Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Second referendum
Newbury Today Forum > Categories > Random Rants
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34
James_Trinder
QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ Sep 4 2019, 05:40 PM) *
James, tell you what, I'll donate £50.00 to a charity of your choice if the Tories lose this seat in the next GE. Fair?

I can't see it happening myself. I was just trying to translate the meaning of another post for you. If it does happen, I would be very happy for you to donate £50 to the Launchpad charity (http://www.launchpadreading.org.uk) though.
MontyPython
Perhaps we need the Brexit Party to disrupt every EU meeting at Vote against everything to help us get out.

What else to the politicians need to deliver the democratically decision to leave? A Civil war a new Guy Fawkes, and politicians wonder why they get insulted.
newres
QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Sep 4 2019, 11:44 AM) *
I doubt he does. BUT his company benefits directly from CAP. So it is a conflict of interest. And all this rubbish about caring about the poorest of his constituents he has been spouting... yeah.. of course...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mirror.co....ter-3786578.amp

I'm not a fan. And there is a conflict of interest I accept. But I don't believe it's behind his decision. He's voted for the withdrawal agreement each time don't forget.
je suis Charlie
QUOTE (James_Trinder @ Sep 4 2019, 07:34 PM) *
I can't see it happening myself. I was just trying to translate the meaning of another post for you. If it does happen, I would be very happy for you to donate £50 to the Launchpad charity (http://www.launchpadreading.org.uk) though.

No problems, and thanks for the much needed translation from gibberish into English.
James_Trinder
QUOTE (newres @ Sep 5 2019, 09:53 AM) *
I'm not a fan. And there is a conflict of interest I accept. But I don't believe it's behind his decision. He's voted for the withdrawal agreement each time don't forget.

Agreed. I think that on this occasion he was a bit torn but ultimately chose to do what he thought was the right thing and put the interests of the country before his party and himself so I applaud him for that. I'm not saying that he is perfect though. For example, when he campaigned to get the last train from Reading to Newbury restored, that was blatantly so that he could get back from Parliament himself after late night sessions etc. However, I can't complain too much about that because I was working in London at the time and therefore the restoration of that service was very beneficial for me personally as well.
SirWilliam
QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Sep 3 2019, 10:33 PM) *
Benyon is no longer a Conservative MP. Was always going to vote for staying in the EU. Didn't want to lose his CAP payments. At least he won't be the Tory MP for Newbury anymore.

Wouldn't want to put my pension on that one. I have to say in his defence that though I am at odds with a lot of his views I do admire his principles and would probably vote for him if he stood as an independant. Dear Boris on the other hand looks as though he could well outdo George Canning in the time at top job especially if the tories lose a GE either before or shortly after 31st October. The fact that his brother is now getting into the "political celeb in front of media" syndrome says more about the family than is healthy.
It looks increasingly likely that we will shuffle back to Barnier pulling on our respective forelocks to ask for more time and eventually stay in limbo until someone at the end of the century discovers that brexit is still outstanding. One thing is for certain no one will ever suggest asking the great unwashed a simple question ever again. rolleyes.gif
James_Trinder
QUOTE (SirWilliam @ Sep 5 2019, 12:32 PM) *
One thing is for certain no one will ever suggest asking the great unwashed a simple question ever again. rolleyes.gif

I don't believe in referenda myself because you elect a MP to make these sort of decisions on your behalf. Also, it was a simple question at first glance but both the reasoning behind a vote by an individual and the ramifications of implementing the overall result of this referendum are far more complex than anybody would care to have imagined at the time.
SirWilliam
QUOTE (James_Trinder @ Sep 5 2019, 01:42 PM) *
I don't believe in referenda myself because you elect a MP to make these sort of decisions on your behalf. Also, it was a simple question at first glance but both the reasoning behind a vote by an individual and the ramifications of implementing the overall result of this referendum are far more complex than anybody would care to have imagined at the time.

