Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fighting at Newbury Carnival
Newbury Today Forum > Categories > Newbury News
Pages: 1, 2
Iommi
Allegedly there was some trouble after the Newbury Carnival and also other people described how the atmosphere become sinister later on. Did anyone else notice or see this? I have heard that the there was an obvious Police presence early on but had gone by the early evening. Someone reported that the there was a fight in Northbrook Street that might have been caught on camera.

Although I don't always go, I often see or hear of trouble after big events like the Hennessy Gold Cup or the Newbury Fair. Is it possible that the Newbury's Carnival could be afflicted with yob behaviour as well?
GMR
It is not only possible but it seems to be a fact. The bigger question is why? Certain people like to test the water and with the police disappearing it gives them more strength and confidence to continue on their troublesome ways. A police presence would have sorted this problem out.

As I said in a previous post; I’ve noticed more drug users, alcoholics and yob behaviour than there ever was before on our streets.
Bloggo
QUOTE (GMR @ Jul 6 2009, 07:32 PM) *
It is not only possible but it seems to be a fact. The bigger question is why? Certain people like to test the water and with the police disappearing it gives them more strength and confidence to continue on their troublesome ways. A police presence would have sorted this problem out.

As I said in a previous post; I’ve noticed more drug users, alcoholics and yob behaviour than there ever was before on our streets.

I know I keep on saying the same things on this Forum but it is obvious to me and everyone that I know that Newbury is going down the toilet because of criminality, yobs and indiscipline.
When will this Council admit there's a problem and do something about it.
GMR
QUOTE (Bloggo @ Jul 7 2009, 09:54 AM) *
I know I keep on saying the same things on this Forum but it is obvious to me and everyone that I know that Newbury is going down the toilet because of criminality, yobs and indiscipline.

I agree; and it is so noticeable compared to a few years ago. Many times I've seen shoppers harassed because of either drunks, yobs or some other element. Even more annoying they've got camera's up and that doesn't seem to deter them. They seem to be getting bolder all the time.

People say it is the courts to blame, and I agree to a point, however, that doesn't exonerate our constables lack of interest/ duties.
Bloggo
QUOTE (GMR @ Jul 7 2009, 10:32 AM) *
I agree; and it is so noticeable compared to a few years ago. Many times I've seen shoppers harassed because of either drunks, yobs or some other element. Even more annoying they've got camera's up and that doesn't seem to deter them. They seem to be getting bolder all the time.

People say it is the courts to blame, and I agree to a point, however, that doesn't exonerate our constables lack of interest/ duties.

You know GMR, it doesn't matter who is to blame, it has to be stopped and dealt with before Newbury and other towns beconme more "no-go 2 areas at night.
GMR
QUOTE (Bloggo @ Jul 7 2009, 10:41 AM) *
You know GMR, it doesn't matter who is to blame, it has to be stopped and dealt with before Newbury and other towns beconme more "no-go 2 areas at night.

You won't get any argument from me over that.
TallDarkAndHandsome
Well Well. Hot Day + Copious Amounts of Alcohol = Fight
I am shocked.
Bill1

I may be being thick here, but why the Council?
Bloggo
QUOTE (Bill1 @ Jul 7 2009, 11:14 AM) *
I may be being thick here, but why the Council?

No, I don't think you are being thick, It may be me, but my understanding is that the Council as the Authority for the well being and security of our environment has the ability to call on the Police to act on their behalf when their is a clear indication that certain elements of social life is breaking down due to the behaviour of certain members of the local society.
I believe that we have reached that point and Council should be asking the Police to effectively control the Yob culture that has permeated Newbury society especially at night in the town
Bill1
QUOTE (Bloggo @ Jul 7 2009, 12:16 PM) *
No, I don't think you are being thick, It may be me, but my understanding is that the Council as the Authority for the well being and security of our environment has the ability to call on the Police to act on their behalf when their is a clear indication that certain elements of social life is breaking down due to the behaviour of certain members of the local society.
I believe that we have reached that point and Council should be asking the Police to effectively control the Yob culture that has permeated Newbury society especially at night in the town

Perhaps they are.
Iommi
I know I keep on saying the same things on this Forum but it is obvious to me and everyone that I know that Newbury is going down the toilet because of criminality, yobs and indiscipline. When will this Council admit there's a problem and do something about it.

