Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Second referendum
Newbury Today Forum > Categories > Random Rants
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34
Turin Machine
QUOTE (newres @ Feb 14 2019, 08:04 PM) *
That may be more to do with the growth of emerging economies as anything if it transpires. It seems to me that people are desperate for the EU to collapse because it would make our population look less stupid when our own economy collapses.

Or it may be more to do with most of the European major economies circling the drain.
Mr Brown
That may be more to do with the growth of emerging economies as anything if it transpires. It seems to me that people are desperate for the EU to collapse because it would make our population look less stupid when our own economy collapses.

Might be worth reading Nick Comfort's latest book. Very good discourse looking at the collapse of UK commerce since 1952. A chapter explains the failure of our education system illustrated by the reduction in examination standards, the simplification of the cirriculem etc. Followed by a chapter saying much the same thing about our further education approach. In simple terms, these days clever people might not be anywhere near as clever as they might imagine.
TallDarkAndHandsome

Whereas Europhiles like you are desperate for the UK to collapse. Just so you can say "told you". SHAME. SHAME. SHAME.
TallDarkAndHandsome
QUOTE (Mr Brown @ Feb 14 2019, 09:56 PM) *
Might be worth reading Nick Comfort's latest book. Very good discourse looking at the collapse of UK commerce since 1952. A chapter explains the failure of our education system illustrated by the reduction in examination standards, the simplification of the cirriculem etc. Followed by a chapter saying much the same thing about our further education approach. In simple terms, these days clever people might not be anywhere near as clever as they might imagine.

Couldn't agree more.
Turin Machine

If you only think you're clever you probably aren't. Eh newres.
Biker1
QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Feb 14 2019, 09:06 PM) *
The days of Union's holding the Country to ransom are gone.

Apart from the railways?? rolleyes.gif
je suis Charlie
I'm not sure how I missed it at the time, but it seems that the European Parliament's Brexit steering committee (six MEPs and Guy Verhofstadt) has told Ireland (not the UK) that it must set up a hard customs border in the event of a no deal Brexit, or face being ejected from the customs union itself - effectively stating that the integrity of customs union overrides the Good Friday Agreement.

Elmar Brok, of the steering committee said:
“We would have to set up a customs border with Ireland. The defence of the internal market is the basis of our economic success in Germany. If we destroy the Single Market, the EU is finished.”

Philippe Lamberts, also of the steering committee said:
"The British would have a 500km backdoor into the single market. If Ireland refuses to protect the border with Northern Ireland after a hard Brexit, we would have to relocate the customs border to the Continent."

Original German article here:
http://www.spiegel.de/politik/ausland/b ... 51148.html

Ireland doesn't want a hard border. "Great Britain" doesn't want a hard border. Northern Ireland doesn't want a hard border. No part of the British Isles wants a hard border. The European Parliament says Ireland has an obligation to set up a hard border or it gets kicked out.

So either the EU forces Ireland* to break the Good Friday Agreement, or the EU ejects a member state.

That's a rather interesting change of tack from the EU which seems to have always insisted the UK would be responsible for such a hard border - and quite a distance from Tusk's comments later the same day:

"The top priority for us, remains the issue of the border on the island of Ireland, and the guarantee to maintain the peace process in accordance with the Good Friday Agreement. There is no room for speculation here. The EU itself is first and foremost a peace project. We will not gamble with peace; or put a sell-by date on reconciliation."

Right now it seems to be "**** Good Friday, because our customs union".

I suspect more movement on this issue is to come. From the EU27.

*Like it forced Ireland into a crippling bank bailout package in 2010
Turin Machine
Meanwhile, on the continent, Ford's just sacked a couple thousand in Bordeaux and Saarlouis, with 20,000 jobs reportedly under threat, as part of a European restructuring - there's a non-zero chance of Ford pulling out of Europe entirely, like GM, but otherwise Jim Farley has been pretty scathing about the performance and health of Ford Europe. It's also just employed a couple thousand at a factory in Craiova, in Romania - which is great news for the French and German workers who lost their jobs, as they have freedom of movement to Romania.

