Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Allotment self-management
Newbury Today Forum > Categories > Newbury News
Simon Kirby
I hear on the grape-vine that the Town Council have sent round a leaflet and questionnaire about self-management to (all but one of) their allotmenteers. Didn't someone who used to post on this forum once propose allotment self-management? I wonder if they talked to him about what it involves? If anyone can get hold of a copy of the leaflet and questionnaire it would be interesting if you could post it. I wonder if the questionnaire is anonymous; strikes me you'd have to be a brave woman to tell the council you actually wanted self-management.
Dodgys smarter brother.
QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Apr 30 2012, 04:36 PM) *
Didn't someone who used to post on this forum once propose allotment self-management?

You could be right.

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Apr 30 2012, 04:36 PM) *
I wonder if they talked to him about what it involves?

You could be wrong.

jaycakes

It simply couldn't possibly be true!!

Whoever made that needs some help.. and a medal.
has the markings of C.E over it but I think he wouldn't know how bless him.
Cognosco
Probably in the small print it has a warning about voting for self management?

Warning "Indicating yes may affect how NTC deals with you. You may be declared vexatious and it may lead to the loss of tenancy of your allotment". You may have to suffer discrimination with no right of reply. "You may be asked to sign a contract that forbids you speaking to the press or posting on any public forum without the express permission of the Chief Executive". If in any doubt please seek legal advice.

I feel that now they have made an example of Simon they are convinced that they will get the answer they require? As usual? Still we will see just what the good allotmenteers are made of! Will they stand up and fight a council that are held in disrepute? Will they stand up for keeping the cost of their allotments low? Will thay stand up for saving the non allotment taxpayers money?

Of course it will be interesting to see just what wording has been used by the council? I am sure they will not be too biased in the way it is presented? rolleyes.gif
Andy Capp
I suspect there will be little interest in self management from allotmenteers.

In my view, and bearing in mind that allotments are over subscribed, the council should be pushing for self management, rather than getting in the way of it.
jaycakes
QUOTE (Cognosco @ Apr 30 2012, 07:04 PM) *
Probably in the small print it has a warning about voting for self management?

Warning "Indicating yes may affect how NTC deals with you. You may be declared vexatious and it may lead to the loss of tenancy of your allotment". You may have to suffer discrimination with no right of reply. "You may be asked to sign a contract that forbids you speaking to the press or posting on any public forum without the express permission of the Chief Executive". If in any doubt please seek legal advice.

I think while true perhaps isn't best to ramble on about it anymore, peaceing the keep - or something like that. If the council are prepared to at least see what self-management options are out there then maybe toning down the snidey comments may keep people a bit happier!?
Cognosco
QUOTE (jaycakes @ Apr 30 2012, 07:16 PM) *
I think while true perhaps isn't best to ramble on about it anymore, peaceing the keep - or something like that. If the council are prepared to at least see what self-management options are out there then maybe toning down the snidey comments may keep people a bit happier!?

Are there two of you? Or are you Schizophrenic? blink.gif
jaycakes
QUOTE (Cognosco @ Apr 30 2012, 07:29 PM) *
Are there two of you? Or are you Schizophrenic? blink.gif

I've got half a mind to report you for the accusation. laugh.gif
Cognosco
QUOTE (jaycakes @ Apr 30 2012, 08:09 PM) *
I've got half a mind to report you for the accusation. laugh.gif

Trouble is I can't even appeal to your better half then? rolleyes.gif
Dodgys smarter brother.
QUOTE (jaycakes @ Apr 30 2012, 05:00 PM) *
It simply couldn't possibly be true!!

Whoever made that needs some help.. and a medal.

The link didn't last too long, but it seems to have made it's way to the 'other' forum.
Simon Kirby
QUOTE (Dodgys smarter brother. @ Apr 30 2012, 09:27 PM) *
The link didn't last too long, but it seems to have made it's way to the 'other' forum.

Fantastic piece of work DSB, absolutely fantastic.
Dodgys smarter brother.
QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Apr 30 2012, 10:36 PM) *
Fantastic piece of work DSB, absolutely fantastic.

I will pass your comments on to the relevant peeps.
Simon Kirby
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Apr 30 2012, 07:13 PM) *
I suspect there will be little interest in self management from allotmenteers.

There could be a lot of interest, but the Big Society challenge is that after a generation of not being expected to lift a finger to help ourselves while the nanny state tends to our every need, people will need some encouragement to believe that they can take responsibility for themselves again, and that's not a simple task, and not made any easier by the council's utter hostility to the possibility.

