Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Corbyn
Newbury Today Forum > Categories > Random Rants
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Andy Capp
I think Governments eventually lose elections, rather than win them. I remember the tories were written off in the same way when Bliar got in.
GMR
QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Sep 26 2016, 07:47 PM) *
No, really, I have no idea what you're point is.

Really?

If you have something to say then out with it. Yes, I'm sure there were seats available, but it was packed and it was a legitimate stunt to highlight the fact that too many trains are packed. Had the train been empty then it would indeed have been a dishonest representation, but there were other passengers sitting in corridors and they weren't pulling a stunt, it's just what you do on a packed train.

I am glad you agree it was a "stunt", but a stunt can be seen as a lie, seeing as he said it wasn't a stunt.

Semantics? UKIP said very clearly in letters the size of a bus that they would divert the EU contribution to better fund the NHS, and that was knowingly false and dishonest. I have no idea what you think is dishonest about Corbyn taking the considered view that, on balance, remaining in the EU is a better choice for the nation than leaving. You very obviously don't agree with him, but that doesn't make his position dishonest.

"They would divert...."? Really? The only person who can divert anything is the PM of this country. Anybody who knows anything about politics should now that, whether it be, Johnson, Gove or UKIP, they can't make any promises because they weren't in a position to do so.

GMR
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Sep 26 2016, 09:38 PM) *
I have seen no bus advert stating UKIP would divert any money. I saw a proposal that should happen but that isn't the same thing. We weren't voting for a party, we were voting to stay or leave the EU. With Corbyn it is rumoured he was a closet Brexit and his apparent lacklustre support for Remain seemed to support this in some people's eyes.

Good point.

On the edge
QUOTE (GMR @ Sep 27 2016, 04:12 PM) *
Putting it that way I can't really disagree with you, but it is sad that the Tories won't have an opposition.

I doubt if that will worry them, after all Tony Blair had no real opposition.
Simon Kirby
QUOTE (GMR @ Sep 27 2016, 04:17 PM) *
I am glad you agree it was a "stunt", but a stunt can be seen as a lie, seeing as he said it wasn't a stunt.

He could have said it was a gorilla riding a bicycle and you'd argue that it would depend what he meant by "bicycle". It was a legitimate protest at train overcrowding with no misrepresentation involved?

Do you want to have another go at justifying the smear that Corbyn is dishonest?
GMR
QUOTE (On the edge @ Sep 27 2016, 04:46 PM) *
I doubt if that will worry them, after all Tony Blair had no real opposition.

Tony Blair had more opposition than May will get from Corbyn.

GMR
QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Sep 27 2016, 04:51 PM) *
He could have said it was a gorilla riding a bicycle and you'd argue that it would depend what he meant by "bicycle". It was a legitimate protest at train overcrowding with no misrepresentation involved? Do you want to have another go at justifying the smear that Corbyn is dishonest?

I argued it the way it was.

But that isn't what he said; that it was a "legitimate protest". You are playing semantics.

Simon Kirby
QUOTE (GMR @ Sep 27 2016, 05:25 PM) *
I argued it the way it was.

But that isn't what he said; that it was a "legitimate protest". You are playing semantics.

It's not a matter of semantics, it's rhetoric, and you haven't made you point.
GMR
QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Sep 27 2016, 05:52 PM) *
It's not a matter of semantics, it's rhetoric, and you haven't made you point.

I haven't made my point to you because that would put you in an awkward position if I had.

Andy Capp
QUOTE (GMR @ Sep 27 2016, 07:46 PM) *
I haven't made my point to you because that would put you in an awkward position if I had.

If you make your point, we won't tell; promise.
TallDarkAndHandsome
Its all irrelevant anyway. Corbyn wants to spend £500 billion. No one in the EU and blighty will have a pot to piss in soon...

Get stocked up.
Simon Kirby
QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Sep 27 2016, 08:25 PM) *
Its all irrelevant anyway. Corbyn wants to spend £500 billion. No one in the EU and blighty will have a pot to piss in soon...

