Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Chuff Chuff Alert!
Newbury Today Forum > Categories > Newbury News
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Nothing Much
Interesting snap of the girl pushing a wall with her trolley.
Did she get rid of the grumpy child?

Funny how films and the internet change some things. My son does odd things like
photographing brickwork,paving stones. The wall at Kings Cross caught my eye.
Too clean for a purist I have since been told. It needs smut.

At the moment he is recreating the old North London Line & the "Poppy line" (Norfolk).
He goes into great detail with things as mundane as telephone poles.
He plans a visit to York to study original details of such things as couplings.

He was a 3d graphics designer for corporate jollies.
That seemed to stop at the buffers some years ago.

Nice to see the new train and to hear that work is ongoing on the next.
ce
booboo
There she steams ( racecourse watering hole ).
Nothing Much
My old chum was a railway enthusiast.
The widow has no idea what is stored in the attic. I know there is a signal .
He went on trains to Mongolia for fun. Some of his snaps are great.
ce
Biker1
QUOTE (Exhausted @ Jul 20 2012, 10:11 PM) *
Not very complicated, the Britannia came though Newbury the week after the cancellation. Just a comment as I was a bit surprised to see it.

The Tangmere link just details the full timetable which shows a stop at the racecourse for water before moving on to Newbury station. Thought the link to the site was fairly clear as in fact as far as I could see, you didn't post a link, just said that it would be at Newbury and missed the racecourse bit. Sorry if you thought I was stealing your thunder.

Sorry again exhausted, Britannia did not come through this week. (That's what was confusing me.)
Clan Line came through on Wednesday though on the VSOE!
On the edge
QUOTE (Nothing Much @ Jul 21 2012, 04:32 PM) *
My old chum was a railway enthusiast.
The widow has no idea what is stored in the attic. I know there is a signal .
He went on trains to Mongolia for fun. Some of his snaps are great.
ce

I hope it isn't the one that they has failed on the Central line most morinings? If it is can you sneak it back?
Exhausted
Excellent picture booboo. Bit less crowded around the engine than last time it came to Newbury.

Sorry about the confusion, You are right Biker it was Clan Line that came through not Britannia.
Exhausted
QUOTE (Nothing Much @ Jul 21 2012, 01:34 PM) *
The wall at Kings Cross caught my eye.
Too clean for a purist I have since been told. It needs smut.

Perhaps you might like to nail a copy of 'Fifty Shades of Grey' on the wall. That should resolve the lack of smut.
NORTHENDER
QUOTE (Nothing Much @ Jul 21 2012, 01:34 PM) *
Interesting snap of the girl pushing a wall with her trolley Shrimper.
Did she get rid of the grumpy child?
ce

Who is Shrimper? tongue.gif
Nothing Much
OOOOOPs ce
NORTHENDER
Tiss all but a game Nothing Much, all but a game wink.gif
Nothing Much
Too right Northender,. There is not much I can hide. Anymore.
I was born into the Mespot.Most of the folk I knew are dead or in homes.
If anyone has a spare moment .
cje49 youtube.

I am the chap in the white shorts.
ce
Baffers100
I went to see this, I find these old beasts fascinating to watch.

There was one old sod shouting at a few rambling old souls in the middle of the train track, "people like you are going to get these events stopped." At first I scowled at this gobby chap, and then I saw who he was shouting at. Indeed, a few senseless individuals decided to take a leisurely walk over the trainlines to photograph the steam train. This shows total abandon of common sense. A train is not going to stop for an old bugger with his point and shoot, so can we keep to the designated and safe areas to stand?
Biker1
QUOTE (Baffers100 @ Jul 26 2012, 02:24 PM) *
I went to see this, I find these old beasts fascinating to watch.

There was one old sod shouting at a few rambling old souls in the middle of the train track, "people like you are going to get these events stopped." At first I scowled at this gobby chap, and then I saw who he was shouting at. Indeed, a few senseless individuals decided to take a leisurely walk over the trainlines to photograph the steam train. This shows total abandon of common sense. A train is not going to stop for an old bugger with his point and shoot, so can we keep to the designated and safe areas to stand?

