Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Newbury Train Station, GWR, Network Rail
Newbury Today Forum > Categories > Random Rants
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
TallDarkAndHandsome
On January 20th 2016 I was coming home from work on the 1730 from Reading to Newbury. I had had a busy day and was looking forward to a good evening.

Whilst on the train the temperature dropped dramatically. I was well wrapped up though so thought no more of it...

I arrived at Newbury Station and on exiting the station stepped on a frozen metal pole which caused me to fall. Trying to save myself from falling into the Network rail pumps that have been there for what seems like forever I put my right arm out. Whack! Phew I thought as I lay on the frozen floor. Then I tried to move. Never felt pain like it... My shoulder was badly dislocated. I cannot describe the pain. It was worse than a broken bone.... Paramedics were called, clothes were cut off including a suit and overcoat. Morphine etc was given. 3 attempts it took to get it back in at the Royal Berks. Off work for weeks and having a permanent weakness now in my shoulder is nothing compared to trying to get justice...

I tried to stupidly get some compensation for this incident as it was clearly no fault of mine. 13 months later and having contacted GWR, Newbury Train Station, Network Rail I have now been fobbed off to West Berks Council. I guess l'll just have to sue the employees on duty that day as all the big companies no longer accept liablity for anything. In the words of the donald. SEE YOU IN COURT.
je suis Charlie
Get ya lawyers on em! Sick em good!
TallDarkAndHandsome
QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ Feb 11 2017, 08:23 PM) *
Get ya lawyers on em! Sick em good!

Never had a penny off anyone in my life for anything. But when something does happen you hope that it would be straightforward to claim for something that has caused you a lot of pain, distress and expense. Not the case. I suppose if all else fails I can stand in front of a train. That would be a lot more expensive for GWR.
Who without doubt are at fault. Im so goddam angry. By the way I wont be standing in front of a train but Im beginning to understand why people do... Especially dealing with GWR. W@nkers.
je suis Charlie
Quick enough to take your money though angry.gif
je suis Charlie
I wish you well of it.
TallDarkAndHandsome
QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ Feb 11 2017, 08:47 PM) *
I wish you well of it.

Thanks chap.Needed a vent
Simon Kirby
QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Feb 11 2017, 08:40 PM) *
Never had a penny off anyone in my life for anything. But when something does happen you hope that it would be straightforward to claim for something that has caused you a lot of pain, distress and expense. Not the case. I suppose if all else fails I can stand in front of a train. That would be a lot more expensive for GWR.
Who without doubt are at fault. Im so goddam angry. By the way I wont be standing in front of a train but Im beginning to understand why people do... Especially dealing with GWR. W@nkers.

I'm sorry about your accident, not nice at all. However, if you're to get any money out of someone to compensate you for your injury you'll need to show that they were negligent in discharging their duty of care. From what you've said so far - stepping onto a frozen pavement which had frozen in a relatively sudden drop in temperature - I think you might struggle to show negligence. Best bet is probably to call one of those no-win-no-fee Jonnies as they'll see this kind of thing all the time and give you a good idea of your chances of success and represent you for free if they think you have a good claim.

Silly question probably, but you're not in a trades union are you, as they may well represent you in this.
TallDarkAndHandsome
QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Feb 11 2017, 09:35 PM) *
I'm sorry about your accident, not nice at all. However, if you're to get any money out of someone to compensate you for your injury you'll need to show that they were negligent in discharging their duty of care. From what you've said so far - stepping onto a frozen pavement which had frozen in a relatively sudden drop in temperature - I think you might struggle to show negligence. Best bet is probably to call one of those no-win-no-fee Jonnies as they'll see this kind of thing all the time and give you a good idea of your chances of success and represent you for free if they think you have a good claim.

Silly question probably, but you're not in a trades union are you, as they may well represent you in this.

Trade Union? Whats one of those?😮 Not a frozen pavement. A metal pole that had no place in an exit. Funnily enough it had been replaced by the next day by a rubber one and signs put up warning people.... Hopefully my accident has saved others. Shame shame shame though on these corporate scum. And people wonder why you end up with trump, le pen, brexit and co. I might even design a sign and stand outside Newbury Station. Might get some press...
On the edge
Sad to hear about your accident and the aftermath, I certainly hope the log jam you are in starts to clear very soon.

