Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Football; a bit of light relief
Newbury Today Forum > Categories > Random Rants
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
GMR
With the Football Premier League starting tomorrow what hopes do you have for your team? Do you think they will get relegated, end up middle table or be part of the elite at the end of the season.

If your team is in one of the other leagues what hopes do you have for them? Are you a Reading supporter? Or maybe you are a Norwich supporter; who had a good start of the season by being beaten 7-1 (they've just sacked their manager Gunn by the way). So.... do you expect Norwich to get promoted this year?

As a Spurs supporter I see us challenging for top honours. When Harry Redknapp took over we were bottom of the league with 2 points. At the end of the season we finished 8th and was in the Carling Cup final.

If you are an Arsenal fan I must warn you that this section is to do with football; please move along to the next cubicle for a tickle and a cough. laugh.gif wink.gif
Biker1
OH NO - It's the football season again.

AAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggggg
gggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! angry.gif

GMR
QUOTE (Biker1 @ Aug 14 2009, 10:51 PM) *
OH NO - It's the football season again.

AAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggggg
gggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! angry.gif

you sound like an Arsenal supporter... don't worry; just close your eyes and put a paper bag over your head... as most of them do wink.gif
Newbury Expat
Good times!!

Now if ESPN could make up their flippin' mind whether they were broadcasting in the US or not I'll set my alarm clock. Chances are they'll show the Chelsea game tomorrow which will be on at 4:45 am - better get the kettle on sharpish when that alarm goes.
GMR
QUOTE (Newbury Expat @ Aug 14 2009, 11:53 PM) *
Good times!!

Now if ESPN could make up their flippin' mind whether they were broadcasting in the US or not I'll set my alarm clock. Chances are they'll show the Chelsea game tomorrow which will be on at 4:45 am - better get the kettle on sharpish when that alarm goes.

Chelsea is my second team so you are half alright. If you had said Arsenal we would be praying for you right now.

Spurs won't be kicking off until Sunday; we've got Liverpool. A nice easy game to start the football season off with. laugh.gif
Iommi
Theoretically, this should be a tighter season that the last one. I suspect Chelsea and Man Utd will be the favourites, but I suspect that Liverpool might make a better go of it this time. Spurs might make a better go of it, but can they keep up their form they showed in the second half of last season. I can't see Arsenal doing anything. I wouldn't be surprised if Wenger walked this coming season.
J C
I'll be interested to see how Man City do this season with the amount of money that they have spent. I heard that Blackburns tactics today was to kick City as hard as they can tongue.gif

As for the Mighty Hammers, first page of ceefax and not having to sell our best players to pay off the Icelandics debt will do me fine for this season!
Strafin
Well you're all going to be bitterly disappointed when Fulham lift the trophy then!
GMR
QUOTE (Iommi @ Aug 15 2009, 08:59 AM) *
Theoretically, this should be a tighter season that the last one. I suspect Chelsea and Man Utd will be the favourites, but I suspect that Liverpool might make a better go of it this time. Spurs might make a better go of it, but can they keep up their form they showed in the second half of last season. I can't see Arsenal doing anything. I wouldn't be surprised if Wenger walked this coming season.

I can’t argue with that evaluation. I would prefer Chelsea to finish top with Man Utd third or fourth. I think Arsenal will struggle.

It would be interesting to see how Man city does… they should, in theory, do better than they did last year. Aston Villa could be a dark horse.

Spurs should do better than last year as they seem a lot stronger; the only thing that worries me is their defence. They’ve got Woodgate, Dawson and maybe King out for the start of the season. They’ve got no problems in their strike force and midfield seems ok.

RIGHT; WHO DO YOU THINK WILL GET RELEGATED?
GMR
QUOTE (J C @ Aug 15 2009, 10:10 AM) *
I'll be interested to see how Man City do this season with the amount of money that they have spent. I heard that Blackburns tactics today was to kick City as hard as they can tongue.gif

As for the Mighty Hammers, first page of ceefax and not having to sell our best players to pay off the Icelandics debt will do me fine for this season!

