Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Chuff Chuff Alert!
Newbury Today Forum > Categories > Newbury News
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Richard Garvie
I thought that. That one past a few weeks ago Andy, unless the post is a typo.
Biker1
QUOTE (JeffG @ Nov 6 2011, 03:39 PM) *
I chanced upon this ePetition to re-open the Didcot, Newbury and Southampton railway with minor route changes where necessary. Thought railway people might be interested, though I can't see it ever happening, especially since one of the "minor route changes" is the Newbury bypass!

Now I might be seen to be a little negative here but........
NOT A CHANCE IN HĚLL! sad.gif
Biker1
QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Nov 7 2011, 10:06 AM) *
I thought that. That one past a few weeks ago Andy, unless the post is a typo.

Yep, you missed it Andy.
It was a great sight!!
Biker1

Saturday 10 March 2012

LNER A1 Class 4-6-2 no 60163 Tornado

TIMES at Newbury

Arrive 09:29
Depart 09:49

Return 21:41
user23
Reasonable crowd there today.

I guess quite a few like to see a chuff chuff on a Saturday morning.
Andy Capp
It is disappointing that they have to stop for water or whatever, it'd be good to see they go through Newbury at full chat! I think the sight of these puffing billies is quite evocative.
user23
Surely you'd only need to drive a couple of miles either side of Newbury to see this?
Andy Capp
QUOTE (user23 @ Mar 10 2012, 10:48 AM) *
Surely you'd only need to drive a couple of miles either side of Newbury to see this?

The problem is, I was only born yesterday and didn't think of that! rolleyes.gif
Biker1
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Mar 10 2012, 12:04 PM) *
The problem is, I was only born yesterday and didn't think of that! rolleyes.gif

Kintbury is very good when they are working away from London.
They are ususally working hard and picking up speed.
Ron
QUOTE (Biker1 @ Mar 10 2012, 12:01 PM) *
Kintbury is very good when they are working away from London.
They are ususally working hard and picking up speed.

So is the Froxfield area by the canal. Can not show you a steamer traveling at main line speed, but go to the Gloucester & Warwickshire Railway and see them travel and have a ride on one at the maximum speed allowed by the Light Railway Order - abot 30 mph if I remeber correctly. Ours, 7903, is running out of Cheltenham at present.
user23
Is there a website where you can find out when you can see a bit of chuff chuff in Newbury?
Biker1
QUOTE (user23 @ Mar 14 2012, 11:13 PM) *
Is there a website where you can find out when you can see a bit of chuff chuff in Newbury?

Link - Use the menu on the right.
(Presume you mean steam trains?? wink.gif )
Penelope
QUOTE (Biker1 @ Mar 14 2012, 10:24 PM) *
Link - Use the menu on the right.
(Presume you mean steam trains?? wink.gif )

Or the labour manifesto, both comprise mainly of hot air.
Adrian Hollister
QUOTE (Penelope @ Mar 14 2012, 10:44 PM) *
Or the labour manifesto, both comprise mainly of hot air.

Yawn (again).

There are a few pictures out there from Kintbury - here is one of them http://www.railwayherald.com/imagingcentre/view/224928/PL
Biker1
QUOTE (Adrian Hollister @ Mar 18 2012, 10:31 AM) *
There are a few pictures out there from Kintbury - here is one of them http://www.railwayherald.com/imagingcentre/view/224928/PL

Great shots.
(And taken without trespassing on the line and putting oneself in great danger as many were doing at Newbury that day.)
Grumpy
2 steam trains in Newbury this morning, they passed each other by the Sterling Cable tower just after 11.00am.

Anybody know what they were?
NORTHENDER
My grandson said it was Thomas and Bash tongue.gif
John C
QUOTE (Grumpy @ Apr 11 2012, 12:22 PM) *
2 steam trains in Newbury this morning, they passed each other by the Sterling Cable tower just after 11.00am.

Clan Line was due to take on water at Racecourse between 1103 - 1120 on its way to Bristol and on its return Journey take on water at Theale between 1838 - 1908
I don't know what the other one was though.
Biker1
QUOTE (Grumpy @ Apr 11 2012, 12:22 PM) *

There was only one.

Ex SR pacific 35028 "Clan Line" on the VSOE.
Came back through in the evening on the return journey at about 18:15.
Grumpy
QUOTE (Biker1 @ Apr 12 2012, 08:25 AM) *
There was only one.

Ex SR pacific 35028 "Clan Line" on the VSOE.
Came back through in the evening on the return journey at about 18:15.

Nope, there were 2.

The easbound train was Brittania with just one carriage.
Biker1
QUOTE (Grumpy @ Apr 12 2012, 08:44 AM) *
Nope, there were 2.

The easbound train was Brittania with just one carriage.

