Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Big data; big brother?
Newbury Today Forum > Categories > Random Rants
On the edge
OK, surveillance CCTV is turned off because of 'the cuts' although in many places its likely to be the first cut restored; simply because of the public disquiet. Although we are (or were) the most watched nation; most people really don't mind. Of late, there have been a couple of other potential intrusions, seemingly quite different and separate. That is, the Energy Regulator is proposing to circulate the details of all gas and electricity users who haven't switched supplier in the previous three years. Following close behind, the retail bank regulatory people are proposing to do the same. Apparently; this market forces lark isn't working! Then, today, I've just heard that the NHS are wheedling through a process which will 'allow' doctors to sell medical details they hold to 'big responsible firms'. Now as our IT buffs will doubtless tell us, it wouldn't be that difficult to connect all this data together.....

Perhaps no one else is worried; is it really an issue if the Government want to tell me to shop at Aldi rather than Waitrose? And won't it be far more convenient not having to vote because they've been able to determine my voting intention.....
TallDarkAndHandsome
QUOTE (On the edge @ Aug 10 2016, 04:25 PM) *
OK, surveillance CCTV is turned off because of 'the cuts' although in many places its likely to be the first cut restored; simply because of the public disquiet. Although we are (or were) the most watched nation; most people really don't mind. Of late, there have been a couple of other potential intrusions, seemingly quite different and separate. That is, the Energy Regulator is proposing to circulate the details of all gas and electricity users who haven't switched supplier in the previous three years. Following close behind, the retail bank regulatory people are proposing to do the same. Apparently; this market forces lark isn't working! Then, today, I've just heard that the NHS are wheedling through a process which will 'allow' doctors to sell medical details they hold to 'big responsible firms'. Now as our IT buffs will doubtless tell us, it wouldn't be that difficult to connect all this data together.....

Perhaps no one else is worried; is it really an issue if the Government want to tell me to shop at Aldi rather than Waitrose? And won't it be far more convenient not having to vote because they've been able to determine my voting intention.....

Pop all that data into a data lake and then get Power BI or SAS to get some decent analytics results (with some nice graphics from something like github) and watch those cold calls multiply... 😉
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.