I expect many of you have seen this but it serves as a reminder to those daft people who will risk anything to get that "best shot".
And yes, when someone is killed doing it that will be then end of steam on the railways.
Ron
QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jul 26 2012, 07:08 PM) *
I expect many of you have seen this but it serves as a reminder to those daft people who will risk anything to get that "best shot".
And yes, when someone is killed doing it that will be then end of steam on the railways.

There has been an unfortunate number of deaths on the preserved railways this year. The Light Railway Authority/H&SE are becoming ever more strict and this is producing a whole raft of new proceedures to be followed.
Director 7903 Ltd.
Biker1
Steam this evening - Newbury at 18:23 (booked time).
LNER A4 Class 4-6-2 no 60019 Bittern [4464]

Also same loco Wednesday 15th August Newbury at 11:54 - 12:07 (Booked time water stop).
Return at 21:01
Exhausted
Oliver Cromwell went west through Newbury this morning. Shiny shiny and looking wonderful in the sunshine.
Penelope
QUOTE (Exhausted @ Aug 18 2012, 02:36 PM) *
Oliver Cromwell went west through Newbury this morning. Shiny shiny and looking wonderful in the sunshine.

Heard it.
Squelchy
Yeah, but he's been here before....(27 October 1644) I do believe.
Biker1
QUOTE (Exhausted @ Aug 18 2012, 02:36 PM) *

Yes, sorry I omitted to notify of that one.

Funny thing is, on the way back it was signalled into the through line at Newbury so passengers wanting to alight could not.
It was then stopped at Newbury Racecourse station so that they could get off there instead!! biggrin.gif
NORTHENDER
Different sort of chuff chuff, nice though. I was at RAF Benson last week at a family day and these rolled in. Hot oil, steam, coal, the smells the same, great.

On the edge
We used to have a steam fair - would be great to see that come back.
Nothing Much
I went with a group to a fair on Hungerford Common.
The cross my palm with silver lady said I would marry someone.
TallDark She left out the handsome bit,,, I did meet one, but she offed it to the family business in Hong Kong.
Jardine Matheson. So I was happy with the next, short blonde and a pretty girl, for the next 35 years.

Back to the leviathons. There is a 2 day steam fair in Weeting ,Norfolk.
I have never been but many park up outside The Ram Pub which has a huge forecourt carpark.
A great sight. I am sure it is just to take on water!!!
ce
Simon Kirby
Not a chuff chuff as such, but the Crofton Beam Engines are hosting a steam gala on the 29-30 September. New for this year is some vintage ploughing. I'll try and post some more details.

Also not a chuff chuff, but I saw a lovely diesel (Northern Belle I think) go through Crofton yesterday afternoon. The carriages looked fantastic with the tables set for dinner.
NORTHENDER
Any steam enthusiasts that has a couple of days to spare could do no better than attend the 40s weekend on the Sherringham-Holt railway this coming 15th 16th Sept. Always a great weekend that can invoke lots of memories.

http://www.nnrailway.co.uk/page.php?pid=7
Biker1
QUOTE (NORTHENDER @ Sep 1 2012, 10:16 AM) *
Any steam enthusiasts that has a couple of days to spare could do no better than attend the 40s weekend on the Sherringham-Holt railway this coming 15th 16th Sept. Always a great weekend that can invoke lots of memories.

http://www.nnrailway.co.uk/page.php?pid=7

Yes, I've never been to that railway but would like to do so.
Bit of a long way for a day trip unfortunately.
Nothing Much
It is a terrific line.After many years they managed to link up with Sheringham halt again.Mainline.
so they are able to get "Guest" trains on their lines. The long term plan is to restore an orbital network.
A few gaps will be difficult to fill.. roads etc., All the landowners are behind the idea. It just takes hard work.