It's perhaps an object lesson for us all. First, those who carp on about 'elf n safety' and what a waste of time. All of us need to take risk assessments very seriously and properly consider what might happen. The issues with the pole could have been foreseen, but in our own lives and work environments we all know why 'those at the coal face' simply keep quiet. Second, the complaints process; again a society self inflicted wound. How often do we hear or see people complaining about what are really discomforts - even for stuff they've done themselves. Pop into Casualty at any Hospital Saturday evening. Clearly, not your case, and I wish you success, but we 'the me' generation have done you no favours.
TallDarkAndHandsome
My aim is to ensure that I put enough people off travelling by train that I cost GWR more than they owe me. Much more.... They now have a war. One that I cannot win. But I can cause them damage and be a complete pain in the ****. Im going to encourage people to use other transport 24/7. Oh and I think Ill be really obtuse and act stupid. Ill block machines by pretending to not know how to use them and be vague when buying tickets. Sorry everyone. You are going to suffer now because of GWR. laugh.gif
Cognosco
QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Feb 12 2017, 07:49 PM) *
My aim is to ensure that I put enough people off travelling by train that I cost GWR more than they owe me. Much more.... They now have a war. One that I cannot win. But I can cause them damage and be a complete pain in the ****. Im going to encourage people to use other transport 24/7. Oh and I think Ill be really obtuse and act stupid. Ill block machines by pretending to not know how to use them and be vague when buying tickets. Sorry everyone. You are going to suffer now because of GWR. laugh.gif

Careful you may be declared vexatious! biggrin.gif
Turin Machine
Kick 'em in the profits, only language they understand.
TallDarkAndHandsome
QUOTE (Turin Machine @ Feb 12 2017, 10:16 PM) *
Kick 'em in the profits, only language they understand.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/blog/2017...way-delay-repay

Good god. Service is run by Crapita. Crapita and GWR! I'm surprised any trains run at all and ANY complaints get answered...
TallDarkAndHandsome
Got the names of the GWR employees on duty that day.
Got photos of before and after.
They deserve to lose the franchise.
Most expensive per mile in the EU.
Overcrowded.
Diabolical customer service run by #crapita
Electrification delayed.
Self service machines that dont offer value.
Self service machines that dont work.
Cheaper to buy numerous tickets for the same journey than one.
Trains delayed.
Trains cancelled.
Last minute platform changes.
Bull**** announcements about delays.
Rude staff.
Ignorant staff.
New Hitachi trains that never arrive.
Dirty trains.
Signalling failures.
Freight trains..
Late train crews.
Crap GWR train app where you cant buy the right ticket unless its a week in advance.
Cheaper diesel. More expensive journeys.
Losing the buffet cars.
Fatcat salaries.
And on and on.....
Turin Machine
And I used to love those buffet cats! rolleyes.gif
Andy Capp
QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Feb 14 2017, 11:15 PM) *
Last minute platform changes.

And can't even be bothered to announce on the board of the platform it was due at. That caused me to lose my religion that did.
TallDarkAndHandsome
QUOTE (Turin Machine @ Feb 14 2017, 11:56 PM) *
And I used to love those buffet cats! rolleyes.gif

Corrected.
Biker1
Was going to be reply to the list of comments by TDH but changed my mind!
blackdog
QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Feb 14 2017, 11:15 PM) *
Most expensive per mile in the EU.

Well, at least that one is going to change.
On the edge
QUOTE (blackdog @ Feb 17 2017, 09:44 AM) *
Well, at least that one is going to change.

Yes, once our contributions cease and the EU can't redistribute it to covertly subsidise Greek public transport etc.
blackdog
QUOTE (On the edge @ Feb 17 2017, 09:49 AM) *
Yes, once our contributions cease and the EU can't redistribute it to covertly subsidise Greek public transport etc.

