Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Isn't WBC wonderful?
Newbury Today Forum > Categories > Newbury News
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Berkshirelad
I have today received a letter from WBC about paying an extra £50/year to have my green bin emptied of garden waste from 3rd September.

I make the following points (in no particular order):-

1) The website referred to in the letter to either subscribe or obtain answers to FAQ doesn't work they have started it www. when they should have used info. Use the link in the letter simply results in a not found response.

2) The main website still lists 01635 42400 as the main switchboard number - despite this being changed to 01635 551111. Not even a automated transfer is set up. Just a snarky message about the change.

3) It also clearly stated in the FAQ that even if you leave the area (or worse, die), there is no refund proportional or otherwise - I'm not sure that a commercial company would get away with this.

4) I will not be succumbing to this extortion (small amount or not, it is extortion) and having to find it a single payment may not be easy for anybody on a fixed or low income. Any garden waste will simply go into the black bin I guess...
TallDarkAndHandsome
QUOTE (Berkshirelad @ Aug 1 2018, 11:14 PM) *
I have today received a letter from WBC about paying an extra £50/year to have my green bin emptied of garden waste from 3rd September.

I make the following points (in no particular order):-

1) The website referred to in the letter to either subscribe or obtain answers to FAQ doesn't work they have started it www. when they should have used info. Use the link in the letter simply results in a not found response.

2) The main website still lists 01635 42400 as the main switchboard number - despite this being changed to 01635 551111. Not even a automated transfer is set up. Just a snarky message about the change.

3) It also clearly stated in the FAQ that even if you leave the area (or worse, die), there is no refund proportional or otherwise - I'm not sure that a commercial company would get away with this.

4) I will not be succumbing to this extortion (small amount or not, it is extortion) and having to find it a single payment may not be easy for anybody on a fixed or low income. Any garden waste will simply go into the black bin I guess...

You would have thought the extra x thousand homes on the racecouse that must be generating millions of extra pounds in council tax would cover it. But hey I guess they must have built schools and doctors surgeries to cope with the extra demand....oh....
newres
QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Aug 2 2018, 08:39 AM) *
You would have thought the extra x thousand homes on the racecouse that must be generating millions of extra pounds in council tax would cover it. But hey I guess they must have built schools and doctors surgeries to cope with the extra demand....oh....

The extra thousands on the racecourse does bring in extra revenue, but it also brings in more people. rolleyes.gif
Strafin
fly tip. It's green waste it won't hurt anyone and it's the only way to send a message.
TallDarkAndHandsome
QUOTE (Strafin @ Aug 2 2018, 10:05 AM) *
fly tip. It's green waste it won't hurt anyone and it's the only way to send a message.

Lots of people will be doing this. Or putting green waste in someones bim who has paid.
SirWilliam
QUOTE (Strafin @ Aug 2 2018, 10:05 AM) *

One wonders how the law stands on tipping "garden" waste? Like you say it's not going to cause damage and is no different to the council leaving the grass cuttings behind. The one that tickled me was that we are retaining the green bin for food waste but will not have it emptied should we add green stuff. In other words I can put my peelings in but not an uncooked potato.
Wake me up when common sense returns. rolleyes.gif
On the edge
Well, when we were kids, Dad kept all his prunings and cuttings in a heap until November 5, then with the neighbours, we'd build a collective bonfire on a bit of waste ground in the middle of the estate. Us kids happy with fireworks and baked spuds, Mum's happy because no tea to get, dads happy, nice blaze and a good few pints of home brew. Fun when the blue lights showed up and squirted water, but a day or so later Council came and removed debris and raked over what was left. job done!
SirWilliam
QUOTE (On the edge @ Aug 2 2018, 04:58 PM) *
Well, when we were kids, Dad kept all his prunings and cuttings in a heap until November 5, then with the neighbours, we'd build a collective bonfire on a bit of waste ground in the middle of the estate. Us kids happy with fireworks and baked spuds, Mum's happy because no tea to get, dads happy, nice blaze and a good few pints of home brew. Fun when the blue lights showed up and squirted water, but a day or so later Council came and removed debris and raked over what was left. job done!

So you're suggesting that we pile up all our collective green waste in a convenient spot, say WBC's car park, and on a cold November night we chuck a match on it, after dowsing with a few gallons of 4 star, and await the fire brigade? This could catch on you know.
TallDarkAndHandsome
QUOTE (SirWilliam @ Aug 2 2018, 07:52 PM) *
So you're suggesting that we pile up all our collective green waste in a convenient spot, say WBC's car park, and on a cold November night we chuck a match on it, after dowsing with a few gallons of 4 star, and await the fire brigade? This could catch on you know.