West Ham have always been a dark horse and I think they will do well… how well I am not sure but they won’t suffer relegation. I think Blackburn will finish above the relegation zone.
GMR
QUOTE (Strafin @ Aug 15 2009, 10:16 AM) *
Well you're all going to be bitterly disappointed when Fulham lift the trophy then!

That is what I like to see on these boards a fantasist.

I do think Fulham will do well however. I’ve been to Craven cottage a number of times. I used to live not far from their ground; Barons Court.
GMR
I just been watching Gordon Strachen being interviewed in TV and he said the two most surprising teams for this season will be Fulham and Spurs.

Mark Lawrence has predicted that Fulham will win today and Spurs will draw with Liverpool 1-1. Personally I think Spurs can win. Liverpool have got injury problems and we have a strong force, apart from one or two problems in defence.
Strafin
I think Spurs will do well, probably fifth for them, Man Utd will win the league. Fulham I reckon seventh, we are not used to playing so many games and that will show. I think it's too early to predict relegations but the obvious choice would be Burnley. Man City won't do as well as expected, I guess sixth. Chelsea second, Liverpool third, Arsenal fourth, and Spurs fifth.
GMR
QUOTE (Strafin @ Aug 15 2009, 12:00 PM) *
I think Spurs will do well, probably fifth for them, Man Utd will win the league. Fulham I reckon seventh, we are not used to playing so many games and that will show. I think it's too early to predict relegations but the obvious choice would be Burnley. Man City won't do as well as expected, I guess sixth. Chelsea second, Liverpool third, Arsenal fourth, and Spurs fifth.

I don’t think Arsenal will do that well and I can’t see Man Utd winning the league. Liverpool will do well, as will Chelsea. I think Spurs will do better than last year. I also predict that Spurs will win a trophy.

I don't think Burnley or Wolves will get relegated. In fact I think Burnely will do well.
JeffG
I suppose I could claim an extra Nectar point by re-using my paper bag from last season...
GMR
QUOTE (JeffG @ Aug 15 2009, 12:40 PM) *
I suppose I could claim an extra Nectar point by re-using my paper bag from last season...

That’s the spirit, think positive. laugh.gif
J C
QUOTE (GMR @ Aug 15 2009, 11:13 AM) *
RIGHT; WHO DO YOU THINK WILL GET RELEGATED?

I think Hull will really struggle, didn't they win only one in their last 22 of the season? Portsmouth will be in trouble unless they can find a buyer with money and history suggests at least one of the promoted teams will go down again.
GMR
QUOTE (J C @ Aug 15 2009, 01:04 PM) *
I think Hull will really struggle, didn't they win only one in their last 22 of the season? Portsmouth will be in trouble unless they can find a buyer with money and history suggests at least one of the promoted teams will go down again.

I agree with that but I wouldn’t like to see Hull go down. I am glad they stayed up and I thought Newcastle deserved to go down. I also don’t think they will go straight up. Alan Shearer said he was discussed the way things have gone. They’ve sold and having replaced any of their players. They are the team to beat this season. I also can’t see Reading up either.
Familytreeingforever
Looks like Hull were really unlucky to not get the draw against Chelsea today. I don't support Hull but I would like to see them do well.
Strafin
Man city are off to a good start...
Familytreeingforever
Man City will have to do well seeing how much money they have spent, otherwise I think Mark Hughes will be in big trouble. Still think it will take them half a season to find their best team though!
GMR
QUOTE (Familytreeingforever @ Aug 15 2009, 03:10 PM) *
Man City will have to do well seeing how much money they have spent, otherwise I think Mark Hughes will be in big trouble. Still think it will take them half a season to find their best team though!

#
Yes, Man City won 2-0. WH beat Wolves and Everton just lost to Arsenal 5-0. Fulham also won.

That is the kiddie games over; the big matches are tomorrow.
GMR
Reading got beaten 3-0 by Newcastle. I can't see Reading having a good season like they did last season. Newcastle have sold a lot of players and are under strength and were still beaten by an Newcastle side. Bad result for Reading.

