Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Back in Recession
Newbury Today Forum > Categories > Random Rants
Jayjay
http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/uk-slides...-083031693.html

Very bad news.
Grumpy
QUOTE (Jayjay @ Apr 25 2012, 11:18 AM) *

You ain't seen nothing yet. The brown stuff is set to get smellier and deeper.
Bloggo
QUOTE (Grumpy @ Apr 25 2012, 12:02 PM) *
You ain't seen nothing yet. The brown stuff is set to get smellier and deeper.

It is of course a possibility but what makes you say that?
NWNREADER

I don't say it is good news, but when the issues are around .1% I do not see death and destruction. In addition, the prime impact is coming from the Eurozone issues, which are totally outside our control. Indeed, some say the forthcoming French elections could lead to a furore that will make Greece look like a day at the races.....
Andy Capp
QUOTE (Bloggo @ Apr 25 2012, 12:13 PM) *
It is of course a possibility but what makes you say that?

The full impact of the cuts are yet to take affect.
andy1979uk
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Apr 25 2012, 01:45 PM) *
The full impact of the cuts are yet to take affect.

The cuts should infact help us out of recession by saving public spending. In my opinion they have not cut nearly enough on Welfare.
Bloggo
QUOTE (andy1979uk @ Apr 25 2012, 01:55 PM) *
The cuts should infact help us out of recession by saving public spending. In my opinion they have not cut nearly enough on Welfare.

I agree with that.
JeffG
According to the news, there has been modest growth in most sectors, apart from the construction industry, which at -3% has dragged the overall figure below the line.
Andy Capp
QUOTE (andy1979uk @ Apr 25 2012, 01:55 PM) *

Well cuts have helped put us in it, so I'd like to think so. The problem with the welfare cuts are that a large amount of people will be made destitute.
Bloggo
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Apr 25 2012, 03:00 PM) *
Well cuts have helped put us in it, so I'd like to think so. The problem with the welfare cuts are that a large amount of people will be made destitute.

It's complex and provactive and some will really be worse off but there are those that are exploiting the benefits system and perhaps will have to cut down on their beer and fags.
andy1979uk
QUOTE (Bloggo @ Apr 25 2012, 03:05 PM) *
It's complex and provactive and some will really be worse off but there are those that are exploiting the benefits system and perhaps will have to cut down on their beer and fags.

You also have the huge tax credits bill, thousands of families having 4+ kids with no way to support them without their generous tax credits payment each month. Daddy works in tesco, mummy stays home full time and they claim child tax credits, working tax credits and end up as well off as people who much higher end jobs.
JeffG
QUOTE (andy1979uk @ Apr 25 2012, 03:13 PM) *
mummy stays home full time

Nothing wrong with that. Used to be the norm.
andy1979uk
QUOTE (JeffG @ Apr 25 2012, 03:19 PM) *

If they can afford to stay home without a huge handout in tax credits then thats fine, when you are collecting more in tax credits than you pay in tax then clearly we have a situation is'nt sensible.
Bloggo
QUOTE (JeffG @ Apr 25 2012, 03:19 PM) *

It was also the norm for women to go out cleaning in the evening to help pay for the children that they had. Many also did piece work at home whilst they looked after the kids.
Fathers were also expected to stay around and support their kids.
It's too easy to push out kids and expect the state to pay for their care and upbringing.
There needs to be a change of thinking from both goverment and society.
Andy Capp
QUOTE (andy1979uk @ Apr 25 2012, 03:13 PM) *
You also have the huge tax credits bill, thousands of families having 4+ kids with no way to support them without their generous tax credits payment each month. Daddy works in tesco, mummy stays home full time and they claim child tax credits, working tax credits and end up as well off as people who much higher end jobs.

QUOTE (andy1979uk @ Apr 25 2012, 03:25 PM) *
If they can afford to stay home without a huge handout in tax credits then thats fine, when you are collecting more in tax credits than you pay in tax then clearly we have a situation is'nt sensible.

QUOTE (Bloggo @ Apr 25 2012, 03:26 PM) *
It was also the norm for women to go out cleaning in the evening to help pay for the children that they had. Many also did piece work at home whilst they looked after the kids. Fathers were also expected to stay around and support their kids. It's too easy to push out kids and expect the state to pay for their care and upbringing. There needs to be a change of thinking from both goverment and society.

I think a greater problem than all that, is a decline in meaningful work, compared to the halcyon days of yore.

The rot started as yearly as the 70s with the housing price explosion. Our housing policy on its own has helped screw this country, that and access to unsecured credit.

