Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Second referendum
Newbury Today Forum > Categories > Random Rants
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34
SirWilliam
QUOTE (Berkshirelad @ Mar 20 2019, 03:18 PM) *
Absolute rubbish.

The only additional checking at ports will be if the EU so demands it on entry to the EU. Calais have said they are already ready for this. Aircraft movements would not cease - this myth was put to bed months ago. It is the EU that would have a huge gulf in its security as they would no longer have access to our 5 eyes intelligence. Our security is comparatively easy - we are an island! We already have trade agreements with non-EU countries; these would be rolled over (as Liam Fox is currently doing) or negated by tariff free WTO terms.

Of course they will be an impact - otherwise why bother leaving at all. But I believe that it's a positive impact in the long term

That's what I thought, though had no evidence to confirm. Surely most manifest's are done electronically anyway and it will be straight forward case of tariff free or subject to import duty.
Anyway it may all be academic as the smart money is on staying in.
newres
QUOTE (Berkshirelad @ Mar 20 2019, 03:18 PM) *
Absolute rubbish.

The only additional checking at ports will be if the EU so demands it on entry to the EU. Calais have said they are already ready for this. Aircraft movements would not cease - this myth was put to bed months ago. It is the EU that would have a huge gulf in its security as they would no longer have access to our 5 eyes intelligence. Our security is comparatively easy - we are an island! We already have trade agreements with non-EU countries; these would be rolled over (as Liam Fox is currently doing) or negated by tariff free WTO terms.

Of course they will be an impact - otherwise why bother leaving at all. But I believe that it's a positive impact in the long term

Unfortunately no one agrees with you except rabid leavers.

So are we just going to let goods through at our ports?
TallDarkAndHandsome
QUOTE (newres @ Mar 20 2019, 06:41 PM) *

Why "rabid"? Had to chuckle at a "rabid" remainer accosting me at Maidenhead train station today. Completely barking. Told him where he could stick his European flag.🤣
Turin Machine
QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Mar 20 2019, 09:04 PM) *
Why "rabid"? Had to chuckle at a "rabid" remainer accosting me at Maidenhead train station today. Completely barking. Told him where he could stick his European flag.🤣

laugh.gif laugh.gif ohmy.gif
TallDarkAndHandsome
QUOTE (Turin Machine @ Mar 20 2019, 09:47 PM) *
laugh.gif laugh.gif ohmy.gif

The silly sausage wanted me to litter the train with hundreds of leaflets about some loser March in London on the 23rd. Told him to think of the environment. 🤣
Turin Machine
QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Mar 20 2019, 09:55 PM) *
The silly sausage wanted me to litter the train with hundreds of leaflets about some loser March in London on the 23rd. Told him to think of the environment. 🤣

smile.gif
je suis Charlie

🙈🙉🙊
je suis Charlie

I actually know people going on that, because parliament is going to look out of their windows and say "hey! There's a march! They're not happy about it, ok, stop brexit, it's obviously an overwhelming mandatory", although the ones I know are only going cos they're going on afterwards. Making a day of it. My bets are on 🗣️👮‍♂️🚑 👩‍⚕️🤕🍺.
newres
QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ Mar 20 2019, 10:35 PM) *
I actually know people going on that, because parliament is going to look out of their windows and say "hey! There's a march! They're not happy about it, ok, stop brexit, it's obviously an overwhelming mandatory", although the ones I know are only going cos they're going on afterwards. Making a day of it. My bets are on 🗣️👮‍♂️🚑 👩‍⚕️🤕🍺.

Several people on here were going to go on a march they claimed if Brexit was cancelled. Doesn’t xnob from here go on TommyforPM jaunts?
TallDarkAndHandsome
QUOTE (newres @ Mar 21 2019, 05:25 AM) *
Several people on here were going to go on a march they claimed if Brexit was cancelled. Doesn’t xnob from here go on TommyforPM jaunts?

