Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Beloved Newbury Presenter and DJ
Newbury Today Forum > Categories > Random Rants
cornflake
Please forgive this post looking to rally our county together!

West Berkshire has long been the source of top class entertainers and has attracted quite a few to the area for years, there must be something in the water to make us all so fantastic!
Just to let you know that one of our aspiring young talents has entered a competition to present on the channel VEVO!

If you know Dave Browne, or Smiley Dave as most around here do then let's get out county together and push him through, put another celebrity under our belts and we'll soon be the pond everyone wants to fish in for actors, presenters, musicians and writers!

https://apps.facebook.com/vevosummersix/pag...eea02ed3bbc3072

Please take a minute to vote for him here, no sign ups required just a click of a button smile.gif
He's the one on the left by the way...
And here's his page if you want to know more about him!!
https://www.facebook.com/smileydavetv?fref=ts
Biker1
QUOTE (cornflake @ Jul 9 2013, 10:41 PM) *
If you know Dave Browne, or Smiley Dave as most around here do

? blink.gif unsure.gif wink.gif
blackdog
West Berkshire has long been the source of top class entertainers

Your definition of top class is different from mine.

spartacus
I hope this hasn't been posted by The Hairy Cornflake using the webname 'cornflake' and we're casually being groomed as he waits for a response.... if so I'll have to spray my keyboard down with bleach
motormad
QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jul 10 2013, 09:20 AM) *
? blink.gif unsure.gif wink.gif

Who? laugh.gif
cornflake
Ok well anyone who goe sout around Newbury will know.
He DJ's in the Canal Bar on saturday nights, turned on the Christmas lights at the hospital, presents on The Breeze (I don't know if he still does)

Anyway, just after a bit of support really :-)

Blackdog, I think most people would class those such as Will Young as top class, loads of people live here too and please don't ask me to name them. Get googling.

Spartacus....I have no idea what you are on about, I am not hairy :-)

Biker1
QUOTE (cornflake @ Jul 11 2013, 07:32 PM) *
Spartacus....I have no idea what you are on about, I am not hairy :-)

I think he is referring to alleged sex offender Dave Lee Travis!
(Or has he been cleared now??)
Andy Capp
QUOTE (cornflake @ Jul 11 2013, 06:32 PM) *
Ok well anyone who goe sout around Newbury will know.
He DJ's in the Canal Bar on saturday nights, turned on the Christmas lights at the hospital, presents on The Breeze (I don't know if he still does)

Richard Garvie
QUOTE (blackdog @ Jul 10 2013, 05:03 PM) *
Your definition of top class is different from mine.

I'm guessing he said no to Pirate Radio Swift Hook then??
blackdog
QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Jul 11 2013, 11:51 PM) *
I'm guessing he said no to Pirate Radio Swift Hook then??

Still delusional then?
blackdog
QUOTE (cornflake @ Jul 11 2013, 06:32 PM) *
Blackdog, I think most people would class those such as Will Young as top class, loads of people live here too and please don't ask me to name them. Get googling.

I accept that many might consider Will Young as top class (but not 'most people' and certainly not me). However, you suggested there were plenty, certainly more than one.

Still I won't ask you to name them as you are evidently having as tough a time thinking of them as I am.

Andy Capp
QUOTE (blackdog @ Jul 12 2013, 08:42 AM) *
I accept that many might consider Will Young as top class (but not 'most people' and certainly not me). However, you suggested there were plenty, certainly more than one.

Still I won't ask you to name them as you are evidently having as tough a time thinking of them as I am.

Is this bickering (which you instigated) really necessary?
blackdog
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jul 12 2013, 10:00 AM) *
Is this bickering (which you instigated) really necessary?

Of course not - but it's only a forum, is anything on it 'necessary? I just find vastly over-exaggerated claims a bit irritating.
Simon Kirby
QUOTE (blackdog @ Jul 12 2013, 11:00 AM) *
Of course not - but it's only a forum, is anything on it 'necessary? I just find vastly over-exaggerated claims a bit irritating.

