Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Second referendum
Newbury Today Forum > Categories > Random Rants
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34
TallDarkAndHandsome
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50361025

Just the start. The cost of borrowing will spiral. We will become an economic basket case. Spending money you dont have never ends well. Still... who cares Luxury Communism now! **** tomorrow! 👍😂
SirWilliam
QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Nov 9 2019, 02:10 PM) *
Corbyn would finish this Country. He makes unelectable leaders like Foot and Kinnock look moderates. He would take away freedom of choice through central big government policy. I honestly think some of the brainwashed don't have a clue what will happen when Brian drain and Wealth flight occurs. They will be ******. But I still say it is the peoples choice so if it does occur they will only have themselves to blame. I certainly wont be marching or protesting, as it is called democracy. #reapwhatyousow

Like you say it's the choice of the people, which only empathises all that is wrong with democracy. Wonder how many will hold their hands up when the country asks who were the idiots who elected this person? I think the least of our problems will be economic imploding but like you say it's the people's choice.
newres
QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Nov 9 2019, 05:21 PM) *
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50361025

Just the start. The cost of borrowing will spiral. We will become an economic basket case. Spending money you dont have never ends well. Still... who cares Luxury Communism now! **** tomorrow! 👍😂

Under the Tories our credit rating has been downgraded twice and following the Brexit mess faces being downgraded again but don’t let things like facts into your narrative.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.u...siness-50361025
Biker1
With reference to the long lost title of this thread...............
How's THAT for a second referendum?? laugh.gif
Turin Machine
QUOTE (Biker1 @ Dec 15 2019, 08:45 AM) *
With reference to the long lost title of this thread...............
How's THAT for a second referendum?? laugh.gif

They wanted a people's vote and that's what they got. Labour cast into the political wilderness for a generation.
Andy Capp
Thank the Lord we’ve been protected from Corbyn and his incompetence. From 2010 to 2019 we have...

25,000 fewer police.
20,000 fewer prison officers.
10,000 fewer border officials.
10,000 fewer firefighters.
10,000 fewer medical professionals.
25,000 fewer bed spaces for mental illness.
80% of the 5.3 million self employed live below the poverty line.
35% of self employed only earn £100 a month.
25% cuts for our disabled community.
80% cuts to Mobility allowance.
Increase of 50% in hate crimes.
Increase of knife crime by 150% to 22,000 per year.
Life expectancy down 3 years.
NHS satisfaction level at lowest recorded rate.
Council home building down 90%.
200k social homes lost since 2010.
Zero starter homes built.
200k social homes lost.
100,000 increase on the council home waiting list since 2010.
36,000 teachers have left teaching.
1,000 sure start centres closed.
780 libraries closed.
700 football pitches closed.
Food bank use up 2,400%.
Homelessness up 1,000%.
Rough sleeping up 1,200%
35% of U.K. kids live in poverty.
Student fees up 300%.
Student debt has risen 150%.
National debt has risen from £850billion to £2.25trillion.
GDP fallen to -0.1%.
GBP fallen by circa 15% versus EUR and USD.
25-30% cuts to all govt departments.
25-30% cuts to all councils.
Turin Machine
QUOTE (newres @ Aug 6 2018, 06:58 AM) *

Err, no, no it's not.
Mr Brown
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Dec 15 2019, 11:32 AM) *
Thank the Lord we’ve been protected from Corbyn and his incompetence. From 2010 to 2019 we have...

25,000 fewer police.
20,000 fewer prison officers.
10,000 fewer border officials.
10,000 fewer firefighters.
10,000 fewer medical professionals.
25% cuts for our disabled community.
80% cuts to Mobility allowance.
200k social homes lost since 2010.
Zero starter homes built.
200k social homes lost.
36,000 teachers have left teaching.
1,000 sure start centres closed.
780 libraries closed.
700 football pitches closed.
Food bank use up 2,400%.
Homelessness up 1,000%.
Rough sleeping up 1,200%
Student fees up 300%.
GDP fallen to -0.1%.
25-30% cuts to all govt departments.
25-30% cuts to all councils.