As one Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill famously remarked, "The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.” And I very much doubt to many would argue. wink.gif
je suis Charlie
Yay! No Brexit. Clownshoes has to resign.
SirWilliam
With the limp dems gaining disenfranchised MPs like a schoolboy collects stamps it is only a question of time before they have enough to form a government and our lover's tiff with europe will be resolved. Boris on the other hand has upset the environmental lobby by the suggestion of polluting the nearest ditch. Silly person!!!! tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif
TallDarkAndHandsome
QUOTE (SirWilliam @ Sep 8 2019, 09:34 AM) *
With the limp dems gaining disenfranchised MPs like a schoolboy collects stamps it is only a question of time before they have enough to form a government and our lover's tiff with europe will be resolved. Boris on the other hand has upset the environmental lobby by the suggestion of polluting the nearest ditch. Silly person!!!! tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif

As parliament is ungovernable and we have the real chance of civil unrest, it would not be unreasonable to deploy the Civil Contingencies Act tomorrow. This wonderful bit of legislation introduced by Mr Tony Blair on 2004 allows the government of the day to call a national emergency, close down parliament and deploy troops on the street for 30 days.🤣
SirWilliam
QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Sep 8 2019, 06:59 PM) *
As parliament is ungovernable and we have the real chance of civil unrest, it would not be unreasonable to deploy the Civil Contingencies Act tomorrow. This wonderful bit of legislation introduced by Mr Tony Blair on 2004 allows the government of the day to call a national emergency, close down parliament and deploy troops on the street for 30 days.🤣

Always thought he was a clever bunny rolleyes.gif Off to Sainsbury's, (other supermarkets are available), in order to stock up on essentials such as lager and chicken nuggets. wink.gif Makes one wonder how they would cope in a "real" crisis.
And the Aussies have once again shown us how to play cricket. angry.gif angry.gif angry.gif
newres
QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Sep 8 2019, 06:59 PM) *

A few hundred football hooligans will be easy enough to control. That's actually what we're talking about. Whichever way it goes, there will be demonstrations.
SirWilliam
QUOTE (newres @ Sep 9 2019, 03:45 PM) *
A few hundred football hooligans will be easy enough to control. That's actually what we're talking about. Whichever way it goes, there will be demonstrations.

Any excuse for a punch up. Anyone heard from David Cameron lately?
je suis Charlie
QUOTE (SirWilliam @ Sep 9 2019, 05:20 PM) *
Any excuse for a punch up. Anyone heard from David Cameron lately?

Keeping his head down. Still at least Mr 'impartial' Bercows off.
TallDarkAndHandsome
QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ Sep 9 2019, 07:45 PM) *
Keeping his head down. Still at least Mr 'impartial' Bercows off.

And his poor constituents actually get to have a vote for the first time in 10 years at a GE.
je suis Charlie
What a shambles, an utter disgrace and an insult to everyone.
SirWilliam
I see the "chosen one" is still astride the garden fence in that in a GE he will propose another referendum to decide our future relationship with europe. Where the F**K has the man been for the last 3 years? I tell you we will still be at this point when my g/children are drawing their pension.
TallDarkAndHandsome
QUOTE (SirWilliam @ Sep 10 2019, 06:45 PM) *
I see the "chosen one" is still astride the garden fence in that in a GE he will propose another referendum to decide our future relationship with europe. Where the F**K has the man been for the last 3 years? I tell you we will still be at this point when my g/children are drawing their pension.

As for Ms Thornberry. I'll get a deal and then recommend we remain in a referendum. The art of the deal she ain't got.🤣🤣🤣

Unelectable. Lammy, Corbyn, Abbott, McDonnell, Thornberry... the list is endless. How is it possible for an opposition to be languishing so far behind in the polls after the calamity of the current incumbents?
je suis Charlie
QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Sep 10 2019, 08:32 PM) *
As for Ms Thornberry. I'll get a deal and then recommend we remain in a referendum. The art of the deal she ain't got.🤣🤣🤣

Unelectable. Lammy, Corbyn, Abbott, McDonnell, Thornberry... the list is endless. How is it possible for an opposition to be languishing so far behind in the polls after the calamity of the current incumbents?

Because they're toxic, and too stoopid to realise it. Speshul, the lot of them.
SirWilliam

Yet the activists still regard JC as the answer to their collective prayers. Problem is that both parties have "traditional" supporters who vote as their fathers, and their father's fathers, did irrespective of the political landscape. See the irish are now kicking off again for reasons unfathomable which makes me wonder if it's not time to return to totalitarianism and turn the palace of westminster into flats.
newres

The problem is that in a referendum there has to be a deal to be voted on. You can’t vote on no deal because those campaigning for no deal will argue that it’s just a step to a deal and we’ll end up in the same position- arguing what form of deal we accept from our WTO position.
SirWilliam
QUOTE (newres @ Sep 11 2019, 08:21 PM) *
The problem is that in a referendum there has to be a deal to be voted on. You can’t vote on no deal because those campaigning for no deal will argue that it’s just a step to a deal and we’ll end up in the same position- arguing what form of deal we accept from our WTO position.

