Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Second referendum
Newbury Today Forum > Categories > Random Rants
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34
je suis Charlie
All seems well with the world today! No deal has at last disappeared over the horizon, the Peterborough seat is up for grabs again, and I've just had an email from the chap buying my boat to say it looks like his finance has been agreed. So that's ok, I hope. See what seeds of hope are sown now that things seem to be settling down? If I was a drinking man I'd have one, but as I'm not.
TallDarkAndHandsome
QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ May 1 2019, 07:21 PM) *
All seems well with the world today! No deal has at last disappeared over the horizon, the Peterborough seat is up for grabs again, and I've just had an email from the chap buying my boat to say it looks like his finance has been agreed. So that's ok, I hope. See what seeds of hope are sown now that things seem to be settling down? If I was a drinking man I'd have one, but as I'm not.

Just a shame an MP has to do something wrong for a recall petition. Without that we could recall them all...😂
newres

You talk such nonsense sober?
TallDarkAndHandsome
QUOTE (newres @ May 1 2019, 08:11 PM) *
You talk such nonsense sober?

Who we you voting for tomorrow Newres? Should you be allowed to vote given your obvious shortcomings?
je suis Charlie
QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ May 1 2019, 07:33 PM) *
Just a shame an MP has to do something wrong for a recall petition. Without that we could recall them all...😂

Yup, kicked out by Labour, disbarred and an overwhelming vote to get rid of her. What happens when you lie.
newres
QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ May 1 2019, 08:26 PM) *
Yup, kicked out by Labour, disbarred and an overwhelming vote to get rid of her. What happens when you lie.

Lucky the lying ethos and rules don’t apply on here or you’d be barred.
newres
QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ May 1 2019, 08:17 PM) *
Who we you voting for tomorrow Newres? Should you be allowed to vote given your obvious shortcomings?

What shortcomings? Not having enough belief?
je suis Charlie
QUOTE (newres @ May 1 2019, 08:55 PM) *

Really, so show me the viral post then. Lying, conniving, stupid little toad.
je suis Charlie
QUOTE (newres @ May 1 2019, 08:56 PM) *
What shortcomings? Not having enough belief?

Belief in what though, obviously not the truth, that's for sure.
Turin Machine

So what's the plan Stan?
Turin Machine
QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ May 1 2019, 08:26 PM) *

And all over? Doing 41 in a 30 zone. Puts stupidity into a league of its own.
Turin Machine
QUOTE (newres @ May 1 2019, 08:55 PM) *

Says the only one on here who uses a corkscrew to type
newres
QUOTE (Turin Machine @ May 1 2019, 10:28 PM) *
Says the only one on here who uses a corkscrew to type

Brilliant. rolleyes.gif
je suis Charlie
QUOTE (Turin Machine @ May 1 2019, 10:17 PM) *
So what's the plan Stan?

Me? Not sure yet, got a lot of thinking to do about it, it's almost certainly too late to get into another one this season, it's what do I replace it with that's the question. Certainly something I can use easily short handed, perhaps something a bit smaller? More fuel efficient? Anyhoo, the lease on the car runs out soon so decisions there as well. Certainly not going to buy another rangey that for sure. I'll pm you.
je suis Charlie
Well, that was a kind of 😭 emotional. Been down to yard cleaning out on lockers and stuff, having a last clear out, found a pic in a drawer of Trish, Simon and myself on holiday. Wow, talk about times winged chariot. Really didn't want to walk away and leave her, sitting up on the hard looking forlorn, bought a lump thinking of all the great times we had as a family on her, times that won't come again. No boat will ever even come close to her. Thank you. Hope your new owner loves you as much as we did. 😓
newres
QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ May 4 2019, 07:10 PM) *
Well, that was a kind of 😭 emotional. Been down to yard cleaning out on lockers and stuff, having a last clear out, found a pic in a drawer of Trish, Simon and myself on holiday. Wow, talk about times winged chariot. Really didn't want to walk away and leave her, sitting up on the hard looking forlorn, bought a lump thinking of all the great times we had as a family on her, times that won't come again. No boat will ever even come close to her. Thank you. Hope your new owner loves you as much as we did. 😓

Just checking which forum you thought you were on last night?
Turin Machine
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D5UTjXOWAAAiSpP.png

The Brexit Party is now 6/1 on to win the European Elections, and as much as 8/1 on in some places.

