Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Chuff Chuff Alert!
Newbury Today Forum > Categories > Newbury News
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Biker1
Here's what she looked like yesterday at Kintbury. I was on the platform (but not the one filming!).
(You have to wait until 1.15 before the action, and a pity about the diesel stuck on the back!)
On the edge
At the risk of being lynched in GWR country - I think the Southern Bullied pacifics were the finest steam engines ever made.
On the edge
At the risk of being lynched in GWR country - I think the Southern Bullied pacifics were the finest steam engines ever made. Innovative and imaginative design.
Ron
QUOTE (On the edge @ Oct 25 2012, 10:51 PM) *
At the risk of being lynched in GWR country - I think the Southern Bullied pacifics were the finest steam engines ever made. Innovative and imaginative design.

The Stanier Pacifics were. And that's from a part owner of a GWR modified Hall.
Biker1
QUOTE (On the edge @ Oct 25 2012, 10:51 PM) *

We agree OTE. Marvellous machines both spam cam and rebuild.
I remember going with my Dad to Worting Junction near Basingstoke and seeing them thundering past. What memories!
Never saw a spam can "Navy" though, I'm not that old!!
Clan Line is 65 years old and certainly not "clapped out"! wink.gif
Ron
QUOTE (Biker1 @ Oct 26 2012, 09:09 AM) *
We agree OTE. Marvellous machines both spam cam and rebuild.
I remember going with my Dad to Worting Junction near Basingstoke and seeing them thundering past. What memories!
Never saw a spam can "Navy" though, I'm not that old!!
Clan Line is 65 years old and certainly not "clapped out"! wink.gif

Not quite true. She under went a major overhaul that was completed, I think, in about 2006? So 65 years old is a bit missleading.
On the edge

Suppose that's true for most of the restored steam trains. Must say its pretty amazing what the people who keep them going achieve as we don't have the extensive heavy engineering facilities around these days. In pure day to day operability terms Stanier engines probably couldn't be beaten - the ongoing heritage from Swindon's Mr C. Nevertheless, in terms of sheer exuberance, and excitement - the Bullied stuff has it every time. Having a few years on Biker1 I can remember the Merchant Navy class and saw the Golden Arrow a few times from an Aunt's garden - worth being naughty to be sent out there!

That he managed to build them in the War was also astonishing - but someone did suggest that the design owed a fair amount to managing scarce materials during that period. If that's so, its real engineering, making something out of nothing.

This isn't a complaint, simply a wish. Tornado was a fantastic achievement; made me proud to be British, even though American friends thought the whole idea was bizarre, but typical UK. Anyway, wonder what a 'Leader' would be like with say oil firing and today's metals technology?
Biker1
QUOTE (Ron @ Oct 26 2012, 05:22 PM) *
Not quite true. She under went a major overhaul that was completed, I think, in about 2006? So 65 years old is a bit missleading.

Well if you are being picky then I suppose she was completely rebuilt in 1959 so how much of the original is still running around?
You could say the same about vintage / veteran cars. How much of them is the original parts?
But you still say the are XX years old from their original build date.
Penelope
QUOTE (Biker1 @ Oct 27 2012, 11:11 AM) *
Well if you are being picky then I suppose she was completely rebuilt in 1959 so how much of the original is still running around?
You could say the same about vintage / veteran cars. How much of them is the original parts?
But you still say the are XX years old from their original build date.

I'm still using my Dad's old garden rake, it's had two new handles and a new head, but it's still my Dad's old rake.
NORTHENDER
Last Sunday a steam train was run through the London underground as a test run for next years 150th anniversary of the tube. The run was done a 4 am on the old Metropolitan line I think. Anyone know the exact date of the next run?
On the edge
QUOTE (NORTHENDER @ Dec 17 2012, 09:22 PM) *
Last Sunday a steam train was run through the London underground as a test run for next years 150th anniversary of the tube. The run was done a 4 am on the old Metropolitan line I think. Anyone know the exact date of the next run?

