Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: EU fail #1: low CO2 targets and filthy diesels cars
Newbury Today Forum > Categories > Random Rants
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Andy Capp
My spin, but it's fun.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-34...r-filthier.html
je suis Charlie
Oh no! Plagues of locusts oer the earth, world stops spinning, sun explodes, woe is me! Oh, and AC reads the Wail! tongue.gif
Andy Capp
Yes I do, but I don't inhale and only the bits I approve of or supports my views! tongue.gif
blackdog
Interesting spin - mine would be:

EU attempt to save lives foiled by UK government bungling.
Biker1
QUOTE (blackdog @ Mar 2 2016, 12:07 PM) *

OK, but trouble is the EU has no control over the world's worst polluters.
Andy Capp
QUOTE (blackdog @ Mar 2 2016, 11:07 AM) *

I'm not sure about that, this is the bit that inspired my headline: The New Labour government decided to do that in the wake of a 1998 EU directive, which compelled Britain to cut CO2 emissions from vehicles by 25 per cent by 2020.
Turin Machine
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Mar 2 2016, 12:19 PM) *
I'm not sure about that, this is the bit that inspired my headline: The New Labour government decided to do that in the wake of a 1998 EU directive, which compelled Britain to cut CO2 emissions from vehicles by 25 per cent by 2020.

But petrol cars are the worst polluters of CO2, so drive a diesel! Ah, see the problem?
Turin Machine
Bump!!

VW, up 17% in the states while every one else including the likes of GM are down, static or at best 2% up and what's helping to fuel the rise? Yup, you guessed it, peoples who took vw up on their offer to buy back their nasty products going back into showrooms to buy another. Ask me? They deserve Donald.
Turin Machine
Volkswagen said profit at its troubled core division soared in the first three months of the year, first-quarter operating profit at VW's largest division surged to 869 million euros ($948.9 million) from 73 million a year earlier, the carmaker said on Wednesday, group operating profit jumped 40 percent to 4.37 billion euros in the three months to the end of March, one of the carmaker's highest-ever quarterly results. The Wolfsburg-based group expects the 2017 return on sales to come in between 6 and 7 percent, after reaching 6.7 percent in 2016, and group revenue to exceed last year's record 217 billion euros by as much as 4 percent. smile.gif
je suis Charlie
On the edge
QUOTE (Turin Machine @ May 3 2017, 12:20 PM) *
Volkswagen said profit at its troubled core division soared in the first three months of the year, first-quarter operating profit at VW's largest division surged to 869 million euros ($948.9 million) from 73 million a year earlier, the carmaker said on Wednesday, group operating profit jumped 40 percent to 4.37 billion euros in the three months to the end of March, one of the carmaker's highest-ever quarterly results. The Wolfsburg-based group expects the 2017 return on sales to come in between 6 and 7 percent, after reaching 6.7 percent in 2016, and group revenue to exceed last year's record 217 billion euros by as much as 4 percent. smile.gif

Was it Lincoln who said you can only govern with the consent of the people.

The public take as much notice of the 'emission figures' as they did of the 'miles per gallon' numbers in years gone by.
Andy Capp
QUOTE (On the edge @ May 3 2017, 01:35 PM) *
Was it Lincoln who said you can only govern with the consent of the people.

The public take as much notice of the 'emission figures' as they did of the 'miles per gallon' numbers in years gone by.

Which is why it is important that mummy is there to hide the matches in a safe place, just in case baby finds them!
je suis Charlie
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ May 3 2017, 08:22 PM) *
Which is why it is important that mummy is there to hide the matches in a safe place, just in case baby finds them!

It might help if you didn't just bump the keyboard with your forehead.
On the edge
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ May 3 2017, 08:22 PM) *

Yes, quite right; the key is 'in a safe place'!

I must admit, when it comes to this type of failure, which is akin to tax dodging by certain big companies the underlying problem is that the Government (Mummy) has failed to create the right rules and certainly failed to properly manage adherence. i.e. a good example of good adherence is Weights and Measures, their tests (periodically) will include the software and mechanics of the scale they are testing.
Andy Capp
That's right: while we have companies that do things like VW did and a load of baying sheep that suck-up their hype, we need an authority to protect us. Sadly we were let down and people are apparently dying because of it.
newres
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ May 4 2017, 09:24 AM) *
That's right: while we have companies that do things like VW did and a load of baying sheep that suck-up their hype, we need an authority to protect us. Sadly we were let down and people are apparently dying because of it.

