national skills and capability! Post Brexit; what hope?
blackdog
QUOTE (On the edge @ Jul 21 2017, 09:32 AM) *
Yep; and a sad reflection on our national skills and capability! Post Brexit; what hope?

Post Brexit it is all hope. There is nothing else to base it on.
Andy Capp
QUOTE (On the edge @ Jul 21 2017, 09:32 AM) *

This was in-place before Brexit, so with the anticipated lack of inward investment, I see things being even more unlikely.
Andy Capp
Meanwhile, Reading station continues to provide hours of confusion!
Biker1
The government has now back-tracked (sorry about pun) on many major electrification schemes since first being planned 5 years ago.
For example, the line from Cardiff to Swansea previously announced will now not be electrified.
The answer?
Bi-mode trains!! biggrin.gif
Link
On the edge
QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jul 22 2017, 08:48 AM) *
The government has now back-tracked (sorry about pun) on many major electrification schemes since first being planned 5 years ago.
For example, the line from Cardiff to Swansea previously announced will now not be electrified.
The answer?
Bi-mode trains!! biggrin.gif
Link

The only real surprise is that stopping HS2 wasn't made in the same announcement. If we are brutally honest, its not the Government, or its investment policy at fault here, its simply gross incompetence by the railway managements who don't seem able to manage what is really a straightforward civil engineering task. Its not even ground breaking technology or unexplored ground conditions. Yet, time and time again, the estimates and project plans just don't work; by a vast difference. Ironic that during the big depression in the 1930's the old Southern Railway company managed a massive electrification programme; on time and to budget. The difference? We employed properly trained engineers and built our own trains. Demonstrably, we've lost these skills.
On the edge
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jul 21 2017, 09:24 PM) *
Meanwhile, Reading station continues to provide hours of confusion!

In many respects the previous station was actually better. Whatever the advertising spin says, this effort has all the charm of a 1970's concrete bus station. It really takes a special kind of genius to spend a massive amount of money to make things worse.
SirWilliam
QUOTE (On the edge @ Jul 24 2017, 10:30 AM) *
The only real surprise is that stopping HS2 wasn't made in the same announcement. If we are brutally honest, its not the Government, or its investment policy at fault here, its simply gross incompetence by the railway managements who don't seem able to manage what is really a straightforward civil engineering task. Its not even ground breaking technology or unexplored ground conditions. Yet, time and time again, the estimates and project plans just don't work; by a vast difference. Ironic that during the big depression in the 1930's the old Southern Railway company managed a massive electrification programme; on time and to budget. The difference? We employed properly trained engineers and built our own trains. Demonstrably, we've lost these skills.

Unfortunately this affliction applies to most of what we do . Our education system has concentrated on rewarding the pen pusher as opposed to the pen maker. Maybe a bit of chicken or egg equation but if we don't encourage and reward those who can make/model/manipulate according to the present environment we will continue to struggle.
One of the principle benefits of leaving the EU was that entrepreneurial skills in manufacturing would return but as those in charge seem either reluctant, or simply blind, to encouraging such ventures which means we may well rue the day we stopped encouraging kids to get hands on with car engines etc.
On the edge
QUOTE (SirWilliam @ Jul 24 2017, 07:20 PM) *
Unfortunately this affliction applies to most of what we do . Our education system has concentrated on rewarding the pen pusher as opposed to the pen maker. Maybe a bit of chicken or egg equation but if we don't encourage and reward those who can make/model/manipulate according to the present environment we will continue to struggle.
One of the principle benefits of leaving the EU was that entrepreneurial skills in manufacturing would return but as those in charge seem either reluctant, or simply blind, to encouraging such ventures which means we may well rue the day we stopped encouraging kids to get hands on with car engines etc.

I must admit, I wholly agree with your comment about leaving the EU. Ironically, my only real doubt about leaving was our ability to stand on our own once we had left. Sadly, since then, from what I can deduce, it seems we really have lost the entrepreneurial and managerial skills to do this. Whilst educational failures and globalisation plays a part, we have simply let the high end strategic and design roles disappear to Europe. This is probably why children aren't encouraged to get their hands dirty - they'll never need to. The only jobs we'll have here are low grade service type tasks, where close supervision rather than good management is needed.
blackdog
QUOTE (SirWilliam @ Jul 24 2017, 07:20 PM) *

Why on earth should leaving the EU make the slightest difference to entrepeneurial skills?
On the edge
QUOTE (blackdog @ Jul 25 2017, 12:56 AM) *
Why on earth should leaving the EU make the slightest difference to entrepeneurial skills?

Yes, quite right; in strictly logical terms it makes no difference. Forty years of being suckered by Germany and France have essentially ripped out such skills as we had. Our lead business people are interested only in making a quick buck, then clearing out as quickly as possible; the UK definition of 'market forces'. The founders of Europe played a much longer game and why they essentially control our strategic industries. We no longer own, so no longer control our basic utilities, airports, railways, energy etc. Similarly, much food processing and manufacture is in continental hands. We have no mass national car brand etc.etc.etc. This won't be corrected by leaving the EU or indeed by staying in. However if we come out, the future is very bleak; simply a subservient cheap labour provider. Staying in, much the same, but like the Greeks, at least we'll be thrown a few crusts.
Biker1
QUOTE (On the edge @ Jul 24 2017, 08:20 PM) *
I must admit, I wholly agree with your comment about leaving the EU. Ironically, my only real doubt about leaving was our ability to stand on our own once we had left. Sadly, since then, from what I can deduce, it seems we really have lost the entrepreneurial and managerial skills to do this. Whilst educational failures and globalisation plays a part, we have simply let the high end strategic and design roles disappear to Europe. This is probably why children aren't encouraged to get their hands dirty - they'll never need to. The only jobs we'll have here are low grade service type tasks, where close supervision rather than good management is needed.

Maybe that's why most European countries still manufacture their own trains but we have to import ours from Japan!?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2020 Invision Power Services, Inc.