Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Facebook. We really should link this forum to it, like it or not.
Newbury Today Forum > Categories > Newbury News
Pages: 1, 2
x2lls
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Newburypast...474575914330694

So much more public involvement.

That said. NWN for crying out loud why do you not do your duty and go for it?

Andy Capp
More doesn't necessarily mean better.
Simon Kirby
QUOTE (x2lls @ Sep 22 2016, 10:50 PM) *

I guess I agree that a Facebook group would be a better medium to host a debate - it would certaily be superior on mobile where this forum is pants.

However I don't think Newbury has any great intetest in the kind of critical debate we have here. Newbury Past & Present has a lively following but it's very lightweight and tends to respond badly to negativity. There's a Moaners sister page which looked pretty awful when I last looked in a year ago.
Andy Capp
QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Sep 22 2016, 11:12 PM) *
I guess I agree that a Facebook group would be a better medium to host a debate - it would certaily be superior on mobile where this forum is pants.

However I don't think Newbury has any great intetest in the kind of critical debate we have here. Newbury Past & Present has a lively following but it's very lightweight and tends to respond badly to negativity. There's a Moaners sister page which looked pretty awful when I last looked in a year ago.

Both facespace and this forum are pants on mobile, so I challenge the superior tag, but a lot of that is because mobile browsers are pants. The other thing I noticed is that all the complaints about this site exist in farcebook too.

The best thing about the Newbury fartbook pages are the old photos, but any chances of a good debate soon disappear when the swivel eyed, tree huggers and blue rinsers get going.

Andy Capp
fakebook is more a messageboad than an effective debating medium.
On the edge
It still seems like an ePub debate. The difference between this and Facebook is the difference between saloon bar v public with a couple local FB pages being the car park after closing time.
Simon Kirby
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Sep 23 2016, 03:23 AM) *
fakebook is more a messageboad than an effective debating medium.

Facebook supports an unlimited depth of reply-to-reply and I suggedt that this better supports a debate between multiple people that can take multiple directions. It also directly hosts images and supports embedded content such as youtube and for all these reasons I agree that it is a better medium for discussion.

Do you use the Facebook mobile app? For me it's a reasonable mobile experince though the text-entry field is very small.
Biker1

If this happens then I'm off.
No F/B for me.
(Awaits predictable replies!! tongue.gif )
Simon Kirby
QUOTE (On the edge @ Sep 23 2016, 08:27 AM) *
It still seems like an ePub debate. The difference between this and Facebook is the difference between saloon bar v public with a couple local FB pages being the car park after closing time.

We may be arguing at cross-purposes. I'm talking about the suitability of the Facebook medium to host a debate and not any particular Facebook Group. I'm not aware of a Facebook Group for Newbury where matters are discussed critically, objectively and relatively civilly as I would suggest they are here.

To be fair I think it's remarkable that we can discuss pretty much anything on here without much more than the odd tiff - this place is a virtual monestary compared to the awfulness of the social-mediaverse in general.
Simon Kirby
QUOTE (Biker1 @ Sep 23 2016, 08:45 AM) *
If this happens then I'm off.
No F/B for me.
(Awaits predictable replies!! tongue.gif )

What are you objecting to? You're not obliged to share anything about yourself on Facebook or visit any groups or pages that you don't want to.
Andy Capp
Debates on Facebook are hard work: no word processing or adaquate quoting tool, comments on Facebook can get quickly lost and it is easy to lose the thread. Although more restrictive, one can insert content on here too, so that isn't much of an issue.

The one thing Facebook has over this is a wider participating audience, but that's it.

I do have the Facebook app, but I don't like it. it is too easy to post to an unintended audience.

As I mentioned earlier, the main hassle with content entry on forums is mobile web browsers are rubbish. Notwithstanding my eyesight ain't what it used to be!
Simon Kirby
Yes, the eyesight thing has caught up with me too!
Biker1
The slow but sure death of the forum continues.
The link has now been removed from the main banner on the NWN home page.
Inevitable I suppose when down to less than a dozen contributors and FB / Google rule the world!.
On the edge
QUOTE (Biker1 @ Apr 20 2017, 06:01 AM) *
Inevitable I suppose when down to less than a dozen contributors and FB / Google rule the world!.

It's actually still there. Where the title 'Property Forum' appear on the top line, click on the actual word 'forum' it opens the link to here.

I suspect it's just an error which happened when someone was tidying the website; but I'd not disagree with your sentiments!
Andy Capp
QUOTE (Biker1 @ Apr 20 2017, 06:01 AM) *

It disappears from time to time, but I can see it at the moment.
Biker1
QUOTE (On the edge @ Apr 20 2017, 07:43 AM) *
It's actually still there. Where the title 'Property Forum' appear on the top line, click on the actual word 'forum' it opens the link to here.

