Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The 100 most annoying things: poll
Newbury Today Forum > Categories > Random Rants
Blake
How awfully true. We in West Berks seem to be afflicted by most of these antisocial phonemena;

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/picturegal...hings-poll.html

Bill1
I'd put No.4 at the top of mine! angry.gif
Branston Pickle
Interesting that diarrhoea is only one ahead of constipation (65 and 66). Also, I find it rather odd that running out of petrol is on there (86). Most cars have a gauge that, should you look at it every now and then, helps to prevent this.
JeffG
Not very well put together, is it? Compare #2 and #32.

Apart from the bad grammar in #22, I wish people wouldn't persist in calling the outside (overtaking) lane the "fast" lane.

And I'd put #71 much, much higher up. Tends to fuel #48. smile.gif
Brewmaster
QUOTE (JeffG @ Sep 7 2009, 02:39 PM) *
And I'd put #71 much, much higher up. Tends to fuel #48. smile.gif

Where else should a driver be who is travelling at just under the legal limit and overtaking slower vehicles which are in the inside lane?
dannyboy
QUOTE (Brewmaster @ Sep 7 2009, 03:27 PM) *
Where else should a driver be who is travelling at just under the legal limit and overtaking slower vehicles which are in the inside lane?

they should be in the middle lane. When done overtaking thwey should return to the inside/nearside lane.

problem is, there is a large proportion of drivers who seem to think that the nearside lane is for trucks, the outside lane for people doing over 80 & the middle lane for them to poottle along at 65.

the inside lane is the correct lane - the other two for overtaking only. but you knew all this.
JeffG
... and what is really, really annoying is when, on a nearly empty stretch of motorway, you have to pull over two lanes and back again to pass one of these idiots.

(Unless you want to give them the fright of their life, but I couldn't possibly condone that smile.gif)
dannyboy
QUOTE (JeffG @ Sep 7 2009, 04:19 PM) *
... and what is really, really annoying is when, on a nearly empty stretch of motorway, you have to pull over two lanes and back again to pass one of these idiots.

(Unless you want to give them the fright of their life, but I couldn't possibly condone that smile.gif)

It works very well in a neutral colour volvo estate.
Bill1
Some of the list is petty and selfish to be honest.

Where is starvation, mass murder, paedophillia, child abuse/neglect etc.?

Having said that I can't believe wasps aren't in there.
user23
QUOTE (Bill1 @ Sep 7 2009, 05:31 PM) *

Very true, it's a list for the selfish and shows how self obsessed society is these days.
Strafin

Having said that I can't believe wasps aren't in there.

It's a list of annoyances. If you find paedophilia, starvation, and mass murder to be merely an annoyance I would suggest that perhaps you are the one who is a bit selfish.
Iommi
Some of the list is petty and selfish to be honest. Where is starvation, mass murder, paedophillia, child abuse/neglect etc.? Having said that I can't believe wasps aren't in there.
QUOTE (user23 @ Sep 7 2009, 05:39 PM) *
Very true, it's a list for the selfish and shows how self obsessed society is these days.
QUOTE (Strafin @ Sep 7 2009, 05:52 PM) *
It's a list of annoyances. If you find paedophilia, starvation, and mass murder to be merely an annoyance I would suggest that perhaps you are the one who is a bit selfish.

Yes, I'd tend to lodge paedophilia, starvation, and mass murder under deeply upset and, or, anger.
Hugh Saskin
QUOTE (dannyboy @ Sep 7 2009, 05:07 PM) *
It works very well in a neutral colour volvo estate.

and this from a bloke who has the affrontery to tell us, on demand, what a good driver he is? At least now, we can draw our own conclusions laugh.gif
dannyboy
QUOTE (Hugh Saskin @ Sep 7 2009, 07:38 PM) *
and this from a bloke who has the affrontery to tell us, on demand, what a good driver he is? At least now, we can draw our own conclusions laugh.gif

HS - where in that post did I say I was doing anything? Your conclusions, as usual are b******s.
Hugh Saskin
QUOTE (dannyboy @ Sep 7 2009, 07:50 PM) *
HS - where in that post did I say I was doing anything? Your conclusions, as usual are bollocks.