Oh thanks, I stand corrected.
Didn't realise that light engine move. rolleyes.gif
Grumpy
QUOTE (Biker1 @ Apr 12 2012, 08:53 AM) *
Oh thanks, I stand corrected.
Didn't realise that light engine move. rolleyes.gif

There is a picture of it passing through Hungerford on page 10 of this weeks NWN
Biker1
QUOTE (Grumpy @ Apr 12 2012, 09:17 AM) *
There is a picture of it passing through Hungerford on page 10 of this weeks NWN

Did they call it "The"Britannia?
The non-rail media usually make some sort of howler! biggrin.gif
John C
QUOTE (Biker1 @ Apr 12 2012, 09:28 AM) *
Did they call it "The"Britannia?
The non-rail media usually make some sort of howler! biggrin.gif

No http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BR_standard_c...70000_Britannia
OldNewburian
QUOTE (John C @ Apr 12 2012, 10:07 AM) *

70000: Bishops Lydeard WSR-Southall
NORTHENDER
Couple for the chuffer lovers. Took these at a 40s weekend at Holt station in Norfolk.
For any old wrinklies on here that can remember that far back the weekend is a must.

Nothing Much
Nice detail NORTHENDER. Oliver Cromwell was used last year between Dereham and Wymondham.
ce
Exhausted
QUOTE (Nothing Much @ Apr 14 2012, 11:10 AM) *
Nice detail NORTHENDER. Oliver Cromwell was used last year between Dereham and Wymondham.
ce

92203 is Black Prince, saved from the scrapheap by the artist David Shepherd.
Oliver Cromwell is a Britannia class, running number 70013. That engine's claim to fame being that it was one of those pulling the last BR steam excursion prior to the switch to diesel
Nothing Much
Thanks Exhausted. I am never too proud to be corrected.
Still it is a fine looking engine.

I promised I wouldn't digress or ramble. BUT a neighbour was involved
in University courses and their use over the world.
He used the time off to travel some amazing routes in China, India.
ce
NORTHENDER
Not very good picture but you can just see the name.

Same day.

A favorite picture of mine showing the wood off well.

Exhausted
The interesting thing about LNER coaching stock was that the early coaches were real wood and varnished but even when full metal coaches were introduced, they were painted to look like varnished wood and realistic they were to. I suspect the coaches in the picture were the teak effect but I'm not a rivet counter so I leave that question to the experts.
Nothing Much
Cracking woodwork
It is strange how some of these relics end up back on the line.
After being a bungalow for 50 years.
ce.
Sherlock
Just posting this so I can receive emails from this thread. As you were.
dannyboy
If you like locomotive etc then it might be worth popping up to Donnington & D&N on saturday. They are selling the Salem collection of locomotive models. 18 items in total such as -

The finest exhibition quality 7 inch gauge model of the Sir William Stanier London Midland and Scottish Railway 'Pacific' 4-6-2 LMS Locomotive and Tender No 6230 'Duchess of Buccleuch', an accurate replication of the original engine in every detail and was built according to the drawings of Crewe and took ten years and over 18,000 hours to build the model, it was built by the famous model engineer Mr Harry Powell of Crewe and his brother Norman,the paintwork and lettering by Louis Raper,
this magnificent model is fitted with a fully brazed and riveted superheated copper boiler with Belpaire firebox and all normal fittings including safety valves, regulator, blower, whistle, brake, injector and blowdown valves, incorporating full external detailing and smoke deflectors, fine scale cab fittings include wheel reverse gear, lever operated sliding firedoors, draincocks and ejector levers, three pressure gauges, twin water sight gauges, mahogany planked floor with steel panel and scale checker-plate, a wealth of classic fittings.
Chassis with twin outside cylinders fitted with Walschearts valve gear and two inside cylinders, scale twin ratchet lubricators, brass lubrication boxes, draincocks, sanding gear, working steam brakes, leaf springs and beautifully finished wheels, fluted motion, exceptional external detailing, smoke deflector plates,these were later fitted to all of the class. Tender details includes 4000 gallon Type II plaque,handbrake, water pick-up control, steam-driven mechanical coal pusher with cylinder guides and lifting eyes. The model finished in LMS maroon with yellow and black lining.
Length 113" Cab Width 13 '

The Stanier 'Duchess Class' designated 7P operated throughout Great Britain and were ostensibly Princess Cornation Class Locomotives which were nicknamed "Duchesses" and many of both of the combined classes carried streamlining in the pre-and-immediately post-war period. They hauled the heaviest express trains from Euston through to Scotland including 'The Royal Scot' and earlier 'Coronation' services. One of the class was sent to the USA for the World Fair of 1939 in its streamlined form. All the class were withdrawn in 1965 and three remain in preservation.

* Sir William Stanier FRS. Chief Mechanical Engineer of the LMS at the company Crewe works.

* Harry Powell worked all his life at Crewe locomotive works, he was a Master Coppersmith and chief of the copper-shop at Crewe.

This locomotive was delivered to Jack Salem in Switzerland by Harry Powell and Louis Raper. On arrival Harry Powell said to Jack Salem "Well you wanted the finest piece that has ever been built and here it is".
Biker1
QUOTE (Exhausted @ Apr 15 2012, 03:56 PM) *
The interesting thing about LNER coaching stock was that the early coaches were real wood and varnished but even when full metal coaches were introduced, they were painted to look like varnished wood and realistic they were to. I suspect the coaches in the picture were the teak effect but I'm not a rivet counter so I leave that question to the experts.

