Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Does anyone on here drive a Peugeot?
Newbury Today Forum > Categories > Random Rants
motormad
And wear glasses?
If so reveal yourself.
Andy Capp
QUOTE (motormad @ Jan 27 2013, 06:51 PM) *
And wear glasses?
If so reveal yourself.

And are middle aged, or older?
motormad
As I was behind them I was unable to get a good look and thought it assumptive to say. However as they drove a Peugeot and had an NWN sticker, I would have to assume..
Strafin
To be fair, this is a public forum with the right to remain anonymous. Whilst some agree with this and some don't I am sure that we can all agree, that if we owned Peugeots we wouldn't want to admit it publically.
NORTHENDER
Nothing wrong with mine rolleyes.gif
motormad
That is quite a nice Peugeot to be fair. The only one they make at the moment I would have is the RCZ.. white, black wheels, with quad exhausts... Mmmm.

QUOTE (Strafin @ Jan 27 2013, 09:58 PM) *
To be fair, this is a public forum with the right to remain anonymous. Whilst some agree with this and some don't I am sure that we can all agree, that if we owned Peugeots we wouldn't want to admit it publically.

Haha. laugh.gif

I would simply like to enquire as to why they are unable to get in the correct lane on a clearly marked roundabout (at Wyvdale Garden Centre near Turnpike on the Henwick Playing Fields side) and nearly smash into my mate's car (whom I was passenger with).
As you may be aware, heading from Newbury towards Thatcham, the lane splits into two, one heading left to the hospital and straight on, towards Cold Ash or the "Thatcham Bypass" as I call it, and the second lane to carry on down the A4 or to go around the roundabout again.

So Mr Peugeot driver decided to, literally at the last moment, without indication, ignore the lane markings and the car (us) who are there and cut across. Then proceed to spend more time looking out of the drivers window, at the houses or whatever, than where they were going, veering between the center line and the curb, hence why I was able to tell that the driver was wearing glasses as I saw them as the head rotated round like one of those Churchill Dogs that go "OHHHHH YES."

I am not a perfect driver by any means but one thing I always do is obey the markings in the road RE: traffic flow, such as the Sainsburys Roundabout and Robin Hood, and wanted to know what made this driver so special that they felt able to nearly cause a horrible accident.
massifheed
QUOTE (motormad @ Jan 27 2013, 10:52 PM) *
...they felt able to nearly cause a horrible accident.

Indeed. Almost as bad as people that race each other from the lights. There was a guy that used to post on here that did that sort of thing. What was his name now? tongue.gif

motormad
Well, to be fair, racing away from the lights is one thing, in a straight line... to dive across lanes of moving traffic is quite another. Plus I don't drive a Peugeot.
NORTHENDER
You do not drive anything, you aim it. tongue.gif
Biker1
QUOTE (motormad @ Jan 27 2013, 11:52 PM) *
veering between the center line and the curb,

Just wondering what is your country of origin M'Mad?
Not from across the pond are you?
massifheed
QUOTE (motormad @ Jan 28 2013, 10:23 AM) *
Well, to be fair, racing away from the lights is one thing, in a straight line...

Provided you don't lose control or hit someone that walks out into the road.

motormad
Well, that is true. But you use your eyes. And also if the lights are green the pedestrian crossings would be red.

QUOTE (NORTHENDER @ Jan 28 2013, 10:25 AM) *
You do not drive anything, you aim it. tongue.gif

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jan 28 2013, 10:28 AM) *
Just wondering what is your country of origin M'Mad?
Not from across the pond are you?

I might not possibly be.
Biker1
QUOTE (motormad @ Jan 28 2013, 12:25 PM) *
I might not possibly be.

Thought so! wink.gif
motormad
QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jan 28 2013, 11:26 AM) *
Thought so! wink.gif

Do you have anything better to do than complain about spelling?
Don't come to my house for dinner.
Exhausted
QUOTE (motormad @ Jan 28 2013, 10:23 AM) *
Well, to be fair, racing away from the lights is one thing, in a straight line... to dive across lanes of moving traffic is quite another. Plus I don't drive a Peugeot.

I suspect that you are the sort of guy that has never had a motor accident but have seen loads in your mirror.
motormad
QUOTE (Exhausted @ Jan 28 2013, 11:40 PM) *
I suspect that you are the sort of guy that has never had a motor accident but have seen loads in your mirror.