No, once we leave the EU, when even as the prices rise and grow even more expesive than any in the EU, they will not be in the EU.

On the edge
QUOTE (blackdog @ Feb 17 2017, 04:04 PM) *
No, once we leave the EU, when even as the prices rise and grow even more expesive than any in the EU, they will not be in the EU.

Any idea where the EU will get the money to replace our contribution?

Currency fluctuations will also affect the Euro.
TallDarkAndHandsome
QUOTE (On the edge @ Feb 17 2017, 07:12 PM) *

We wont be leaving anything... By the end of the summer the EU will be no more.
Turin Machine
QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Feb 17 2017, 09:04 PM) *
We wont be leaving anything... By the end of the summer the EU will be no more.

Don't count your chickens just yet, a Mr T Blair has crawled out from under his stone and he's on the case now! Ohnoes! 11111 eleventy! We're all in trouble now!
TallDarkAndHandsome
QUOTE (Turin Machine @ Feb 17 2017, 09:37 PM) *
Don't count your chickens just yet, a Mr T Blair has crawled out from under his stone and he's on the case now! Ohnoes! 11111 eleventy! We're all in trouble now!

If you want a laugh just review the HYS comments on BBC. He is as popular as Gary Glitter.
blackdog

From the tariffs they place on imports from the UK? And the savings on payments to our MEPs.

They affect all currencies - the collapse in the pound is not all bad - we may have to pay 20% more for imports, but we can always decide not to buy them. Meanwhile UK goods are cheaper on the international market, until prices have to rise to compensate for the higher costs of imported raw materials, fuel etc.

On the real plus side we seem to be getting some inflation, leading to higher interest rates, diminishing mortgages etc - at last!
Turin Machine
QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Feb 17 2017, 09:53 PM) *
If you want a laugh just review the HYS comments on BBC. He is as popular as Gary Glitter.

The man's an utter clownshoe.
Biker1
Back on "track" tongue.gif
If GWR lost the franchise who do you think may be suitable to take it over and how do you think things will improve by doing so?
Same trains. (Although they will be a nice new colour!)
Same staff. (Although in nice new uniforms!)
Same track.
Same stations.
Same ticket machines.
Same PA / information system. (With what I will agree is often poor / late information.)
Same signals.
Same track circuits. (Being replaced by axle counters, which also seem prone to failure!)
Same freight trains (whatever you mean by that!).
Same lorries hitting bridges.
Same trespassers / suicides.
Same overcrowding.
Same public making trains dirty.
Same cleaners. (Or lack!)
I suppose I could go on but point made??

If you look at other TOC's most if not all have the same issues.
The ones that seem to have the best performance figures are the ones that have the newest trains and the most up to date infrastructure. That is coming with GWR although I will agree, ridiculously overpriced and overdue!. (Not GWR's fault. It would be same situation under any TOC.)
TallDarkAndHandsome
QUOTE (Biker1 @ Feb 18 2017, 06:01 AM) *
Back on "track" tongue.gif
If GWR lost the franchise who do you think may be suitable to take it over and how do you think things will improve by doing so?
Same trains. (Although they will be a nice new colour!)
Same staff. (Although in nice new uniforms!)
Same track.
Same stations.
Same ticket machines.
Same PA / information system. (With what I will agree is often poor / late information.)
Same signals.
Same track circuits. (Being replaced by axle counters, which also seem prone to failure!)
Same freight trains (whatever you mean by that!).
Same lorries hitting bridges.
Same trespassers / suicides.
Same overcrowding.
Same public making trains dirty.
Same cleaners. (Or lack!)
I suppose I could go on but point made??

If you look at other TOC's most if not all have the same issues.
The ones that seem to have the best performance figures are the ones that have the newest trains and the most up to date infrastructure. That is coming with GWR although I will agree, ridiculously overpriced and overdue!. (Not GWR's fault. It would be same situation under any TOC.)

They are still sh!t. 3 trains to London this week and no seat on any day. I did comandeer the toilet on Tuesday. Hope no one pooped themselves. huh.gif
Andy Capp
The things I don't like about GWR are the little things, the detail. Things I think could be changed.