Forgive me if I am wrong but did we not have a deal as orchestrated by Mother Theresa? Now with the EU in the driving seat surely it is that, no deal, or remain. The opposition can howl all they like but it seems pretty straightforward to me. The reason it has become protracted is the majority of MP's wish to remain and will do their utmost to delay the process.
TallDarkAndHandsome
QUOTE (SirWilliam @ Sep 12 2019, 02:04 PM) *
Forgive me if I am wrong but did we not have a deal as orchestrated by Mother Theresa? Now with the EU in the driving seat surely it is that, no deal, or remain. The opposition can howl all they like but it seems pretty straightforward to me. The reason it has become protracted is the majority of MP's wish to remain and will do their utmost to delay the process.

We need to leave as I have shorted the pound.🤣
SirWilliam
QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Sep 12 2019, 06:42 PM) *
We need to leave as I have shorted the pound.🤣

There will be winners; there will be losers; cool.gif
Strafin
QUOTE (SirWilliam @ Sep 12 2019, 02:04 PM) *

Pretty sure it was Rees Mogg and his band of right wing nutjobs who scuppered May's deal...
TallDarkAndHandsome
QUOTE (Strafin @ Sep 13 2019, 02:33 PM) *
Pretty sure it was Rees Mogg and his band of right wing nutjobs who scuppered May's deal...

Personally I think the term right wing nut jobs should only be used when referring to exremist groups like the EDL. But anyone right of centre is now a "right wing nut job" eh?

je suis Charlie
QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Sep 13 2019, 02:39 PM) *
Personally I think the term right wing nut jobs should only be used when referring to exremist groups like the EDL. But anyone right of centre is now a "right wing nut job" eh?

According to the lefty rabble of Marxist suckers of life from the economy. The rabble alliance.
je suis Charlie
Meanwhile, after enduring years of corduroy jezz wibbling on about needing an election this is why he's now hiding under a rock.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/s...political-chaos

laugh.gif
SirWilliam
QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ Sep 15 2019, 11:58 AM) *
Meanwhile, after enduring years of corduroy jezz wibbling on about needing an election this is why he's now hiding under a rock.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/s...political-chaos

laugh.gif

Next thing we will hear is that the poor bunny is having therapy owing to a feeling of isolation. See the limp (not so) dems will campaign on a remain ticket which will, if nothing else, be interesting as to how much of the "traditional" left vote they pick up.

Meanwhile Boris has welcomed the opinions of his former boss. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
James_Trinder
QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Sep 13 2019, 02:39 PM) *

No, just the ERG and such like.
TallDarkAndHandsome
QUOTE (James_Trinder @ Sep 15 2019, 05:56 PM) *
No, just the ERG and such like.

Define why the ERG are right wing nut jobs.
je suis Charlie
I really can't see how he's going to manage this, I really can't. It looks increasingly like he's going to crash out then get that reversed in the lawcourts and be forced to resign.
James_Trinder
QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Sep 15 2019, 06:38 PM) *
Define why the ERG are right wing nut jobs.

For example, the connection between Jacob Rees-Mogg and the AfD party in Germany:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/a...ays-david-lammy

TallDarkAndHandsome
QUOTE (James_Trinder @ Sep 16 2019, 12:59 PM) *
For example, the connection between Jacob Rees-Mogg and the AfD party in Germany:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/a...ays-david-lammy

Lammy is a left wing racist nut job if Mogg is a right wing nut job. Lammy wins because of his hatred of the white english.
je suis Charlie
My most enduring memory of Pammy is him standing in front of a camera bewailing the Tories austerity policy and bemoaning the lack of police;
"You never see any police around here, they're just not around, it's the Tories fault you can't find a police officer here anymore"
Whilst just over his left shoulder, in a hi Vis was, you guessed it, a police officer.

He's like the other one, if you're not a black lefty you're obviously a racist nazi. A dialogue to nowhere.
James_Trinder
QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Sep 16 2019, 03:05 PM) *
Lammy is a left wing racist nut job if Mogg is a right wing nut job. Lammy wins because of his hatred of the white english.