The best chance of self-management succeeding will start with the council itself deciding it's the right thing, and it doesn't need a mandate from the allotmenteers to decide that, what it needs is to understand what self-management is by visiting some self-managed sites and talking to their management committees. I've offered to arrange that, and if anyone's interested I'll offer again. What I expect the council will achieve with their questionnaire is a lukewarm response to the idea which they'll take as a mandate for state-management. And thus ends the hope of a Big Society.
Andy Capp

Yes, clear proof the Newbury's dark forces are keeping an eye on the thread.
NWNREADER
Pardon my ignorance..... 'other' forum? Where the Dark Forces roam?
jaycakes

Oh I forgot you're allowed to link to external sites, so long as those external sites are nothing to do with the council.
Rusty Bullet
Well they let it stay up for half a day, but it's gone now.

Good to see free speech and freedom of expression is alive and well in Newbury. (Unless you're trying to 'stick it up' the Council).
Weavers Walk
If anybody wants the link, to what seems to have become this most contentious piece of Children's TV, feel free to p.m. me.

But be advised that this forum cannot be held to account for links to other sites.
JeffG
Seek and ye shall find. I love the Clangers. smile.gif
dannyboy
QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Apr 30 2012, 10:55 PM) *
There could be a lot of interest, but the Big Society challenge is that after a generation of not being expected to lift a finger to help ourselves while the nanny state tends to our every need, people will need some encouragement to believe that they can take responsibility for themselves again, and that's not a simple task, and not made any easier by the council's utter hostility to the possibility.

The best chance of self-management succeeding will start with the council itself deciding it's the right thing, and it doesn't need a mandate from the allotmenteers to decide that, what it needs is to understand what self-management is by visiting some self-managed sites and talking to their management committees. I've offered to arrange that, and if anyone's interested I'll offer again. What I expect the council will achieve with their questionnaire is a lukewarm response to the idea which they'll take as a mandate for state-management. And thus ends the hope of a Big Society.

Or you could just accept that, in fact, many people are not interested in 'big society' at all? That they like having it all done for them & be freeloaders who'd rather pay so as not to have to do anything?

'Big Society' is just a load of political hubris & soundbite.
jaycakes
QUOTE (JeffG @ May 1 2012, 10:25 AM) *
Seek and ye shall find. I love the Clangers. smile.gif

Is that what the mouse cartoon thing was?
Dodgys smarter brother.
QUOTE (jaycakes @ May 1 2012, 10:58 AM) *
Is that what the mouse cartoon thing was?

Cartoon sir? Cartoon? I think you'll find that the Clangers are real sir. Hurumph!
Andy Capp
QUOTE (NWNREADER @ May 1 2012, 06:17 AM) *
Pardon my ignorance..... 'other' forum? Where the Dark Forces roam?

Google: Newbury.net - A Community website for Newbury, Berkshire, UK

Dark forces are those that would remove political satire.
Andy Capp
QUOTE (dannyboy @ May 1 2012, 10:45 AM) *

It is also a sound idea, and one that could stick it to people that make money out of the poor. I cannot afford money, but I can afford time.
dannyboy
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ May 1 2012, 12:22 PM) *
It is also a sound idea, and one that could stick it to people that make money out of the poor. I cannot afford money, but I can afford time.

But that is the problem - all it is is an idea.

In the real World, it won't work.
Andy Capp
QUOTE (dannyboy @ May 1 2012, 12:24 PM) *
But that is the problem - all it is is an idea. In the real World, it won't work.

I'm not sure won't is right. It might need some change of attitude on all sides, but what is for sure, society cannot afford to have its cake and eat it.
Roger T
Mmm, I love cake. Especially that Mr Kipling stuff.
In my youth I would eat it merrily. Probably explains the obesity.

Best thing about being able to afford it, is that it is often on buy one, get one free at Sainsburys.
Nothing Much
Ah those were the "Glory Days".RogerT. I was quite addicted to Mr Kiplings Viennese Whirls.(Still am but try to avoid that aisle).

I used to shop whilst 6yr old daughter rode in a group on a Thelwell type nag.Possibly 8-9 hands!
One day on the way back I encountered the hack.
Sharp eyed little minx noticed the empty packet on the passenger seat. Later she sweetly asked
as she helped unpack shopping, "S0oooo where is the red packet then?" I just ignored her.

After stuffing oneself full of Mr Kipling's finest, that seemed the only option.
ce
dannyboy
QUOTE (Nothing Much @ May 1 2012, 04:30 PM) *
Ah those were the "Glory Days".RogerT. I was quite addicted to Mr Kiplings Viennese Whirls.

I used to shop whilst 6yr old daughter rode in a group on a Thelwell type nag.Possibly 8-9 hands!
Sharp eyed little minx noticed the empty packet on the passenger seat. Later she sweetly asked
as she helped unpack shopping, "S0oooo where is the red packet then?" I just ignored her.