Not just exaggerated, or even over-exaggerated, but vastly over-exaggerated - yes, I can see how you might be irritated by cornflake's hyperbole. wink.gif
Andy Capp
QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Jul 12 2013, 11:58 AM) *
Not just exaggerated, or even over-exaggerated, but vastly over-exaggerated - yes, I can see how you might be irritated by cornflake's hyperbole. wink.gif

Exactly, a device we all use from time to time. In this case, a bit of harmless 'sponsoring' of a local 'celeb'. Even I've heard of him. tongue.gif
Simon Kirby
I'm about 30 years too old for festivals but even so, I thought Dave was good, and he is smiley isn't he, so I voted for him.
On the edge
I suspect can better Simon on the age thing, but I quite like some of the off beat things that happen round here. So another vote for Dave
cornflake
Dave Browne
5 days ago I asked people to vote for me in a competition, the result was that I flooded people's news feeds (which I'm really sorry about), reconnected with a load of friends I haven't spoken to in time, and now a lot of people now know that my real surname isn't 'Dave'. It looks like all your efforts paid off, Im waiting for a phone call to confirm it but thank you SO much to everyone!
Unlike · · Share · 8 minutes ago near Newbury

Thanks everyone!!!

biggrin.gif Yay Newbury!
blackdog
QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Jul 12 2013, 11:58 AM) *

laugh.gif Touché.
Simon Kirby
QUOTE (blackdog @ Jul 12 2013, 05:39 PM) *
laugh.gif Touché.

smile.gif
cornflake
Also, Google has told me that all the below listed either came from the Berkshire area or live here.

Famous people

Kate Winslet
Ricky Gervais
Neil Webb
John Sykes
Elize Du Toit
Lenny Henry
Dawn French
Daniel Bliss
Jacqueline Bissett
Martin Shaw
Felix Bowness
Arthur Askey
Alma Cogan
Sam Mendes
Rebecca Cook
George Michael and Uri Geller
Paul Daniels
Chemical Brothers
Richard Adams - (b. 1920) author
Francis Baily - (1774-1844) astronomer
Michael Bond - (b. 1926) author
David Cameron - (b. 1966) politician
Terence Conran - (b. 1931) furniture designer
Matthew Darby-Griffith - (1772-1823) Napoleonic army general
Miles Dempsey - (1896-1969) WW2 army general
Jeremy Deedes - (b. 1944) journalist
Edmund De La Beche - (1294-1364) clergyman
James Hanson - (1922-2004) industrialist
Max Hastings - (b. 1945) journalist
Nicky Henderson - (b. 1950) racehorse trainer
John Newport Langley - (1852-1925) scientist
Melinda Messenger - (b. 1971) model and TV presenter
Kate Middleton - (b. 1982) duchess and member of the British Royal Family
Julian Pettifer - (b. 1935) TV journalist
Chapman Pincher - (1914-2012) journalist and author
Charles Portal, 1st Viscount Portal of Hungerford - (1893-1971) WW2 air marshal
Mike Robinson - (b. 1968) TV chef
Chris Tarrant - (b. 1946) TV presenter
Jethro Tull - (1674-1741) farmer and inventor
Alfred Waterhouse - (1830-1905) architect
Theo Walcott - (b. 1989) footballer
John Winchcombe aka Jack_O'Newbury (1489-1557) industrialist
Will Young - (b. 1979) pop singer

Famous people born in Berkshire:
Alfred Ernest Albert | Arthur Negus | Charles Portal | Charles Simeon | Charlie Brooker | Chesney Hawkes | Chris Tarrant | Dennis Price | **** Sheppard | Ed Vaizey | Edward III | Edward Pusey | Elizabeth Taylor | Geraldine McEwan | Henry VI | Howard Davies | Hugh Lofting | Humphrey Lyttleton | Iain Lee | Jethro Tull | John Langley | John Soane | Kate Middleton | Kate Winslet | Louis Mountbatten | Michael Bond | Mike Oldfield | Patrick Mayhew | Peter Jones | Peter Osgood | Raj Persaud | Ranulph Fiennes | Richard Blackmore | Ricky Gervais | Sam Mendes | Sir Donald Francis Tovey | Sir John Herschel | Sophie Christiansen | Stanley Spencer | Sydney Camm | Thomas Hughes | Tina Brown | Will Young | William Laud |
cornflake
Simon and On the edge. Thanks :-)
Roost
...and don't forget Jezza Kyle.

I have tried, believe me.
Nothing Much
What an interesting bunch. Not a bad egg amongst them.

Kings were probably up to no good.Executed allotment holders (probably.)
Good luck with the DJing.
ce
blackdog
QUOTE (cornflake @ Jul 12 2013, 05:54 PM) *
Also, Google has told me that all the below listed either came from the Berkshire area or live here.

The original claims was:
West Berkshire has long been the source of top class entertainers

Not Berkshire - I'll concede that Reading has indeed produced some well known entertainers. But the list you give is of famous people, which includes a some entertainers (mainly from Reading). The West Berkshire contribution in terms of entertainers seems to be Will Young.

