Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Flying low
Newbury Today Forum > Categories > Newbury News
BMR
Did anyone see and recognise a low flying military aircraft flying over Newbury/Woolton Hill today (Tuesday). It circled round at least three times. The first time it was very low indeed.

Any ideas where it took off from, where it was going to, and why it was so low?
Ron
QUOTE (BMR @ Jan 10 2017, 09:25 PM) *
Did anyone see and recognise a low flying military aircraft flying over Newbury/Woolton Hill today (Tuesday). It circled round at least three times. The first time it was very low indeed.

Looked like an Airbus A400M. Has a very distinctive noise probably due to the prop design. Last time I saw it it was heading roughly in the direction of Brize Norton.
motormad
QUOTE (BMR @ Jan 10 2017, 09:25 PM) *

can you not trace the flightpath on FlightRadar or similar apps....
BMR
QUOTE (Ron @ Jan 10 2017, 10:19 PM) *
Looked like an Airbus A400M. Has a very distinctive noise probably due to the prop design. Last time I saw it it was heading roughly in the direction of Brize Norton.

Thanks, Ron. Looking at pictures online, I thought it must be an A400M, but I had never seen one before. I assume it had just taken off from somewhere, being so very low first time round. Do A400's fly out of Welford?
gel
QUOTE (BMR @ Jan 12 2017, 02:40 PM) *
Thanks, Ron. Looking at pictures online, I thought it must be an A400M, but I had never seen one before. I assume it had just taken off from somewhere, being so very low first time round. Do A400's fly out of Welford?

No runway at Welford; believe even choppers don't land there.
je suis Charlie
Wroughton?
Ron
QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ Jan 12 2017, 02:50 PM) *
Wroughton?

No. Can't even put a microlite down there. There is no airfield in close proximity to Newbury that could take it. It was probably just a low pass during a training exercise, although Brize web page doesn't mention one on that day.
je suis Charlie
Lasham?? Grasping at straws now. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.