Nearest rival is Labour at 5/1 against.
newres
QUOTE (Turin Machine @ May 7 2019, 06:08 PM) *

The Brexit Party is now 6/1 on to win the European Elections, and as much as 8/1 on in some places.

It is a fact that they are the only “party” with a clear position. They will garner probably close to every nationalist vote. The Tories are screwed. I reckon if Labour had a clear message they would poll a lot more.
TallDarkAndHandsome
QUOTE (newres @ May 7 2019, 07:11 PM) *
It is a fact that they are the only “party” with a clear position. They will garner probably close to every nationalist vote. The Tories are screwed. I reckon if Labour had a clear message they would poll a lot more.

Why nationalist? Some people that voted remain respect the decision and will vote for the Brexit party.
TallDarkAndHandsome
QUOTE (Turin Machine @ May 7 2019, 06:08 PM) *

I can't wait to see Druncker, Verhoftwat, Femi, Lammy & cos reactions...another vote! It isn't fair, despite my Twitter feed being inundated with Pro EU propaganda...
.. and I didn't think meddling in Elections was good? Oh only good if you think the "right" way...
newres
QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ May 7 2019, 07:35 PM) *
Why nationalist? Some people that voted remain respect the decision and will vote for the Brexit party.

I doubt there will be many of those. It’ll just be those that pretend to themselves they voted for no deal all along even though at the time not a single person in the Leave camp said we’d leave without a great deal. Unfortunately there seem to be rather a lot of these people about. rolleyes.gif
TallDarkAndHandsome
QUOTE (newres @ May 7 2019, 09:36 PM) *
I doubt there will be many of those. It’ll just be those that pretend to themselves they voted for no deal all along even though at the time not a single person in the Leave camp said we’d leave without a great deal. Unfortunately there seem to be rather a lot of these people about. rolleyes.gif

Yep. People in general hate being told "what to do" by people that consider themselves "intellectually superior"... it's where all remainers (including you) have got it so badly wrong...
newres
QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ May 7 2019, 09:46 PM) *
Yep. People in general hate being told "what to do" by people that consider themselves "intellectually superior"... it's where all remainers (including you) have got it so badly wrong...

Whatever.
TallDarkAndHandsome
QUOTE (newres @ May 7 2019, 09:48 PM) *
Whatever.

Do you not see an element of truth? Or are you blinded?
newres
QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ May 7 2019, 10:10 PM) *
Do you not see an element of truth? Or are you blinded?

So it’s not the fact that they were had, it’s that they don’t like being told they were had?
TallDarkAndHandsome
QUOTE (newres @ May 7 2019, 10:13 PM) *
So it’s not the fact that they were had, it’s that they don’t like being told they were had?

When people sound arrogant and all superior it just entrenched opinions, whether they be right or wrong... most people see an #fbpe hashtag and think "w@nker". I honestly don't know whether in or out is right. I can see both points Iof view but I do respect democracy. And b4 you say it... the whole election spending thing and "lies" / propaganda that was part of the original 2016 election applies to both sides.. I remember the government Cameron propaganda paid for by the tax payer through the letter box... Still I see Erdogan in Turkey has taken note. If you lose an election...just have another one...dangerous times chap... if its good enough for us... we can't complain...
newres
QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ May 7 2019, 10:26 PM) *
When people sound arrogant and all superior it just entrenched opinions, whether they be right or wrong... most people see an #fbpe hashtag and think "w@nker". I honestly don't know whether in or out is right. I can see both points Iof view but I do respect democracy. And b4 you say it... the whole election spending thing and "lies" / propaganda that was part of the original 2016 election applies to both sides.. I remember the government Cameron propaganda paid for by the tax payer through the letter box... Still I see Erdogan in Turkey has taken note. If you lose an election...just have another one...dangerous times chap... if its good enough for us... we can't complain...

