Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Abbott Shmabbott
Newbury Today Forum > Categories > Random Rants
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
On the edge
QUOTE (newres @ Nov 7 2017, 06:33 PM) *
I 100% disagree with almost all of that. Certainly the EU isn’t perfect. Neither is our own parliament/democracy. Look what’s happening now with the “sex” scandals. Ludicrous. Look at the unelected Lords. Look at lobbying scandals and so on. I think people understood that. What UKIP did was to shift the blame for everything to the EU including refugees from Syria which if anything are a product of US and UK interference in the Middle East.

Thatcher and Major weren’t anti EU. What about Maastricht? I’m not sure what the exact split is on Brexit but it wouldn’t surprise me if the majority of Tiry MPs weren’t remainers. I’m quite prepared to be wrong on that. You are probably right though that a majority of party members voted for Brexit, but given the age demographic and the nationalistic slant of the tories that’s no surprise.

Put it this way, the British public had been told for decades that any unpopular action was down to European directives and macinations. As for corruption, yes it happens at Westminiser but not on the industrial scale of Europe. Incredibly, for many years they haven't managed even the elementary book keeping needed to generate an auditablecset of accounts. At least we still can, and we've clamped down on our MPs over inflated expenses. Mrs Thatcher's resignation was all about her wanting to curb European expansion and Maastricht was Mr Major refusing to go along with new European directives. In both cases, hardly enthusiasm. I think more and more can now see that it's the World market that counts and Europe is therefore a trade barrier. We should be concentrating on the future now so we don't get caught by the swell as SS Europe starts to sink.
TallDarkAndHandsome
QUOTE (On the edge @ Nov 7 2017, 10:21 PM) *
Put it this way, the British public had been told for decades that any unpopular action was down to European directives and macinations. As for corruption, yes it happens at Westminiser but not on the industrial scale of Europe. Incredibly, for many years they haven't managed even the elementary book keeping needed to generate an auditablecset of accounts. At least we still can, and we've clamped down on our MPs over inflated expenses. Mrs Thatcher's resignation was all about her wanting to curb European expansion and Maastricht was Mr Major refusing to go along with new European directives. In both cases, hardly enthusiasm. I think more and more can now see that it's the World market that counts and Europe is therefore a trade barrier. We should be concentrating on the future now so we don't get caught by the swell as SS Europe starts to sink.

You must be really thick. Stupid. Dense. Racist. And worst of all... White. Thought I'd beat Newres to it.😂
je suis Charlie
QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Nov 7 2017, 10:45 PM) *
You must be really thick. Stupid. Dense. Racist. And worst of all... White. Thought I'd beat Newres to it.😂

yes but, newres is 'Special'! ph34r.gif
Turin Machine

And of course you only need look towards Italy with its staggering levels of governmental corruption, greed and criminality. Proportional representation in action if you will.
newres

Yet Major voted remain and has campaigned for a second referendum.
On the edge
QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Nov 7 2017, 11:45 PM) *

In a nutshell TDH! laugh.gif
Mr Brown
QUOTE (newres @ Nov 8 2017, 06:25 AM) *
Yet Major voted remain and has campaigned for a second referendum.

Yes, he did. A weather vane politician as always. Nonetheless, his signing of them famous treaty and his leaving the money arrangements show he was no great fan of Europe.
Andy Capp
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Nov 6 2017, 06:20 PM) *
UK.

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2017/nov/0...paradise-papers
Andy Capp
The better educated tended to vote Remain! Lol

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/o...remain-pollster
SirWilliam
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41908774

Having trouble removing the vision of a BBC hack pursuing the Heir Apparent along the Mall over his off shore financial dealings laugh.gif
Like I said earlier ,whilst the papers are full of this non news the real problems facing May and her party are on the back burner .
Sacrifice a limb to save the body .
Turin Machine
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Nov 8 2017, 09:18 AM) *

Opinion not 'science'.
je suis Charlie

Ahh the Guardian, beacon of light for Libtards everywhere. Anyway, if it's where true AC must've voted to leave, at least twice.
On the edge

I love these ungrounded statistics which some take as gospel truths. Normally takes a couple of questions about the source data and down goes the balloon.

The article itself throws doubt straightaway. 2 out of 3 graduates voted to stay. Now, as nearly everyone who can write their name can graduate these days and as 'informed thinking' from as far back as the early 1920s considered only 20% of the population had higher grade intelligence, without any differentiation, it could be extrapolated that the one third of graduates who voted to go were actually that higher intelligence percentile.

