Full Version: Do black lives matter?
Newbury Today Forum > Categories > Random Rants
Pages: 1, 2, 3
TallDarkAndHandsome
Yes. They do.

SirWilliam
QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Jun 6 2020, 06:38 PM) *
Yes. They do.

In a Country, (USA), that has an annual murder rate of over 15,000, to get hysterical over one incident, however heinous, seems completely irrational to me. I understand their frustration over having an administration that "appears" to be racially bias but adopting a scorched earth policy in order to bring change is hardly the most sensible thinking. Maybe their collective anger should be taken to the Democrats front door so their voice can count at the polls in November?
If this incident had been a black officer and a white suspect it wouldn't have made 2 column inches in the local rag but the scenario would have been exactly the same.
Now we have thousands congregating in mass protest in this Country, which is probably the most liberal on the planet, and putting the Covid 19 battle back weeks. If, as I understand it, ethnic groups are at an increased risk from this virus why are they putting themselves and their families in harms way? If people can't see the broader picture then we may as well throw the towel in now and embrace mass extinction number 6, or possibly 7. angry.gif
Biker1
If black lives matter then why do many die in, say Africa, every day from starvation and disease?
Mostly children??
Mr Brown
QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jun 8 2020, 05:03 AM) *
If black lives matter then why do many die in, say Africa, every day from starvation and disease?
Mostly children??

Quite so.

Yes, it doesn't matter who you are, there is something very wrong with American policing and which is vile. It's this that needs sorting.

TallDarkAndHandsome
QUOTE (Mr Brown @ Jun 8 2020, 07:43 AM) *
Quite so.

Yes, it doesn't matter who you are, there is something very wrong with American policing and which is vile. It's this that needs sorting.

Not quite sure this is the answer though?

https://mobile.twitter.com/ACLUMN/status/1269738051498106880

Community policing? Who can afford the "right" protection?
This will not end up well.
SirWilliam
QUOTE (Mr Brown @ Jun 8 2020, 07:43 AM) *
Quite so.

It may be an over simplification by someone who is viewing from a few thousand miles away but are the american police not responding to the criminal wave in front of them? I agree it abhorrent to our eyes but if you or your family had been subjected to a vicious crime would you not demand a tough preventative stance? Now it is agreed that the chap who triggered this public outpouring of rage did no more than use a dud banknote but we are missing the point in that if we didn't have criminals we wouldn't need police. So assuming that is a purely theoretical scenario how else do you control a country that arms it's citizens without any thought to the consequences?
Yes the usa is a racially bigoted place run by a bloke who who would make the skin creep on a black mamba but he will not be around for ever, yet previous, and probably subsequent, administrations have yet to address this issue.
But, and as always it is a big but, this is another country and in that respect no worse than china/north korea /venezuela et alia. Which begs the question "Why is it ok to use brutality to control persons of the same skin tone but not of differing colour?" I am not naive enough not to recognise a completely racist motive but tearing down a statue of Edward Colston is hardly going to eradicate that mindset, especially when I very much doubt most americans,or brits for that sake, have heard of him.

The sooner we stop using the word black/african american/ ethnic etc the quicker we arrive at a society that is completely encompassed with equality.
Andy1
When Greenpeace campaign to save the rainforests. No explanation is required as to why other forests are less important. It's obvious.
TallDarkAndHandsome
I'd pay to watch this on PPV. I'll be getting some popcorn in for the weekend...😂😂

https://mobile.twitter.com/Holbornlolz/stat...043232924307459

TallDarkAndHandsome
https://www.newburytoday.co.uk/news/news/30...inneapolis.html

je suis Charlie
QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Jun 9 2020, 08:24 PM) *