Oh yes I see it now.
Moved from the main blue banner.
gel
I see that if you don't use Wastebook, ie registered, that the Newbury page link above, locks you out.
HOW
I'm not an FB fan unless groups are private ones.
Feel like you're on display there LOL

On the subject of this forum dying....
We'll I've had a bit of trouble even getting on.
I had to email some NWN bods.

Looking at the Members List it 'appears' that all the recent joiners are in a state of 'Validating' newest bar me I saw was 2015. Is that right?

SirWilliam
QUOTE (HOW @ Aug 8 2017, 03:12 PM) *
I'm not an FB fan unless groups are private ones.
Feel like you're on display there LOL

On the subject of this forum dying....
We'll I've had a bit of trouble even getting on.
I had to email some NWN bods.

Looking at the Members List it 'appears' that all the recent joiners are in a state of 'Validating' newest bar me I saw was 2015. Is that right?

I know someone who had exactly the same problem . In the end he just gave up . The cynic may well consider that "higher" forces would like to see it close down.
It does not fit into the social media criteria because there is a degree of anonymity and most of the contributors can compose an opinion without resorting to personal diatribe . ( Well I did say most wink.gif ).
blackdog
QUOTE (SirWilliam @ Aug 8 2017, 03:21 PM) *
I know someone who had exactly the same problem . In the end he just gave up . The cynic may well consider that "higher" forces would like to see it close down.
It does not fit into the social media criteria because there is a degree of anonymity and most of the contributors can compose an opinion without resorting to personal diatribe . ( Well I did say most wink.gif ).

If the NWN wants to close it they may as well do so - it's dying a slow death as it is.
On the edge
QUOTE (blackdog @ Aug 8 2017, 05:03 PM) *
If the NWN wants to close it they may as well do so - it's dying a slow death as it is.

Why would NWN want to close it? The stats still show there are thread readers and it costs little to maintain.
SirWilliam
I guess we will only know if it closes when our posts no longer get a reply .
I would think the NWN are quite happy to let it continue but it does need a few more "faces" to diversify the viewpoint away from wouldbe LibDems and won't under any circumstances be LibDems. rolleyes.gif
On the edge
QUOTE (SirWilliam @ Aug 9 2017, 11:30 AM) *
I guess we will only know if it closes when our posts no longer get a reply .
I would think the NWN are quite happy to let it continue but it does need a few more "faces" to diversify the viewpoint away from wouldbe LibDems and won't under any circumstances be LibDems. rolleyes.gif

Odd this, I thought the LibDems had disappeared, certainly not seen anything of them for ages on here! What with UKIP sunk without trace, we are just left with Tory v Labour; those pretending to be rich and influential and those who ain't! huh.gif
SirWilliam
QUOTE (On the edge @ Aug 9 2017, 05:04 PM) *
Odd this, I thought the LibDems had disappeared, certainly not seen anything of them for ages on here! What with UKIP sunk without trace, we are just left with Tory v Labour; those pretending to be rich and influential and those who ain't! huh.gif

Don't they fall into the " won't be LibDem at any cost" category ? Tories only admit their leaning to other Tories and Labour supporters like to be a club member without paying the sub.
dannyboy
Once upon a time this was quite a good forum.

No longer....

Andy Capp
The thing is, one runs out of things to moan about.
Cognosco
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Aug 13 2017, 09:52 AM) *

Probably because our two decrepit local authorities are getting more secretive! rolleyes.gif
dannyboy

nah, it is just the same old record on here...
blackdog

Returning to the orignal post - how do you link a forum and a fb group?

Apart from that there are too many fb groups already do we need another?

On the edge

Very true! Most of the gripes round here are repeated in similar localised social media outlets throughout the country. Some better, some worse. Change is coming, but as usual takes time to get here; so we don't really notice it happening. The famous vision is being delivered and before long, we'll recognise it's not about Newbury, more the conurbation. I suspect it won't be long before 'those councils' start to disappear; courts have gone, NHS commissioning merging, etc. So rather than close this forum, might be better to merge with ones in Reading.
SirWilliam
I thought the idea of any forum was to share views on a particular subject ? We now seem to be more interested in a character assassination on the poster as opposed to indulging in a responsible debate . I am not suggesting we are going to see eye to eye on everything but shouldn't we agree to disagree and embrace the argument ? rolleyes.gif
On the edge
QUOTE (SirWilliam @ Aug 13 2017, 07:45 PM) *
I thought the idea of any forum was to share views on a particular subject ? We now seem to be more interested in a character assassination on the poster as opposed to indulging in a responsible debate . I am not suggesting we are going to see eye to eye on everything but shouldn't we agree to disagree and embrace the argument ? rolleyes.gif