Personally I find Ford UK's warnings about how Brexit will affect it to be comical in that context, particularly while it makes Transits in also-non-EU Turkey rather than in Southampton...😂
James_Trinder
QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Feb 14 2019, 10:03 PM) *
Whereas Europhiles like you are desperate for the UK to collapse. Just so you can say "told you". SHAME. SHAME. SHAME.

No, I would rather be proved wrong. If I jumped off a cliff and didn't seriously injure myself then I would also be happy with that outcome.
TallDarkAndHandsome
QUOTE (James_Trinder @ Feb 15 2019, 06:04 PM) *
No, I would rather be proved wrong. If I jumped off a cliff and didn't seriously injure myself then I would also be happy with that outcome.

Have you ever jumped off a cliff?
newres
QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Feb 15 2019, 06:10 PM) *

Only a suicide or a moron would do so.
TallDarkAndHandsome
QUOTE (newres @ Feb 15 2019, 08:32 PM) *
Only a suicide or a moron would do so.

Shame on you. Suicide and "moron" should not be in the same sentence. Sad. You really are losing the plot. 42 days. Tic toc
...😂
Berkshirelad
the cirriculem etc.

Including spelling, one imagines biggrin.gif ohmy.gif
Berkshirelad
QUOTE (Biker1 @ Feb 15 2019, 09:30 AM) *
Apart from the railways?? rolleyes.gif

Well, they only seems to do bits of it at any one time rather than the whole shebang
Mr Brown
QUOTE (Berkshirelad @ Feb 15 2019, 08:58 PM) *
Including spelling, one imagines biggrin.gif ohmy.gif

Ah, yes, my favourite American author, Mark Twain.
James_Trinder
QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Feb 15 2019, 06:10 PM) *

No, I haven't.
Andy1
QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandaBellEnd @ Feb 15 2019, 06:10 PM) *

You are a very strange forum jockey
TallDarkAndHandsome
QUOTE (Andyisadick @ Feb 18 2019, 02:50 PM) *
You are a very strange forum jockey

Whereas you are just strange.
newres
QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Feb 15 2019, 09:47 PM) *
Shame on you. Suicide and "moron" should not be in the same sentence. Sad. You really are losing the plot. 42 days. Tic toc
...😂

Why’s that?
TallDarkAndHandsome
QUOTE (newres @ Feb 18 2019, 07:37 PM) *
Why’s that?

Because name calling can affect people and lead to depression and suicide. 38 days. Tic toc.
Strafin
QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Feb 19 2019, 06:59 PM) *
Because name calling can affect people and lead to depression and suicide. 38 days. Tic toc.

Maybe you should take your own advice, some of the name calling and language I've seen from you is amongst the worst on here!
newres
QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Feb 19 2019, 07:59 PM) *

It’s tick tock. laugh.gif
je suis Charlie
Now it's definitely not going to happen, anyone want to buy a rather nice bottle of champagne?
Turin Machine
I'll have it for 50p.
je suis Charlie
QUOTE (newres @ Feb 20 2019, 04:52 PM) *
It’s tick tock. laugh.gif

Actually, Mr I've got a degree.

ticktockor tic·toc[tik-tok]
noun
an alternating ticking sound, as that made by a clock.
verb (used without object)
to emit or produce a ticking sound, like that of a clock.
TallDarkAndHandsome
QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ Feb 23 2019, 05:52 PM) *

noun

33 days.🤣 tickety toc.. so funny. Anyone for getting these poor misunderstood Isis wives back?. Surely they deserve a free house, benefits and free psychiatric help? Poor souls..These right wingers are evil. I Mean it's not like the Royal Navy rescued some poor soul called Salman Abedi. He repaid us in kind, if memory serves me right...

SirWilliam
QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Feb 23 2019, 07:40 PM) *
33 days.🤣 tickety toc.. so funny. Anyone for getting these poor misunderstood Isis wives back?. Surely they deserve a free house, benefits and free psychiatric help? Poor souls..These right wingers are evil. I Mean it's not like the Royal Navy rescued some poor soul called Salman Abedi. He repaid us in kind, if memory serves me right...