So, what time does the looting start? #needanewtelly
Biker1
There's a "protest" in Victoria Park.
Is the statue of said queen doomed??
Biker1
Is this still going ahead?
If so I hope he hasn't got any skeletons in his cupboard!
SirWilliam
QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ Jun 9 2020, 11:03 PM) *
So, what time does the looting start? #needanewtelly

biggrin.gif I feel your pain. Once I have heard the headlines the news goes OFF. Everyone is entitled to an opinion which is why we have little forums like this or larger audiences via "letters to the editor" in the national rags, but bloody hellfire this is getting out of control.
Would it have occurred had we not been in the middle of the ongoing pandemic? Very much doubt it but the BNP and white supremacy factions must be rubbing their hands with unbridled glee at what is unfolding.
Rhetorical histrionics is one thing, ripping down monuments with "public" support is completely unacceptable and ANY politician who advocates such actions is undeserving of office. Where does it stop? Even Stonehenge is at risk if anything that represents oppression is destroyed. They just don't seem to realise that history is something we are all part of and in 200 years time such acts of vandalism will be on a par with Elgin ripping the fresco from the Parthenon or isis destroying the temple of baalshamin.

Anyway will await the banner waving hordes with a little trepidation and a lot of sorrow.
Mr Brown
QUOTE (SirWilliam @ Jun 10 2020, 10:08 AM) *
biggrin.gif I feel your pain. Once I have heard the headlines the news goes OFF. Everyone is entitled to an opinion which is why we have little forums like this or larger audiences via "letters to the editor" in the national rags, but bloody hellfire this is getting out of control.
Would it have occurred had we not been in the middle of the ongoing pandemic? Very much doubt it but the BNP and white supremacy factions must be rubbing their hands with unbridled glee at what is unfolding.
Rhetorical histrionics is one thing, ripping down monuments with "public" support is completely unacceptable and ANY politician who advocates such actions is undeserving of office. Where does it stop? Even Stonehenge is at risk if anything that represents oppression is destroyed. They just don't seem to realise that history is something we are all part of and in 200 years time such acts of vandalism will be on a par with Elgin ripping the fresco from the Parthenon or isis destroying the temple of baalshamin.

Anyway will await the banner waving hordes with a little trepidation and a lot of sorrow.

Mr Brown
The slave traders were simply middlemen.

Odd isn't it, we never hear about those who actually rounded up and provided the slaves.

Wonder who they were.....
TallDarkAndHandsome
QUOTE (Mr Brown @ Jun 10 2020, 11:45 AM) *

Odd isn't it, we never hear about those who actually rounded up and provided the slaves.

Doesn't fit the narrative that all white men are racist, even if they are not. You should be on your knees begging for forgiveness that someone not related to you 300 years ago did a lot of bad things.
SirWilliam

Mustn't upset our oil suppliers, tut tut. Best thing that happened to Africa was the Atlantic transportation of the 17/18 th century, and before the world and it's dog descend on my house allow me to explain.
Firstly the slave traders from the arabian peninsula had been "harvesting" sub-saharan africa for a millennia prior and most of these poor souls were never seen again which leads to the assumption that it was less costly to replace than care for them.
Secondly. Though the voyage and subsequent employment was dreadful by our present standards it was on a par with european contemporaries and in some cases better.
Finally their children have been born into the richest country on the planet and despite opinions to the contrary the opportunities are boundless. Ask Barack Obama .

I now await the barrage of abuse from the left. rolleyes.gif
TallDarkAndHandsome
QUOTE (SirWilliam @ Jun 10 2020, 06:03 PM) *
Mustn't upset our oil suppliers, tut tut. Best thing that happened to Africa was the Atlantic transportation of the 17/18 th century, and before the world and it's dog descend on my house allow me to explain.
Firstly the slave traders from the arabian peninsula had been "harvesting" sub-saharan africa for a millennia prior and most of these poor souls were never seen again which leads to the assumption that it was less costly to replace than care for them.
Secondly. Though the voyage and subsequent employment was dreadful by our present standards it was on a par with european contemporaries and in some cases better.
Finally their children have been born into the richest country on the planet and despite opinions to the contrary the opportunities are boundless. Ask Barack Obama .