The fact that we are still functioning reasonably well means this could be a tribute to the Government stamping out unnecessary expenditure by Labour and LibDem local government.
Andy Capp
QUOTE (Mr Brown @ Dec 15 2019, 01:30 PM) *
The fact that we are still functioning reasonably well means this could be a tribute to the Government stamping out unnecessary expenditure by Labour and LibDem local government.

Yes if you regard...

Food bank use up 2,400%.
Homelessness up 1,000%.
Rough sleeping up 1,200%
GDP fallen to -0.1%.

...functioning due to the removal of unnecessary expenditure.
Mr Brown
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Dec 15 2019, 08:24 PM) *
Yes if you regard...

But the present professional view is that mental illness is best managed 'in the community'. So the number of beds (places) is reduced.
What is the 'poverty line'? The real definition used to be that you couldn't earn enough to feed yourself above sustainence level let alone your family.

Umm, really? Has HM Revenue enough staff to investigate.

Hate crime is very new and in some quarters the concentration of effort here is seem as bringing the law itself into disrepute.

Granted, but a consequence to tighter gun control. The significant increase is arguably exacerbated by a feeble sentencing policy. Some might also say by lack of police effort caused by the issue above.

Could this be because of obesity and over indulgence in alcohol? These are symptoms of a well off society.

Really an intangible, let's face it, 'customer surveys' aren't really an exact science. The real measure ought to be clear up rates.

Not at all surprised. As the actual provision of housing is not a Council role, its odd they keep lists of potential tenants.

Food bank use up 2,400%.
Food Banks are charities; use has increased ever since they started. The criteria for use have also been widened. Aldi and the other discount food stores have also been growing significantly, ironically amongst the rich too. Everyone likes a bargain.

Homelessness up 1,000%.
Is living in a hostel really homelessness?

Rough sleeping up 1,200%
This has been a spotlight issue and real numbers are now available. Ironically, they show that there is a level of rough sleeping that is intractable - because the rough sleeper is not willing to stop for various reasons.

Again, what is the definition of 'poverty'?

Yes, because Universities have increased fees. Simple answer; market forces! I think we also are beginning to realise that not all kids need a University education. An apprenticeship as a plumber trumps a degree in golf course management.

Yes, thats what we've been trying to cure.

GDP fallen to -0.1%.
Yes, the faffing around about Brexit has done that.

The protective policies of other nations in the EU had been causing us damage for some time, hence it was essential to leave.

...functioning due to the removal of unnecessary expenditure.

The past three years has taught me not to believe these one liner 'facts' so I've put my cynical lenses in and added a response under each!
Andy Capp
QUOTE (Mr Brown @ Dec 15 2019, 09:56 PM) *
The past three years has taught me not to believe these one liner 'facts' so I've put my cynical lenses in and added a response under each!

Many replies didn’t actually address the point and some merely questions. Like I said, if you see those points as functioning despite the removal of unnecessary expenditure, then you are correct.
Mr Brown
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Dec 15 2019, 11:58 PM) *
Many replies didn’t actually address the point and some merely questions. Like I said, if you see those points as functioning despite the removal of unnecessary expenditure, then you are correct.

Essentially then, I can't see the purpose of the long list of unrelated statements. I'd certainly agree that recent Tory administrations have taken steps to rapidly stop the ship of state sinking simply by strictly disciplined spending following the global economic and are now set fair to move us forward again. And yes, letting Captain Corbyn and his chums anywhere near the helm doesn't bear thinking about.
Andy Capp
QUOTE (Mr Brown @ Dec 16 2019, 06:21 AM) *
Essentially then, I can't see the purpose of the long list of unrelated statements. I'd certainly agree that recent Tory administrations have taken steps to rapidly stop the ship of state sinking simply by strictly disciplined spending following the global economic and are now set fair to move us forward again. And yes, letting Captain Corbyn and his chums anywhere near the helm doesn't bear thinking about.