Only the British would ever think of doing something like this! Brilliant. (This is NOT a wind up by the way)
Penelope
QUOTE (On the edge @ Dec 17 2012, 09:28 PM) *
Only the British would ever think of doing something like this! Brilliant. (This is NOT a wind up by the way)

Hope to god there's some footage of that.
NORTHENDER
I hope there is too. It started out as a steam system but but was not much of a success for obvious reasons. I listened to the footage on radio 4 early Sunday morning so I think it must have been filmed. Been trying to find it on utube without success.
blackdog
QUOTE (NORTHENDER @ Dec 17 2012, 09:48 PM) *
I hope there is too. It started out as a steam system but but was not much of a success for obvious reasons. I listened to the footage on radio 4 early Sunday morning so I think it must have been filmed. Been trying to find it on utube without success.

Not great but: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-20759707
NORTHENDER
Thanks for the link BD.
Biker1
Three steam excursions planned from Newbury next year so far :-

9 March
23 March
26 March
On the edge
QUOTE (blackdog @ Dec 17 2012, 10:12 PM) *

Great find!. It would be very interesting even to stand on the platforms, particularly if they could get the lighting back to original levels. Anyway, nice news for a change!
Biker1
And remember folks - the whole of the London Underground is a no-smoking zone!! laugh.gif
On the edge
laugh.gif
NORTHENDER
Tiss a 150 a ticket if you want one.
NORTHENDER
The steam trains are running all day on the 13th but I do not think there will be any photo opportunities so will not be going.
Biker1
Not exactly a "chuff chuff alert" but those who travel or commute to Reading or London by train may be interested in this programme ............................

The Railway: Keeping Britain on Track

Next Tuesday's episode of BBC 2's The Railway at 9pm will focus on Reading Station and the capacity issues faced by the commuter route into and out of Paddington.
Biker1
2 steam on Saturday!!

Biker1
Again, not exactly a chuff chuff alert but thought it the most appropriate thread...........................
Considering some of the debates that have taken place on the subject on this forum, some of you may be interested in this! biggrin.gif
JeffG
Wow! Something on Channel 5 that's worth watching!
JeffG
Bad behaviour at Newbury Racecourse features on the Channel 5 Great Western programme at 8 o'clock tonight.
Biker1
Long time since we had a post in this one!
Thought some of you may enjoy seeing this.
(That's me on the platform!! cool.gif)
On the edge
Very good Biker. Even the decent old style coaches, not even I could moan about that!
Biker1
The sight is even more spectacular when you look at the pictures here!
On the edge
Yes, it's quite incredible, they end up looking better than they did originally, though I only saw them working in the last steam years, when cleaning and maintenance wasn't at its best.
dannyboy
QUOTE (On the edge @ Apr 21 2014, 10:39 AM) *
Yes, it's quite incredible, they end up looking better than they did originally, though I only saw them working in the last steam years, when cleaning and maintenance wasn't at its best.

Surely not before they were flogged off to the private sector!!!
On the edge
QUOTE (dannyboy @ Apr 21 2014, 10:45 AM) *
Surely not before they were flogged off to the private sector!!!

I think you might have forgotten that they were built and originally operated by the private sector....
dannyboy
QUOTE (On the edge @ Apr 21 2014, 11:02 AM) *
I think you might have forgotten that they were built and originally operated by the private sector....

And the romans built our roads......

....but back on track, err yes railways built by monoplies who exploited slave labour......something to be proud of........
MontyPython
QUOTE (dannyboy @ Apr 21 2014, 03:47 PM) *
And the romans built our roads......

....but back on track, err yes railways built by monoplies who exploited slave labour......something to be proud of........

Your lack of knowledge excels as usual.

The railways were built be separate companies - the big 5 monopolies followed later!
dannyboy
QUOTE (MontyPython @ Apr 21 2014, 04:16 PM) *
Your lack of knowledge excels as usual.

The railways were built be separate companies - the big 5 monopolies followed later!

Yes, thank you but I think I'm fully up to speed re the history of the railways in this country.