I now await the barrage of abuse from the left. rolleyes.gif

You need to be deported for having views like that. Repent sir, for the sins of some ancestors you were not related to in any way. I take it you won't be on the March in Newbury and chucking Queen Victoria in the Kennet and Avon? Shame on you Sir.
SirWilliam
QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Jun 10 2020, 06:18 PM) *
You need to be deported for having views like that. Repent sir, for the sins of some ancestors you were not related to in any way. I take it you won't be on the March in Newbury and chucking Queen Victoria in the Kennet and Avon? Shame on you Sir.

Quite happily chuck the whole royal family past and present in the local cut as the number of half decent monarchs can be counted on the fingers of one hand, but I will defend rigorously to retain their position in history as that is the only way we can learn of past mistakes and not repeat them.
What is the difference between shipping slaves and the highland clearances? For the people concerned absolutely nothing but you don't hear the Scots banging on about it. (Well not much laugh.gif ).
Mr Brown
QUOTE (SirWilliam @ Jun 10 2020, 06:33 PM) *
Quite happily chuck the whole royal family past and present in the local cut as the number of half decent monarchs can be counted on the fingers of one hand, but I will defend rigorously to retain their position in history as that is the only way we can learn of past mistakes and not repeat them.
What is the difference between shipping slaves and the highland clearances? For the people concerned absolutely nothing but you don't hear the Scots banging on about it. (Well not much laugh.gif ).

Or indeed the those escaping the potato famine, or Russian programs, taken to work in New York sweat shops, ! Only difference I can see is that they paid for their passage and their eventual 'boss' didn't need to any more for them than dole out a few dollars. Didn't even need to put security in place - always more where they came from.
Mr Brown
QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Jun 10 2020, 06:18 PM) *

Rent a gobs can generally only cope with one idea at a time, so does this mean the Environment is no longer an emergency ?
spartacus
The 'Taking a knee' thing is particularly abhorrent... especially those people that do it for around 8 minutes when it was a knee from a police officer that kicked this whole thing off.

As for the 'white man bad, black man good, black man victim' agenda there's always been a glossing over of the massive part that various inter-tribal wars and rivalries had to play in the whole process. If it wasn't for the efforts of various black tribes and Kingdoms in rounding up their opponents and selling them to the slave traders there wouldn't be a BLM movement at all... Europeans entering the continent in search of slaves wouldn't have last a week before succumbing to malaria or some other disease. It's the sort of thing that should be met with embarrassed shuffling of feet and averting eyes when the subject of reparations is made against the nasty colonials as it was nations such as Nigeria, Senegal and Benin that benefited hugely from the trade.
When the Slave traders were african

Slavery was a standard part in the Circle of Life in Africa long before any white explorer set foot in the place. Slaves were taken as spoils of war and used for work, prostitution and sacrifice.

My daughter recently posted on her Facebook commenting about 'Educating herself about Black Lives Matter' and listening to a certain biased podcast. I suggested she educates herself and gets some balance... read about the Annual Customs of the Kingdom of Dahomey for instance. Dahomey (now Benin) held ceremonies to honour their King and it was normal for 500 (and up to around 4,000) slaves to be sacrificed by beheading
SirWilliam
QUOTE (spartacus @ Jun 10 2020, 08:17 PM) *
The 'Taking a knee' thing is particularly abhorrent... especially those people that do it for around 8 minutes when it was a knee from a police officer that kicked this whole thing off.

As for the 'white man bad, black man good, black man victim' agenda there's always been a glossing over of the massive part that various inter-tribal wars and rivalries had to play in the whole process. If it wasn't for the efforts of various black tribes and Kingdoms in rounding up their opponents and selling them to the slave traders there wouldn't be a BLM movement at all... Europeans entering the continent in search of slaves wouldn't have last a week before succumbing to malaria or some other disease. It's the sort of thing that should be met with embarrassed shuffling of feet and averting eyes when the subject of reparations is made against the nasty colonials as it was nations such as Nigeria, Senegal and Benin that benefited hugely from the trade.
When the Slave traders were african

Slavery was a standard part in the Circle of Life in Africa long before any white explorer set foot in the place. Slaves were taken as spoils of war and used for work, prostitution and sacrifice.