No I had an accident 2 years ago and learnt from it. smile.gif
Biker1
QUOTE (motormad @ Jan 28 2013, 01:09 PM) *
Do you have anything better to do than complain about spelling?

Yes I do but unfortunately I am one of those tedious people of a dying breed who thinks it is important.
I also tire of "americanisms" encroaching into our language.
Maybe not a problem on a forum like this but I suspect you may have the same issues in more important circumstances.
Not complaining, just trying to help! wink.gif

QUOTE (motormad @ Jan 28 2013, 01:09 PM) *
Don't come to my house for dinner.

No problem!
I would find talking about cars only a tad less tedious than talking about football! biggrin.gif
JeffG
QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jan 29 2013, 10:23 AM) *
I would find talking about cars only a tad less tedious than talking about football! biggrin.gif

You could compromise and just talk about the internal combustion engine. wink.gif
On the edge
QUOTE (JeffG @ Jan 29 2013, 11:15 AM) *
You could compromise and just talk about the internal combustion engine. wink.gif

That sounds OK, can I sneak an invite! Biker and I can argue the merits of putting bus engines in trains. I'd be happy with cod and chips!
Exhausted
QUOTE (On the edge @ Jan 29 2013, 02:49 PM) *
That sounds OK, can I sneak an invite! Biker and I can argue the merits of putting bus engines in trains. I'd be happy with cod and chips!

The intercitys have submarine engines in them.
motormad
That can't really be true can it? Otherwise submarines would be flying around the Ocean Floor at a 120mph complaining that their brakes have failed and how their estimated time of arrival in Penzance will now be 21-40 hours. (originally expected 17-24)

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jan 29 2013, 10:23 AM) *
Yes I do but unfortunately I am one of those tedious people of a dying breed who thinks it is important.
I also tire of "americanisms" encroaching into our language.
Maybe not a problem on a forum like this but I suspect you may have the same issues in more important circumstances.
Not complaining, just trying to help! wink.gif

I guess. It's just a bit of a "oh god here we go again" subject. Spent years on forums and there's always "that one guy" who just ever posts up about how you missed that apostrophe or whatever.
The most grammar-nazi thing I do is, when spelling my name, when it gets to the G, use the word "Gnome".
On the edge
QUOTE (Exhausted @ Jan 29 2013, 06:10 PM) *

Sorry, I've dug up an old argument. I'm sure the Intercity design included fitting appropriate transmissions.
Exhausted
QUOTE (On the edge @ Jan 30 2013, 07:58 AM) *
Sorry, I've dug up an old argument. I'm sure the Intercity design included fitting appropriate transmissions.

V16 supercharged diesel generators. Same design as the ASR diesels fitted in the Porpoise and Oberon class submarines. (Now all scrapped).
Penelope
Do they do those in pink?
motormad
QUOTE (Exhausted @ Jan 30 2013, 07:20 PM) *
V16 supercharged diesel generators. Same design as the ASR diesels fitted in the Porpoise and Oberon class submarines. (Now all scrapped).

Hooohohhhhhhhh yes. I will have three please.
Biker1
QUOTE (Exhausted @ Jan 29 2013, 08:10 PM) *

Unfortunately the engines in the HST's went the same way as what has happened to most manufacturing in this country - abroad.
The British made Paxman engines originally fitted were replaced by German manufactured MTU engines during the last decade.
Seems we can't even make a decent diesel engine these days! sad.gif
NORTHENDER
QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jan 31 2013, 09:38 AM) *
Seems we can't even make a decent diesel engine these days! sad.gif

I think PERKINS might disagree a tad with that.
Biker1
QUOTE (NORTHENDER @ Jan 31 2013, 11:57 AM) *
I think PERKINS might disagree a tad with that.

Agreed, the "bus engines" that OTE referred to were manufactured by Perkins.
(But, are they not now a subsidiary of Caterpillar?)
However, it would appear that the large power units required by locomotives, as opposed to multiple units, now all seem to be manufactured abroad.
lordtup
QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jan 31 2013, 10:05 AM) *
Agreed, the "bus engines" that OTE referred to were manufactured by Perkins.
(But, are they not now a subsidiary of Caterpillar?)
However, it would appear that the large power units required by locomotives, as opposed to multiple units, now all seem to be manufactured abroad.