Just like most of the pompous stuff of yours on here

tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif
dannyboy
QUOTE (Hugh Saskin @ Sep 7 2009, 07:59 PM) *
Just like most of the pompous stuff of yours on here

tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif

which you just can't help but lap up.

did I mention I was a superb driver?
Iommi
QUOTE (dannyboy @ Sep 7 2009, 03:43 PM) *
they should be in the middle lane. When done overtaking thwey should return to the inside/nearside lane. problem is, there is a large proportion of drivers who seem to think that the nearside lane is for trucks, the outside lane for people doing over 80 & the middle lane for them to poottle along at 65. the inside lane is the correct lane - the other two for overtaking only. but you knew all this.

When ever I've been on the motorway, it has been so busy that one finds themselves perpetually overtaking.
Strafin
Whenever I'm on a motorway, the middle lane is full of people (like my Dad) who are going to be passing someone in a bit so why bother to pull back in? He is alo great at the old "there's a junction coming up so I'll stay in this lane" way of thinking.
Hugh Saskin
QUOTE (dannyboy @ Sep 7 2009, 08:07 PM) *
which you just can't help but lap up.

did I mention I was a superb driver?

That's true - and YES you did (many, many times) !!! laugh.gif
Iommi
QUOTE (Strafin @ Sep 7 2009, 08:16 PM) *
Whenever I'm on a motorway, the middle lane is full of people (like my Dad) who are going to be passing someone in a bit so why bother to pull back in? He is alo great at the old "there's a junction coming up so I'll stay in this lane" way of thinking.

Exactly and it is often true, especially on the way to London. How often does one pull in to the nearside, only to be boxed in at 40 odd MPH until there is a break in the traffic to be able to pull out again....THAT is annoying!
Biker1
QUOTE (Bill1 @ Sep 7 2009, 01:50 PM) *
I'd put No.4 at the top of mine! angry.gif

Yep, agree 12 & 4 they go together.

YuuuKKKK!!! angry.gif

As for driving in the middle lane................ there are many who stay in there even if there is a clear road ahead and you have to either undertake or pull out over 2 lanes to pass them.

Even then they do not get the hint. angry.gif

(If you look as you pass they are ususally the ones who have their seat adjusted so low they can hardly see over the dashboard!!) rolleyes.gif
JeffG
QUOTE (Biker1 @ Sep 8 2009, 09:29 AM) *
they are ususally the ones who have their seat adjusted so low they can hardly see over the dashboard!!

I don't think I've ever owned a car where you can adjust the height of the seat...
Bill1
QUOTE (Strafin @ Sep 7 2009, 05:52 PM) *

Fair comment Strafin.

I can assure you I am not selfish though and my comment was well intended.

ps. If what you say is correct however, why are muggers on the list?
Biker1
QUOTE (JeffG @ Sep 8 2009, 10:03 AM) *
I don't think I've ever owned a car where you can adjust the height of the seat...

You can on mine.

They must all be very short then! biggrin.gif
JeffG
QUOTE (Biker1 @ Sep 8 2009, 11:39 AM) *
You can on mine.

Maybe it's on one of the half-dozen or so knobs, levers and wheels that I've not tried yet smile.gif
Strafin
QUOTE (Bill1 @ Sep 8 2009, 10:20 AM) *
Fair comment Strafin.

I can assure you I am not selfish though and my comment was well intended.

The council workers, police and lefties who took part want muggings to be downgraded to an annoyance so the crime figures look better?
Strafin
Oh and I know you're not selfish! Hopefully you'll forgive my council worker dig.....
user23
QUOTE (Bill1 @ Sep 8 2009, 10:20 AM) *
And why is "Binge drinking culture" on there too?

Iommi
QUOTE (user23 @ Sep 8 2009, 06:56 PM) *
And why is "Binge drinking culture" on there too?

It's annoying keep hearing about this ancient British tradition.
dannyboy
QUOTE (Iommi @ Sep 8 2009, 07:45 PM) *
It's annoying keep hearing about this ancient British tradition.

Aye -

Peter Haydons 'Beer & Britannia' gives a history of the last 2000 years of England & our state of near permanent drunkeness.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.