My daughter recently posted on her Facebook commenting about 'Educating herself about Black Lives Matter' and listening to a certain biased podcast. I suggested she educates herself and gets some balance... read about the Annual Customs of the Kingdom of Dahomey for instance. Dahomey (now Benin) held ceremonies to honour their King and it was normal for 500 (and up to around 4,000) slaves to be sacrificed by beheading

If some good comes from this little debacle it will be that those who had not given much thought to the matter will take time to research the issue and become a little more enlightened.
The bigots at either end will not change but the more they are marginalised the quicker we get to the sort of society we all seek.

newres
The slavery thing's a bit of a red herring and side issue isn't it? I'm from Bristol and I think it's a shame that the Colston statue has distracted/hijacked the agenda. Slavery was obviously a bad thing and we shouldn't be paying homage to people who made a fortune out of it. Equally white people living now shouldn't feel guilty about it and shouldn't need either to say "well black people were involved in it too". If we stopped trying to claim pride for D Day when we weren't there, we might find it easier not to feel shame about slavery when we weren't there either.
je suis Charlie
QUOTE (newres @ Jun 11 2020, 02:20 PM) *
The slavery thing's a bit of a red herring and side issue isn't it? I'm from Bristol and I think it's a shame that the Colston statue has distracted/hijacked the agenda. Slavery was obviously a bad thing and we shouldn't be paying homage to people who made a fortune out of it. Equally white people living now shouldn't feel guilty about it and shouldn't need either to say "well black people were involved in it too". If we stopped trying to claim pride for D Day when we weren't there, we might find it easier not to feel shame about slavery when we weren't there either. W

****, I sorry, but I actually agree with you. 100%. I must be coming down with something. 😷
Mr Brown
The slavery thing's a bit of a red herring and side issue isn't it? I'm from Bristol and I think it's a shame that the Colston statue has distracted/hijacked the agenda. Slavery was obviously a bad thing and we shouldn't be paying homage to people who made a fortune out of it. Equally white people living now shouldn't feel guilty about it and shouldn't need either to say "well black people were involved in it too". If we stopped trying to claim pride for D Day when we weren't there, we might find it easier not to feel shame about slavery when we weren't there either.

Can't disagree with that.
TallDarkAndHandsome

Has Newres had an epiphany? Or has someone hacked his account? He is making sense. Does not compute. Does not compute.😂
SirWilliam
QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ Jun 11 2020, 02:31 PM) *
****, I sorry, but I actually agree with you. 100%. I must be coming down with something. 😷

Is agreeing with Mr Newres a symptom of Corona Virus infection? laugh.gif laugh.gif Seriously though he was on the money with his comments and we need sensible comment from both ends of the political spectrum when our heritage, good, bad and downright obnoxious,comes under threat.
je suis Charlie
QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Jun 11 2020, 04:37 PM) *
Has Newres had an epiphany? Or has someone hacked his account? He is making sense. Does not compute. Does not compute.😂

hes bin hacked, by,

Dave, I know I've made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal. I've still got the greatest enthusiasm and confidence in the mission. And I want to help you.
Biker1

Blimey newres, a sensible straight thinking comment that I actually fully agree with!
Just when I thought all was gloom and doom there is a glimmer of hope!! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
SirWilliam
There is a statue of Edward 1 (Longshanks) in Bugh by Sands were he is pointing his "weapon" aggressively towards the north which I demand be removed as my great great grandfather once dated a girl from Inverness and therefore I appreciate how insensitive this is to our near neighbours.
Of course we expect that nasty Robert the Bruce effigy in Stirling to be torn down immediately.

This is only the start of a list that at the moment stands at 185 figures that represent some form of oppression. In fact if we bulldoze the country flat and start again it may go some way in silencing the loony left who obviously have mental health issues on a scale unprecedented and deserving of spending all our surplus revenue on making them feel better.