Get stocked up.

Current government spending is in the region of £800billion. See here. Can you explain your complaint?
Turin Machine
Is it not ANOTHER £500 billion?
Turin Machine
I did love the fact that although the labour heartland (oop north like) led the charge to brexit according to Jeremy's pit bull everyone who voted out is a racist. Labour voters will really appreciate that I'm sure.

How to self destruct 101!
Simon Kirby
QUOTE (Turin Machine @ Sep 27 2016, 10:24 PM) *
Is it not ANOTHER £500 billion?

Is it, I don't know - I'm happy to hold up one end of this argument but I really don't think it's asking too much for someone to put bit of effort in on the other end.
Simon Kirby
QUOTE (Turin Machine @ Sep 27 2016, 10:30 PM) *
I did love the fact that although the labour heartland (oop north like) led the charge to brexit according to Jeremy's pit bull everyone who voted out is a racist. Labour voters will really appreciate that I'm sure.

How to self destruct 101!

I suspect the resolution to your apparent paradox is that not everyone who voted brexit is a racist - nice passive aggression btw.
blackdog
QUOTE (GMR @ Sep 27 2016, 05:24 PM) *
Tony Blair had more opposition than May will get from Corbyn.

Judging by the number of government U-turns in the last year there is a pretty effective opposition somewhere.
TallDarkAndHandsome
QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Sep 27 2016, 09:28 PM) *
Current government spending is in the region of £800billion. See here. Can you explain your complaint?

Not even relevant. Sorry Simon. Corbyn wants to spend another 500 billion. If I promised to spend 200 trillion extra would you vote for me? Time to take the pill that tells the truth. Ignore it if makes u feel better. March 2018. My guess. If not before. Depends on how the run on DB gos.

Turin Machine
QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Sep 27 2016, 10:48 PM) *
I suspect the resolution to your apparent paradox is that not everyone who voted brexit is a racist - nice passive aggression btw.

Why, thank you. I try, I try.
Simon Kirby
QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Sep 27 2016, 11:03 PM) *
Not even relevant. Sorry Simon. Corbyn wants to spend another 500 billion. If I promised to spend 200 trillion extra would you vote for me? Time to take the pill that tells the truth. Ignore it if makes u feel better. March 2018. My guess. If not before. Depends on how the run on DB gos.

That's just an expression of contempt for the idea, it's not a reasoned argument - can you say more specifically what the proposal is and why it's a bad thing?
Andy Capp
It seems Mr Corbyn is not acknowledging one of the core reasons many of his core voters voted Brexit: immigration. He is not acknowledging a need to mange immigration.

I suppose this has two sides to it: an acknowledgment of the need for immigration whether on economic grounds or humanitarian, but may also come at a cost to his party of which he is of course the leader.
Simon Kirby
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Sep 28 2016, 07:57 AM) *
It seems Mr Corbyn is not acknowledging one of the core reasons many of his core voters voted Brexit: immigration. He is not acknowledging a need to mange immigration.

I suppose this has two sides to it: an acknowledgment of the need for immigration whether on economic grounds or humanitarian, but may also come at a cost to his party of which he is of course the leader.

The problem isn't immigration, the problem is that areas of the UK have been underinvested for the last 40 years and people are just fed up with their miserable lot, so it's understandable when people blame foreigners.
GMR
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Sep 27 2016, 08:25 PM) *
If you make your point, we won't tell; promise.

It is our secret wink.gif

TallDarkAndHandsome
QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Sep 28 2016, 11:30 AM) *
The problem isn't immigration, the problem is that areas of the UK have been underinvested for the last 40 years and people are just fed up with their miserable lot, so it's understandable when people blame foreigners.

