Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bucks leads the way! An answer for local government.
Newbury Today Forum > Categories > Newbury News
On the edge
It seems local government in Bucks is making reform proposals to the government. One being a single whole county authority. Apparently, councils have engaged consultants to help and advise on the options which are being proposed as economy measures.

Is this light at the end of the tunnel and don't we need the same innovative thinking round here? Perhaps it would be worth a note to the Minister just to highlight a few lessons we have learned.
user23
QUOTE (On the edge @ Sep 20 2016, 01:53 PM) *
It seems local government in Bucks is making reform proposals to the government. One being a single whole county authority. Apparently, councils have engaged consultants to help and advise on the options which are being proposed as economy measures.

Is this light at the end of the tunnel and don't we need the same innovative thinking round here? Perhaps it would be worth a note to the Minister just to highlight a few lessons we have learned.
The proposals are for two local authorities in Buckinghamshire actually. Milton Keynes will stay a separate council.
Simon Kirby
Proposals here: http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/news/2016/septem...ave-18m-a-year/

Amalgamating makes sense to me because of the economy of scale, but I also like the idea of local boards to keep decision-making local. That does of course duplicate the function of the parish-level tier of local government and that is certainly one bonfire of the vanities that I'd pay good money to ignite.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.