When compared to other districts, West Berkshire is considered as a quiet area. The issues described on here are similar to other areas and are not unusual, albeit undesirable.

One interesting feature of a more 'attractive town', of course, is that it will attract all types, not just the quiet and wealthy. The Kennet Centre had its unruly element, so much so that they employed security to help maintain decorum. I fear that something similar will be needed as Newbury town becomes more popular for activities other than simply shopping.

It is issues like this that make me cynical about the value of living in a growing market town and perhaps people should be careful for what they wish for. Before we get too hysterical, I can remember since the beginning of my adult memory that Newbury has had its rough elements and subsequent drunken yobbish behaviour. What is quite new, however, is drug related crime.
Roost
Iommi's right on this one. Been around the town a few years meself and it's nothing new. What I think has changed is the age of those involved and causing the problems. They're a lot younger now and a lot braver because they know that all they'll get, even if they do end up getting arrested is a slap on the wrist (again) and a "Don't do it again" (again)!!!!!

Curious about an earlier post relating to our 'constables lack of interest / duties' though? Can anyone elaborate?
GMR
QUOTE (Roost @ Jul 7 2009, 01:54 PM) *
Iommi's right on this one. Been around the town a few years meself and it's nothing new. What I think has changed is the age of those involved and causing the problems. They're a lot younger now and a lot braver because they know that all they'll get, even if they do end up getting arrested is a slap on the wrist (again) and a "Don't do it again" (again)!!!!!

Curious about an earlier post relating to our 'constables lack of interest / duties' though? Can anyone elaborate?

I was talking to a police officer awhile back and he told me that they have so much paper work that they sometimes have to turn a blind eye just to catch up. Also; a few years ago there was a programme on the same subject that said police were not arresting where they should because of paperwork. I've also been in Newbury when drunks and yobbos were causing trouble and it was witnessed by police officers; they didn't do anything. I hope that clarifies my remarks?

I can also tell you other stories where they didn't act or just turned a blind eye.
Bloggo
QUOTE (GMR @ Jul 7 2009, 02:23 PM) *
I was talking to a police officer awhile back and he told me that they have so much paper work that they sometimes have to turn a blind eye just to catch up. Also; a few years ago there was a programme on the same subject that said police were not arresting where they should because of paperwork. I've also been in Newbury when drunks and yobbos were causing trouble and it was witnessed by police officers; they didn't do anything. I hope that clarifies my remarks?

I can also tell you other stories where they didn't act or just turned a blind eye.

Yes, but do you think that it is acceptable. I for one don't.
I want a police force that is effective in minimising crime and anti-social behaviour. Not one that ignores it because they are too busy. That's not what I pay for.
GMR
QUOTE (Bloggo @ Jul 7 2009, 03:37 PM) *
Yes, but do you think that it is acceptable. I for one don't.
I want a police force that is effective in minimising crime and anti-social behaviour. Not one that ignores it because they are too busy. That's not what I pay for.

Again I agree with you. Police are there to protect and deal with crime. I'll give you another example of something that happened to me. In February when the snow was down I went to walk the dog at 12.30 am Sunday morning. I witnessed a crime in progress and called the police (999) and was to told to wait outside and a police will be dispatched a car immediately. It was freezing cold and I waited out there for over an hour and nobody came. I made an official complaint but nothing happened. However, I learnt my lesson. I also wrote a letter to the NWN to show my anger but they didn’t print it (because, as they said, it was too long). They, the police, could have caught the culprits in the act if they did what they promised; came out immediately. The public have no faith in the police.
Bloggo
QUOTE (GMR @ Jul 7 2009, 03:45 PM) *
Again I agree with you. Police are there to protect and deal with crime. I'll give you another example of something that happened to me. In February when the snow was down I went to walk the dog at 12.30 am Sunday morning. I witnessed a crime in progress and called the police (999) and was to told to wait outside and a police will be dispatched a car immediately. It was freezing cold and I waited out there for over an hour and nobody came. I made an official complaint but nothing happened. However, I learnt my lesson. I also wrote a letter to the NWN to show my anger but they didn’t print it (because, as they said, it was too long). They, the police, could have caught the culprits in the act if they did what they promised; came out immediately. The public have no faith in the police.

Yes, and I can also cite similar examples of a lethargic Police force and an ineffectual justice system.
It is a pity that others on the
Bloggo
QUOTE (Bloggo @ Jul 7 2009, 03:50 PM) *
Yes, and I can also cite similar examples of a lethargic Police force and an ineffectual justice system.
It is a pity that others on the Forum think that what we are seeing on our streets is OK. How bad does it have to get before that view gets changed.