In it together.
Turin Machine
Anyhoo, it turns out it wasn't dislike of Corbyn, lack of enthusiasm for living under a Marxist state, fear for the economy or even distrust of their threat to security that caused them to lose. Nope, it was the BBC. J M concluded "we'll have to see what can be done about that". laugh.gif way to go! BBC? It's the gulag for you.
SirWilliam
QUOTE (Turin Machine @ Dec 16 2019, 12:50 PM) *
Anyhoo, it turns out it wasn't dislike of Corbyn, lack of enthusiasm for living under a Marxist state, fear for the economy or even distrust of their threat to security that caused them to lose. Nope, it was the BBC. J M concluded "we'll have to see what can be done about that". laugh.gif way to go! BBC? It's the gulag for you.

And there I was thinking the BBC left wing bias was, at times, nauseating. The character of an individual can best be evaluated by their response to being beaten fair and square. Time to man up Mr Corbyn.
Andy Capp
QUOTE (SirWilliam @ Dec 16 2019, 01:09 PM) *
And there I was thinking the BBC left wing bias was, at times, nauseating. The character of an individual can best be evaluated by their response to being beaten fair and square. Time to man up Mr Corbyn.

I’m not sure he was beaten fair and square; the press were mainly against him, but he was always never going to win over over the electorate; him and his shadow cabinet.
Turin Machine
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Dec 16 2019, 09:33 PM) *
I’m not sure he was beaten fair and square; the press were mainly against him, but he was always never going to win over over the electorate; him and his shadow cabinet.

To be fair, I'm sure that for every instance of media bias you can supply I could possibly give you two instances of media giving the opposite view.
MontyPython
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Dec 16 2019, 09:33 PM) *

I thought they were also critical of Johnson, the one who seemed to get off lightly was Swinson and she wanted to ignore democracy! But perhaps that is also a case of my bias in what I saw based on my feelings.
James_Trinder
QUOTE (MontyPython @ Dec 17 2019, 09:44 AM) *
I thought they were also critical of Johnson, the one who seemed to get off lightly was Swinson and she wanted to ignore democracy! But perhaps that is also a case of my bias in what I saw based on my feelings.

Boris Johnson would have been absolutely destroyed if he had participated in either the BBC or ITV one-to-one interviews so in my opinion he is the one who got off lightly.
TallDarkAndHandsome
QUOTE (James_Trinder @ Dec 17 2019, 01:40 PM) *
Boris Johnson would have been absolutely destroyed if he had participated in either the BBC or ITV one-to-one interviews so in my opinion he is the one who got off lightly.

He knew if he said nothing in the campaign apart from "Get Brexit Done"..that a big majority would follow.
Simples.
SirWilliam
Simple question to the left wing element of this little forum-

"Has a Labour government ever done ANYTHING for the working class? With the possible exception of the post war Attlee regime the answer is an emphatic no, which is why the electorate is at last throwing off this silly family voting tradition and using their eyes.
James_Trinder
QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Dec 17 2019, 03:46 PM) *
He knew if he said nothing in the campaign apart from "Get Brexit Done"..that a big majority would follow.
Simples.

Yes, he did exactly the right thing for himself and the Conservatives. He still got off extremely lightly compared to the other party leaders though.
Mr Brown
QUOTE (James_Trinder @ Dec 17 2019, 08:45 PM) *
Yes, he did exactly the right thing for himself and the Conservatives. He still got off extremely lightly compared to the other party leaders though.

He did the right thing for the people who have now demanded Brexit twice.

Biker1
QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Dec 17 2019, 04:46 PM) *
Simple.

Corrected for you! tongue.gif
Turin Machine
QUOTE (James_Trinder @ Dec 17 2019, 08:45 PM) *

He played a good hand, a better hand. He knew he was onto a loser with the Neil interview, he also knew the others were too so he played to his strengths and let the others get clawed instead. To win anything you need to play to your strengths. I look forward to at least ten years under his leadership.
Andy Capp
QUOTE (SirWilliam @ Dec 17 2019, 08:06 PM) *
Simple question to the left wing element of this little forum-

"Has a Labour government ever done ANYTHING for the working class? With the possible exception of the post war Attlee regime the answer is an emphatic no, which is why the electorate is at last throwing off this silly family voting tradition and using their eyes.

Not that Im a Labour fan, but on top of the Attlee years...

Barbara Castle introduced the Equal Pay Act of 1970. New labour introduced the National Minimum Wage.