We could make effigies of some of the eejits that came up with this nonsense and dance around the flames...
betsy
The NWN says that West Berkshire Council consulted with the residents? Does anyone know anyone who was consulted. Thought not!!
Cognosco
QUOTE (betsy @ Aug 4 2018, 03:37 PM) *
The NWN says that West Berkshire Council consulted with the residents? Does anyone know anyone who was consulted. Thought not!!

Of course there was a full consultation as usual, a shout round the WBC office, all those in favour sa aye! rolleyes.gif
newres
Will the council pick up the surplus to requirements green bins?
On the edge
QUOTE (newres @ Aug 4 2018, 06:43 PM) *
Will the council pick up the surplus to requirements green bins?

Apparently not. Seems you can still use it gratis for 'food waste'. I'm holding on to mine because given the noise they are making, the LibDems will reverse the charge if they get a majority in next year's election.

I'm fortunate enough to have a reasonable garden, so I'm back to nice peaty November slow burns again.
TallDarkAndHandsome
QUOTE (On the edge @ Aug 4 2018, 07:25 PM) *
Apparently not. Seems you can still use it gratis for 'food waste'. I'm holding on to mine because given the noise they are making, the LibDems will reverse the charge if they get a majority in next year's election.

I'm fortunate enough to have a reasonable garden, so I'm back to nice peaty November slow burns again.

Most of the green waste will end up in the environmenrt. Unfortunaltely some people will also chuck none green waste at the same time. And they may not have done so without the new charge.
Turin Machine
stick e lettuce leaf in the green bin and dump all garden waste in black bin. simples
SirWilliam
QUOTE (Turin Machine @ Aug 4 2018, 08:35 PM) *
stick e lettuce leaf in the green bin and dump all garden waste in black bin. simples

According to the "small print" non contributors to the scheme will still have their green bin emptied of kitchen waste but not garden waste, and any such material found in said bin will not be removed. My question is are they not defaulting on removing my food waste even if it is contaminated by lawn mowings?
Or are they going to segregate at each property? rolleyes.gif
betsy
QUOTE (Cognosco @ Aug 4 2018, 04:26 PM) *
Of course there was a full consultation as usual, a shout round the WBC office, all those in favour sa aye! rolleyes.gif

They didn't shout loud enough then.
Andy Capp
Isn’t this about trying to fill a funding gap?
SirWilliam
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Aug 6 2018, 01:02 PM) *
Isn’t this about trying to fill a funding gap?

As the collection vehicle travels the same route whether it empties one bin or 20 then the saving is going to be minimal. The saving, if any, must be at the recycling plant and as most people will now be taking their waste to the Newtown road centre it is difficult to see how this equates. I can only surmise that the next trick up their sleeve will be to charge us for using that.
Andy Capp
QUOTE (SirWilliam @ Aug 6 2018, 04:47 PM) *
As the collection vehicle travels the same route whether it empties one bin or 20 then the saving is going to be minimal. The saving, if any, must be at the recycling plant and as most people will now be taking their waste to the Newtown road centre it is difficult to see how this equates. I can only surmise that the next trick up their sleeve will be to charge us for using that.

It’s a money raiser, not a saver; to plug a funding gap.
user23
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Aug 6 2018, 08:10 PM) *
It could well be. One council has all but gone bust, another is heading that way, with more county councils rumoured to be not far off. WBC being a unitary can charge for luxury services like this, so it has more money to fund social care for the elderly, or protecting vulnerable children.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-45058677
Cognosco
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Aug 6 2018, 09:10 PM) *

But only if enough people opt, or can afford, to pay for it. And with all the suggestions that it will increase the already increasing fly tipping it may actually cost more perhaps? unsure.gif
Biker1
You've probably all seen this, but just in case you haven't.....
Link
Strafin
If you require a second green bin, it's £70 as they have an admin charge for more than one!
James_Trinder
QUOTE (Strafin @ Aug 20 2018, 03:35 PM) *
If you require a second green bin, it's £70 as they have an admin charge for more than one!

It could be worse. You could be living across the border in Hampshire where you only get two sacks and no bin for £35 per year, plus £17.50 per additional sack:

https://www.basingstoke.gov.uk/gardenwaste

All other local districts/counties/boroughs have a similar charge for a similar service so really we should be grateful that we are one of the last areas to implement this and have therefore managed to avoid paying this charge for longer than most. Of course you can still dispose of green waste yourself for free at the tip so you are paying for the convenience of not having to do that.
Strafin
some fair and good points there James!
newres
QUOTE (Strafin @ Aug 20 2018, 04:55 PM) *
some fair and good points there James!