While some of the detail above might be true, it is way too simplistic, and doesn't make anything right.
dannyboy
If you cut welfare payments, then there will be less money being spent within the economy.
Newbelly
QUOTE (dannyboy @ Apr 25 2012, 05:52 PM) *
If you cut welfare payments, then there will be less money being spent within the economy.

And welfare payments have to be funded by taxation or borrowing. High taxes do not equal growth and interest on borrowing cripples the economy too.
Cognosco

Just think what the figures would be like if Dave and Co had not made everyone dash to purchase petrol and Diesel before the end of March by ordering people to hoard petrol? rolleyes.gif Even though there was no strike planned on the nearest horizon. Millions extra was purchased so if you take that figure into account then were really are in a serious recession.
dannyboy
QUOTE (Newbelly @ Apr 25 2012, 06:09 PM) *
And welfare payments have to be funded by taxation or borrowing. High taxes do not equal growth and interest on borrowing cripples the economy too.

There is only so much one can buy oneself.

Far batter to tax those with & give it to those without. The less well off tend to spend more too.
dannyboy
QUOTE (Cognosco @ Apr 25 2012, 06:16 PM) *
Just think what the figures would be like if Dave and Co had not made everyone dash to purchase petrol and Diesel before the end of March by ordering people to hoard petrol? rolleyes.gif Even though there was no strike planned on the nearest horizon. Millions extra was purchased so if you take that figure into account then were really are in a serious recession.

You'd love that eh?
Nothing Much
Well of course Brioche is Better than Batter.
As the Queen perhaps said whilst facing a nasty sharpy thing.

I am worth quite a lot but I don't have any money.
So take my house. Sounds like African Politics to me.
ce

Newbelly
QUOTE (dannyboy @ Apr 25 2012, 06:17 PM) *

Far batter to tax those with & give it to those without. The less well off tend to spend more too.

I agree with the principle that the wealthy should help the poor. But who are "the rich".

I have some seriously wealthy clients - the very rich, if you like. These people are completely mobile and will domicile themselves and/or invest where they think they will do best. They think nothing of moving themselves and their families around the world to avoid punitive taxation. Like them or hate them, they provide employment.

We need to strike a balance between helping the needy, and not discouraging investment.
dannyboy
QUOTE (Newbelly @ Apr 25 2012, 06:35 PM) *
I agree with the principle that the wealthy should help the poor. But who are "the rich".

I have some seriously wealthy clients - the very rich, if you like. These people are completely mobile and will domicile themselves and/or invest where they think they will do best. They think nothing of moving themselves and their families around the world to avoid punitive taxation. Like them or hate them, they provide employment.

We need to strike a balance between helping the needy, and not discouraging investment.

Too true.

But as the wealthy provide employment with their spending, so do the less fortunate.
Newbelly
QUOTE (dannyboy @ Apr 25 2012, 06:40 PM) *
Too true.

But as the wealthy provide employment with their spending, so do the less fortunate.

Yes, we need everyone to be out spending more in the shops. But better that money comes from overseas than a tax take from UK businesses and working people.
Andy Capp
I think we also need a long term economic strategy that isn't just tied to value added services and housing.
Cognosco
You'd love that eh?

Just being realistic. Just ask yourself why Dave and Co tried to get people to purchase petrol at the ned of the month what was the reason for it?

Even so Dave's plan failed and we are in a recession as predicted by others who he tried to rubbish as talking nonsense when predicting a further recession. Can't escape facts I'm afraid? rolleyes.gif
Simon Kirby
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Apr 25 2012, 07:17 PM) *
I think we also need a long term economic strategy that isn't just tied to value added services and housing.

Yes, we've become quite the B-ark haven't we. Didn't this government make some promise about supporting the development of manufacturing and engineering? Went the way of the Big Society promise I suppose.
Nothing Much
Well after todays downpours.
I am fairly happy with the new roof. (The cost of an affordable home.).....
Which has kept builders,scaffolders, painters,carpenters busy since January.

The company has been decrying the lack of interest in locals to take on work.
It was offered by the company founders son,now in his 80s. (His son retired at 70).
The 80 year old works every day.

From a newspaper article and I loosely post . "They are hungover, don't turn up,and are stupid".
ce
JeffG
Far better to tax those with & give it to those without.

Did you translate that from the original German? wink.gif
dannyboy
QUOTE (Cognosco @ Apr 25 2012, 07:18 PM) *
Just being realistic. Just ask yourself why Dave and Co tried to get people to purchase petrol at the ned of the month what was the reason for it?

Even so Dave's plan failed and we are in a recession as predicted by others who he tried to rubbish as talking nonsense when predicting a further recession. Can't escape facts I'm afraid? rolleyes.gif

Hmmmm, maybe in your conspiracy laden world............
Blake
It is only a technical recession and a tiny drop in output. I think by the end of the year growth will be much more vigorous.