Make the ticket machines print tickets that look like the ones from the box office: they have a nice big 'OUT' and 'RTN' printed in the corner.
Ticket machines: stop obliterating the entire screen with a white box and arrow to show me where to pay, but because of it, I am unable to confirm the ticket I wish to buy. That winds me up a treat.
Put platform alterations on the overhead display of the platform the train was scheduled to arrive at. How many times have I tried to hear a platform alteration just as another bleedin train pulls in.
Make sure the tickertape displays in trains are running and showing the next stations before the train departs. Sod the 'Welcome aboard' message, I want to know it is the correct train.
When you stop the train, say: "This is <insert station name>, please alight now", or something like that; buses do this. I have been sat using my computer waiting for the train to stop and not realise it has stopped, but am not able to see the station as the internal lights are too bright and the station lights are too dim.

There's more, but those spring to mind.
Biker1
QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Feb 23 2017, 01:03 AM) *
They are still sh!t. 3 trains to London this week and no seat on any day. I did comandeer the toilet on Tuesday. Hope no one pooped themselves. huh.gif

Again, would be the same under any TOC.
Biker1
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Feb 23 2017, 02:54 AM) *
The things I don't like about GWR are the little things, the detail. Things I think could be changed.

Make the ticket machines print tickets that look like the ones from the box office: they have I nice big 'OUT' and 'RTN' printed in the corner.

There's more, but those spring to mind.

That's good! rolleyes.gif
The change in ticket design was implemented due to customer request as they found the old style difficult to understand!! laugh.gif
Andy Capp
QUOTE (Biker1 @ Feb 23 2017, 06:06 AM) *

I suspected your sarcasm emulates that of GWR's attitude to its customers, which explains a lot. tongue.gif

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Feb 23 2017, 06:06 AM) *
The change in ticket design was implemented due to customer request as they found the old style difficult to understand!! laugh.gif

My annoyance is the font size. I can't see at a glance which ticket I have. Make 'Outward' look like 'OUTWARD' and 'Return' look like 'RETURN', so I don't need my bleedin readers to see it. Assuming that is the design change you mean? Other than that, I can't see any other real difference.
On the edge
Basic customer service failure is endemic in the UK. We now have legions of mangers who simply don't understand about 'putting themselves in the customers shoes'. As for basic technology 'user testing' - if it works, it goes. Again, sadly, this simply reinforces a concern I had voting Brexit, we don't seem to have the skill sets anymore.
The UK has any amount of supervisors, very few managers and a dearth of leaders. All NCOs and no officers!

It isn't just railways. Sainsbury's for instance, still can't get the self service checkouts right, even for basic 'using own bag'. Try NatWest's automated teller in the branch here in Newbury. Your card goes in the slot one way round and you pay in cheques inserted the other! Complain and you are told 'but it's obvious'.
Biker1
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Feb 23 2017, 10:24 AM) *
I suspected your sarcasm emulates that of GWR's attitude to its customers, which explains a lot. tongue.gif

Not at all!
Just seemed to me ironic that the design was altered as a result of input from passengers which your comment seemed to contradict.
Never mind, you'll be able to print your own soon or even maybe "touch in" like on TFL.
As for GWR's attitude to it's customers, I suspect this may generate some sarcasm of your own!! biggrin.gif
Andy Capp
QUOTE (Biker1 @ Feb 23 2017, 04:51 PM) *
Not at all!
Just seemed to me ironic that the design was altered as a result of input from passengers which your comment seemed to contradict.
Never mind, you'll be able to print your own soon or even maybe "touch in" like on TFL.
As for GWR's attitude to it's customers, I suspect this may generate some sarcasm of your own!! biggrin.gif

I'd like to know what the complaint was and whether the results were an improvement. What is for sure is the box office ticket is way easier to read.
Biker1
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Feb 23 2017, 09:49 PM) *
I'd like to know what the complaint was and whether the results were an improvement. What is for sure is the box office ticket is way easier to read.