Character assassination comes and goes, usually the last resort when someone can't get their own way. In any event, we are conditioned by party politics and the way education has been delivered for the past decades not to question, so even debate rarely changes minds. The whole country does seem pretty divided right now and down non traditional lines so it's difficult to see a way through this right now. However, on a brighter note, even with though most contributors are anonymous, the level of debate seems far more restrained than local Facebook pages!
Andy Capp
While Facebook has good reach, it is a rubbish platform for debate.
Biker1
QUOTE (SirWilliam @ Aug 13 2017, 07:45 PM) *

Been fighting that battle on here for years SirW.
Good luck, although I have to admit things have improved on here from that aspect lately.
Perhaps due to the diminished number of contributors? unsure.gif
Andy Capp
QUOTE (Biker1 @ Aug 15 2017, 09:34 AM) *
Been fighting that battle on here for years SirW.
Good luck, although I have to admit things have improved on here from that aspect lately.
Perhaps due to the diminished number of contributors? unsure.gif

And therefore fewer daft/antogonisitc posts! tongue.gif

There will also be an element of people 'understanding' one another.
Andy1
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Aug 15 2017, 12:49 PM) *
And therefore fewer daft/antogonisitc posts! tongue.gif

Like this one
Simon Kirby
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Aug 14 2017, 11:52 PM) *
While Facebook has good reach, it is a rubbish platform for debate.

I rather like the way comments can be addressed to specific comments and nest, so that a discussion can go off at something of a tangent without derailing the thread as a whole. FB also makes it really easy to post images as it hosts the image itself, and I like the way it renders a preview of links too. It's a better medium for discussion IMHO.
Simon Kirby
I think we've had a reasonable run, but like newbury.net before, I think the rot's set in here and the forum is in terminal decline.
Andy Capp
QUOTE (Andy1 @ Aug 15 2017, 02:28 PM) *
Like this one

...and this! tongue.gif
Andy Capp
QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Aug 15 2017, 04:45 PM) *
I rather like the way comments can be addressed to specific comments and nest, so that a discussion can go off at something of a tangent without derailing the thread as a whole. FB also makes it really easy to post images as it hosts the image itself, and I like the way it renders a preview of links too. It's a better medium for discussion IMHO.

What I don't like about Facebook:
Searching for comments is tiresome.
You can't format text.
It is no less 'quarrelsome'. In fact I think it is more so than on here or other forums.
Profanity is rife.
Can't quote.
Fragmented debates due to being able to reply to individual replies.
Topics can quickly disappear off the foot of the page.

I think Facebook is a glorified messageboard than a forum.
Andy1
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Aug 15 2017, 06:33 PM) *
...and this! tongue.gif

and this, last word
Andy Capp
QUOTE (Andy1 @ Aug 16 2017, 09:39 AM) *
and this, last word

Addictive, isn't it? wink.gif
SirWilliam
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Aug 16 2017, 10:02 PM) *
Addictive, isn't it? wink.gif

Or sad rolleyes.gif
SirWilliam

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-40676384

If this doesn't justify a rant I don't know what does .
Biker1
QUOTE (SirWilliam @ Aug 17 2017, 08:55 AM) *
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-40676384

If this doesn't justify a rant I don't know what does .

I have spent most of my life ranting about people who gain fun and pleasure fron the suffering and killing of animals.
I give up!
Time for others to take over. sad.gif
(Or you can help by supporting LACS or PETA.)
SirWilliam
QUOTE (Biker1 @ Aug 17 2017, 10:06 AM) *
I have spent most of my life ranting about people who gain fun and pleasure fron the suffering and killing of animals.
I give up!
Time for others to take over. sad.gif
(Or you can help by supporting LACS or PETA.)

Total agreement . My problem with the charity approach is that though the reasoning is sound , the sad reality is that only a few animals actually benefit .
Taking nothing away from the frontline workers but it is rather Cnut-esque in it's achievement . I guess it is in the DNA of Homo Sapien to pursue everything that runs from him and to run from anything that chases .
Andy Capp
That's nature, that is.
On the edge
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Aug 17 2017, 08:27 PM) *
Thats nature, that is.

....and having rules to try and control human nature is civilisation!
Biker1
QUOTE (On the edge @ Aug 18 2017, 10:30 AM) *

Correct OTE.
Very succinctly put! wink.gif
Andy Capp
QUOTE (On the edge @ Aug 18 2017, 10:30 AM) *

Correct, but even the civilised only eat that which runs away.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.