Labour also oversaw the decriminalisation of homosexuality (compared to the Tories attempt at Section 28), legislation to outlaw racial discrimination, the establishment of the Open University, Civil Partnerships, the Equality Act, the Human Rights Act and legislating for equality of opportunity for all, cancelled up to 100 per cent of debt for the world’s poorest countries and brought about the world’s first Climate Change Act. of course some of the above would have been cross-party.
je suis Charlie
Wcmut?
https://youtu.be/f2zJ8vaB5jo
This laugh.gif
SirWilliam
QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ Dec 30 2019, 01:20 AM) *

Not only very funny but pretty accurate. laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
je suis Charlie
Just two days left,. sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif , flying out tomorrow, wonder if they'll let me in again? Hmmm. biggrin.gif
TallDarkAndHandsome
QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ Jan 29 2020, 07:34 PM) *
Just two days left,. sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif , flying out tomorrow, wonder if they'll let me in again? Hmmm. biggrin.gif

Depends where you are going...you may be in quarantine for 2 weeks when you get back...🤣🤣
je suis Charlie
QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Jan 29 2020, 09:42 PM) *
Depends where you are going...you may be in quarantine for 2 weeks when you get back...🤣🤣

Just Dusseldorf.
je suis Charlie
5.4.3.2.1. and we're out! 🥳🥳🥳
TallDarkAndHandsome
QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ Jan 31 2020, 11:00 PM) *
5.4.3.2.1. and we're out! 🥳🥳🥳

Told u it wud be a disaster. Already got a plague (Corona)
je suis Charlie
Disaster!
8.14am update: House price rise credited to Brexit

"UK house prices accelerated to its strongest levels since July 2018 this month, according to Nationwide Building Society.

Values rose 2.3 percent from a year earlier, and gained 0.3 percent from January alone.

Mark Harris, chief executive of mortgage broker SPF Private Clients, said: "There has been a shift in sentiment among buyers and sellers following the election and more certainty with regards to Brexit.

"Activity has noticeably picked up and with all lenders keen to do more lending this year, there should be plenty of attractive deals to attract buyers. There is more positivity than we have seen in a while, which bodes well for the traditionally busier spring market."
TallDarkAndHandsome
QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ Feb 28 2020, 12:41 PM) *
Disaster!
8.14am update: House price rise credited to Brexit

"UK house prices accelerated to its strongest levels since July 2018 this month, according to Nationwide Building Society.

Values rose 2.3 percent from a year earlier, and gained 0.3 percent from January alone.

Mark Harris, chief executive of mortgage broker SPF Private Clients, said: "There has been a shift in sentiment among buyers and sellers following the election and more certainty with regards to Brexit.

"Activity has noticeably picked up and with all lenders keen to do more lending this year, there should be plenty of attractive deals to attract buyers. There is more positivity than we have seen in a while, which bodes well for the traditionally busier spring market."

House prices will crash when all the old folk cart it due to Covid 19 and the market is flooded with empty properties...
SirWilliam
QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Feb 28 2020, 01:03 PM) *
House prices will crash when all the old folk cart it due to Covid 19 and the market is flooded with empty properties...

So like the chaps in red braces say, "SELL SELL SELL". In the tv footage this morning I saw a house in Yorkshire with a "Sold" notice outside 3 feet in water, so a premium on properties on top of a hill.
Knew there was a reason why I bought mine.
je suis Charlie
Brexit.

BBC News - Nissan backs UK plant but protests erupt in Spain
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52829348
je suis Charlie
How very..... Labour.

Daily Mail: Diane Abbott's son 'had crystal meth delivered to £1.2m home'.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-85...ourt-hears.html
SirWilliam
QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ Jul 30 2020, 07:58 AM) *
How very..... Labour.

Daily Mail: Diane Abbott's son 'had crystal meth delivered to £1.2m home'.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-85...ourt-hears.html

Part of me feels a heart felt sympathy for the Mother, but if you are going to be in public office then ensure the closet is clear of bones. How the boy ever got a job in the diplomatic corp is beyond me, but as are most things now. rolleyes.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.