Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Provence
Newbury Today Forum > Categories > Random Rants
je suis Charlie
Anyone been? If so, where and what was it like?
dannyboy
QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ Feb 9 2018, 01:43 PM) *
Anyone been? If so, where and what was it like?

the wise head to the Drôme...
je suis Charlie
QUOTE (dannyboy @ Feb 9 2018, 02:10 PM) *
the wise head to the Drôme...

Sorry, being a bit slow here, probably because I'm a right winger, but what do you mean?
Turin Machine
Just noticed this rolleyes.gif
I have been twice now, once to the coast at Cassis which was lovely on a week's trip as an homage to my favourite author Marcel Pagnol and once for a two week stay at a town called Cabrieres. My impression was that like the curates egg it was 'good in parts' scenically it was very nice, the gorge de verdon is very impressive and of course the lavender files look lovely, but, and it's a big but, the whole place is overcrowded, expensive and choked with traffic.
Glad I went but I far prefer the Languadoc!
On the edge
I'd humbly suggest the classic English response does fit here. France is a lovely country, just a shame about the French! We are out of Europe soon, so the rest of the World is your oyster - go and enjoy.
Turin Machine
QUOTE (On the edge @ Feb 13 2018, 02:12 PM) *
I'd humbly suggest the classic English response does fit here. France is a lovely country, just a shame about the French! We are out of Europe soon, so the rest of the World is your oyster - go and enjoy.

Personally always found the French jolly personable, warm and friendly. With of course the usual caveats about Parisians. With that said the days of the traditional past time of trundling through sleepy french villages, startling the natives and scattering both chickens and children from underneath the wheels of an open topped sportster, a map in one hand and a glass of Burgundy in the other before disappearing in a cloud of petroleum fume, dust and melodious tootling are I'm sad to say, long gone. unsure.gif
je suis Charlie
Ok, thanks for that, the wife thinks it's all 'A good year' nonsense. It's going to be there or one of the islands this year. I'll pass your thoughts on to her. Never looked at Cassis though, what's it like?
On the edge
QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ Feb 13 2018, 07:16 PM) *
Ok, thanks for that, the wife thinks it's all 'A good year' nonsense. It's going to be there or one of the islands this year. I'll pass your thoughts on to her. Never looked at Cassis though, what's it like?

Can be busy in the season, but that's no surprise. As you like boats, probably more pleasant.
Turin Machine
QUOTE (On the edge @ Feb 13 2018, 08:02 PM) *
Can be busy in the season, but that's no surprise. As you like boats, probably more pleasant.

Surprised you know it! Not many do. Where did you stay?
Strafin
QUOTE (On the edge @ Feb 13 2018, 02:12 PM) *

We are not leaving Europe. We're leaving the EU. Geographically the UK will remain where We are. We will be the same distance from the rest of the world as we are now!
On the edge
QUOTE (Turin Machine @ Feb 13 2018, 09:05 PM) *
Surprised you know it! Not many do. Where did you stay?

Well, there you go. Sister in law came from Ferrageon and we had extended family visits.
On the edge
QUOTE (Strafin @ Feb 13 2018, 09:17 PM) *
We are not leaving Europe. We're leaving the EU. Geographically the UK will remain where We are. We will be the same distance from the rest of the world as we are now!

You are absolutely correct. I suppose I was letting my English age old predudice against the French show. Mind, as far as I've been able to tell, they've never been over keen on us and I'm not over convinced that us leaving EU will have a positive effect on that relationship.
Turin Machine
QUOTE (On the edge @ Feb 13 2018, 09:25 PM) *
Well, there you go. Sister in law came from Ferrageon and we had extended family visits.

Great cliff walks, and down to the calanques. Wonderful memories, heard my first Scops owl there. Bliss.
On the edge
QUOTE (Turin Machine @ Feb 13 2018, 09:49 PM) *
Great cliff walks, and down to the calanques. Wonderful memories, heard my first Scops owl there. Bliss.

Very nice, but must admit, I haven't been back for a few years though.
Biker1
QUOTE (On the edge @ Feb 13 2018, 04:12 PM) *
I'd humbly suggest the classic English response does fit here. France is a lovely country, just a shame about the French!

Bit racist there OTE!!
Bet you wouldn't say that about, say, the Pakistanis?? ohmy.gif
On the edge
QUOTE (Biker1 @ Feb 14 2018, 09:05 AM) *
Bit racist there OTE!!

Very good point, I agree!

The latest rugby matches gave me much the same thoughts. Arguably, abusive criticisim of a nation state team is arguably racism. I'd go further, if there is really no difference between them, then how can we create national teams?

So, I'm quite happy to criticise the Spanish for animal cruelty and the Indians for failing to do anything about poverty in their country etc.etc.etc.