Iommi
QUOTE (Bloggo @ Jul 7 2009, 03:50 PM) *
Yes, and I can also cite similar examples of a lethargic Police force and an ineffectual justice system. It is a pity that others on the Forum think that what we are seeing on our streets is OK. How bad does it have to get before that view gets changed.

So who on this forum thinks the situation it is OK?
JeffG
QUOTE (Iommi @ Jul 7 2009, 04:28 PM) *
So who on this forum thinks the situation it is OK?

I don't. I don't think anyone can rely on the police doing anything when it's less than murder.

Maybe the police need a web relations team, like Vodafone (see another post), to pick up on gripes like this.
TallDarkAndHandsome
England has the HIGHEST rate of violent crime now in the World.
We are above South Africa and Columbia.

At least we come first in something....... ohmy.gif
Iommi
QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Jul 7 2009, 05:11 PM) *
We are above South Africa and Columbia. At least we come first in something....... ohmy.gif

I don't think this is true, or at very least, it is misleading, but I am not saying we haven't a problem.
GMR
I've lived on Turnpike for over 30 years - brought my family up here - and it is the worst I've seen it in all that time. Police unable to do anything, or won't do anything and youths damaging property all the time.

Vandals damaged the light post outside the community centre; when i asked the police what they are doing about it they said they knew who did it but they have no proof. Well, if they knew who did it how come they've got no proof? Isn't that an oxymoron?
Hugh Saskin
QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Jul 7 2009, 05:11 PM) *
We are above South Africa and Columbia.

At least we come first in something....... ohmy.gif

Can you state your sources, please? If true, I don't think I want to leave the house much again
Iommi
QUOTE (Hugh Saskin @ Jul 7 2009, 07:54 PM) *
Can you state your sources, please? If true, I don't think I want to leave the house much again

Bare in mind the source.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11...Africa-U-S.html
Hugh Saskin
QUOTE (Iommi @ Jul 7 2009, 08:40 PM) *

Thanks, I always believe everything printed in the Daily Mail rolleyes.gif
GMR
QUOTE (Hugh Saskin @ Jul 7 2009, 08:44 PM) *
Thanks, I always believe everything printed in the Daily Mail rolleyes.gif

if it is in the mail it has got to be true... they would never lie to us wink.gif tongue.gif
TallDarkAndHandsome
Actually this was my source....

http://www.news24.com/Content/SouthAfrica/...rime_in_Britain

tongue.gif

Bloggo
QUOTE (Iommi @ Jul 7 2009, 08:40 PM) *

I get your point but would you rather believe the Governments figures then?
GMR
QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Jul 8 2009, 08:45 AM) *

I can believe that. The police don't seem to be able to do anything and the ordinary citizens seem to suffer.
GMR
QUOTE (Bloggo @ Jul 8 2009, 09:43 AM) *
I get your point but would you rather believe the Governments figures then?

i wouldn't believe the government as they have been known to massage the figures. I would rather trust the Mail or some other tabloid paper than I would the government.
Bloggo
QUOTE (Iommi @ Jul 7 2009, 05:24 PM) *
I don't think this is true, or at very least, it is misleading, but I am not saying we haven't a problem.

I disagree. I think it likely that it is true.
Too many people have their head in the sand and are not seeing the social breakdown that is very slowly happening in this country.
There are lots of figures published that point to a decline in social standards and icreased crime levels.
How about the reported 1000 criminals, murders and rapists allowed out on bail and disappearing and the goverment does not know where they are or how to get them back in prison. What a mess!!!!
JeffG
QUOTE (GMR @ Jul 8 2009, 10:23 AM) *
i wouldn't believe the government as they have been known to massage the figures. I would rather trust the Mail or some other tabloid paper than I would the government.

Wow! I wouldn't have thought anyone could have such a low opinion of the government! blink.gif
noobree
The thousands of South Africans who've moved to West Berks over the past few years must be feeling rather sick about all this. Or perhaps there's another agenda here? Flicking quickly through the pages at http://www.news24.com there appear to be quite a few stories which emphasise how bad things are overseas in comparison with the Shangri La that is South Africa. Could it be, perhaps, that they want to dissuade more rats from leaving the sinking ship?