Agreed. I’m in two minds about it tbh. Why not an option to pay for a weekly black bin collection as it would be better value?
SirWilliam
QUOTE (Strafin @ Aug 20 2018, 03:35 PM) *

You can have mine for 50. One careful owner and now surplus to requirement. Delivery extra. cool.gif
SirWilliam
So I am an elderly resident who no longer drives, ( tip not an option ), my only income is the state pension, ( £50/year is not within my annual budget I'm afraid ), but I do enjoy my garden even though it is only a front one and therefore a compost heap is not acceptable. So what am I supposed to do?
The above scenario is hypothetical but I am sure quite a few who fall in the above category will feel pressured in to coughing up the money even though they may disagree in principle.
On the edge
QUOTE (James_Trinder @ Aug 20 2018, 04:33 PM) *
It could be worse. You could be living across the border in Hampshire where you only get two sacks and no bin for £35 per year, plus £17.50 per additional sack:

https://www.basingstoke.gov.uk/gardenwaste

All other local districts/counties/boroughs have a similar charge for a similar service so really we should be grateful that we are one of the last areas to implement this and have therefore managed to avoid paying this charge for longer than most. Of course you can still dispose of green waste yourself for free at the tip so you are paying for the convenience of not having to do that.

We aren't supposed to notice 'harminisation'. It will take a wee while but nationally, all refuse collection arrangements are slowly being harmonised. Bit of a debate about 'wheeled bins v plastic sacks but that's being sorted. Round here, the sophisticated inter authority accounting methods between councils to pay for dumps have been stripped out. We then get a basic arrangement, same nationwide that gets put out to a central agency......even less reason for WBC to exist!
spartacus
QUOTE (SirWilliam @ Aug 20 2018, 08:04 PM) *
So I am an elderly resident who no longer drives, ( tip not an option ), my only income is the state pension, ( £50/year is not within my annual budget I'm afraid ), but I do enjoy my garden even though it is only a front one and therefore a compost heap is not acceptable. So what am I supposed to do?
The above scenario is hypothetical but I am sure quite a few who fall in the above category will feel pressured in to coughing up the money even though they may disagree in principle.
An elderly resident 'probably' doesn't fill the black bin in two weeks. I suspect they'd have room for a bag or three of garden waste if they only had a small front garden.

Front garden would be full of garden gnomes and other such tat that the elderly enjoy anyway.
je suis Charlie
QUOTE (spartacus @ Aug 28 2018, 06:50 PM) *
An elderly resident 'probably' doesn't fill the black bin in two weeks. I suspect they'd have room for a bag or three of garden waste if they only had a small front garden.

Front garden would be full of garden gnomes and other such tat that the elderly enjoy anyway.

Unlike your's which is no doubt filled with old lager tins, doorless fridges and piles of faeces from your rotweiller. because that's what you people enjoy anyway.
spartacus
QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ Aug 28 2018, 10:04 PM) *
Unlike your's which is no doubt filled with old lager tins, doorless fridges and piles of faeces from your rotweiller. because that's what you people enjoy anyway.
A bit presumptuous... accurate, but presumptuous. Touchy though aren't we? . Do you have a collection of gnomes that you're a bit over-protective of? Wind chimes as well no doubt and 3ft plastic 'butterfly' things nailed to the front of the house and a 'dreamcatcher' behind those grotty net curtains of yours....

Anyway how come you're able to get online and comment? I thought you'd been banged up for running a brothel full of Vietnamese nail painters at your gaff...
SirWilliam
QUOTE (spartacus @ Aug 28 2018, 06:50 PM) *

I was under the impression that we, (the tax payer), were under an obligation to segregate green from general waste? Makes a complete mockery of an already shaky system if we are going to send everything to landfill.
Incidentally my gnomes have moved out on the premise, as yet unfounded, that any brexit deal will disadvantage their civil liberties.
Berkshirelad
QUOTE (SirWilliam @ Aug 29 2018, 10:22 AM) *
I was under the impression that we, (the tax payer), were under an obligation to segregate green from general waste? Makes a complete mockery of an already shaky system if we are going to send everything to landfill.
Incidentally my gnomes have moved out on the premise, as yet unfounded, that any brexit deal will disadvantage their civil liberties.

Nope.

Councils have re-cycling targets and govt 'fines' if they don't do enough.

There is no legal duty to re-cycle on the individual.
je suis Charlie
QUOTE (spartacus @ Aug 29 2018, 09:50 AM) *
A bit presumptuous... accurate, but presumptuous. Touchy though aren't we? . Do you have a collection of gnomes that you're a bit over-protective of? Wind chimes as well no doubt and 3ft plastic 'butterfly' things nailed to the front of the house and a 'dreamcatcher' behind those grotty net curtains of yours....

Anyway how come you're able to get online and comment? I thought you'd been banged up for running a brothel full of Vietnamese nail painters at your gaff...