The village of Weybourne used to be the end of the line,(by coincidence John Major's retreat)They managed to move it on to the next town Holt where you could get a horse drawn charabank into town and the nearest pub.That doesn't seem to run or canter anymore.

There was something in the local paper about why it became known as "The poppy line" but I have forgotten.
ce
NORTHENDER
Three of the four that were on duty at the 40s weekend.

Exhausted
A steam train through Newbury this Saturday 29th Sept. At the racecourse for water at 9:45 then on to the Newbury station at 10:15, departing at 10:27. Headed by either Tangmere or Britannia Oliver Cromwell.

Returns to Paddington through Newbury, scheduled for 21:11 with a four minute stop.
Biker1
One on Sunday as well!
Not sure of times yet but will post when I have them but should be hauled by "Tornado".
EDIT : Is Tornado and scheduled to pass Newbury at 10:23.
Scheduled to return pass Newbury at 21:25
Exhausted
QUOTE (Exhausted @ Sep 26 2012, 07:12 PM) *
A steam train through Newbury this Saturday 29th Sept. At the racecourse for water at 9:45 then on to the Newbury station at 10:15, departing at 10:27. Headed by either Tangmere or Britannia Oliver Cromwell.

It was Tangmere and spot on time. Didn't look as if the train was fully booked though.
On the edge
QUOTE (Exhausted @ Sep 29 2012, 12:55 PM) *
It was Tangmere and spot on time. Didn't look as if the train was fully booked though.

Thanks for the info everyone.

Saw it earlier down the line - had forgotten how fast those things can move. What a sight - took me back too many years!
Biker1
QUOTE (On the edge @ Sep 29 2012, 04:53 PM) *
Thanks for the info everyone.

Saw it earlier down the line - had forgotten how fast those things can move. What a sight - took me back too many years!

Perhaps FGW can be persuaded to invest eh!? wink.gif
Ron
QUOTE (On the edge @ Sep 29 2012, 04:53 PM) *
- had forgotten how fast those things can move. What a sight - took me back too many years!

But it knocks all sorts of s**t out of the engine running it on the main lines. We restored 7903 to main line standard but refrained from running it on the main line. She runs on the G&WR and has one year approx left on her boiler ticket, and has run that period with the minimum of problems and is the favourite loco of the drivers. On the main line she would have had to had a pretty major overhaul by now, something a private group could never afford.
On the edge
QUOTE (Biker1 @ Sep 30 2012, 09:31 AM) *
Perhaps FGW can be persuaded to invest eh!? wink.gif

If they did I'd never say a bad word about them again and even buy shares...! wink.gif
On the edge
QUOTE (Ron @ Sep 30 2012, 10:37 AM) *
But it knocks all sorts of s**t out of the engine running it on the main lines. We restored 7903 to main line standard but refrained from running it on the main line. She runs on the G&WR and has one year approx left on her boiler ticket, and has run that period with the minimum of problems and is the favourite loco of the drivers. On the main line she would have had to had a pretty major overhaul by now, something a private group could never afford.

Suppose it always did, the LNER speed merchants amply demonstrated that in the 1930s! Can well understand why there are so few full speed events, or indeed long hauls. Good to know you are keeping them going.
Biker1
QUOTE (Biker1 @ Sep 27 2012, 05:54 PM) *
One on Sunday as well!
Not sure of times yet but will post when I have them but should be hauled by "Tornado".
EDIT : Is Tornado and scheduled to pass Newbury at 10:23.
Scheduled to return pass Newbury at 21:25

There she goes! for anyone who missed it and is interested.
Exhausted
QUOTE (Biker1 @ Oct 1 2012, 11:08 AM) *
There she goes! for anyone who missed it and is interested.

Excellent movie, they don't make them like they used to......Oh, wait a minute.........
Exhausted
QUOTE (On the edge @ Sep 30 2012, 07:23 PM) *
Suppose it always did, the LNER speed merchants amply demonstrated that in the 1930s! Can well understand why there are so few full speed events, or indeed long hauls. Good to know you are keeping them going.