We should start seeing less of them post Brexit as people won't be able to afford them.
Turin Machine
QUOTE (newres @ May 4 2017, 09:36 AM) *
We should start seeing less of them post Brexit as people won't be able to afford them.

Only poor people old boy, only poor people.
gel
Let's not forget Gordon Brown drove this cheered on by the myopic green lobby.

Besides those purchased by private owners, many companies on the CO2
reduction excursion/ green agenda, changed their company car policies overnight.
Their employees with jobs requiring company cars had to accept diesel cars.
And business purchasers were by far the biggest share of the market.
Berkshirelad
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ May 4 2017, 09:24 AM) *

I still don't see that VW has done anything wrong legally.

They were given a set of regulations and testing conditions and optimised their vehicles to that regime.

US manufacturers have been doing it for decades. In California, exhausts emissions are set lower than other states. What did GM. Ford, etc do - simply added an engine-driven air pump to dilute the exhaust gas prior to the tailpipe so that the lower CO percentages were reached. This, of course, didn't change the overall exhaust pollution at all.
Berkshirelad
QUOTE (gel @ May 6 2017, 06:51 PM) *
Let's not forget Gordon Brown drove this cheered on by the myopic green lobby.

Besides those purchased by private owners, many companies on the CO2
reduction excursion/ green agenda, changed their company car policies overnight.
Their employees with jobs requiring company cars had to accept diesel cars.
And business purchasers were by far the biggest share of the market.

This whole thing is nothing to do with clean air and saving lives, but just another way of raising revenue.

If diesels were actually so bad, they would be banned altogether on health grounds, but this is not what is happening merely additional tax and all those filthy black cabs, vans, buses, etc get off scot free.

Scrappage makes not a blind bit of difference for me. I have an old (2002) diesel Rover 75 and I am about to retire. Even if the government offered me £5000 scrappage, I still could not afford a new car.
On the edge
QUOTE (Berkshirelad @ May 8 2017, 09:47 AM) *
This whole thing is nothing to do with clean air and saving lives, but just another way of raising revenue.

If diesels were actually so bad, they would be banned altogether on health grounds, but this is not what is happening merely additional tax and all those filthy black cabs, vans, buses, etc get off scot free.

Wot; like they've banned smoking!
Turin Machine
If they want to save lives, ban tobacco, alcohol and fast food. That's a few hundred thousand lives saved per year.
James_Trinder
QUOTE (Berkshirelad @ May 8 2017, 09:47 AM) *
Even if the government offered me £5000 scrappage, I still could not afford a new car.

That is true but you would be most of the way to a new Dacia at £6000.
Andy Capp
QUOTE (Berkshirelad @ May 8 2017, 09:41 AM) *
I still don't see that VW has done anything wrong legally. They were given a set of regulations and testing conditions and optimised their vehicles to that regime.

There's a thing called lying by omission, but if VW did nothing wrong, I'm surprised they are willing to spend so much money 'rectifying' the issue.
Andy Capp
QUOTE (Turin Machine @ May 8 2017, 01:06 PM) *
If they want to save lives, ban tobacco, alcohol and fast food. That's a few hundred thousand lives saved per year.

Quite, but then what would the poor and unintelligent people do with their day.
Andy Capp
...spend all their time on here complaining about things, probably.
Berkshirelad
QUOTE (James_Trinder @ May 8 2017, 01:39 PM) *
That is true but you would be most of the way to a new Dacia at £6000.

maybe, but they don't offer a hybrid or electric version at anywhere like £6000
On the edge
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ May 8 2017, 02:07 PM) *
Quite, but then what would the poor and unintelligent people do with their day.