When it comes to immigration, that necessarily comes at a personal level. I have absolutely no issue with anyone coming to this country, provided we have room.
je suis Charlie
Thanks to everyone who contributed, all useful (I think) am now concerned that we may get stopped at the border, frisked, detained and sent down on our return for the deliberate and wilful importation of banned substances. To whit, 200gm of, wait for it! Fois gras! Oh JC, why you sooo fuunny?
Andy Capp
QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ Feb 14 2018, 04:41 PM) *
Thanks to everyone who contributed, all useful (I think) am now concerned that we may get stopped at the border, frisked, detained and sent down on our return for the deliberate and wilful importation of banned substances. To whit, 200gm of, wait for it! Fois gras! Oh JC, why you sooo fuunny?

And throw away the key I say. Muck.
je suis Charlie
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Feb 14 2018, 08:47 PM) *
And throw away the key I say. Muck.

Lovely stuff! Some people huh.
Turin Machine
QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ Feb 14 2018, 08:52 PM) *
Lovely stuff! Some people huh.

I agree, thin sliced whole-wheat, a nice glass of Pomerol and some Calvados. Scrummy!
Biker1
QUOTE (On the edge @ Feb 14 2018, 05:04 PM) *
When it comes to immigration, that necessarily comes at a personal level. I have absolutely no issue with anyone coming to this country,provided we have room.
unsure.gif
Andy Capp
Some say the same thing about pate; still muck, notwithstanding the uneccesary means to produce it.
On the edge
QUOTE (Biker1 @ Feb 15 2018, 09:03 AM) *
unsure.gif

Simply, at the moment we clearly don't. Many people already here have to sleep on the streets, our health service is demonstrably close to collapse, our education service no longer have sufficient funds to continue the present levels of service and even after two decades of very heavy investment, our rail service is still significantly overcrowded and we've lost many higher grade jobs. Even our defence capability us breaking down. Therefore, I'd hold we can't cook with any more people It surprises me anyone would even want to visit, let alone stay.
je suis Charlie
Just round up every middle aged, white, Christian, heterosexual and ship em off, lots of room the for Jihadist hordes then.
SirWilliam
QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ Feb 15 2018, 06:29 PM) *
Just round up every middle aged, white, Christian, heterosexual and ship em off, lots of room the for Jihadist hordes then.

Why are you giving them ideas? Little doubt it has been aired by the top table but as yet it is still a proposal. rolleyes.gif

Turin Machine
QUOTE (SirWilliam @ Feb 15 2018, 07:03 PM) *
Why are you giving them ideas? Little doubt it has been aired by the top table but as yet it is still a proposal. rolleyes.gif

Probably in JC's manifesto.
x2lls
QUOTE (Biker1 @ Feb 14 2018, 09:05 AM) *
Bit racist there OTE!!

We have a mixed history with the French. We have fought them and fought on their behalf.
We are after all, an adjoining historical partnership.

If it came to an Islamic attempted takeover, we would fight together.
TallDarkAndHandsome
QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ Feb 15 2018, 06:29 PM) *

Its already happened in some towns. White flight. People generally like to live with like minded people. So it is a fait accompli. I work in a very multi racial company and we all get on. But come lunch time the Indians sit together, the black people sit together. If I were to join either group I would be made to feel welcome as they would if they sat with white people. Different food. Different interests. Is it reallly a problem as long as we respect one another? Mates are mates whatever skin colour or religion. Funny old world.
On the edge
QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Feb 15 2018, 10:59 PM) *
Its already happened in some towns. White flight. People generally like to live with like minded people. So it is a fait accompli. I work in a very multi racial company and we all get on. But come lunch time the Indians sit together, the black people sit together. If I were to join either group I would be made to feel welcome as they would if they sat with white people. Different food. Different interests. Is it reallly a problem as long as we respect one another? Mates are mates whatever skin colour or religion. Funny old world.

So then, whilst you are working in your multi ethnic teams, everyone gets on and pulls together to deliver deadlines and solve difficult problems but when there is a break, strict self imposed segregation applies. In other words, the teams don't mix! Must be almost impossible when it comes to corporate parties, team building and such like.
TallDarkAndHandsome
QUOTE (On the edge @ Feb 16 2018, 07:29 AM) *
So then, whilst you are working in your multi ethnic teams, everyone gets on and pulls together to deliver deadlines and solve difficult problems but when there is a break, strict self imposed segregation applies. In other words, the teams don't mix! Must be almost impossible when it comes to corporate parties, team building and such like.

Cobblers.
On the edge
QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Feb 16 2018, 07:31 AM) *
Cobblers.

Really? I suppose if you are cash rich, innovation is a foreign country!
Turin Machine
So, JSC, going to Provence then?
je suis Charlie
Not sure yet, it looks nice but it's getting a bit late to book anything nice, it's been a bit busy at chez Charles with getting the year end sorted. Her indoors is making noises about the lesser Antilles? God only knows why, probably one of her 'coffee morning's friends. Me? Not so keen, maybe she'll get over that idea.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.