To illustrate, this is a good one, you can check the validity for yourselves. BMWs are a car of choice for poor people. Just count the number in Lidl car park. Lidl with such low prices is clearly aimed at poor people.

Anyway, I'm more than happy to be thick; don't think I'd have managed three years at Salford University on media or golf course studies!

biggrin.gif
blackdog
QUOTE (Mr Brown @ Nov 6 2017, 10:18 PM) *
The UK certainly isn't ruled by minority pressure groups, even though it might seem so on occasions. Of course pressure groups try and often succeed in influencing party policy; but party still rules. As we saw in the previous coalition, the LibDems had quite limited effect on government policy. In this government, the Unionists are actually a breed of Tory.

Political parties are minority pressure groups.
Andy Capp
QUOTE (Turin Machine @ Nov 8 2017, 10:32 AM) *
Opinion not 'science'.

Please see my next post; meanwhile, he actually said: “When you look at the people who voted remain, most of them were the better educated people in our country. Nearly all the university towns voted remain.”

Being better educated doesn't mean if you were not better educated, that you were thick; it is just some people getting all tizzy and twisting things.
Andy Capp
QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ Nov 8 2017, 11:58 AM) *
Ahh the Guardian, beacon of light for Libtards everywhere. Anyway, if it's where true AC must've voted to leave, at least twice.

It is not an opinion piece, but a matter of record and backed up by stats. I voted leave, but despite a near-grammer school education I'm thick, so the story might be true; fellow thicko! LOL

"But Peter Kellner, the former president of the YouGov polling firm, said Sheerman was factually correct.

“I would not use Barry Sheerman’s choice of words but the facts are broadly on his side,” Kellner told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme on Monday.

“Overall, people who left school at 15 or 16 voted around two to one for Brexit. [For] people who got up to A-level or equivalent qualification [it was] 50:50. Graduates voted two to one to remain in the EU.

“So yes, there is quite a clear educational gradient in the way people voted in last year’s referendum.”

Kellner pointed out that a similar education divide was seen in June’s general election."
Andy Capp
QUOTE (On the edge @ Nov 8 2017, 01:21 PM) *
I love these ungrounded statistics which some take as gospel truths. Normally takes a couple of questions about the source data and down goes the balloon.

The article itself throws doubt straightaway. 2 out of 3 graduates voted to stay. Now, as nearly everyone who can write their name can graduate these days and as 'informed thinking' from as far back as the early 1920s considered only 20% of the population had higher grade intelligence, without any differentiation, it could be extrapolated that the one third of graduates who voted to go were actually that higher intelligence percentile.

To illustrate, this is a good one, you can check the validity for yourselves. BMWs are a car of choice for poor people. Just count the number in Lidl car park. Lidl with such low prices is clearly aimed at poor people.

Anyway, I'm more than happy to be thick; don't think I'd have managed three years at Salford University on media or golf course studies!

biggrin.gif

Getting a good education doesn't guarantee intelligence. It is why investing in children with rich parents is a fallacy.

"You can take a man to the pub, but he might not want to get sloshed".
je suis Charlie
There's lies, damned lies, and then there's statistics. If someone tried you could 'prove' statistically that the sun revolves around the Earth. I particularly loved this gem;

"He said: “When you look at the people who voted remain, most of them were the better educated people in our country. Nearly all the university towns voted remain.”

Anybody else see the problem with that nugget of pseudo science? Like having a university in your town won't raise everybody's IQ, and University means students, they would all be too busy watching tellytubbys or getting wasted to turn out and vote. And a two year course in media studies won't make you another Einstein either.

I do love a good laugh, so carry on, please.
On the edge
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Nov 8 2017, 06:05 PM) *
Getting a good education doesn't guarantee intelligence. It is why investing in children with rich parents is a fallacy.

"You can take a man to the pub, but he might not want to get sloshed".

Couldn't agree more. My issue is with those who extrapolate sample data elements and then make ungrounded assumptions and then try to convince everyone that their assumptions are scientific fact. Often very funny; but then I'm of the generation who saw Professor Stanley Unwin!
je suis Charlie
QUOTE (On the edge @ Nov 8 2017, 07:19 PM) *
Couldn't agree more. My issue is with those who extrapolate sample data elements and then make ungrounded assumptions and then try to convince everyone that their assumptions are scientific fact. Often very funny; but then I'm of the generation who saw Professor Stanley Unwin!