LibDems missed a trick, this is allegedly the core Brexit vote!
Biker1
QUOTE (Turin Machine @ May 8 2017, 01:06 PM) *

In addition to that don't take the train, they have nasty diesel engines too. In fact the HST's have German ones!
Oh and don't buy all those goods in the supermarkets, nasty diesel lorries bring them.
Oh and don't expect cheap consumer goods from the Far East, they come in diesel powered ships.
For the same reason don't book that cruise.
Can't take the bus either because guess what.......
Come to think of it how much NOX does a plane pump out? Better be safe and cancel that holiday / business trip.
And think of all the money saved not building that extra runway at Heathrow.
No, the only way to get about is to drive a nice, environment friendly petrol car that pumps out perfumed fresh air!
tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif
Andy Capp
QUOTE (Biker1 @ May 8 2017, 05:30 PM) *
In addition to that don't take the train, they have nasty diesel engines too. In fact the HST's have German ones!
Oh and don't buy all those goods in the supermarkets, nasty diesel lorries bring them.
Oh and don't expect cheap consumer goods from the Far East, they come in diesel powered ships.
For the same reason don't book that cruise.
Can't take the bus either because guess what.......
Come to think of it how much NOX does a plane pump out? Better be safe and cancel that holiday / business trip.
And think of all the money saved not building that extra runway at Heathrow.
No, the only way to get about is to drive a nice, environment friendly petrol car that pumps out perfumed fresh air!
tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif

Once we're out of the EU we will be able to go round dumping NOx at our leisure.
je suis Charlie
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ May 8 2017, 07:44 PM) *
Once we're out of the EU we will be able to go round dumping NOx at our leisure.

Oh, if you insist!
Simon Kirby
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ May 8 2017, 07:44 PM) *

There won't be any of those new-fangled Diesel engines once we've taken back control and all the nasty foreigners have taken their horrid foreign technology with them - it'll be back to good old-fashioned British engineering for everyone...
je suis Charlie
Too techy for me, I'm saving up for a nice Ford pilot V8. Latest fing round here, gonna be a babe magnet, flat head, side valves, all in a tasteful black. Gonna bling it up with some 12" rimz an a nice nickle rad cap wiv dat whirly fing Inna middle. Gonna be totally cool man, might save up n buy some of dem wicked whitewall tyres for it. 'S gonna be like so totally Bonnie n Clyde, make yer eyes pop n dat! cool.gif
On the edge
QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ May 8 2017, 08:41 PM) *
There won't be any of those new-fangled Diesel engines once we've taken back control and all the nasty foreigners have taken their horrid foreign technology with them - it'll be back to good old-fashioned British engineering for everyone...

This, for me, encapsulates the biggest, and to be honest, only real problem with us leaving Europe. We simply don't have the innovative or managerial competence to survive on our own, if ever we did.

Our survival in Europe, once we'd spent the cash we got from 'selling the farm' was as Europe's low wage, bang it together zone.

Where now?
Andy Capp
QUOTE (On the edge @ May 9 2017, 07:31 AM) *
This, for me, encapsulates the biggest, and to be honest, only real problem with us leaving Europe. We simply don't have the innovative or managerial competence to survive on our own, if ever we did.

Our survival in Europe, once we'd spent the cash we got from 'selling the farm' was as Europe's low wage, bang it together zone.

Where now?

More the same, except we have the illusion of being in control that the Monster Raving Tories can exploit.
On the edge
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ May 9 2017, 07:50 AM) *
More the same, except we have the illusion of being in control that the Monster Raving Tories can exploit.

Yes, that seems to be the reality. Ironic, because if we'd stayed in, the EU was likely to have had another 'Greece' on its hands in a decade or so. Coming out, they'll have the advantage of a low wage area to exploit; without the worry. Triples all round
je suis Charlie
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ May 9 2017, 07:50 AM) *

Keyboard, meet forehead. Forehead? Meet keyboard.
Berkshirelad
QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ May 8 2017, 08:41 PM) *

Oi!

There was nothing wrong with the Morris Marina/Ital...