Unless you count authors as entertainers - West Berks has produced a few of those.
Nothing Much
Where did West Berkshire come from anyway. I know I have been away for some time. And I left it as Berkshire.
Was it during the change of counties countrywide about 1974/5 ish?

One might cruelly suggest I was away with the fairies. I was sharing a room in digs with Russell Grant and he was obsessed with getting every OS map before that change. He had to take out loans. I have said it before,a really nice chap.
ce.
blackdog
West Berkshire appeared in 1995, when the govt decided to push for unitary authorities. Berkshire was split into six and Newbury Rural District became West Berkshire. I remember getting the chance to vote for the name, not sure we got the chance to vote to keep the county council.
Andy Capp
You must be really bored. rolleyes.gif
HJD
QUOTE (cornflake @ Jul 12 2013, 05:54 PM) *

Famous people

Kate Winslet
Ricky Gervais
Neil Webb
John Sykes
Elize Du Toit
Lenny Henry
Dawn French
Daniel Bliss
Jacqueline Bissett
Martin Shaw
Felix Bowness
Arthur Askey
Alma Cogan
Sam Mendes
Rebecca Cook
Paul Daniels
Chemical Brothers

You forgot Cheggers !!!
Biker1
QUOTE (cornflake @ Jul 12 2013, 06:54 PM) *

Famous people

Kate Winslet
Ricky Gervais
Neil Webb
John Sykes
Elize Du Toit
Lenny Henry
Dawn French
Daniel Bliss
Jacqueline Bissett
Martin Shaw
Felix Bowness
Arthur Askey
Alma Cogan
Sam Mendes
Rebecca Cook
Paul Daniels
Chemical Brothers

Famous people born in Berkshire:
Alfred Ernest Albert | Arthur Negus | Charles Portal | Charles Simeon | Charlie Brooker | Chesney Hawkes | Chris Tarrant | Dennis Price | **** Sheppard | Ed Vaizey | Edward III | Edward Pusey | Elizabeth Taylor | Geraldine McEwan | Henry VI | Howard Davies | Hugh Lofting | Humphrey Lyttleton | Iain Lee | Jethro Tull | John Langley | John Soane | Kate Middleton | Kate Winslet | Louis Mountbatten | Michael Bond | Mike Oldfield | Patrick Mayhew | Peter Jones | Peter Osgood | Raj Persaud | Ranulph Fiennes | Richard Blackmore | Ricky Gervais | Sam Mendes | Sir Donald Francis Tovey | Sir John Herschel | Sophie Christiansen | Stanley Spencer | Sydney Camm | Thomas Hughes | Tina Brown | Will Young | William Laud |

The quote was "West Berkshire has long been the source of top class entertainers". Many of these do not come into that category do they? unsure.gif
Andy Capp
Another one. rolleyes.gif
motormad
You forget that towns do not produce talent.

People are talented. They are born with skills or develop them. Their town or county of origin means jack all to me. The queen could be born in Newbury, all I would say to that is whoop-de-doo.

Berkshire is also quite a big area.
Biker1
QUOTE (motormad @ Jul 16 2013, 09:49 AM) *

People are talented. They are born with skills or develop them. Their town or county of origin means jack all

You are quite right of course.
It's irrelevant isn't it?
Although I would imagine that, for example, Liverpool has made much of it being The Beatles' originating city??
Andy Capp
QUOTE (motormad @ Jul 16 2013, 09:49 AM) *

People are talented. They are born with skills or develop them. Their town or county of origin means jack all to me. The queen could be born in Newbury, all I would say to that is whoop-de-doo.

Berkshire is also quite a big area.
QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jul 16 2013, 11:00 AM) *
You are quite right of course.
It's irrelevant isn't it?
Although I would imagine that, for example, Liverpool has made much of it being The Beatles' originating city??

I'm not sure about that. One could reasonably argue that one's surroundings greatly influences how some people exploit their talent, or deny them the potential they might otherwise have shown.
cornflake
Wow.
I find people who spend their time nitpicking things apart just to cause arguments such a bore. But I do so apologise for using the wrong words and trying to gain a bit of momentum for this campaign.

I am very pleased that someone from our general area of my general generation who gives back to the general community by providing fun and entertainment (yes sometimes for a fee but also sometimes for charity) has won and will now appear on television watched my many ...oh sorry, watched by many that I cannot name as it would take far too long.

Excuse me for anything I may have written incorrectly, I am not great with words and shall never be a great writer or any sort of speaker.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.