I'm inclined to agree with you but he is nevertheless spot on about the ERG. Actually, I don't think that anybody wins because neither extreme is healthy in my humble opinion.
TallDarkAndHandsome
QUOTE (James_Trinder @ Sep 16 2019, 06:11 PM) *
I'm inclined to agree with you but he is nevertheless spot on about the ERG. Actually, I don't think that anybody wins because neither extreme is healthy in my humble opinion.

I quite agree. The left is now very left and would be a disaster economically for the Country. The Conservatives have gone all in to the right to try and negate the Farage effect.

As for the Liberals... Swinson is a loon to want to revoke Article 50 without any form of vote. Does she think she's the script writer for Dallas when they did the Bobby Ewing shower scene?🤣🤣🤣🤣
SirWilliam
QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Sep 16 2019, 06:46 PM) *
I quite agree. The left is now very left and would be a disaster economically for the Country. The Conservatives have gone all in to the right to try and negate the Farage effect.

As for the Liberals... Swinson is a loon to want to revoke Article 50 without any form of vote. Does she think she's the script writer for Dallas when they did the Bobby Ewing shower scene?🤣🤣🤣🤣

Compared to the limp's credibility as a future government in waiting the Texan soap seems quite feasible. Least the whinging remoaners now have a champion. rolleyes.gif
Mr Brown
So, the Panto continues.

The staged set up by the little PM for Radio Lux falls flat on its face. Couldn't even afford to pay for a decent rentamob. Well, he displayed enough theatrics to warrant a place in the EU Amateur Dramatics Society.

Loved the BBC comment as Boris left, claiming he looked cowed and was glad his grilling was over. Err, better continuity needed lads, video made Boris look like a School Inspector who'd just given the Head some bad news.

Worth every penny
SirWilliam
QUOTE (Mr Brown @ Sep 17 2019, 09:35 AM) *
So, the Panto continues.

The staged set up by the little PM for Radio Lux falls flat on its face. Couldn't even afford to pay for a decent rentamob. Well, he displayed enough theatrics to warrant a place in the EU Amateur Dramatics Society.

Loved the BBC comment as Boris left, claiming he looked cowed and was glad his grilling was over. Err, better continuity needed lads, video made Boris look like a School Inspector who'd just given the Head some bad news.

Worth every penny

Great that we now have a PM that is not trying to please all of the people some, let alone all, of the time. We need to applaud him for that if nothing else.
Mr Brown
QUOTE (SirWilliam @ Sep 17 2019, 03:02 PM) *
Great that we now have a PM that is not trying to please all of the people some, let alone all, of the time. We need to applaud him for that if nothing else.

Wholly agree - real leadership at last.
SirWilliam
QUOTE (Mr Brown @ Sep 18 2019, 06:51 AM) *
Wholly agree - real leadership at last.

Well that's 2 supporters........15 million to go. laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
TallDarkAndHandsome
QUOTE (SirWilliam @ Sep 18 2019, 11:55 AM) *
Well that's 2 supporters........15 million to go. laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Make that 3. With Steptoe wanting to take us back to the 1970s and Swinson deciding thats only Remainers count what choice do you have???
SirWilliam
QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Sep 18 2019, 12:45 PM) *
Make that 3. With Steptoe wanting to take us back to the 1970s and Swinson deciding thats only Remainers count what choice do you have???

Green? laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
newres
QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Sep 18 2019, 12:45 PM) *

If he's got you from the Brexit Co it's job jobbed.
TallDarkAndHandsome
QUOTE (newres @ Sep 18 2019, 02:44 PM) *
If he's got you from the Brexit Co it's job jobbed.

When's the election? Hopefully we get a Gammon faced raging Brexiteer in Newbury who burns the EU flag and spits on Brussells.🤣🤣🤣🤣
newres
QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Sep 18 2019, 04:34 PM) *
When's the election? Hopefully we get a Gammon faced raging Brexiteer in Newbury who burns the EU flag and spits on Brussells.🤣🤣🤣🤣

I think if he manages to do that from Newbury he should be knighted. More realistically he’ll just foam at the mouth like the rest.

On a serious point though, I imagine the Lib Dem’s will take this seat.
TallDarkAndHandsome
QUOTE (newres @ Sep 18 2019, 06:35 PM) *
I think if he manages to do that from Newbury he should be knighted. More realistically he’ll just foam at the mouth like the rest.

On a serious point though, I imagine the Lib Dem’s will take this seat.

Bit sexist. Might be an Anne Widdecombe type.🤣
je suis Charlie
This is Tory country, thank God.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.