But, I think the government does need to cut taxes to get firms and individuals spending again.

Bloggo

Is there? I have no trouble spending my cash and if I had more I would spend more.

A very noble statement and perhaps you might like to give your money away to the lazy and feckless. Personally I would like the choice to give mine to the deserving and my own family.
andy1979uk
For the record it is no harder to buy a house now than it is was in the 70s and 80s, yes prices are high but interest rates are low. The problem these days is peopple want to move out of their parents into a 4 bed detached.
dannyboy
QUOTE (Bloggo @ Apr 26 2012, 08:32 AM) *
Is there? I have no trouble spending my cash and if I had more I would spend more.

A very noble statement and perhaps you might like to give your money away to the lazy and feckless. Personally I would like the choice to give mine to the deserving and my own family.

LOL, lazy & feckless - about 0.5% of the population.
Bloggo
QUOTE (dannyboy @ Apr 26 2012, 11:55 AM) *
LOL, lazy & feckless - about 0.5% of the population.

I don't care if there were only 5 of them I still don't want to, nor should I be required to, give away my hard earned cash to some tosser or tosseress who can't be bothered to get out of bed in the morning.
I'm very happy to support those that for genuine reasons can't help themselves but there are too many taking the p*ss.
dannyboy
QUOTE (Bloggo @ Apr 26 2012, 12:11 PM) *
I don't care if there were only 5 of them I still don't want to, nor should I be required to, give away my hard earned cash to some tosser or tosseress who can't be bothered to get out of bed in the morning.
I'm very happy to support those that for genuine reasons can't help themselves but there are too many taking the p*ss.

Been watching too much 'Shameless' again?
Bloggo
QUOTE (dannyboy @ Apr 26 2012, 12:14 PM) *
Been watching too much 'Shameless' again?

Sorry I haven't got clue what you mean and what sensible point you are struggling to make.
dannyboy
QUOTE (Bloggo @ Apr 26 2012, 12:19 PM) *
Sorry I haven't got clue what you mean and what sensible point you are struggling to make.

It ain't rocket science.

If you are struggling, maybe you should cease making generalisations.
Bloggo
QUOTE (dannyboy @ Apr 26 2012, 12:22 PM) *
It ain't rocket science.

If you are struggling, maybe you should cease making generalisations.

I think you have a problem undersatnding what is being written. I haven't made a generalization I have given a personal opinion which, if it's OK with you, I will continue to do.
dannyboy
QUOTE (Bloggo @ Apr 26 2012, 12:28 PM) *
I think you have a problem undersatnding what is being written. I haven't made a generalization I have given a personal opinion which, if it's OK with you, I will continue to do.

LOL, carry on. & I'll continue to give my opinion of yours.

anyway, gotta get out of bed & go & cash me giro
Bloggo
QUOTE (dannyboy @ Apr 26 2012, 12:29 PM) *
LOL, carry on. & I'll continue to give my opinion of yours.

That's fine with me.
anyway, gotta get out of bed & go & cash me giro

Why wouldn't that surprise me. LOL priceless.
dannyboy
QUOTE (Bloggo @ Apr 26 2012, 12:36 PM) *
That's fine with me.

Why wouldn't that surprise me. LOL priceless.

how else do you think I can be on the NWN forum 24/7.

what's your excuse?
Bloggo
QUOTE (dannyboy @ Apr 26 2012, 12:39 PM) *
how else do you think I can be on the NWN forum 24/7.

what's your excuse?

self employed
Andy Capp
QUOTE (andy1979uk @ Apr 26 2012, 10:20 AM) *
For the record it is no harder to buy a house now than it is was in the 70s and 80s, yes prices are high but interest rates are low. The problem these days is people want to move out of their parents into a 4 bed detached.

From the 70s, house prices soared. Yes people like to have a big house, but the problem is there are not enough houses of modest size being built to move to. Couple that with rising underlying unemployment and insufficient job security as we slowly outsource low skill work, we are knackered.

At the end of the day, this isn't just about the welfare state, or the NHS, or the cost of housing, or immigration, or lack of well paid jobs, or inadequate education, or the cost of energy; it is the whole lot.

Failed by a political system geared to short term gain.
dannyboy
QUOTE (Bloggo @ Apr 26 2012, 12:45 PM) *
self employed

Obviously not at the moment.
Bloggo
QUOTE (dannyboy @ Apr 26 2012, 12:45 PM) *
Obviously not at the moment.

Actually yes, I'm multi-tasking.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.