Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A Newspaper with Less News...
Newbury Today Forum > Categories > Newbury News
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Blake
I was pretty disappointed with last week's edition.. a vast pullout section with a stack of photos on school leavers and their prom season; this is of supreme indifference and is not news.

I also note that last week, there was a mere single page of letters. The letters pages (and there were three pages of such not long ago) are one of the best sections of the newspaper.

I find there is less and less worth reading in this newspaper and yet the price escalates. I find the newspaper is increasingly heavy on photos and much lighter on text. The prom section is a classic example...what a waste of money.

This was a great paper a decade ago and less. Is there a new editor in charge?

The quality of the Newbury Weekly News and its news content seems to go from bad to worse.
dannyboy
QUOTE (Blake @ Jul 26 2012, 11:35 AM) *
I was pretty disappointed with last week's edition.. a vast pullout section with a stack of photos on school leavers and their prom season; this is of supreme indifference and is not news.

I also note that last week, there was a mere single page of letters. The letters pages (and there were three pages of such not long ago) are one of the best sections of the newspaper.

I find there is less and less worth reading in this newspaper and yet the price escalates. I find the newspaper is increasingly heavy on photos and much lighter on text. The prom section is a classic example...what a waste of money.

The quality of the Newbury Weekly News and its news content seems to go from bad to worse.

I take it you were not at, or had family at a prom.....

Blake
Even if I did, I can take my own photos.

The paper never used to run this dross.
dannyboy
QUOTE (Blake @ Jul 26 2012, 12:00 PM) *

I find sport dross, and find pages & pages devoted to local teams a right bore. Week in week out.

But I also understand that many people do find this interesting, and that they like to read about their teams & themselves in the local press.

In the same way that a teenager, or their parents, might find seeing a picture of their prom ( a once in a lifetime thing ) in the local paper interesting. A cut out & keep moment I would have thought.

If you don't, don't buy the NWN.
Penelope
Yet another import from the USA (sigh) why? something else to drain poor daddy's wallet, yet another 'must have' from the land of the obese burger munchers.
Blake
IS there market research to back that assertion?
Penelope
QUOTE (Blake @ Jul 26 2012, 12:16 PM) *
IS there market research to back that assertion?

which one?
dannyboy
QUOTE (Penelope @ Jul 26 2012, 12:16 PM) *
Yet another import from the USA (sigh) why? something else to drain poor daddy's wallet, yet another 'must have' from the land of the obese burger munchers.

You sound like some one who wasn't asked to be Prom Queen.....

Penelope
QUOTE (dannyboy @ Jul 26 2012, 12:19 PM) *
You sound like some one who wasn't asked to be Prom Queen.....

We used to have end of term disco (ahh the good old days)
dannyboy
QUOTE (Penelope @ Jul 26 2012, 12:22 PM) *
We used to have end of term disco (ahh the good old days)

End of term Disco = The wood work teacher brings in his 8-track & your dad comes & collects you at 8:30, after 1 hour of sitting on the gym equipment listening to Slade & Shawaddywaddy.
Jayjay
QUOTE (dannyboy @ Jul 26 2012, 12:52 PM) *
End of term Disco = The wood work teacher brings in his 8-track & your dad comes & collects you at 8:30, after 1 hour of sitting on the gym equipment listening to Slade & Shawaddywaddy.

With girls on one side and lads on the other and the pungent smell of pumps and sweaty gym shirts in lost property frangrancing the air. Orange squash was the drink of the evening as I recall. Oh, happy days.
Baffers100
On the plus side, fewer words= fewer chances of spelling mistakes smile.gif
Blake
Yes, well, now that we have spellchecking, there is no excuse in the first place.

Does anyone know if the newspaper has a new editor? Could that be the reason for the poorer qualiy and content?
Nothing Much
I just have to pop in for a second.Folk who knew things clever.
Made LSD in the Chem labs. Was freely available.
They were rusticated but allowed to sit exams.So they ended up at Cambridge
No Names.
There were gigs with Malvern Girls, but I was a wallflower.
ce
Blake
QUOTE (Nothing Much @ Jul 26 2012, 04:13 PM) *
No Names.
ce

What on earth are you talking about?
Newbelly
QUOTE (Blake @ Jul 26 2012, 04:36 PM) *
What on earth are you talking about?

