Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Channel 4's Secrets of the Scammers
Newbury Today Forum > Categories > Random Rants
Andy Capp
Watching Channel 4's Secrets of the Scammers, one could be forgiven in thinking nearly all the scams we hear about are operated and prosecuted by foreigners, perhpas taking advantage of our feeble boarder controls? ohmy.gif
NWNREADER
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jan 2 2014, 10:48 PM) *
Watching Channel 4's Secrets of the Scammers, one could be forgiven in thinking nearly all the scams we hear about are operated and prosecuted by foreigners, perhpas taking advantage of our feeble boarder controls? ohmy.gif

They are nearly all based overseas, but as many do not require the offender to ever come to the UK there are no border control issues.
Find The Lady, in various forms, has been 'played' for years and is far from uniquely 'foreign'. I have watched the operators on Westminster Bridge and they work in carefully co-ordinated teams, Not much they can do about clumsy passers by who trip over their game, sometimes damaging the equipment.....

Many scams rely on the gullibility/greed of the target, or feed off the lack of awareness many citizens display. The programme will hopefully warn off some victims, and maybe lead to some past events being reported.
Andy Capp
QUOTE (NWNREADER @ Jan 2 2014, 11:22 PM) *
They are nearly all based overseas, but as many do not require the offender to ever come to the UK there are no border control issues.

Sorry, but everyone of the people I saw didn't appear to have English as a first language, so I have to disagree. The impression from the show is that we are easy pickings, and it seems all the police can do is chase them round.

And while I've got my 'xenophobic' hat on: hardly scientific, but just ask the average person who works at a store like Tesco what the nationality of a serial/organised gang of shop lifters is likely to be. It makes me wonder why we don't hear more from our indigenous scrotes about being done out of their easy pickings! Perhpas they've all been barred tongue.gif
NWNREADER
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jan 3 2014, 01:07 AM) *
Sorry, but everyone of the people I saw didn't appear to have English as a first language, so I have to disagree. The impression from the show is that we are easy pickings, and it seems all the police can do is chase them round.

And while I've got my 'xenophobic' hat on: hardly scientific, but just ask the average person who works at a store like Tesco what the nationality of a serial/organised gang of shop lifters is likely to be. It makes me wonder why we don't hear more from our indigenous scrotes about being done out of their easy pickings! Perhpas they've all been barred tongue.gif

I was talking about the email scams where the majority of the 'work' is on-line. The baiters operation is exceptional. Good fun, though!

The others you refer to - our European brothers and sisters - have rights.........
mellow.gif
Andy Capp
QUOTE (NWNREADER @ Jan 3 2014, 06:06 AM) *
The others you refer to - our European brothers and sisters - have rights.........
mellow.gif

But rights are granted; they're not entitlements. To be honest, shows like this don't make the argument of European integration any easier.
NWNREADER
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jan 3 2014, 11:33 AM) *
But rights are granted; they're not entitlements.

You have a lot to learn..... biggrin.gif
Andy Capp
QUOTE (NWNREADER @ Jan 3 2014, 12:56 PM) *
You have a lot to learn..... biggrin.gif

I'm listening? wink.gif

I've been 'sceptically neutral' with regards immigration policy, I believe that both sides of the argument only really promote the parts of the argument that suits their position. However, last nights program exposed to me what might be the feature of immigration policy that the pro lobby would rather was brushed under the carpet.
NWNREADER
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jan 3 2014, 01:16 PM) *
I'm listening? wink.gif

Hope you didn't ignore the big grin?

The street scammers plague people in Paris too.. Had some great fun with a couple. One nearly ended up mad....
gel
I loved the scambuster who took that Nigerian in (with him conning the scammer) and sent him to some remote Devon peninsular , to get what he assumed was going to be some ill-gotten dosh.

Would have been good if they'd sent scammer's taxi off, so he had to walk to a bus stop.

Shame that other Nigerian female was able to dispose of the evidence in the loo, before being searched by Old Bill.
NWNREADER
QUOTE (gel @ Jan 3 2014, 01:50 PM) *
I loved the scambuster who took that Nigerian in (with him conning the scammer) and sent him to some remote Devon peninsular , to get what he assumed was going to be some ill-gotten dosh.

Would have been good if they'd sent scammer's taxi off, so he had to walk to a bus stop. I was thinking exactly the same

Shame that other Nigerian female was able to dispose of the evidence in the loo, before being searched by Old Bill. agree. They should've nicked her......

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.