....that couldn't be sorted out with 5 gallons of petrol and a match...
je suis Charlie

I loved this,. I think Sir Timothy John Berners-Lee would love the irony of this complaint written on the internet. laugh.gif
Turin Machine
QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ May 9 2017, 09:35 AM) *
I loved this,. I think Sir Timothy John Berners-Lee would love the irony of this complaint written on the internet. laugh.gif

One presumes he wrote it using a computer (or similar device) so Charles Babbage might wish to weigh in as well. 👦
Andy Capp

Why?
Turin Machine
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ May 9 2017, 11:30 AM) *
Why?

Perhaps he was thinking of this, "Sir Timothy John Berners-Lee OM KBE FRS FREng FRSA FBCS, also known as TimBL, is an English computer scientist, best known as the inventor of the World Wide Web." (Wiki)

Not the Internet per se but widely acknowledged as being the father of the internet.
Andy Capp
QUOTE (Turin Machine @ May 9 2017, 12:09 PM) *
Perhaps he was thinking of this, "Sir Timothy John Berners-Lee OM KBE FRS FREng FRSA FBCS, also known as TimBL, is an English computer scientist, best known as the inventor of the World Wide Web." (Wiki)

Not the Internet per se but widely acknowledged as being the father of the internet.

Yes I see that, but I am unsure of the relevance in the argument as the inspiration, finance and support he received was through a multinational initiative, not in his shed in Battersea. CERN is an example of nations working together and not going it alone.
Turin Machine
We simply don't have the innovative or managerial competence to survive on our own.

I think he was demonstrating the paucity of the argument re lack of innovative competence and commenting on the irony of it all. Honestly, you can take it or leave it really.
On the edge

Good, a response which graphically illustrates our problems; certainly two of them. And I've taken penicillin. If you can, think about it, but that might just uncover another national problem.
je suis Charlie
QUOTE (On the edge @ May 9 2017, 01:49 PM) *
Good, a response which graphically illustrates our problems; certainly two of them. And I've taken penicillin. If you can, think about it, but that might just uncover another national problem.

Yeah but, don't be too hasty checking your DNA, might be paddling in the shallow end of the gene pool. smile.gif
Turin Machine
QUOTE (On the edge @ May 9 2017, 01:49 PM) *

The biggest problem we have is people like you, but not exclusively you, doing nothing but running the country down. The world won't stop spinning when we brexit, neither will countries like Germany want to stop trading. It's all scare stories and doom mongering when we should be looking forward to the future free of the hateful apron strings of people like Jean Claude.
On the edge
QUOTE (Turin Machine @ May 9 2017, 03:39 PM) *
The biggest problem we have is people like you, but not exclusively you, doing nothing but running the country down. The world won't stop spinning when we brexit, neither will countries like Germany want to stop trading. It's all scare stories and doom mongering when we should be looking forward to the future free of the hateful apron strings of people like Jean Claude.

Oh dead, and I actually voted Brexit! What you don't actually like me telling is the truth. Indeed, for Joe Average on the street, there would have been little difference in or out. For me, Brexit should be an opportunity to show case what we can do, creating the high end 'thinking and directing' jobs in this country, realigning our education system to one producing commercial leaders, rather than middle managers.

So, now perhaps you'll understand that my biggest worry about Brexit, is actually people like you; still stuck in the sterile in/out debate, when we should now be worrying about tomorrow. Or do you just want your kids future to be exactly as it was on track for if we'd stayed in?

Come on, move on and lift your thoughts. As far as we are concerned, Jean Claude is as important as the night club bouncer as you leave the premises.
On the edge
QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ May 9 2017, 03:04 PM) *
Yeah but, don't be too hasty checking your DNA, might be paddling in the shallow end of the gene pool. smile.gif

Darwin is supposed to have shown that we are all to apes, I'm just hoping I'm not related to you! tongue.gif
je suis Charlie
QUOTE (On the edge @ May 9 2017, 04:05 PM) *
Darwin is supposed to have shown that we are all to apes, I'm just hoping I'm not related to you! tongue.gif

laugh.gif Don't worry, get a pictorial of evolution, about two thirds of the way up the tree splits into three? Got it? Well, the branch in the middle, that's homo sapiens, the branch on the left, that's Neanderthal man, the branch with no leaves on the right? The dead one? That's homo liberalous, that's you. rolleyes.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.