I've talked to many Reading fans before the start of the season and not one said they will get promoted.
Strafin
QUOTE (GMR @ Aug 15 2009, 07:37 PM) *
That is the kiddie games over; the big matches are tomorrow.

laugh.gif
Sarah
Anyone got a paper bag to lend to GMR?.
GMR
QUOTE (Sarah @ Aug 15 2009, 10:22 PM) *
Anyone got a paper bag to lend to GMR?.

And who do you support Sarah?
Sarah
QUOTE (GMR @ Aug 15 2009, 10:24 PM) *
And who do you support Sarah?

Arsenal, strangely enough.
GMR
QUOTE (Sarah @ Aug 15 2009, 10:37 PM) *
Arsenal, strangely enough.

That is strangely enough as well laugh.gif

Don't worry I sympathise with you. wink.gif
Sarah
QUOTE (GMR @ Aug 15 2009, 10:50 PM) *
That is strangely enough as well laugh.gif

Don't worry I sympathise with you. wink.gif

In the unlikely event that Spurs score as many goals tomorrow, as Arsenal did today, you might be allowed to take that bag off your head, and even your foot out of your mouth.
GMR
QUOTE (Sarah @ Aug 15 2009, 11:01 PM) *
In the unlikely event that Spurs score as many goals tomorrow, as Arsenal did today, you might allowed to take that bag off your head, and even your foot out of your mouth.

Thank you.... I am honoured. We better hope then that we score well then tomorrow. However, one point; Liverpool are harder opposition than Everton was facing Arsenal. So a victory over Liverpool would be equivalent as Arsenal putting 5 past Everton.

By the way; have you ever seen the gunners play football? Live that is, and not on the box either. wink.gif
Iommi
6 goals away to Everton is quite an achievement, but I still think it'll be a flash in the pan.
GMR
QUOTE (Iommi @ Aug 16 2009, 12:34 AM) *
6 goals away to Everton is quite an achievement, but I still think it'll be a flash in the pan.

'six'? The last I heard it was 5... they must have scored another one after I switched off the results. laugh.gif

I agree... it was lucky... however, Everton haven't really bought anything this season.
Biker1
QUOTE (GMR @ Aug 14 2009, 11:06 PM) *
you sound like an Arsenal supporter... don't worry; just close your eyes and put a paper bag over your head... as most of them do wink.gif

laugh.gif

My wife supports Arsenal!

I just let her get on with it poor woman.

Me - I have better things to do - just done some painting and watching it dry. sad.gif
GMR
QUOTE (Biker1 @ Aug 16 2009, 08:40 AM) *
laugh.gif

My wife supports Arsenal!

I just let her get on with it poor woman.

Me - I have better things to do - just done some painting and watching it dry. sad.gif

Your wife is an Arsenal supporter!? sad.gif Oh, I am soooo sorry. My commiserations go to you (or should it be with her blink.gif ). I believe a good psychiatrist could help or ask her to try to dip her head in a bucket of water a few times; I’ve heard that will help. Have you ever thought of trying to get her off it and onto a football team? tongue.gif
Iommi
QUOTE (Familytreeingforever @ Aug 15 2009, 03:00 PM) *
Looks like Hull were really unlucky to not get the draw against Chelsea today. I don't support Hull but I would like to see them do well.

Hull were lucky Chelsea didn't have their shooting boots on. They would otherwise had been given a drubbing.
GMR
Just reading about yesterday's match; it seems that Arsenal won 6-1 in the end.

Hull where unlucky.
Iommi
QUOTE (GMR @ Aug 16 2009, 11:07 AM) *
Just reading about yesterday's match; it seems that Arsenal won 6-1 in the end.

I know, that's what i said. wink.gif

QUOTE (GMR @ Aug 16 2009, 11:07 AM) *
Hull where unlucky.

Why? From the highlights, Chelsea could have had a hat full. Mind you, Drogba was crossing for his last goal.
Strafin
QUOTE (Iommi @ Aug 16 2009, 11:18 AM) *

Why? Form the highlights, Chelsea could have had a hat full. Mind you, Drogba was crossing for his last goal.