laugh.gif
TallDarkAndHandsome

Im not even sure where this is coming from? Is a University educated vote now worth more than a 6th former who left with 4 A levels but chose to persue a career and not build up a lifetime of debt? Who is more stupid? The lad earning 50k a year at 30 with no debt or the lad with 80k of debt and no career at 25 having left uni with a 2 2 in media studies and no prospects? Some of the most clever people I have met have been completely useless in a working environment. All talk and no work. Some other far less educated and clever people have gone an awful lot further through work ethic. I know if I interview 2 people.. and one has had one or two jobs and risen through a company by promotion and the other is more qualified but has had numerous jobs every few months... which I'd choose.
newres
QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Nov 8 2017, 11:03 PM) *
Im not even sure where this is coming from? Is a University educated vote now worth more than a 6th former who left with 4 A levels but chose to persue a career and not build up a lifetime of debt? Who is more stupid? The lad earning 50k a year at 30 with no debt or the lad with 80k of debt and no career at 25 having left uni with a 2 2 in media studies and no prospects? Some of the most clever people I have met have been completely useless in a working environment. All talk and no work. Some other far less educated and clever people have gone an awful lot further through work ethic. I know if I interview 2 people.. and one has had one or two jobs and risen through a company by promotion and the other is more qualified but has had numerous jobs every few months... which I'd choose.

Didn't the reports talk about innate intelligence rather than educated? According to the science you are innately less intelligent than me. Can't argue with science.
On the edge
QUOTE (newres @ Nov 9 2017, 12:58 PM) *
Didn't the reports talk about innate intelligence rather than educated? According to the science you are innately less intelligent than me. Can't argue with science.

Never mind TDH, some Itallian bloke also got into big trouble arguing against the science of his day, called Galileo or some such, became quite well known apparently.
je suis Charlie
QUOTE (On the edge @ Nov 9 2017, 03:38 PM) *
Never mind TDH, some Itallian bloke also got into big trouble arguing against the science of his day, called Galileo or some such, became quite well known apparently.

BUT IT'S SCIENCE!! Ahh, wait, as you were biggrin.gif
TallDarkAndHandsome
QUOTE (newres @ Nov 9 2017, 12:58 PM) *

Glad I'm not intelligent then. I'd rather be thick than you.😂
newres
QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Nov 9 2017, 05:35 PM) *
Glad I'm not intelligent then. I'd rather be thick than you.😂

Your wish has been granted already. laugh.gif
SirWilliam
Is not belief truth until science proves otherwise and science fact until proven wrong ?
Intelligence is subjective , an Oxford don may well appear highly qualified yet he will drive a car whilst under the influence of alcohol and an under achieving school leaver from Moss Side will go on to pen a best seller .
The supposed intelligencer tend to lean to the political left as an appeasement to their conscience and so curry favour with their peers as opposed to doing so on cognitive grounds .
newres
QUOTE (SirWilliam @ Nov 9 2017, 07:57 PM) *
Is not belief truth until science proves otherwise and science fact until proven wrong ?
Intelligence is subjective , an Oxford don may well appear highly qualified yet he will drive a car whilst under the influence of alcohol and an under achieving school leaver from Moss Side will go on to pen a best seller .
The supposed intelligencer tend to lean to the political left as an appeasement to their conscience and so curry favour with their peers as opposed to doing so on cognitive grounds .

IQ measurement is objective. Or as close as we get to objective measurement.
TallDarkAndHandsome
QUOTE (newres @ Nov 9 2017, 06:24 PM) *
Your wish has been granted already. laugh.gif

So thick MS engineers are putting my ideas to the product board and then being put on the roadmap.😝

What have you achieved this year? Sold a dodgy motor?😂
TallDarkAndHandsome
QUOTE (newres @ Nov 9 2017, 08:03 PM) *
IQ measurement is objective. Or as close as we get to objective measurement.

I bet you are one of those saddos that does a MENSA test and prints out a certificate to say they have an above average IQ. When a trained chimp would.
je suis Charlie
QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Nov 9 2017, 08:43 PM) *
I bet you are one of those saddos that does a MENSA test and prints out a certificate to say they have the IQ of a trained chimp.

There, fixxored that for you my friend.
Andy Capp
QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Nov 8 2017, 11:03 PM) *
I know if I interview 2 people.. and one has had one or two jobs and risen through a company by promotion and the other is more qualified but has had numerous jobs every few months... which I'd choose.

It depends if you are recruiting for a policeman or a decorator! 😋
SirWilliam
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Nov 9 2017, 10:00 PM) *

It depends if you are recruiting for a policeman or a decorator! 😋

Is there a difference ? Both look down on you because you can't do the job yourself and had to call them in .
je suis Charlie
QUOTE (SirWilliam @ Nov 9 2017, 10:06 PM) *
Is there a difference ? Both look down on you because you can't do the job yourself and had to call them in .