The clue is Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds. tongue.gif
Blake
QUOTE (Newbelly @ Jul 26 2012, 04:42 PM) *
The clue is Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds. tongue.gif

And what has that got to do with the Newbury Weekly News??
andy1979uk
No Names.
ce

Seriously, I know I get accused of trolling but you do post some complete dribble.
Penelope
No Names.
ce

Do elucidate, sounds like fun.
GMR

To be fair it is a lot easier to fill a newspaper with photos than stories/ news.
user23

I doubt the prom section was a waste of money.

I bet almost everyone in it bought at least one copy as a souvenir.
dannyboy
QUOTE (GMR @ Jul 26 2012, 05:43 PM) *
To be fair it is a lot easier to fill a newspaper with photos than stories/ news.

To be fair, some stories are better told pictorially.

I can't imagine the paper covering 'Prom Night 2012' in prose alone......
Newbelly
QUOTE (user23 @ Jul 26 2012, 09:31 PM) *

You are probably right.

Scaling things up a bit, whilst I in no way condone illegal practices such as hacking phones or computers, I just hope, post Leveson, we do not lose the spirit of investigative journalism.
GMR
QUOTE (dannyboy @ Jul 26 2012, 10:01 PM) *
To be fair, some stories are better told pictorially.

I can't imagine the paper covering 'Prom Night 2012' in prose alone......

True.
Andy Capp
QUOTE (Newbelly @ Jul 26 2012, 10:08 PM) *
You are probably right. Scaling things up a bit, whilst I in no way condone illegal practices such as hacking phones or computers, I just hope, post Leveson, we do not lose the spirit of investigative journalism.

I see nothing wrong with hacking, if it is used to expose serious wrong doing, but it should never hinder police work.
Timbo
QUOTE (andy1979uk @ Jul 26 2012, 04:56 PM) *
Seriously, I know I get accused of trolling but you do post some complete dribble.

His dribble is by far the most interesting dribble I have ever read.

Penelope, the end of School Discos, you know, I think they had those up until about 2005! tongue.gif
Strafin
QUOTE (Blake @ Jul 26 2012, 12:00 PM) *

It is rubbish, the prom bit. If you get you picture in the paper fair enough, but if everyone has their picture in the paper, and the pictures are being sold, it's not really exciting is it?
Biker1
QUOTE (user23 @ Jul 26 2012, 09:31 PM) *

Looking the way some of them did in those pictures I bet some didn't. tongue.gif
At least they are too young to have "tats" yet! rolleyes.gif
Gave me and Mrs. Biker a good laugh though. biggrin.gif
Blake
What I found after I had put the prom section and property pages in the recycling bin was a rather thin "newspaper".

JeffG
When I left school we didn't even have discos.
Jayjay
Do not understand the present for the teacher at end of term. Bottles of £70 perfum and expensive champagne? When did that become the norm, and why?
HJD
QUOTE (Jayjay @ Jul 27 2012, 12:05 PM) *
Do not understand the present for the teacher at end of term. Bottles of £70 perfum and expensive champagne? When did that become the norm, and why?

Probably when Miss changed from a 60 yr. old Witch wielding a cane to a tasty 25 yr. old in a mini skirt. laugh.gif
On the edge
QUOTE (HJD @ Jul 27 2012, 02:09 PM) *
Probably when Miss changed from a 60 yr. old Witch wielding a cane to a tasty 25 yr. old in a mini skirt. laugh.gif

Suspect these days the former could collect even more in certain parts of London....that's real market forces for you!
Blake
Keep it relevant.

Does anyone else know why the newspaper has gone downhill in recent years?

JeffG
QUOTE (Blake @ Jul 27 2012, 03:41 PM) *

You would be good at designing questions for referendums.
Andy Capp
QUOTE (Blake @ Jul 27 2012, 03:41 PM) *
Keep it relevant.

I don't think it has gone down hill, but I am disappointed by the letters page compared to the past. I would imagine newspapers are under great pressure from other media outlets, depressed housing market, and a drop in advertising revue in general, not to mention a loss from people only using the paper's website and not buying a paper.
Penelope
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jul 27 2012, 04:49 PM) *
I don't think it has gone down hill, but I am disappointed by the letters page compared to the past. I would imagine newspapers are under great pressure from other media outlets, depressed housing market, and a drop in advertising revue in general, not to mention a loss from people only using the paper's website and not buying a paper.