Once again the demise of our manufacturing industry has been graphically emphasised . I know we keep harping on about it , but if we don't " make " there is only one way this country is going to go . We may well design these things and fit them to our products but unless we actually have a factory that employs a cross demographic of the proletariat then the resulting financial return is not distributed back into the economy.

Simple I know , but quantum physics to some . wink.gif
On the edge
QUOTE (lordtup @ Jan 31 2013, 12:47 PM) *
Once again the demise of our manufacturing industry has been graphically emphasised . I know we keep harping on about it , but if we don't " make " there is only one way this country is going to go . We may well design these things and fit them to our products but unless we actually have a factory that employs a cross demographic of the proletariat then the resulting financial return is not distributed back into the economy.

Spot on! Having recently been involved on the fringes of design / manufacture, I'd simply add that we think we design things. Certainly with electronics; pass the design over and get back the take it or leave it suggestion that they'll have to do it 'their way' because we can't alter the production lines for the numbers you want...unless you want to pay well over the odds. Similarly with computer code, we used to specify, but now our overseas provider of code tells us not to bother; just look at our catalogue. Anyone know what UK will be good at?
dannyboy
QUOTE (lordtup @ Jan 31 2013, 12:47 PM) *

We have moved on since those days. it isn't called the Global Village for nothing.....

even John Donne understood this was on the cards -

No man is an island,
Entire of itself.
Each is a piece of the continent,
A part of the main.
If a clod be washed away by the sea,
Europe is the less.
As well as if a promontory were.
As well as if a manor of thine own
Or of thine friend's were.
Each man's death diminishes me,
For I am involved in mankind.
Therefore, send not to know
For whom the bell tolls,
It tolls for thee.

lordtup
QUOTE (dannyboy @ Jan 31 2013, 01:30 PM) *
We have moved on since those days. it isn't called the Global Village for nothing.....

even John Donne understood this was on the cards -

No man is an island,
Entire of itself.
Each is a piece of the continent,
A part of the main.
If a clod be washed away by the sea,
Europe is the less.
As well as if a promontory were.
As well as if a manor of thine own
Or of thine friend's were.
Each man's death diminishes me,
For I am involved in mankind.
Therefore, send not to know
For whom the bell tolls,
It tolls for thee.

Based on that premise I expect the power horse that is now China to encompass GB plc at the earliest possible convenience . sad.gif
lordtup
QUOTE (On the edge @ Jan 31 2013, 01:22 PM) *
". Anyone know what UK will be good at? "

Ranting about it in on line forums . tongue.gif
dannyboy
QUOTE (lordtup @ Jan 31 2013, 01:49 PM) *
Based on that premise I expect the power horse that is now China to encompass GB plc at the earliest possible convenience . sad.gif

Nah, they are just the proles.

they make what we buy.
On the edge

Once we've spent the fortune grandad left,, what happens then? Or, Dannyboy, do you know the address of Global Social Services?
Exhausted
We never did get our feet back on the ladder if you look at our manufacturing post war. There was massive injection of capital from the USA to provide new machinery for that lost during the war. Guess where it all went...Germany while we continued to pay off the massive debt that was owed to our allies, the Americans for their lease lend and provisions to this war torn island. The British even went so far as to send our best people to Germany to restart, guess what, the Volkswagen factory.
In our naivety, we thought that we could survive on our insurance and finance industries. The government allowed the unions to cripple our shipbuilding and when they did take control, the coal industry died as a result. There were little or no subsidies for our manufacturing and if it hadn't been for the fact that the North Sea provided a bonus in oil exploration and delivery, we would have been against the wall a long time ago.
Now that the government has allowed our banking to go nails up, although the global economy must take some of the blame, we do not have a cushion to fall back on.
So, not only did our diesel engine manufacturing end, so did most of our other manufacturing, shipbuilding, railway engines, cars etc which
could and should have earned us a bob or two abroad.
We still fall back on the old adage that we are good at designing but somebody else does the developing and manufacturing. Not good enough I'm affraid and the light at the end of the tunnel is an intercity coming in the opposite direction, powered by German engines.
dannyboy
QUOTE (On the edge @ Jan 31 2013, 03:25 PM) *
Once we've spent the fortune grandad left,, what happens then? Or, Dannyboy, do you know the address of Global Social Services?

in any village, the land owners remain that & the peasants remain that....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.