Only one of them will fit you up!
Andy Capp
QUOTE (SirWilliam @ Nov 9 2017, 10:06 PM) *

It was a cheeky remark indicating that some professions will have people who move about in a different ways.
The Hatter
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Nov 9 2017, 10:00 PM) *

It depends if you are recruiting for a policeman or a decorator! ��

The skills and aptitude have to fit the job, so quite right, you wouldn't employ an Oxford graduate to cut code.
James_Trinder
QUOTE (The Hatter @ Nov 10 2017, 09:25 AM) *
The skills and aptitude have to fit the job, so quite right, you wouldn't employ an Oxford graduate to cut code.

If I understand 'cutting code' correctly then that is basically what I do now in my job and I am an Oxford postgraduate.
SirWilliam
QUOTE (James_Trinder @ Nov 10 2017, 09:34 AM) *
If I understand 'cutting code' correctly then that is basically what I do now in my job and I am an Oxford postgraduate.

When I first read Hatter's comment I concluded , ( incorrectly ) , that "cutting code " was a misprint and spent the next 10 minutes wondering what he meant . Having googled it I stand enlightened but it does highlight how out of touch with modernity some of us "oldies" are . I do say "some" as a few of my contemporaries can turn the pc on unaided , and most important , turn it off again . tongue.gif
je suis Charlie
QUOTE (SirWilliam @ Nov 10 2017, 12:00 PM) *
When I first read Hatter's comment I concluded , ( incorrectly ) , that "cutting code " was a misprint and spent the next 10 minutes wondering what he meant . Having googled it I stand enlightened but it does highlight how out of touch with modernity some of us "oldies" are . I do say "some" as a few of my contemporaries can turn the pc on unaided , and most important , turn it off again . tongue.gif

I suspect newres needs help turning a light switch on and off.
SirWilliam
QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ Nov 10 2017, 12:13 PM) *
I suspect newres needs help turning a light switch on and off.

What's a light switch ? laugh.gif
SirWilliam
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j...Iu5BTua0d6fUlwZ

What Diane Abbott can do Borris can do better . Who on earth thought it would be a good idea to give this buffoon the job of Foreign Secretary ? Apart from the fact that most Spanish citizens would be more than happy to see the back of this barbaric practice , to be told how to conduct their affairs by this clown is down right insulting .
Then we have the matter of Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe ...........What next ?????
je suis Charlie
The man is a buffoon. A scruffy, bumbling buffoon.
Andy Capp
QUOTE (SirWilliam @ Nov 11 2017, 09:29 AM) *
Who on earth thought it would be a good idea to give this buffoon the job of Foreign Secretary ?

An even bigger one who is his boss.
SirWilliam
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Nov 11 2017, 10:01 AM) *

No argument there old chap .
On the edge

Ever wondered if it isn't deliberate? The Tories are the oldest political party in the World and they didn't get there by accident.
SirWilliam
It's hilarious comedy time folks . You can put aside your political differences and unite in the knowledge that we are a little brighter than some .

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/41973119/why-...e-earth-is-flat

This has to be the funniest thing I have seen this year . Nothing like putting things in perspective , and this is nothing like it . laugh.gif
SirWilliam

It would appear that Mrs May is not quite so obtuse as some see . She outwardly criticises the Russians and then "arranges " for her foreign secretary to visit the Country . What price a BA strike around the time he is due to return . cool.gif
On the edge
QUOTE (SirWilliam @ Nov 14 2017, 02:50 PM) *
It would appear that Mrs May is not quite so obtuse as some see . She outwardly criticises the Russians and then "arranges " for her foreign secretary to visit the Country . What price a BA strike around the time he is due to return . cool.gif

Boris will be back, have no fear! Clever politicians, particularly those with ambition, learn to read the currents and ride the tides. Would you have wanted to take over from Cameron, who anyway didn't really need to go. The dear lady gets her 15 minutes this way.

Like a kipper, stiched up; that's us!
SirWilliam
QUOTE (On the edge @ Nov 14 2017, 04:37 PM) *
Boris will be back, have no fear! Clever politicians, particularly those with ambition, learn to read the currents and ride the tides. Would you have wanted to take over from Cameron, who anyway didn't really need to go. The dear lady gets her 15 minutes this way.

Like a kipper, stiched up; that's us!

They do say that a Country get's the government it deserves . QED me thinks .
je suis Charlie
Can't keep a good idiot down.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/police-backlash-d...ml?guccounter=1
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.