Presumptuous? Moi? And how is life on the Turnpike these days? still eking out an existence selling drugs outside the school gates are you? How's that going?
Strafin
QUOTE (SirWilliam @ Aug 29 2018, 10:22 AM) *

I think you will find the term gnome is offensive. They're vertically challenged.
regor
Yesterday, in bitterness and resentment I had to give the council £50 so my green bin will carry on being emptied. There seemed no other choice, Trekinng to the dump every time there was garden waste (hard work and inconvenient), using the black bin (it is often pretty full anyway) fly tipping (not nice) were considered and rejected.

The gentlemen and ladies of the ruling party may come to regret this new levy come next election time. I sincerely hope so!
SirWilliam
QUOTE (regor @ Sep 1 2018, 07:03 AM) *
Yesterday, in bitterness and resentment I had to give the council £50 so my green bin will carry on being emptied. There seemed no other choice, Trekinng to the dump every time there was garden waste (hard work and inconvenient), using the black bin (it is often pretty full anyway) fly tipping (not nice) were considered and rejected.

The gentlemen and ladies of the ruling party may come to regret this new levy come next election time. I sincerely hope so!

A very much local vox pop on the matter resulted in 4 saying no, 2 were paying and 1 didn't know anything about it. I think once it has settled down those turkeys who voted for xmas will do so again as those who objected will have forgotten this little fracas and be happily travelling up to newtown road twice a month.
Andy Capp

Doubt it; there’s plenty of Tory support in Newbs. £3 worth of builders sacks and an occasional trip to the tip is no hardship. I’d have happily paid £5 a month more, but I’m not doing £50 on the nose; it’s regressive. I’d rather be out of pocket.
Biker1
Yesterday, in bitterness and resentment I had to give the council £50 so my green bin will carry on being emptied. There seemed no other choice,

There was / is another choice and that is not to pay.
What happened to the process of collective protest?
If no-one had paid what would they have done then?
Biker1
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Sep 1 2018, 01:12 PM) *
£3 worth of builders sacks and an occasional trip to the tip is no hardship.

Yes it is.
Depends where you live and if you have access to a suitable vehicle.
Plus the additional cost and pollution of driving to the tip.
Where is the saving to the council anyway?
Presumably the same lorry will make the same trips using the same fuel but this time will be mostly empty. rolleyes.gif
SirWilliam
QUOTE (Biker1 @ Sep 1 2018, 02:21 PM) *
Yes it is.
Presumably the same lorry will make the same trips using the same fuel but this time will be mostly empty. rolleyes.gif

Since when has logic been a town councillors forte? They will quite happily impose any harebrain scheme based loosely on the premise that they know best. One only has to look at the money wasted on cycle routes to follow their mindset.
newres
QUOTE (SirWilliam @ Sep 1 2018, 02:39 PM) *
Since when has logic been a town councillors forte? They will quite happily impose any harebrain scheme based loosely on the premise that they know best. One only has to look at the money wasted on cycle routes to follow their mindset.

What’s wrong with cycle routes? I think it’s an excellent idea to provide a safe means of cycling. I think the St John Roundabout track is mad though.
je suis Charlie
Yes it is.

They still come and empty kitchen waste so as you say "where's the saving"?
Andy Capp
Yes it is.

It’s not about saving money or the planet; it’s about raising cash. With the amount of Monster Raving Tories this town has means it will succeed.
SirWilliam
QUOTE (newres @ Sep 1 2018, 05:01 PM) *
What’s wrong with cycle routes? I think it’s an excellent idea to provide a safe means of cycling. I think the St John Roundabout track is mad though.

Quite! Exempli gratia; I quite often have to push a wheelchair on pavements that have a cycle track alongside. Half of the pedestrian route is so overgrown that I need to go on the cycle part where I am harangued by lycra lunatics who think they have a god given right to emulate Eddie Merckx. If that is not bad enough, the designer of said track has decided, for reasons best known to himself, to place ribbed blocks running at right angles to the path on the pedestrian side so once again forcing me over to the cyclist's M1.

I have nothing against the principle, just the incompetence of design and upkeep. angry.gif
je suis Charlie
Do what I do, put a bag of kitchen waste in the green bin, put as much garden waste as I can in my black bin and burn what doesn't fit in. Winner winner, the WBC still has to empty my green bin for free, they take away my garden waste and I've reinstituted nice smelly bonfires.
je suis Charlie
QUOTE (newres @ Sep 1 2018, 05:01 PM) *

No cyclist is safe from Mr Range Rover, When they pay road tax is when I let em past.
spartacus
QUOTE (SirWilliam @ Sep 2 2018, 09:13 AM) *
...If that is not bad enough, the designer of said track has decided, for reasons best known to himself, to place ribbed blocks running at right angles to the path on the pedestrian side so once again forcing me over to the cyclist's M1.

I have nothing against the principle, just the incompetence of design and upkeep. angry.gif
I take it you're not visually impaired? Lucky you. This newspiece gives an insight into the reasons for the different sorts of tactile paving, including the corduroy paving you refer to

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-44861568
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.