So the problem is not massive population growth?
I strongly disagree. Its not foreigners as you say but it is numbers.
We simply cannot cope with the massive numbers of people coming into the country in a few short years. You cant build infrastructure quick enough to cope. I feel this is where brexiteers are wrongly labelled racist. Its such a shame that rational discussion is always hijacked by some. Not you Simon. Id have a pint with you and chew the fat. Others who always see things that sometimes are just not there.
On the edge
QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Sep 28 2016, 10:18 PM) *
So the problem is not massive population growth?
I strongly disagree. Its not foreigners as you say but it is numbers.
We simply cannot cope with the massive numbers of people coming into the country in a few short years. You cant build infrastructure quick enough to cope. I feel this is where brexiteers are wrongly labelled racist. Its such a shame that rational discussion is always hijacked by some. Not you Simon. Id have a pint with you and chew the fat. Others who always see things that sometimes are just not there.

I don't think Labours policy is much different; simply they won't be drawn on pin point numbers. You are right, the infrastructure in the fullest meaning of the word is indeed collapsing in a fair few areas. Get that put put right, properly right, and most won't give a tinkers cuss about where their neighbour might have come from. That's just what Jeremy Corbyn has said at their conference. Of course, the fastest way to create the infrastructure is to increase the size of the workforce, that necessarily means immigrants, just as it did in 1950s, when from the NHS, London Transport, Imperial Tyoewriters etc.etc.etc. immigrant labour was demanded.
TallDarkAndHandsome
QUOTE (On the edge @ Sep 28 2016, 10:35 PM) *
I don't think Labours policy is much different; simply they won't be drawn on pin point numbers. You are right, the infrastructure in the fullest meaning of the word is indeed collapsing in a fair few areas. Get that put put right, properly right, and most won't give a tinkers cuss about where their neighbour might have come from. That's just what Jeremy Corbyn has said at their conference. Of course, the fastest way to create the infrastructure is to increase the size of the workforce, that necessarily means immigrants, just as it did in 1950s, when from the NHS, London Transport, Imperial Tyoewriters etc.etc.etc. immigrant labour was demanded.

You have a point. How will we go about making sure that the people who are coming in will contribute to the infrastructure build? Id like to see it and pay them well. Does this mean you would only accept a percentage who would not? Or take everyone whether they do or not and just hope for the best?
Turin Machine
Meanwhile, all the immigrant influx are guaranteed a job, at at least £10ph as well as everyone already here. Err, I think I can see a flaw in the argument.
je suis Charlie
[quote name='Simon Kirby' date='Sep 27 2016, 10:48 PM' post='111984']
[T?/quote]
Then of course theres the ever popular Jackie walkers delightful stance on the holocaust. Anti Semitism in the Labour party? Why would we think that?
On the edge
QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Sep 28 2016, 10:46 PM) *
You have a point. How will we go about making sure that the people who are coming in will contribute to the infrastructure build? Id like to see it and pay them well. Does this mean you would only accept a percentage who would not? Or take everyone whether they do or not and just hope for the best?

No matter what, as you say, there will be a gap before we have a decent infrastructure. That does mean that there is an immediate issue; that of reassuring the population that matters are in control. In my view, this means controls who comes to the Country with the intention of staying. We therefore need to determine the rules and means of enforcement, which must have public confidence. Its this that ought to inform the debate and the test should be public acceptance and there are ways to determine that, other than the easily manipulated concentration on raw numbers.
On the edge
QUOTE (Turin Machine @ Sep 28 2016, 10:59 PM) *
Meanwhile, all the immigrant influx are guaranteed a job, at at least £10ph as well as everyone already here. Err, I think I can see a flaw in the argument.

Phew, your mate Phil Green unloaded his shop just in time didn't he?

Turin Machine
Good bloke is Phil, Christmas card every year.
Turin Machine
"Jeremy Corbyn has made his first major changes since being re-elected as Labour’s leader, appointing his allies Diane Abbott and Shami Chakrabarti to top jobs within the shadow cabinet."

Wow! So Shami gets a peerage and a front bench job for clearing her buddy of anti Semitism. Nice work if you can get it! But nothing suspicious there. Just labour doing its thing.
Andy Capp
A racist as Shadow Home Sec!
TallDarkAndHandsome
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Oct 7 2016, 06:46 AM) *
A racist as Shadow Home Sec!