Interesting you mention Turkey. One of the biggest lies.
TallDarkAndHandsome
QUOTE (newres @ May 7 2019, 10:29 PM) *
Interesting you mention Turkey. One of the biggest lies.

Enlighten me...loses Istanbul. Calls another election? And as for the EU... they recently gave them billions... look it up...
je suis Charlie
The EU has history with this,

"53.4% of Irish voters rejected the Lisbon treaty, against 46.6% who supported it (giving the "No" camp a "sweeping victory"). Yet now the Irish will be asked to vote again. EU officials' behind-doors deal to force a second referendum in Ireland reveals their utter contempt for Irish voters, and for democracy itself. It is an historic sucker punch against the sovereignty of the people.

As soon as the Irish people's ballots were counted in June, their rejection of Lisbon was treated as the "wrong" answer, as if they had been taking part in a multiple-choice maths exam and had failed to work out that 2+2=4. Now, they will be given a chance to sit the exam again, "until [they] come up with the right answer,"
TallDarkAndHandsome
QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ May 7 2019, 11:16 PM) *
The EU has history with this,

"53.4% of Irish voters rejected the Lisbon treaty, against 46.6% who supported it (giving the "No" camp a "sweeping victory"). Yet now the Irish will be asked to vote again. EU officials' behind-doors deal to force a second referendum in Ireland reveals their utter contempt for Irish voters, and for democracy itself. It is an historic sucker punch against the sovereignty of the people.

As soon as the Irish people's ballots were counted in June, their rejection of Lisbon was treated as the "wrong" answer, as if they had been taking part in a multiple-choice maths exam and had failed to work out that 2+2=4. Now, they will be given a chance to sit the exam again, "until [they] come up with the right answer,"

Quite. When you refuse to accept election results in "democratic" countries you can't really moan when Erdogan does the same...oh wait.. Verhoftwats can...😂😂😂

https://mobile.twitter.com/guyverhofstadt/s...510836225748992

Been received well by the comments....🤣🤣🤣
newres
QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ May 7 2019, 11:24 PM) *
Quite. When you refuse to accept election results in "democratic" countries you can't really moan when Erdogan does the same...oh wait.. Verhoftwats can...😂😂😂

https://mobile.twitter.com/guyverhofstadt/s...510836225748992

Been received well by the comments....🤣🤣🤣

The treaty was renegotiated and the second referendum was 70:30. That’s democracy in action.

In the UK the promises have proven undeliverable. To honour the vote without going back to the people is unfemocratic and stupid. It panders to those threatening unrest.
je suis Charlie
"Juncker: I should have intervened in Brexit referendum"

Yeah right, because we really needed that! ****!
newres
QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ May 8 2019, 09:28 AM) *

Just going back to Ireland though which you brought up. Is there anything wrong with how it turned out?
TallDarkAndHandsome
QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ May 8 2019, 09:28 AM) *

He is right to be worried...his gravy train is going to be derailed...
je suis Charlie
QUOTE (newres @ May 8 2019, 05:14 AM) *
The treaty was renegotiated and the second referendum was 70:30. That’s democracy in action.

In the UK the promises have proven undeliverable. To honour the vote without going back to the people is unfemocratic and stupid. It panders to those threatening unrest.

Umm, democracy in action huh, so what's 'democratic' about trying to overturn the result of a national referendum because you don't like the result?
TallDarkAndHandsome
QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ May 8 2019, 06:49 PM) *
Umm, democracy in action huh, so what's 'democratic' about trying to overturn the result of a national referendum because you don't like the result?

Can't really complain about dictatorships... can we?
newres
QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ May 8 2019, 06:49 PM) *

What’s undemocratic about a result based upon the premise of a fantastic deal that fails to be delivered being reassessed if there’s evidence that the people have changed their mind?