Could have? They didn't though, it always makes me laugh when people talk about how many goals they "could have" scored, if we went on could haves, the results over the last 50 years would all be very different, especially in the cup competitions.
Iommi
QUOTE (Strafin @ Aug 16 2009, 11:21 AM) *
Could have? They didn't though, it always makes me laugh when people talk about how many goals they "could have" scored, if we went on could haves, the results over the last 50 years would all be very different, especially in the cup competitions.

The point is... Chelsea deserved to win on endeavour (and match stats), Hull deafened and nearly got a point... that is unlucky is it? I suppose, if they were unlucky, that means Hull would have been lucky to have got a point. wink.gif
GMR
QUOTE (Iommi @ Aug 16 2009, 11:18 AM) *

Why? From the highlights, Chelsea could have had a hat full. Mind you, Drogba was crossing for his last goal.

No you said "6 goals away to Everton is quite an achievement, but I still think it'll be a flash in the pan." You never said anything about the 1 that Everton got.

I thought Hull played well.... Chelsea wasn't on full throttle.
lordtup
QUOTE (GMR @ Aug 15 2009, 12:45 AM) *
Chelsea is my second team so you are half alright. If you had said Arsenal we would be praying for you right now.

Spurs won't be kicking off until Sunday; we've got Liverpool. A nice easy game to start the football season off with. laugh.gif

A second team ?
My word old chap why don't you support them all then then you will not only win everything and get relegated at the same time but you can also have great debates with yourself over who is the best at , say , running onto the field.

Sorry didn't mean to be sarcastic.
Strafin
QUOTE (lordtup @ Aug 16 2009, 02:03 PM) *
A second team ?
My word old chap why don't you support them all then then you will not only win everything and get relegated at the same time but you can also have great debates with yourself over who is the best at , say , running onto the field.

I know, I don't get it either! Let's just all support football? Doesn't make sense but each to their own....
GMR
QUOTE (lordtup @ Aug 16 2009, 02:03 PM) *
A second team ?

Sorry didn't mean to be sarcastic.

You fire away my friend... it all makes for good debate wink.gif

I said a second team, not every team. laugh.gif
GMR
QUOTE (Strafin @ Aug 16 2009, 02:10 PM) *
I know, I don't get it either! Let's just all support football? Doesn't make sense but each to their own....

Actually it does make sense, you just wish to interpret your way wink.gif
lordtup
The main point has been stated,
All debate is healthy ,
No single answer is definitive .
rolleyes.gif
GMR
QUOTE (lordtup @ Aug 16 2009, 02:46 PM) *
The main point has been stated,
All debate is healthy ,
No single answer is definitive .
rolleyes.gif

...... unless it is mine laugh.gif wink.gif
GMR
Manchester United 1 Birmingham 0

Other results

Premier League

Home Team Score Away Team Time
Tottenham 2 - 1 Liverpool FT
(HT 1 - 0)
Assou-Ekotto 44
Bassong 59

liverpool goal by Gerrard (pen) 56

spurs were the better side, had the better quality in the squad.
lordtup
Sorry as my team got soundly beaten , I'm a bit sensitive on the whole darned subject.
So you have the last word untill we "meet" later on in the season. rolleyes.gif
GMR
QUOTE (lordtup @ Aug 16 2009, 06:09 PM) *
Sorry as my team got soundly beaten , I'm a bit sensitive on the whole darned subject.
So you have the last word untill we "meet" later on in the season. rolleyes.gif

Are you a liverpool supporter then? Liverpool were only beaten twice in the league last season and one of them was by Spurs. If we hadn't beaten you, you might have gone on and won the league. We also knocked you out of the League cup.

The better team won on the day. We had a better squad at the end of the day. wink.gif
Strafin
6 yellow cards - 3 a piece doesn't sound like too much quality to me, but at least it was even! Fair play Spurs - I'm off to wind up my Liverpool mates!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.