It's not been cancelled so you don't know what will happen if it is. I know you have a wet dream every night that it has been, but let's just wait and see. No point in a riot about something that hasn't happened yet. Eh?
je suis Charlie
QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Mar 21 2019, 06:59 AM) *
It's not been cancelled so you don't know what will happen if it is. I know you have a wet dream every night that it has been, but let's just wait and see. No point in a riot about something that hasn't happened yet. Eh?

Don't get your hopes up, I don't think it's gonna fly, parliament won't let it happen, too many goons fighting for their own glory and forgetting they are there to carry out the wish of the electorate. Strangely, it would have been better for brexit if old corduroy had been in charge. Strange ole world.
Turin Machine
The adverts for the Mayfair-to-Westminster march this weekend are interesting. I mean, they aren't, but there's over a million four-page colour cover wraps on the Metro today, which can't be cheap (cheaper than 40 million pamphlets, probably), and full-sized adverts on Tube platforms despite TfL's rules about political adverts. I do hope People's Vote are adhering to spending regulations...
Berkshirelad
QUOTE (newres @ Mar 20 2019, 06:41 PM) *

That's what tariff free means.

There would be no more requirement to check than exists at present

Just to be clear, I am (and voted) pro-Brexit but I have never been rabid
Turin Machine
Ooh, it's getting all exciting and scary, who needs Game of Thrones when we can all sit back and watch this! John Snow, "Brexit is coming".
SirWilliam
QUOTE (Turin Machine @ Mar 21 2019, 07:00 PM) *
Ooh, it's getting all exciting and scary, who needs Game of Thrones when we can all sit back and watch this! John Snow, "Brexit is coming".

You mean "Game of Thrones" isn't real? But there again leaving the european union is just a fantasy. cool.gif
TallDarkAndHandsome
QUOTE (Turin Machine @ Mar 21 2019, 07:00 PM) *

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/110...-nuclear-bunker

Presume everyone else on here has a fully stocked Nuclear bunker ready to go? I have room for a couple of nubile young ladies but none of you lot.😂
Turin Machine
QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Mar 21 2019, 07:44 PM) *
https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/110...-nuclear-bunker

Presume everyone else on here has a fully stocked Nuclear bunker ready to go? I have room for a couple of nubile young ladies but none of you lot.😂

I've got a loaf of bread, six tins of beans and a stick with a nail in it. Should be enough to get me through the 'crisis'.
SirWilliam
QUOTE (Turin Machine @ Mar 21 2019, 07:55 PM) *
I've got a loaf of bread, six tins of beans and a stick with a nail in it. Should be enough to get me through the 'crisis'.

Some of us have only just come out of hiding after the millenium bug crisis. That really was scary. rolleyes.gif
TallDarkAndHandsome
QUOTE (SirWilliam @ Mar 21 2019, 08:22 PM) *
Some of us have only just come out of hiding after the millenium bug crisis. That really was scary. rolleyes.gif

I know. Best money I ever earned...😁
je suis Charlie
Five gets you ten she revokes A50. It's her only way out, it'll end her political career but she's got no choice now. Hope to god she can't get this awful deal through, shackled to a rotting corpse is not a happy prospect thank you very much.
newres
It’s clear we’ve got a bit of breathing space but if no deal looks likely we will pull out of our planned house move and I guarantee the supermarkets will be empty and given the time of year, and our reliance on imports they won’t be easily restocked. There will be panic. There will be an immediate effect. However, I do think the breathing space gives us time for another plan and no deal looks less likely. I hope.

Have you seen 2.5m signatures now on revoke A50. After one day.
TallDarkAndHandsome
QUOTE (newres @ Mar 22 2019, 03:25 AM) *
It’s clear we’ve got a bit of breathing space but if no deal looks likely we will pull out of our planned house move and I guarantee the supermarkets will be empty and given the time of year, and our reliance on imports they won’t be easily restocked. There will be panic. There will be an immediate effect. However, I do think the breathing space gives us time for another plan and no deal looks less likely. I hope.