Particularly with the replacement of the appalling (AIDS denier and general fantacist) Mbeki with the utterly dire (rapist, deeply corrupt) Zuma more and more whites will be planning to scarper.

Incidentally, isn't it typical of forums like this that they descend into negativity at the slightest provocation. Thousands of people had a great time on Sunday but you lot pick up on a single incident and spiral into a pit of despond. Good job Newbury Weekly News.
TallDarkAndHandsome
Extract from the News24 article..

'In turn, Dean from Cape Town wrote that the news about Britain's crime levels didn’t surprise him in the least, and that it was precisely for that reason that he moved to South Africa.

"I feel much safer walking down the streets of South Africa. Most of the crime that happens here is in Johannesburg."

People are moving to South Africa to get away from violent crime in Britain????? ohmy.gif Enough said.
Bloggo
QUOTE (JeffG @ Jul 8 2009, 10:37 AM) *
Wow! I wouldn't have thought anyone could have such a low opinion of the government! blink.gif

Are you kidding, have you forgotten about how our "honourable members" have been ripping us off with fraudulant expenses claims?
JeffG
QUOTE (Bloggo @ Jul 8 2009, 10:44 AM) *
Are you kidding, have you forgotten about how our "honourable members" have been ripping us off with fraudulant expenses claims?

Bloggo, does the word "irony" mean anything to you? It was a tongue-in-cheek reference to the comment that he would trust the Daily Mail more than the government.
Bloggo
QUOTE (JeffG @ Jul 8 2009, 11:13 AM) *
Bloggo, does the word "irony" mean anything to you? It was a tongue-in-cheek reference to the comment that he would trust the Daily Mail more than the government.

Sorry, I missed it. I'll try and do better.
JeffG
QUOTE (Bloggo @ Jul 8 2009, 11:25 AM) *
Sorry, I missed it. I'll try and do better.

rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif
GMR
QUOTE (JeffG @ Jul 8 2009, 10:37 AM) *

yeah, I see what you mean..... it is pretty rare that anybody would dream of criticising such sacred and loving government laugh.gif wink.gif
Iommi
QUOTE (Bloggo @ Jul 8 2009, 10:34 AM) *
I disagree. I think it likely that it is true.

The problem I see with the article is that it is drawing from different sources which in themselves use different ways of collating data. In other words it is not very scientific.

e.g.

"The Daily Mail, however, was told by experts that the fact that "violence" is interpreted differently in different countries should be taken into account. For instance, where a disturbance is considered a violent offence under British law, in other countries such as South Africa, it's only considered a violent offence if someone is assaulted."

QUOTE (Bloggo @ Jul 8 2009, 10:34 AM) *
Too many people have their head in the sand and are not seeing the social breakdown that is very slowly happening in this country. There are lots of figures published that point to a decline in social standards and icreased crime levels.
How about the reported 1000 criminals, murders and rapists allowed out on bail and disappearing and the goverment does not know where they are or how to get them back in prison. What a mess!!!!

Social breakdown has been happening for 100s of years, the difference now is that we are 'force fed' this type of information 24/7, thus raising anxiety.

It does seem that the criminal element seem a lot more informed and mobile these days and this could be placed, in part, down to communication technology. People are a lot more versed with their 'rights' and how to be a nuisance.

Whether it is getting worse or not is debatable, but I remember what Turnpike estate, St George's Ave, Skylings and others used to be like. I remember being chased through Newbury in the mid 70s by a gang from the Waterside and hearing about the battle between the skinheads and bikers in the late 60s, etc. I remember living near a notorious Newbury 'thug' in the 70s and the Police were always 'very nice' to him, regardless, it seems, of what he did.
Roost
Again Iommi, I'm with you. I hate to sound like a sycophant but Newbury, along with many other towns and cities has suffered from this for a lot of years now. It is nothing new. What is new is the young age of those involved and the increase in reporting it via this and other media. A minor disorder many years ago would have likely as not have gone unreported in the local media. Also new is this attitude against the police. I truely believe that most police would like to be doing something about things like this. I do not think I could do their job if I were to join today, and neither would I want to....!
Iommi
I think there might be another factor involved. Many of us might have more to lose now than in the past. A large amount of people own their own house, which is kitted out with all the latest electronic stuff. To this end, I think people feel more vulnerable.