Or I could just emigrate to somewhere sensible.........Mars??? cool.gif
SirWilliam

https://youtu.be/s2MxEDXGC84

Nice to know someone else thinks like me.
newres
Guys, guys.... laugh.gif
je suis Charlie
Aren't the Scots lovely people,
https://www.eveningtelegraph.co.uk/fp/if-th...in-dundee-park/
SirWilliam
QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ Jun 12 2020, 10:33 PM) *

Assuming they were Scots who posted it. This protest movement seems to be run by "outside" interest who are using the student demographic, who have nothing better to do, as media fodder.Remember how the old communist party used to orchestrate the violent protest in the '70s? Would not surprise me to learn somewhere down the line that Russia has a finger in this pie as an anarchic britain would suit their interest. I feel a concern for those genuine members of society who just happen to be black as they may suffer any backlash.
As has been said so many time a racist is a racist and all the legislation in the world will not change that but the vast majority, (in this country), see a human being not a particular colour and treat them as an equal. Only when that individual behaves in a way we find obnoxious do we become defensive to the point of retaliation.
It was hoped that the present incumbent in downing street would show leadership through these ongoing problems from brexit, coronavirus and now this racial madness but unfortunately he may try to be churchillian but it is nearer chamberlain. angry.gif
Mr Brown
QUOTE (SirWilliam @ Jun 13 2020, 09:03 AM) *
Assuming they were Scots who posted it. This protest movement seems to be run by "outside" interest who are using the student demographic, who have nothing better to do, as media fodder.Remember how the old communist party used to orchestrate the violent protest in the '70s? Would not surprise me to learn somewhere down the line that Russia has a finger in this pie as an anarchic britain would suit their interest. I feel a concern for those genuine members of society who just happen to be black as they may suffer any backlash.
As has been said so many time a racist is a racist and all the legislation in the world will not change that but the vast majority, (in this country), see a human being not a particular colour and treat them as an equal. Only when that individual behaves in a way we find obnoxious do we become defensive to the point of retaliation.
It was hoped that the present incumbent in downing street would show leadership through these ongoing problems from brexit, coronavirus and now this racial madness but unfortunately he may try to be churchillian but it is nearer chamberlain. angry.gif

Know exactly what you mean, but the reference to Chamberlain is truly ironic!

At the end of the day, he was a decent human, albeit somewhat cold. Without him, we wouldn't have been able to create the NHS. Date I say it, just like post 1944, the time for Churchill is past, we now need a Mrs Thatcher.
je suis Charlie
Thoroughly disgusting scenes in London today. Stop it!
SirWilliam
QUOTE (Mr Brown @ Jun 13 2020, 02:54 PM) *
Know exactly what you mean, but the reference to Chamberlain is truly ironic!

At the end of the day, he was a decent human, albeit somewhat cold. Without him, we wouldn't have been able to create the NHS. Date I say it, just like post 1944, the time for Churchill is past, we now need a Mrs Thatcher.

Funny you should say that as I said to my wall only yesterday "come back thatcher all is forgiven" and coming from me that was quite a statement.
SirWilliam
QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ Jun 13 2020, 04:12 PM) *

It was always going to happen and just shows that a thug is a thug whatever the colour of skin or political status. Why don't they use water cannons? And give the streets back to the public.
TallDarkAndHandsome
QUOTE (SirWilliam @ Jun 13 2020, 05:07 PM) *
It was always going to happen and just shows that a thug is a thug whatever the colour of skin or political status. Why don't they use water cannons? And give the streets back to the public.

The issue is racism and today, not something our ancestors did 300 years ago. Once the narrative was lost and Churchill and the Cenotaph were graffiti ridden only one outcome was possible.

Attack the present. OK. Not something our forefathers that we likely have no relation to did hundreds of years ago.