They may well have been separate companies but once the rights had been granted to a route, all other rail company's were barred to that route or had to pay ridiculous overrunning charges.

the local MSWJ a case in point.
Andy Capp
It kept the Irish employed; hence the various family names we have in Newbury.
On the edge
QUOTE (dannyboy @ Apr 21 2014, 04:37 PM) *
Yes, thank you but I think I'm fully up to speed re the history of the railways in this country.

They may well have been separate companies but once the rights had been granted to a route, all other rail company's were barred to that route or had to pay ridiculous overrunning charges.

the local MSWJ a case in point.

...or not as the LBSC found out at Havant.

Biker1
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Apr 21 2014, 07:04 PM) *
It kept the Irish employed; hence the various family names we have in Newbury.

As did the canals before them.
One of the worst things about it all is that so much of their sacrifices and endeavors were unrespected and destroyed by closing many routes that would now be priceless in alleviating congestion and delays.
The fruits of their labour were not preserved in case they were needed in the future, they were destroyed for ever.
The prime example of this being the Great Central. A continental loading guage, high speed route from London to the Midlands and the North, closed by Beeching as superfluous to requirements and now we propose HS2!!
On the edge
QUOTE (Biker1 @ Apr 22 2014, 08:38 AM) *
One of the worst things about it all is that so much of their sacrifices and endeavors were unrespected and destroyed by closing many routes that would now be priceless in alleviating congestion and delays.
The fruits of their labour were not preserved in case they were needed in the future, they were destroyed for ever.
The prime example of this being the Great Central. A continental loading guage, high speed route from London to the Midlands and the North, closed by Beeching as superfluous to requirements and now we propose HS2!!

Quite agree, didn't they actually start digging the channel tunnel as part of Watkins s 'Great Central' vision?
Andy Capp
QUOTE (Biker1 @ Apr 22 2014, 08:38 AM) *

This is a problem when you have short term goals to achieve, that and getting a glorified bean counter in to manage the changes.
Claude
Random question but does anyone know a decent local rural location where I could get a photograph of a car and a train in the same shot?
NWNREADER
QUOTE (Claude @ Apr 23 2014, 03:16 PM) *
Random question but does anyone know a decent local rural location where I could get a photograph of a car and a train in the same shot?

Most Level Crossings, according to the Daily Wail.....
Biker1
QUOTE (Claude @ Apr 23 2014, 03:16 PM) *

A good spot is Crofton, just past the Pumping Station the road crosses the railway and then runs alongside it as it drops towards the Canal.
Claude
QUOTE (Biker1 @ Apr 24 2014, 09:21 AM) *
A good spot is Crofton, just past the Pumping Station the road crosses the railway and then runs alongside it as it drops towards the Canal.

Google maps tells me this is a superb location, thanks!
Biker1
Steam at Newbury on Monday 25th Aug.
Tornado - arrives at 08:50, picks up and takes water. Back at around 19:30
Turin Machine
Ta.
Andy Capp
It's a pity they have to take on water at the racecourse. It'd be nice to see the trains run straight through once and a while.
Biker1
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Aug 20 2014, 12:04 AM) *
It's a pity they have to take on water at the racecourse. It'd be nice to see the trains run straight through once and a while.

Yes, this one will take water at Newbury Station as it picks up passengers.
JeffG
Although going tomorrow (Friday) trains are as normal, coming back from a trip up north by train on Saturday, there is a replacement bus service from Reading to Newbury. Does anyone know the reason for this?

I have also seen signs that the Boundary Road bridge is closed. Are the two things connected?
Biker1
QUOTE (JeffG @ Oct 30 2014, 02:07 PM) *
Although going tomorrow (Friday) trains are as normal, coming back from a trip up north by train on Saturday, there is a replacement bus service from Reading to Newbury. Does anyone know the reason for this?

Yes, the line has to be closed for maintenance / upgrade work.
QUOTE (JeffG @ Oct 30 2014, 02:07 PM) *
I have also seen signs that the Boundary Road bridge is closed. Are the two things connected?

Don't know, but I will try and find out.
I know the bridge has to be replaced for electrification
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2020 Invision Power Services, Inc.