That's just the rabid remainers.
newres
QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Mar 22 2019, 07:10 AM) *
That's just the rabid remainers.

I agree it’s more alliterative. Loony leavers!
Mr Brown
Unless we stay in, there are just two options:

- take the deal on the table
- exit no deal

No other choice exists.
je suis Charlie

When it gets to 17.2 million, wake me up.
je suis Charlie

I think, we might just have to change your name, "don't panic! Don't panic Mr Mannering!"
newres
QUOTE (Mr Brown @ Mar 22 2019, 08:52 AM) *
Unless we stay in, there are just two options:

- take the deal on the table
- exit no deal

No other choice exists.

That's not true.
newres
QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ Mar 22 2019, 12:08 PM) *
I think, we might just have to change your name, "don't panic! Don't panic Mr Mannering!"

Remember the fuel strikes a few years ago when all the fresh food was panic bought? It's inevitable. I'll bet even the fuel pumps will be run dry. And the leavers will be at the front of the queues!
Turin Machine

"But a search of Twitter indicated some Remainers were enthusiastically touting their details on line and encouraging people to use them as a way of getting round the Parliamentary rules.

One provided his postcode, adding: “EVERYONE COME OUT AND SIGN THE PETITION TO REVERSE BREXIT! Please share around. Every signature counts.”
Turin Machine
QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ Mar 22 2019, 12:08 PM) *

Or possibly Chicken Little? "The sky is falling in"!
newres
QUOTE (Turin Machine @ Mar 22 2019, 12:47 PM) *
"But a search of Twitter indicated some Remainers were enthusiastically touting their details on line and encouraging people to use them as a way of getting round the Parliamentary rules.

One provided his postcode, adding: “EVERYONE COME OUT AND SIGN THE PETITION TO REVERSE BREXIT! Please share around. Every signature counts.”

Straw clutching!
newres
QUOTE (Turin Machine @ Mar 22 2019, 12:52 PM) *
Or possibly Chicken Little? "The sky is falling in"!

Do you mean Chicken Licken?
je suis Charlie
QUOTE (newres @ Mar 22 2019, 02:13 PM) *
Straw clutching!

I know they are. I once signed a petition twenty times, for giggles, it's really easy peasy.
Turin Machine
QUOTE (newres @ Mar 22 2019, 02:13 PM) *
Do you mean Chicken Licken?

You're thinking of kfc.
TallDarkAndHandsome

Fake news. #bots
You can sign from anywhere in the world. Duh!
Someone from North Korea even bl00dy signed and only diplomats have access to the Net.
je suis Charlie
QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Mar 22 2019, 05:29 PM) *
Fake news. #bots
You can sign from anywhere in the world. Duh!
Someone from North Korea even bl00dy signed and only diplomats have access to the Net.

And I see some of the people in China are also worried enough to sign it. Wow!
newres
3.6m now.
je suis Charlie
QUOTE (newres @ Mar 22 2019, 07:12 PM) *
3.6m now.

And? When it gets to 17.3m wake me up. It's only a petition dear boy.
TallDarkAndHandsome
QUOTE (newres @ Mar 22 2019, 07:12 PM) *
3.6m now.

Same number as before....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-36640459
🤣
Mr Brown
QUOTE (newres @ Mar 22 2019, 12:41 PM) *
That's not true.

So then, given the Government can withdraw it's request to leave, what other options are there apart from:

- exit with no deal. (Trade under World Trade Arrangements)
Or
- accept the 'deal' the EU have agreed stating further negotiation isn't acceptable.

No matter what Messrs Cable or Benn or the turncoat brigade might imagine, no other solution is even conceivable. Like it or not, the EU negotiators have played an absolute blinder.
TallDarkAndHandsome
QUOTE (Mr Brown @ Mar 22 2019, 09:08 PM) *
So then, given the Government can withdraw it's request to leave, what other options are there apart from:

Or
- accept the 'deal' the EU have agreed stating further negotiation isn't acceptable.