I must confess I usually read the digital version myself.
lordtup
QUOTE (Penelope @ Jul 26 2012, 12:16 PM) *

Hear Hear !! angry.gif
Nothing Much
To answer an earlier post about what are you on about?
LSD was dead simple.
To the left as I type is an old school board that details scholars, Praeposters.
It was in a skip and a friend of my brother retrieved it along with all the others.
Yes I am there. 7 times over the years. Sports mostly. (CJE)
The guy who cooked up the LSD He ended up at Cambridge.
He was from an old car making family. Frazer-Nash.It wasn't just him.About 5 others were sent home.

I ended up in a travelling show.Well I spent 4 years touring shows with others.
It was quite good times really.(That is enough about that)

Nothing to do with Newbury I accept.
But it was my home town then.As Bruce might have said
ce
Biker1
QUOTE (Penelope @ Jul 27 2012, 04:54 PM) *
I must confess I usually read the digital version myself.

But then you miss a whole enthralling page weekly of "Country Matters" or as it should be titled "Farming Propaganda"!
On the edge
QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jul 27 2012, 09:30 PM) *
But then you miss a whole enthralling page weekly of "Country Matters" or as it should be titled "Farming Propaganda"!

Then you could offer to do one on trains and transport. We have a good few commuters - so quite relevant. The page in 'Metro' which goes on about the Underground has made London appreciate the tube a bit more. And yes, I am being serious!
On the edge
Nothing Much - just keep posting!

Anyone who disagrees simply ought to wonder why newspapers add odd quirky articles.

Frazer Nash cars - haven't heard of them since Grandad passed on!

Biker1
QUOTE (On the edge @ Jul 27 2012, 09:46 PM) *
Then you could offer to do one on trains and transport. We have a good few commuters - so quite relevant. The page in 'Metro' which goes on about the Underground has made London appreciate the tube a bit more. And yes, I am being serious!

That would be putting my head on the chopping block! laugh.gif
We need to either stop complaining about the railways or do something about it which means spending money.
As soon as that is suggested it is usually lambasted.
Look at HS2.
We are paying the price for decades of under investment most of which was diverted to the roads. Things need to change as road transport is not the magical answer to everything as we though back in the 60's with Beeching, Marples and their plans.

Sorry, I digress..............
Just think farmers have their own publications for this type of thing.
And people who enjoy blasting animals for fun have theirs.
If it was really about country matters in general then it would be of interest to many more and worthwhile publishing.
Simon Kirby
QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jul 27 2012, 10:10 PM) *
Just think farmers have their own publications for this type of thing.
And people who enjoy blasting animals for fun have theirs.
If it was really about country matters in general then it would be of interest to many more and worthwhile publishing.

Absolutely.
On the edge
Perhaps the column should be more about agriculture / food production - which ought to be of interest to our market town. Wholly agree it shouldn't be a platform for what are laughingly called country sports. I know several growers / farmers who are against similarly some townies (nice but dim types albeit) who are for.

Wholly agree about rail investment. Marples - who says corruption is a recent thing!
Andy Capp
I'd rather people appealed for a right to reply, rather than wish something was censored. If the Country Matters has something offensive or wrong, then make a statement about it. I doubt Biker1 et al. have read enough of his articles to make a valid comment anyway.
Biker1
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jul 28 2012, 01:09 AM) *
I doubt Biker1 et al. have read enough of his articles to make a valid comment anyway.

I have read enough of his articles to make a valid comment.
On the edge
QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jul 28 2012, 07:49 AM) *
I have read enough of his articles to make a valid comment.

Agree. A right of reply isn't a panecea and certainly not to propaganda well executed.
Andy Capp
QUOTE (On the edge @ Jul 28 2012, 08:15 AM) *
Agree. A right of reply isn't a panecea and certainly not to propaganda well executed.

It is in a democracy, I think, where someone is doing something legal. Censorship because some or many find it offensive is not how we should run things in modern Britain.
HJD
Not really relevant i know rolleyes.gif but where has this new term 'Medical Episode' suddenly sprung from when describing some one who has been in an accident. It used to be simply called a Blackout or Felt ill !! Just wondering ! unsure.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.