After stuffing oneself full of Mr Kipling's finest, that seemed the only option.
ce

Mr Kipling eh?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjLxQUfa2wE
massifheed
QUOTE (Roger T @ May 1 2012, 04:12 PM) *
Mmm, I love cake. Especially that Mr Kipling stuff.
In my youth I would eat it merrily. Probably explains the obesity.

Best thing about being able to afford it, is that it is often on buy one, get one free at Sainsburys.

Welcome to the forum jaycakes - I mean, "Roger T".

wink.gif

Nothing Much
I guess we all fall for that. I am pleased to say I have managed to only eat one packet in the last year.
I ate the contents as well. So I like to call myself a 12 step recovering Rudyard Kiplinger....
ce.

Roger T
Who is this jaycakes you speak of? I'm Roger from Turnpike smile.gif (hi all)

Ah those were the "Glory Days".RogerT. I was quite addicted to Mr Kiplings Viennese Whirls.(Still am but try to avoid that aisle).

ce

A good old trot I imagine in those times of joy.
Thelwel ponies was a comic I much enjoyed reading those comics when I was growing up. Although they were a good 20 years old before I had even heard of them.
Nothing Much
One thing I am pleased to say, despite a fondness for Whirls.Viennese or otherwise.
I was never and remain so an "Old Trot". I leave that to Vince Cable.
ce.
Weavers Walk
QUOTE (dannyboy @ May 1 2012, 04:33 PM) *

So, can I just check that we ARE allowed to link to outside sites, like Youtube now?
Cognosco
QUOTE (Weavers Walk @ May 1 2012, 06:24 PM) *
So, can I just check that we ARE allowed to link to outside sites, like Youtube now?

As long as the local Councils give permission! rolleyes.gif
Simon Kirby
QUOTE (dannyboy @ May 1 2012, 10:45 AM) *
Or you could just accept that, in fact, many people are not interested in 'big society' at all? That they like having it all done for them & be freeloaders who'd rather pay so as not to have to do anything?

I kind of see what you're saying about the Big Society, but to be honest I can't understand why the tories, and David Cameron personally, invested so much in it because almost no one got it and it certainly didn't win them any votes. It's an uncomfortable thought, but I still feel David Cameron felt it was actually right. I say uncomfortable because I don't believe many politicians believe in anything any more, it's all just about spin and votes, but Big Society is such an honest-to-goodness sound social policy, and it's been such a lame vote winner, that I have to think that Cameron was in ernest. If he'd kept the message simple and just talked about a small decentralised state he'd have been on firm tory ground, but he broke with Thatcherism and tried to re-invented a belief in society. I just think there were too many vested interests, too many snouts in the state trough, for it to succeed.

I agree that people aren't interested in a Big Society, and I agree too that they like having it all done for them. Some would rather not pay, but I even agree that there are a lot who are happy to pay for it, and that most certainly applies to allotmenteers in Newbury. However, that doesn't mean that it makes for a good society, but I do accept I probably hold a minority view. I hope I don't come to accept that, because I don't really want to lose that belief in society.
Andy Capp
Looking at the long range economic forecast, I see 'big society' as an inevitability, rather than an option. Better to take control of it while we can, before it gets out-sourced to a private concern.
x2lls

ce

I was lucky with Mr Kipling. I was an apprentice car mechanic in 1970, but only for ten months. The company I worked for had a service contract with the Mr Kipling depot next door. Every Friday, we would all go home with carrier bags full of what would be out of date come next Monday. My mum never had it so good!.
Simon Kirby
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ May 1 2012, 08:52 PM) *
Looking at the long range economic forecast, I see 'big society' as an inevitability, rather than an option. Better to take control of it while we can, before it gets out-sourced to a private concern.

Take control? I don't see it happening. I don't see the Big Fat State allowing itself to be shrunk, and I don't see the inured masses being asked to challenge it.
Weavers Walk
QUOTE (dannyboy @ May 1 2012, 03:33 PM) *

QUOTE (Weavers Walk @ May 1 2012, 05:24 PM) *

There's only one way to find out.

http://youtu.be/tywPBAs_4vM

I'm sure these views are those of the artist and not those of the N.W.N or anyone connected with the operation of this forum. Neither can any of them be held responsible for what's on other websites.
Nothing Much
Thanks Weavers Walk. I missed the link the first time so I didn't Clegg the Clangers comments.
I have posted it to older bro who had a showdown with Lib-Dem arrogance in Richmond.
Strangely the council lost at the last election.
As I once mentioned a barrister forced a FOI investigation and the CEO( still in place) was given a ticking off.
for guess what ...refusing to hand over documents.
ce.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.