Hands up everyone who at some time in their lives expressed a wish to follow their father's chosen profession? "Tell me again mummy what daddy used to do" seems very apt 5 years on. But like everything else the silent majority view will be steamrollered by the clamouring liberals who genuinely believe they have some divine right to run our lives. Apparently we have already let 400 odd return from Syria and have no idea where they are. angry.gif
je suis Charlie
QUOTE (SirWilliam @ Feb 24 2019, 09:10 AM) *
Hands up everyone who at some time in their lives expressed a wish to follow their father's chosen profession? "Tell me again mummy what daddy used to do" seems very apt 5 years on. But like everything else the silent majority view will be steamrollered by the clamouring liberals who genuinely believe they have some divine right to run our lives. Apparently we have already let 400 odd return from Syria and have no idea where they are. angry.gif

And yet, and yet, when the bombs start going off again it will be the same liberal morons who chorus "why ain't the guvment dooin summat?" As always.
newres
QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ Feb 23 2019, 06:52 PM) *

noun

So does your clock tic? And do you get a tick when you read about black disabled people getting benefits in the Daily Mail?

As you say, a clock makes a “ticking” sound and not a “ticing” sound.

Still, I think it’s lovely the way you’ve stood up for the educationally challenged.
je suis Charlie
QUOTE (newres @ Feb 24 2019, 04:15 PM) *
So does your clock tic? And do you get a tick when you read about black disabled people getting benefits in the Daily Mail?

Still, I think it’s lovely the way you’ve stood up for the educationally challenged.

Tinternet says I'm right, don't worry dear, it's only data.
Turin Machine
https://www.dictionary.com/browse/tictoc

Bit like this u mean.
TallDarkAndHandsome
QUOTE (newres @ Feb 24 2019, 04:15 PM) *

Calm down dear. You will have yourself a conorary (as dell boy would say).😂
je suis Charlie
QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Feb 24 2019, 04:42 PM) *
Calm down dear. You will have yourself a conorary (as dell boy would say).😂

I think he's been on dad's lunchtime sherry again. rolleyes.gif
Berkshirelad
QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Feb 23 2019, 07:40 PM) *

They should all be introduced to the twins Heckler & Koch.

And in an age of austerity, perhaps we should copy the Chinese and send the family the bill for the 9mm round...
je suis Charlie
QUOTE (Berkshirelad @ Feb 24 2019, 10:29 PM) *
They should all be introduced to the twins Heckler & Koch.

And in an age of austerity, perhaps we should copy the Chinese and send the family the bill for the 9mm round...

Is it too late for an airstrike?
Strafin
QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ Feb 24 2019, 11:34 PM) *
Is it too late for an airstrike?

I don't understand what happens in these countries that's so bad these "refugees" all want to come here...

TallDarkAndHandsome
I see Corbyn has blinked first. Guess that's the end of Labour north of Watford. At least he and his London cronies will be Ok. Spineless.
newres
QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Feb 25 2019, 07:33 PM) *
I see Corbyn has blinked first. Guess that's the end of Labour north of Watford. At least he and his London cronies will be Ok. Spineless.

Except that all polls now show Remain with a clear lead.
TallDarkAndHandsome
QUOTE (newres @ Feb 26 2019, 04:40 AM) *
Except that all polls now show Remain with a clear lead.

Polls? See Trump, our GE and original EU referendum.🤣
SirWilliam
QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Feb 26 2019, 08:39 AM) *
Polls? See Trump, our GE and original EU referendum.🤣

Not only have I never been asked my opinion I also do not know anyone who has been polled either. I see the "peoples vote" brigade were preaching to the converted down northbrook street the other day, but as they were not interested in the views of those who had differing ideas one concludes a vox pop is in the chocolate teapot category.
Strafin
QUOTE (SirWilliam @ Feb 26 2019, 08:58 AM) *
Not only have I never been asked my opinion I also do not know anyone who has been polled either. I see the "peoples vote" brigade were preaching to the converted down northbrook street the other day, but as they were not interested in the views of those who had differing ideas one concludes a vox pop is in the chocolate teapot category.