There is a main line speed limit on preserved steam engines, the big uns with the large driving wheels, 75mph. Tornado was designed for 90-100 mph and if the man on the plate (not the driver) decide that the road is good, will allow 80mph or possibly a bit more for 20 miles max. The maximum permitted speed for the old Mk 1 coaches is however 90mph.

Theoretically, Tornado could haul main line at 100mph with the correct coaches but it's unlikely as the engine owners might not want to stress their iron horse too much.
On the edge
QUOTE (Exhausted @ Oct 1 2012, 05:37 PM) *
There is a main line speed limit on preserved steam engines, the big uns with the large driving wheels, 75mph. Tornado was designed for 90-100 mph and if the man on the plate (not the driver) decide that the road is good, will allow 80mph or possibly a bit more for 20 miles max. The maximum permitted speed for the old Mk 1 coaches is however 90mph.

Theoretically, Tornado could haul main line at 100mph with the correct coaches but it's unlikely as the engine owners might not want to stress their iron horse too much.

Sounds good to me - I would be quite happy in the Dining Car with an old style railway menu, 1st class of course!
Simon Kirby
QUOTE (On the edge @ Oct 1 2012, 07:29 PM) *
Sounds good to me - I would be quite happy in the Dining Car with an old style railway menu, 1st class of course!

Absolutely!
Biker1
QUOTE (Exhausted @ Oct 1 2012, 05:37 PM) *
The maximum permitted speed for the old Mk 1 coaches is however 90mph.

All Mk1's now running on the main line are on either commonwealth or B4 bogies and are passed for 100mph.
JeffG
Just seen a synonym for gricer: ferroequinologist. I like it! smile.gif
Biker1
QUOTE (JeffG @ Oct 2 2012, 10:31 AM) *
Just seen a synonym for gricer: ferroequinologist. I like it! smile.gif

Never heard of that one before!
I will use it.
Sounds better than trainspotter (which, by the way, I am not) anyway!! wink.gif
JeffG
From the Latin (obviously) - ferro- iron equus - horse then the -ologist bit (which is Greek, so a bit of a mixup).

To be a purist, it should be siderohippologist (I had to look up the sidero- = iron bit tongue.gif). Then it's all Greek to you and me.

My original source.
Penelope
QUOTE (JeffG @ Oct 2 2012, 04:19 PM) *
From the Latin (obviously) - ferro- iron equus - horse then the -ologist bit (which is Greek, so a bit of a mixup).

To be a purist, it should be siderohippologist (I had to look up the sidero- = iron bit tongue.gif). Then it's all Greek to you and me.

My original source.

http://www.anorak.co.uk/

may I suggest a subscription may be in order?
dannyboy
From the Latin (obviously) - then the ....bit which is Greek, so a bit of a mixup.

A bit like Television then.
JeffG
QUOTE (Penelope @ Oct 2 2012, 04:57 PM) *
http://www.anorak.co.uk/

may I suggest a subscription may be in order?

Very good. But how long has knowing a language (even as a distant memory) been an anorakable offence? Maybe that's the problem with the school curriculum these days - too much emphasis on media studies and the like. wink.gif
Penelope
QUOTE (JeffG @ Oct 2 2012, 08:07 PM) *
Very good. But how long has knowing a language (even as a distant memory) been an anorakable offence? Maybe that's the problem with the school curriculum these days - too much emphasis on media studies and the like. wink.gif

It was meant in a sense of jocularity. And you did spend some time on it, still never mind. At least I still know how to smile.
JeffG
OK SOH rebooted. smile.gif
Biker1
Steam this coming
Wednesday 24 October 2012

BR(S) Merchant Navy Class 4-6-2 no 35028 "Clan Line" on the VSOE.

Newbury Racecourse 11:00 - 11:20 taking water.

Not returning this way this time though.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2020 Invision Power Services, Inc.