This is the LNER "Quad Art" set (Quad Articulated) which runs as a set of four coaches and is articulated with only 1 bogie between coaches.

The Duchesses were so called because many were named after duchesses of the realm.
Small point, they did not run throughout Great Britain but were confined mainly to the express routes out of Euston. Mainly the Scottish Expresses.
Andy Capp
Biker1 might like this if he hasn't seen it already. A fascinating web page with a video if the Newbury to Didcot Railway: http://www.hampsteadnorreys.org.uk/History...ay_History.html.
Grumpy
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Apr 30 2012, 12:10 AM) *
Biker1 might like this if he hasn't seen it already. A fascinating web page with a video if the Newbury to Didcot Railway: http://www.hampsteadnorreys.org.uk/History...ay_History.html.

That is an excellent bit of footage, which I discovered via another website http://www.newbury.net/forum/m-1326994555/s-all/ that discussed the revival of the Didcot, Newbury & Southampton Railway.

I have a keen interest in the old railway lines and would like to see the local ones reopen. However I realise that this will never happen because many of the bridges have been demolished, and in many instances the trackbed has been utilised for other purposes.
Biker1
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Apr 30 2012, 12:10 AM) *

Brilliant!
Thanks Andy.
I think I was born a few years too late!
(P.S. Note the spelling of "Hampstead Norreys" on the station running in board. Anyone know why this was?)
Dodgys smarter brother.
QUOTE (Biker1 @ Apr 30 2012, 08:55 PM) *
(P.S. Note the spelling of "Hampstead Norreys" on the station running in board. Anyone know why this was?)

Replies No's 21 and 22
Biker1
QUOTE (Dodgys smarter brother. @ Apr 30 2012, 09:34 PM) *

Thanks.
Biker1
Thursday 12 July BR Pacific No. 70000 "Britannia" on its way to Salisbury.
Times later, but I think it will be about 11:15
NORTHENDER
Waiting for my train at King's Cross at the weekend this came chuffing in. Tornado, last, and newest to be built.

Biker1
QUOTE (NORTHENDER @ Jul 6 2012, 09:18 AM) *
Waiting for my train at King's Cross at the weekend this came chuffing in. Tornado, last, and newest to be built.

She may not hold that title for long. There are others in the pipeline.
Here for example.
NORTHENDER
Lets hope they meet their goal. The more I see about the better. While at King's Cross I was amazed at the length of the queue for people to have a photo pushing the luggage trolley through the wall to platform 9 3/4.

Biker1
Thursday 12 July 2012

BR Britannia Class 7MT 4-6-2 no 70000 "Britannia".

Sorry folks I was completely wrong in my estimation of times for this one in my earlier post! wacko.gif

Times are Newbury 13:20 - 13:30.

Edit: - Sorry folks it got cancelled at the last minute. sad.gif
Biker1
Saturday 21 July 2012

SR "Battle of Britain" class Light Pacific 4-6-2 no 34067 Tangmere

TIMES:- Newbury 10:22
return 21:11
Exhausted
QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jul 8 2012, 06:11 PM) *
Thursday 12 July 2012

BR Britannia Class 7MT 4-6-2 no 70000 "Britannia".

Sorry folks I was completely wrong in my estimation of times for this one in my earlier post! wacko.gif

Times are Newbury 13:20 - 13:30.

Edit: - Sorry folks it got cancelled at the last minute. sad.gif

Actually came through on Tuesday or Wednesday this week.

Tangmere
? http://www.uksteam.info/tours/t12/t0721d.htm
Biker1
QUOTE (Exhausted @ Jul 19 2012, 08:48 PM) *

Tangmere

Sorry Exhausted, don't understand the gist of your post.
The link you have posted is for the train on Saturday which I have just posted today. Post#146
Exhausted
QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jul 19 2012, 10:05 PM) *
The link you have posted is for the train on Saturday which I have just posted today. Post#146

Not very complicated, the Britannia came though Newbury the week after the cancellation. Just a comment as I was a bit surprised to see it.

The Tangmere link just details the full timetable which shows a stop at the racecourse for water before moving on to Newbury station. Thought the link to the site was fairly clear as in fact as far as I could see, you didn't post a link, just said that it would be at Newbury and missed the racecourse bit. Sorry if you thought I was stealing your thunder.
John C
QUOTE (Exhausted @ Jul 19 2012, 08:48 PM) *

Tangmere

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jul 19 2012, 10:05 PM) *

QUOTE (Exhausted @ Jul 20 2012, 10:11 PM) *
Not very complicated, the Britannia came though Newbury the week after the cancellation. Just a comment as I was a bit surprised to see it.

The Tangmere link just details the full timetable which shows a stop at the racecourse for water before moving on to Newbury station. Thought the link to the site was fairly clear as in fact as far as I could see, you didn't post a link, just said that it would be at Newbury and missed the racecourse bit. Sorry if you thought I was stealing your thunder.

Heard steam train go through this morning
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2020 Invision Power Services, Inc.