No matter what Messrs Cable or Benn or the turncoat brigade might imagine, no other solution is even conceivable. Like it or not, the EU negotiators have played an absolute blinder.

I wouldn't say they had. It was like taking candy from a baby. No minerals in these UK politicians. I expect the VAST majority of MPs will either get deselected or voted out at the next GE. The public (both remain and out) will not forgive this shower of sh1t. Good riddance. I won't be voting for the first time in my life but will take the time to go to the ballot and wipe my **** on the ballot paper.
je suis Charlie

Or

Their negotiators didn't have to do anything, other than the odd 'gallic' shrug. When all our lot are capable of is making an offer then standing around scratching their ***** when they say "mais non Mon Ami" it's not difficult to get the better of us is it. Christ! If they behave like this when they try to strike a trade deal no wonder we're buggered.
je suis Charlie
And, it's all over.

The Guardian: Uri Geller promises to stop Brexit using telepathy.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/m...using-telepathy

It's bringing the whole farce to a new level.
newres

Or

The problem is the backstop. There are only three solutions to a hard border - remain, customs union or (ultimately) a United Ireland. No deal doesn’t solve the backstop. If you accept BJ’s assertion that it’s just like going from Camden to Islington then the backstop is a red herring however, but it obviously isn’t.
TallDarkAndHandsome
QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ Mar 22 2019, 09:38 PM) *
Their negotiators didn't have to do anything, other than the odd 'gallic' shrug. When all our lot are capable of is making an offer then standing around scratching their ***** when they say "mais non Mon Ami" it's not difficult to get the better of us is it. Christ! If they behave like this when they try to strike a trade deal no wonder we're buggered.

I think Macron is buggered. Most unpopular President in French history. Today will be major flashpoint in Paris. Macron has instructed his regime troops to open fire on Yellow vests.
Biker1
F*** Off!
tongue.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
SirWilliam
QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Mar 23 2019, 08:39 AM) *
I think Macron is buggered. Most unpopular President in French history. Today will be major flashpoint in Paris. Macron has instructed his regime troops to open fire on Yellow vests.

And this is the sort of person the remoaners wish get in bed with. rolleyes.gif
Mr Brown
QUOTE (newres @ Mar 23 2019, 06:13 AM) *
The problem is the backstop. There are only three solutions to a hard border - remain, customs union or (ultimately) a United Ireland. No deal doesn’t solve the backstop. If you accept BJ’s assertion that it’s just like going from Camden to Islington then the backstop is a red herring however, but it obviously isn’t.

The 'Irish border' point is a sub issue. If Northern Ireland and Southern Ireland believe that they don't want a formal customs border, then again, there is a simple choice for the Northern province - join politically with Southern Ireland. Scotland as a 'province' voted to remain in the referendum, but has to accept the will of the majority in the other provinces of the UK.

However if the UK Government for whatever reason believes having a hard border is a showstopper, then they will not choose to leave without the deal. Nonetheless, that sub decision hasn't yet been taken.

Frankly, like many others, I can't see what's wrong with a formal border - Switzerland manages pretty well.
je suis Charlie
QUOTE (Mr Brown @ Mar 23 2019, 12:38 PM) *
The 'Irish border' point is a sub issue. If Northern Ireland and Southern Ireland believe that they don't want a formal customs border, then again, there is a simple choice for the Northern province - join politically with Southern Ireland. Scotland as a 'province' voted to remain in the referendum, but has to accept the will of the majority in the other provinces of the UK.

However if the UK Government for whatever reason believes having a hard border is a showstopper, then they will not choose to leave without the deal. Nonetheless, that sub decision hasn't yet been taken.

Frankly, like many others, I can't see what's wrong with a formal border - Switzerland manages pretty well.

Andorra doesn't find it a problem.
SirWilliam
QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ Mar 23 2019, 01:04 PM) *
Andorra doesn't find it a problem.

I surmise that neither do they have a bunch of p****s in charge.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.