I thought it was OK to be racist if you were not white?😄
Andy Capp
QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Oct 7 2016, 08:32 AM) *
I thought it was OK to be racist if you were not white?😄

I hear what you are saying and it would seem it is 'alright', but a racist will always be a racist, regardless of reason! wink.gif
je suis Charlie
So, A racist, an anti Semite and a baroness walk into a bar, and the bartender says ? Feel free to add your own ending!
Biker1
QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ Oct 7 2016, 10:15 AM) *
So, A racist, an anti Semite and a baroness walk into a bar, and the bartender says ? Feel free to add your own ending!

"Looks like you're heading for a party later?"
"No, we're just good friends."
Turin Machine

"So Jeremy, what'll it be?"

"Ooh, I think we will have a bucket of whitewash thanks, with a side order of hypocrisy"
On the edge

Just here for the racing or do you live here?
Turin Machine
If anyone needs any evidence of the political indoctrination of the BBC, just watch Friday's hignfy Solid, turgid right bashing. So boring and all at our expense.
x2lls
QUOTE (Turin Machine @ Oct 7 2016, 10:12 PM) *
If anyone needs any evidence of the political indoctrination of the BBC, just watch Friday's hignfy Solid, turgid right bashing. So boring and all at our expense.

In addition, the *** BBC will not allow HYS on real issues. Those fools still have an anti brexit agenda.
TallDarkAndHandsome
QUOTE (x2lls @ Oct 7 2016, 11:29 PM) *
In addition, the *** BBC will not allow HYS on real issues. Those fools still have an anti brexit agenda.

And it turns out 100s of BBC employees allegedly have not been paying the correct tax!! Hopefully HMRC will prosecute.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.bbc.co.uk/...=ms-android-lge

Do as we say. Not as we do.....
JeffG
QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Oct 8 2016, 07:48 AM) *
And it turns out 100s of BBC employees allegedly have not been paying the correct tax!! Hopefully HMRC will prosecute.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.bbc.co.uk/...=ms-android-lge

Do as we say. Not as we do.....

Ah the evil IR35! The bane of contractors everywhere, making it virtually impossible to work as a self-employed person. Fortunately, its introduction roughly coincided with my retirement.
Andy Capp
QUOTE (JeffG @ Oct 8 2016, 10:18 AM) *
Ah the evil IR35! The bane of contractors everywhere, making it virtually impossible to work as a self-employed person. Fortunately, its introduction roughly coincided with my retirement.

I understand you can but you pay more tax than before.
Andy Capp
QUOTE (JeffG @ Oct 8 2016, 10:18 AM) *

I understand you can but you pay more tax than before.
je suis Charlie
"Russia has deployed nuclear-capable Iskander missiles in its Kaliningrad region, bordering Poland and Lithuania. Linas Linkevicius, foreign minister of Nato-member Lithuania, said that the aim of the move was to "seek concessions from the West".

So, still nothing to worry about is it Jeremy, only Russia using the threat of nuclear exchange, move along now, nothing to see here!
newres
QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ Oct 8 2016, 05:28 PM) *
"Russia has deployed nuclear-capable Iskander missiles in its Kaliningrad region, bordering Poland and Lithuania. Linas Linkevicius, foreign minister of Nato-member Lithuania, said that the aim of the move was to "seek concessions from the West".

So, still nothing to worry about is it Jeremy, only Russia using the threat of nuclear exchange, move along now, nothing to see here!

Muddled argument there. So why isn't the vast nuclear arsenal deterring them?
je suis Charlie
Cos theirs is Bigger and they are aware of the rise of soft leftists in Europe. Ooh, nuclear weaponry is nasty! We don't want that!
newres
QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ Oct 8 2016, 07:56 PM) *
Cos theirs is Bigger and they are aware of the rise of soft leftists in Europe. Ooh, nuclear weaponry is nasty! We don't want that!

Really? Donald Trump, May, Farage and Johnson? You're 'avin' a larff! laugh.gif
je suis Charlie
Clinton, Corbyn. And that's not funny.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.