The BLM movement dropped the ball. And a huge majority of the slient, quiet, voting, public (those that deliver Brexit and Conservative governments) were not happy. It's not racist to be proud of your Country. We have got things wrong. All countries have.
James_Trinder
QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ Jun 13 2020, 04:12 PM) *

In contrast the conduct of the BLM protesters in Newbury today appears to have been much better:

https://www.newburytoday.co.uk/news/news/30...onstration.html
SirWilliam
QUOTE (James_Trinder @ Jun 13 2020, 05:52 PM) *
In contrast the conduct of the BLM protesters in Newbury today appears to have been much better:

https://www.newburytoday.co.uk/news/news/30...onstration.html

Seems to have been conducted in a civilised manner which no one can have any problem with but I still at a loss as to whether they are protesting about the treatment of people in America or here? We have strict laws in this country to protect the populace from racial/sexual/gender etc discrimination and anyone who is subjected to it has the given right to protection. I can not speak for other countries but, apart from a few mindless yobs ,we have a completely tolerant society of which we are justifiably proud yet we are being screamed at by a vociferous faction that is under the impression that we are anything but inclusive. Are these people completely ignorant or are we all missing the elephantidae in the room?
TallDarkAndHandsome
QUOTE (SirWilliam @ Jun 13 2020, 06:40 PM) *
Seems to have been conducted in a civilised manner which no one can have any problem with but I still at a loss as to whether they are protesting about the treatment of people in America or here? We have strict laws in this country to protect the populace from racial/sexual/gender etc discrimination and anyone who is subjected to it has the given right to protection. I can not speak for other countries but, apart from a few mindless yobs ,we have a completely tolerant society of which we are justifiably proud yet we are being screamed at by a vociferous faction that is under the impression that we are anything but inclusive. Are these people completely ignorant or are we all missing the elephantidae in the room?

My best mate at work is black. He worked his socks off and is a very well respected member of the team. I have already suggested to the board that he should be promoted above me, as he is better than me. But...I guess I'm a racist for not being "left".
SirWilliam
QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Jun 13 2020, 06:46 PM) *
My best mate at work is black. He worked his socks off and is a very well respected member of the team. I have already suggested to the board that he should be promoted above me, as he is better than me. But...I guess I'm a racist for not being "left".

Which just shows that colour is what it is, just a colour. We all know or work with someone who is way out in front in their field and they are there on their inherent ability not because they have a white/black/sky blue pink skin. But of course we are preaching to the converted as usual.
Andy Capp
QUOTE (SirWilliam @ Jun 13 2020, 06:40 PM) *

Like else where, many have learned to hide their racism; however, racism is not solely a white diseased.
SirWilliam
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jun 14 2020, 09:57 AM) *
Like else where, many have learned to hide their racism; however, racism is not solely a white diseased.

Personally I would prefer that a racist stood forward so his views can be challenged in a educated fashion, which may result a little more enlightened individual, than to let their bigotry fester behind closed doors. On the flip side of the present coin we have openly witnessed hostility from black activists towards white citizens yet, to the best of my knowledge, no prosecutions have resulted.
If we are to have equality then both sides need to step back or we really will have social breakdown.
Phil_D11102
I am an American living in the UK for over 30 years now..

I am saddened, shocked and disturbed by the matter of George Floyd. No one should have to die like he did. The police should be held accountable for what happened.

I have been unfriend by several people black and white in the past few days because of my opinion.

This is from the Washington Post as they have been tracking the numbers of people dying from the police for the past few years.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/.../...ngs.../

1033 were shot and killed by the police.
601 of all races had a firearm
173 of all races had a knife
65 of all races used a vehicle
29 of all races used a toy gun
65 of all races used another object
55 of all races were unarmed
20 of all races were deem "unknown"
14 of those unarmed were Black
25 were White,11 Hispanic, 5 were other.

One thing that is not kept in the database is the race of the police officer doing the shooting.

490 people where shot and killed in Chicago in 2019, that is down from 564 in 2018, and 756 in 2016. Shootings were down to 2,139 -- lower than 2018's count of 2,367.
Still, city leaders have expressed hope that efforts undertaken since 2016 -- hiring more police officers, emphasizing community policing and making investments in social services and schools -- are helping to lessen violent crime.