Why would they be? If you were drumming up support and growing a movement, you want to reach out to your supporters.
je suis Charlie
QUOTE (SirWilliam @ Feb 26 2019, 08:58 AM) *

Exactly, falls firmly into the "four legs good, two legs bad" camp of argument. Gather the faithful around you and tell them what they already believe.
newres
QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ Feb 26 2019, 11:17 AM) *
Exactly, falls firmly into the "four legs good, two legs bad" camp of argument. Gather the faithful around you and tell them what they already believe.

Ah yeah, but the sheep like Brexiters would swallow "four legs good, two legs better". Gullible.
SirWilliam
QUOTE (newres @ Feb 26 2019, 11:46 AM) *
Ah yeah, but the sheep like Brexiters would swallow "four legs good, two legs better". Gullible.

Why??? Surely the free thinkers are those who saw the way we were heading and see fit to change for good. The analogy that somehow sheep are dumb and those who voted leave are dumber is completely unsubstantiated as a scientific fact.
TallDarkAndHandsome
QUOTE (SirWilliam @ Feb 26 2019, 01:39 PM) *
Why??? Surely the free thinkers are those who saw the way we were heading and see fit to change for good. The analogy that somehow sheep are dumb and those who voted leave are dumber is completely unsubstantiated as a scientific fact.

Indeed the real sheep are the ones voting for the status quo (stay in the EU). The brexiteers have more vision and can see a life outside of the EU superstate.
newres
QUOTE (SirWilliam @ Feb 26 2019, 01:39 PM) *

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/polit...d-a7881441.html

https://www.theweek.co.uk/89378/fact-check-...ted-vote-remain
newres
QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Feb 26 2019, 01:59 PM) *
Indeed the real sheep are the ones voting for the status quo (stay in the EU). The brexiteers have more vision and can see a life outside of the EU superstate.

Vision? laugh.gif
je suis Charlie
QUOTE (newres @ Feb 26 2019, 02:36 PM) *

Except of course, anyone can conduct any study to come up with any conclusions. Bit like conducting a poll, ask the right questions, get the results you're looking for. Only the terminally dull actually believe them. Still, it was you who went out of your way to find them, so that speaks volumes.
newres
QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ Feb 26 2019, 02:58 PM) *
Except of course, anyone can conduct any study to come up with any conclusions. Bit like conducting a poll, ask the right questions, get the results you're looking for. Only the terminally dull actually believe them. Still, it was you who went out of your way to find them, so that speaks volumes.

There's nothing to believe. It's survey data. What you or I believe is an irrelevance.
Mr Brown
QUOTE (newres @ Feb 26 2019, 02:36 PM) *

I don't like to say this, but a detailled analysis presently underway, comes to a contrary conclusion. This looks across the piece focusing on what 'degree level education' really means in the UK. In essence, the way we implemented state comprehensive secondary education meant that the 1944 Act 'grammar, technical and secondary' separation were mixed meaning all pupils received the technical level - Teachers simply can't teach all levels in one class. In practical terms, that meant they have been taught just to accept base facts and not to question them. We see this by the well reported dumbing down of GCE / GCSE testing. Then, as the Government created a demand that at least 50% of students should go to university, a shortage of these institutes lead to the re-classification of most County Technical Colleges and Art Schools, without any increase in course standards. A perfect storm. An unintended consequence is the now vast number of younger people who simply accept what they have been taught to believe are absolutes in fact terms, the accuracy being underpinned simply by being from an official source faux or otherwise - sadly, these are the 'remain' young voter. Similarly, there are a significant number of older people, who were educated before this dumbing down had time to take effect, and these seem to be in the exit camp. This analysis is, of course, deeply disturbing to those guiding our education policy as well as the Government, not least because it calls into sharp focus the worth of student loans, let alone the billions pumped into state education. It's fairly easy these days to get a international comparisons, just one example demonstrates. India has dramatically improved it's attainment levels since independence, both secondary and university. Hence, very little IT coding or indeed development is done these days without heavy Indian involvement. So, perhaps this is why we are now in a bit of a mess with Brexit. From my own perspective, it also tells another message. That is, much as I'd want to exit the EU, sadly, we appear to have lost the management and operational capability to stand on our own. In essence. we have created a workforce that has to be told what to do but none educated sufficiently to do the telling. A dilemma indeed.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.