Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Eurovision Song Contest
Newbury Today Forum > Categories > Random Rants
nerc
For a small country like us i am amazed at the number of countries in the Eurovision Song Contest who are singing in our language.
Does that tell you something or am i just paronoid.
Andy Capp
QUOTE (nerc @ May 10 2014, 08:34 PM) *
For a small country like us i am amazed at the number of countries in the Eurovision Song Contest who are singing in our language.
Does that tell you something or am i just paronoid.

I doubt they're after your job! This is what happens when you speak like imperialist dogs.
On the edge
No, we are just too thick to learn any other language, Berkshire born and Berkshire bred, thick in the arm and thick in the head....
NWNREADER
QUOTE (On the edge @ May 10 2014, 09:21 PM) *
No, we are just too thick to learn any other language, Berkshire born and Berkshire bred, thick in the arm and thick in the head....

I find that offensive. I was not born or bred in berkshire, but I object on behalf of all the people who were - even if they have not read your comment.
I may have to publish
Andy Capp
What people like him above do not realise is the strife we went through when the Normans came and took our land, if he did he probably wouldn't be so flippant.
NWNREADER
Thank you for recognising my higher status..... I was in the part of the world where they Romans landed...... And the Vikings, and the Normans!!! So I suppose being a common reception area for other nationalities today is no surprise

They may take our lives, but they'll never take... OUR FREEDOM!...
Andy Capp
Romans? My Saxon mate still cannot forgive them.
Mr Brown
Good bit of banter my six fingered friends!
Biker1
Do people still watch that shyte?
Wasn't it a bearded (wo)man who won it? (Sorry Simon - or neither!)
Has become a joke which is why Wogan packed it in.
nerc
QUOTE (Biker1 @ May 11 2014, 09:49 AM) *
Do people still watch that shyte?
Has become a joke which is why Wogan packed it in.

Wogan packed it in because he was to old.

I still think its a fantastic show.

My native language is not English but i cannot understand why other countries have to sing or perform in English.

Why dont they sing in in their own language?
pbonnay
QUOTE (nerc @ May 11 2014, 06:59 PM) *

I still think its a fantastic show.

My native language is not English but i cannot understand why other countries have to sing or perform in English.

Why dont they sing in in their own language?

I don't watch it now, but it is an interesting barometer of current opinion (i.e. who the audience boo when the points are awarded).

I imagine most sing in English as that is more likely to get a recording of their performance aired around the world.
Simon Kirby
QUOTE (Biker1 @ May 11 2014, 09:49 AM) *

No problem, I like my music hairy.
MontyPython
I wonder how many voted on the quality of the music and lyrics and how many on other grounds!

We certainly always seem to do badly and I am sure our songs deserve more points.

Surely it is time for us to stop funding this.
Andy Capp
QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ May 11 2014, 07:44 PM) *
No problem, I like my music hairy.

I've never heard of Gentle Giant before.
Strafin
QUOTE (MontyPython @ May 11 2014, 08:13 PM) *
We certainly always seem to do badly and I am sure our songs deserve more points.

Not the ones I've heard! Did Ukraine vote for Russia this year? That's normally a given wink.gif
Biker1
QUOTE (nerc @ May 11 2014, 06:59 PM) *

Quote from "Wikipedia" ( not always the best source I know.)
"After hinting of his intentions on live television during the closing credits of the 2008 contest, on 11 August 2008, Wogan said in an interview with national magazine RadioTimes that he was 'very doubtful' about presenting the Eurovision Song Contest for the United Kingdom again, claiming it was "predictable" and "... no longer a music contest"."

And here.
Simon Kirby
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ May 11 2014, 11:30 PM) *
I've never heard of Gentle Giant before.

Good grief. What do they teach in schools these days?

My favourite track: I Lost My Head. There's a good hour-long set here.
nerc
QUOTE (Biker1 @ May 12 2014, 08:57 AM) *
Quote from "Wikipedia" ( not always the best source I know.)
"After hinting of his intentions on live television during the closing credits of the 2008 contest, on 11 August 2008, Wogan said in an interview with national magazine RadioTimes that he was 'very doubtful' about presenting the Eurovision Song Contest for the United Kingdom again, claiming it was "predictable" and "... no longer a music contest"."

And here.

Exactley "Wogan was to old" as i stated.

He was so old he didnt understand modern music and how people voted for the new era of music.
Andy Capp
QUOTE (nerc @ May 12 2014, 08:49 PM) *

He was so old he didnt understand modern music and how people voted for the new era of music.

tongue.gif
Strafin
I never understood Wogans appeal, but I guess I was never his target audience. The whole children in need thing annoyed me as well.
Biker1

Not how I read it but hey ho!
He was so old he didnt understand modern music

Like me!! tongue.gif
and how people voted for the new era of music.

The voting on the Song Contest has nothing to do with "the new era of music".
"Wogan's irritation has been fuelled by long-standing suggestions that the voting system is a fix with judges from different countries forming political alliances that overlook any possible musical merit."
x2lls

I do believe that is ageism!!!

blink.gif
Simon Kirby
QUOTE (Strafin @ May 13 2014, 01:36 AM) *
I never understood Wogans appeal, but I guess I was never his target audience. The whole children in need thing annoyed me as well.

Same here.
pbonnay
QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ May 13 2014, 04:05 PM) *
Same here.

Agree too. I think at one time Wogan was (or at least the BBC considered him to be) "intellectual crumpet" for bored housewives?
On the edge
I've always been amazed at the longevity of certain presenters, often commanding very high salaries. Given the number of 'performing arts' colleges and establishments, surely its time to give others a chance.
nerc
QUOTE (Biker1 @ May 13 2014, 09:32 AM) *
Not how I read it but hey ho!

Like me!! tongue.gif

The voting on the Song Contest has nothing to do with "the new era of music".
"Wogan's irritation has been fuelled by long-standing suggestions that the voting system is a fix with judges from different countries forming political alliances that overlook any possible musical merit."

I think it has and although you may not agree, i suggest that that is the case.

nerc
QUOTE (x2lls @ May 13 2014, 12:49 PM) *
I do believe that is ageism!!!

blink.gif

So what is your problem with that.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.