In the absence of a deal between May and Corbyn, there surely will have to be a vote of some kind.
TallDarkAndHandsome
QUOTE (newres @ May 8 2019, 08:01 PM) *
What’s undemocratic about a result based upon the premise of a fantastic deal that fails to be delivered being reassessed if there’s evidence that the people have changed their mind?

In the absence of a deal between May and Corbyn, there surely will have to be a vote of some kind.

Because you seem to "believe" that brexiteers were some sort of mushroom and that they were kept in the dark... they were not.. as you will soon find out....after all you have had 3 year's telling us how bl00dy awful it will be when we leave... and people will still vote to leave. You just don't get "it" I am afraid. Which makes you a bit
.. "thick"...🤣🤣🤣
Andy Capp
QUOTE (newres @ May 8 2019, 05:14 AM) *

I have recently felt that the biggest weapon we had was treacherously removed when they voted to take no deal off the table, that affectively kept us in some form of union.
je suis Charlie
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ May 8 2019, 11:18 PM) *
I have recently felt that the biggest weapon we had was treacherously removed when they voted to take no deal off the table, that affectively kept us in some form of union.

Of course it was, you can't win at poker if they won't let you play the ace.
newres
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ May 8 2019, 11:18 PM) *

The public didn’t vote for “no deal”. Find a single instance of a Leave campaigner that said we’d leave with no access to the single market or we’d remove frictionless trade. Find a single instance of a Leave leader saying we’d be worse off.
Andy Capp
QUOTE (newres @ May 9 2019, 05:37 AM) *
The public didn’t vote for “no deal”. Find a single instance of a Leave campaigner that said we’d leave with no access to the single market or we’d remove frictionless trade. Find a single instance of a Leave leader saying we’d be worse off.

More people voted to leave than stay, so for parliament to remove one of the government’s main bargaining tools was an act of sabotage from an overwhelmingly remain organisation.
je suis Charlie
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ May 9 2019, 06:03 AM) *
More people voted to leave than stay, so for parliament to remove one of the government’s main bargaining tools was an act of sabotage from an overwhelmingly remain organisation.

And really, it's that simple. You can't 'negotiate' anything with your hands tied behind your back.
newres
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ May 9 2019, 06:03 AM) *

It's only been removed recently. The negotiations have been going on for 3 years. No sensible government is going to walk away without an agreement.
je suis Charlie
BUT THAT'S THE POINT! It's the threat of walking away without a deal the allows you to negotiate a better deal! What's so difficult to understand? We need a few more poker players in government!
newres
QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ May 9 2019, 11:16 AM) *
BUT THAT'S THE POINT! It's the threat of walking away without a deal the allows you to negotiate a better deal! What's so difficult to understand? We need a few more poker players in government!

But it was only taken away after Parliament failed to pass the deal negotiated. In order to prevent a catastrophe. Throughout the negotiations no deal was the default position and was the stated position throughout.

People just need to accept that the EU was always going to act in the best interests of the EU. Conceding all the benefits of membership to non members is not in their interest and Cameron warned of this bet was contradicted by the Leave camp. It transpires that Cameron was correct and that’s why we should vote again. We aren’t getting what people voted for. Absolutely no one voted for no deal because according to Remain we’d be leaving with a great deal.
Strafin
QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ May 9 2019, 07:12 AM) *

Referendums aren't elections though. They are just opinion polls. So whilst our government said they would enact the result, they were under no legal obligation to.
That's the difference.
TallDarkAndHandsome
QUOTE (Strafin @ May 9 2019, 02:09 PM) *
Referendums aren't elections though. They are just opinion polls. So whilst our government said they would enact the result, they were under no legal obligation to.
That's the difference.

Guess that's ok then.🤡
je suis Charlie
QUOTE (Strafin @ May 9 2019, 02:09 PM) *
That's the difference.

Quite right, but it was always promulgated as being 'the country decides' and they did. However there are now calls to say that if we have a second referendum it will have the status of legality. Sort of changing the rules as they go along.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.