What has to happen,as it is happening in Chicago, is COMMUNITY POLICING, and making the investment in social services and schools. That is for the Democratic mayor and governor to figure out. Defunding won't solve the problem.

Again, Memorial Day 2020 weekend, 85 shot, 24 dead.

I the BLM matter group should be protesting black on black crime, gang violence, the 600K plus a year black babies being aborted. Also protest the millions of Mom's, of all colors, who are raising their kids alone with out help, emotionally or financially.

These factors are also hurting the black community. Don't cherry pick the issues, address them all.

One person unfriended me because I post a newspaper front page about that Met officer attacked while making an arrest. The person said that black men died in police custody in that area, and my response was while that matters, why isn't BLM protesting about the arrest, and how several black me tried to stop it. One even danced and took a selfie, then tried to kick a WPC who went to help. Where is the BLM comments/protest about that, and the WPC was black.

Two of my children have BAME Godfathers, and they were asked to do it not for their sign, but for their character and kind hearts.

We are missing this, as well as people accepting others opinions, and responsibility.

BLM's matter, and I won't say all lives matter, as the black community has suffered. I think a lot of that suffering/racism has to be taken by that community, as responsibility and learning starts at home.

Now I am sure some folks will see my opinion as racist, but it is the truth..

Lastly, I voted libertarian in the last election for POTUS, as I can't stomach either party at the moment.
TallDarkAndHandsome
QUOTE (Phil_D11102 @ Jun 14 2020, 11:53 AM) *
I am an American living in the UK for over 30 years now..

I am saddened, shocked and disturbed by the matter of George Floyd. No one should have to die like he did. The police should be held accountable for what happened.

I have been unfriend by several people black and white in the past few days because of my opinion.

This is from the Washington Post as they have been tracking the numbers of people dying from the police for the past few years.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/.../...ngs.../

1033 were shot and killed by the police.
601 of all races had a firearm
173 of all races had a knife
65 of all races used a vehicle
29 of all races used a toy gun
65 of all races used another object
55 of all races were unarmed
20 of all races were deem "unknown"
14 of those unarmed were Black
25 were White,11 Hispanic, 5 were other.

One thing that is not kept in the database is the race of the police officer doing the shooting.

490 people where shot and killed in Chicago in 2019, that is down from 564 in 2018, and 756 in 2016. Shootings were down to 2,139 -- lower than 2018's count of 2,367.
Still, city leaders have expressed hope that efforts undertaken since 2016 -- hiring more police officers, emphasizing community policing and making investments in social services and schools -- are helping to lessen violent crime.

What has to happen,as it is happening in Chicago, is COMMUNITY POLICING, and making the investment in social services and schools. That is for the Democratic mayor and governor to figure out. Defunding won't solve the problem.

Again, Memorial Day 2020 weekend, 85 shot, 24 dead.

I the BLM matter group should be protesting black on black crime, gang violence, the 600K plus a year black babies being aborted. Also protest the millions of Mom's, of all colors, who are raising their kids alone with out help, emotionally or financially.

These factors are also hurting the black community. Don't cherry pick the issues, address them all.

One person unfriended me because I post a newspaper front page about that Met officer attacked while making an arrest. The person said that black men died in police custody in that area, and my response was while that matters, why isn't BLM protesting about the arrest, and how several black me tried to stop it. One even danced and took a selfie, then tried to kick a WPC who went to help. Where is the BLM comments/protest about that, and the WPC was black.

Two of my children have BAME Godfathers, and they were asked to do it not for their sign, but for their character and kind hearts.

We are missing this, as well as people accepting others opinions, and responsibility.

BLM's matter, and I won't say all lives matter, as the black community has suffered. I think a lot of that suffering/racism has to be taken by that community, as responsibility and learning starts at home.

Now I am sure some folks will see my opinion as racist, but it is the truth..

Lastly, I voted libertarian in the last election for POTUS, as I can't stomach either party at the moment.

You just gave a balanced educated view. So in lefty world that means you are a racist.