Link
Andy Capp
QUOTE (Biker1 @ Feb 26 2017, 08:40 AM) *

I'm sorry but the vending ticket is one big fail. It is nowhere near the suggested design; the font is smaller and the ticket less clear.
Andy Capp
What a shock! rolleyes.gif I suppose I'll just have to guess!

Waste of space service!
TallDarkAndHandsome
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Mar 2 2017, 12:48 AM) *
What a shock! rolleyes.gif I suppose I'll just have to guess!

Waste of space service!

What else do you expect? I was told by a GWR staff member today that spending money on Newbury Train station was a "waste of money".
Exhausted
QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Mar 2 2017, 10:28 PM) *
What else do you expect? I was told by a GWR staff member today that spending money on Newbury Train station was a "waste of money".

He would know of course.

Biker1
QUOTE (Exhausted @ Mar 5 2017, 08:55 PM) *
He would know of course.

Or she! wink.gif
Andy Capp
More great service from our 3rd world rail service:

On Saturday I check the GWR App to see there's a bus replacement on Sunday around 09:15 from Thatcham. Come Sunday morning the app doesn't work (again). Get to Thatcham station in plenty of time and around 09:30 I begin to get that concerned feeling. Fortunately for me an acquaintance has a slightly more reliable app it seems and informs me the bus has been cancelled; next train is an hour away. Brilliant! Which means I won't get to London at the time wanted by some margin. Good job I thumbed as much pish out as I could before I left the house!

Tonight I get on the Plymouth train and the aircon is up the spout; bleeding stunk of sweat in there!
TallDarkAndHandsome
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ May 22 2017, 07:47 PM) *
More great service from our 3rd world rail service:

On Saturday I check the GWR App to see there's a bus replacement on Sunday around 09:15 from Thatcham. Come Sunday morning the app doesn't work (again). Get to Thatcham station in plenty of time and around 09:30 I begin to get that concerned feeling. Fortunately for me an equantance has a slightly more reliable app it seems and informs me the bus has been cancelled; next train is an hour away. Brilliant! Which means I won't get to London at the time wanted by some margin. Good job I thumbed as much pish out as I could before I left the house!

Tonight I get on the Plymouth train and the aircon is up the spout; bleeding stunk of sweat in there!

You were lucky. My train was cancelled due to no train crew and the next one was 20 mins late and no air con either. Then missed my connection at Reading. Useless.
Simon Kirby
QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ May 22 2017, 08:30 PM) *
Useless.

Yet the cost of running the railways has more than doubled in real-terms since privatisation, and all but one of the private train operators receive more in subsidies than they return in franchise payments.

If the state is paying the private rail operators so much public money and the service is still as you say so useless, let's nationalise it and do a better job.
TallDarkAndHandsome
QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ May 22 2017, 08:41 PM) *
Yet the cost of running the railways has more than doubled in real-terms since privatisation, and all but one of the private train operators receive more in subsidies than they return in franchise payments.

If the state is paying the private rail operators so much public money and the service is still as you say so useless, let's nationalise it and do a better job.

I agree with Nationalisation of the Railways but ONLY if the Unions guaranteed a service Monday to Friday and reserved any strike action for weekends. If not I fear the worst.
Andy Capp
QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ May 22 2017, 09:12 PM) *
I agree with Nationalisation of the Railways but ONLY if the Unions guaranteed a service Monday to Friday and reserved any strike action for weekends. If not I fear the worst.

I agree. tongue.gif
Andy Capp
Another miserable evening trying to get home on our retarded train service. All delayed, no information and no one knows anything and last second platform alterations!!!

Oh and GWR have changed the app to make it completely useless as well.
Andy Capp
And another miserable day at Reading station not knowing when trains will appear and an app whose most effective freature is looking green.

It must be the wrong sort of sun.
On the edge
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ May 26 2017, 07:54 PM) *
And another miserable day at Reading station not knowing when trains will appear and an app whose most effective freature is looking green.

It must be the wrong sort of sun.

Umm, try using buses in Newbury, situation far worse. It seems we 'don't do' service technology in the UK anymore.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.