Anyone seen the CHAZ "experiment" in Seattle, where the lunatics have taken over the asylum? Now that is something to behold..

https://mobile.twitter.com/FromKalen/status...709379688087555

Phil_D11102
QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Jun 14 2020, 12:15 PM) *
You just gave a balanced educated view. So in lefty world that means you are a racist.

Anyone seen the CHAZ "experiment" in Seattle, where the lunatics have taken over the asylum? Now that is something to behold..

https://mobile.twitter.com/FromKalen/status...709379688087555

Problem is 'cognitive dissonance.' People cannot change their narrative/opinion even when faced with facts.

If you talk about the 250 to 500K black on white crime, your a racists. The black on black death rate is higher in the US and UK vs being killed by a cop or dying in police custody.

As I said, I am made to feel like a racist because as it was said a balanced opinion is give.

If the police did two simple things, things would change.

1 - any officer who gets 3 or more complaints in 5 years or less has to face an independent review.
2 - every officer gets a psych test every year.

What happened in Atlanta yesterday is stupid. Cop field sobriety tests a black man sleeping in his car in a to go section of a Wendy's. When they try to arrest him, he fights, grabs the cops taser and runs. The other cop fires his taser 3 times to no help. The other cop shoots and kills the man after he points the taser at him.

The shooter is fired, the other cop placed on administrative leave, the police chief resigns, and more riots with the Wendy's being burned out.

At what point is person responsibility, culpability and compliance come into play. The guy wasn't unarmed, he took the taser forcefully from the cop. Chances are, and this won't come out, but he was probably wanted for something, which is why he ran.

George Floyd's autopsy showed he was stoned, too stoned to drive. He also was just getting over Covid, as well as having a heart problem. He was killed by the cop force air and blood going around his body. He is at fault.

The world is a screwed up place. Racism will NEVER be stopped, as man is sinful and wicked. The thing is you won't see that evil until is does something evil. Racists don't wear signs around their neck.

SirWilliam
QUOTE (Phil_D11102 @ Jun 14 2020, 12:43 PM) *
Problem is 'cognitive dissonance.' People cannot change their narrative/opinion even when faced with facts.

If you talk about the 250 to 500K black on white crime, your a racists. The black on black death rate is higher in the US and UK vs being killed by a cop or dying in police custody.

As I said, I am made to feel like a racist because as it was said a balanced opinion is give.

If the police did two simple things, things would change.

1 - any officer who gets 3 or more complaints in 5 years or less has to face an independent review.
2 - every officer gets a psych test every year.

What happened in Atlanta yesterday is stupid. Cop field sobriety tests a black man sleeping in his car in a to go section of a Wendy's. When they try to arrest him, he fights, grabs the cops taser and runs. The other cop fires his taser 3 times to no help. The other cop shoots and kills the man after he points the taser at him.

The shooter is fired, the other cop placed on administrative leave, the police chief resigns, and more riots with the Wendy's being burned out.

As an American, albeit a little estranged, I feel your opinion on the matter holds more sway than say mine who is viewing from afar, so perhaps you could enlighten me, (us), as to the feeling of of the wider population with regards to racial prejudice? Is is systemic as the media would have us believe or, like here, it is confined to an ignorant few both black and white and exploited by the political manipulators? Lot of flack thrown in Trumps direction but as far as I can see the country is no different to when Obama was in charge, apart from the fact that I do not recall rioting after each killing whether at the hands of police or from the victims contemporaries.

Maybe, like the corona pandemic, it is a relatively minor issue with excellent PR coverage that has instilled fear rather than levelled concern.

At what point is person responsibility, culpability and compliance come into play. The guy wasn't unarmed, he took the taser forcefully from the cop. Chances are, and this won't come out, but he was probably wanted for something, which is why he ran.

George Floyd's autopsy showed he was stoned, too stoned to drive. He also was just getting over Covid, as well as having a heart problem. He was killed by the cop force air and blood going around his body. He is at fault.

The world is a screwed up place. Racism will NEVER be stopped, as man is sinful and wicked. The thing is you won't see that evil until is does something evil. Racists don't wear signs around their neck.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.