My view is, if one could metaphorically collect all the 'units' of ill-doing and put them in a container, we probably would have the same size container as we did in the past (in proportion to the population), it just might be that the contents would look a bit different today.

One other thing, we must all not underestimate the power of the TV over us and our children.
Bloggo
QUOTE (Roost @ Jul 8 2009, 08:32 PM) *
Again Iommi, I'm with you. I hate to sound like a sycophant but Newbury, along with many other towns and cities has suffered from this for a lot of years now. It is nothing new. What is new is the young age of those involved and the increase in reporting it via this and other media. A minor disorder many years ago would have likely as not have gone unreported in the local media. Also new is this attitude against the police. I truely believe that most police would like to be doing something about things like this. I do not think I could do their job if I were to join today, and neither would I want to....!

Well Roost, Iommi, I'm glad that you feel comfortable with how things are.
Personally having had my garage broken into and in another separate incidence my house, both events receiving a very lazy response from the police I do feel at risk.
Also my daughter was assaulted in Newbury.
Worse still is that if I protect myself then I will be treated worse than the criminal yet the police, who I pay a contribution to, won't or can't protect me.
You'll forgive me if I am a little put out.
GMR
QUOTE (Bloggo @ Jul 9 2009, 09:08 AM) *
Well Roost, Iommi, I'm glad that you feel comfortable with how things are.
Personally having had my garage broken into and in another separate incidence my house, both events receiving a very lazy response from the police I do feel at risk.
Also my daughter was assaulted in Newbury.
Worse still is that if I protect myself then I will be treated worse than the criminal yet the police, who I pay a contribution to, won't or can't protect me.
You'll forgive me if I am a little put out.

I am not comfortable the way things are and I blame the police, courts and the government. Blair said he would be "tough on crime, tough on the causes of crime" when he came into power and all he has done is give the trouble makers more power and has made them feel invincible. Where I live it is the worst I've seen it since I've lived there. The town is also worse and speak to other people about other parts of Newbury it is not that much better.
Bloggo
QUOTE (GMR @ Jul 9 2009, 10:12 AM) *
I am not comfortable the way things are and I blame the police, courts and the government. Blair said he would be "tough on crime, tough on the causes of crime" when he came into power and all he has done is give the trouble makers more power and has made them feel invincible. Where I live it is the worst I've seen it since I've lived there. The town is also worse and speak to other people about other parts of Newbury it is not that much better.

Blair and the Labour Government have fed us bull**** for the last 10 years. Their focus has been on making money for themselves and abusing their positions for their own personal advantage. They don't really care about the average man in the street.
GMR, I agree with your observations. Turnpike, Greenham, Thatcham are becoming unpleasant areas to live in.
But I'm sure there are others who disagree and they are entitled to their opinion and I really hope they are proved right in time.
I myself doubt it and see things getting worse.
dannyboy
there are lies, **** lies & statistics.

It was reported a few years back that the UK had the worst human rights record of any EU country. But that was only because the UK was the only EU country which had actually returned the EU census on human rights. The French for example had never bothered with the census.

I'll bet £££X that the UK interpretation of Violent Crime, from this source, includes all amnner of events not counted by other countries.
GMR
QUOTE (dannyboy @ Jul 9 2009, 11:21 AM) *
there are lies, **** lies & statistics.

It was reported a few years back that the UK had the worst human rights record of any EU country. But that was only because the UK was the only EU country which had actually returned the EU census on human rights. The French for example had never bothered with the census.

I'll bet £££X that the UK interpretation of Violent Crime, from this source, includes all amnner of events not counted by other countries.

“There are lies, damn lies and statistics” which I think you meant to say. Said by Benjamin Disraeli. And he was right.

It doesn’t matter whether we are at the top of the heap or the bottom we have a problem and it needs sorting out.

Did anybody see the Panorama programme on Monday? Where the police were behaving like Gestapo; that would be fine if they are using their full force against criminals or yobs, unfortunately they are using the strong arm of the law against innocent and peaceful protesters. Using laws that were meant for terrorists against people who have a right to protest. Somewhere along the line the police got their priorities all wrong.
dannyboy
QUOTE (GMR @ Jul 9 2009, 11:36 AM) *
“There are lies, damn lies and statistics” which I think you meant to say. Said by Benjamin Disraeli. And he was right.

It doesn’t matter whether we are at the top of the heap or the bottom we have a problem and it needs sorting out.

Did anybody see the Panorama programme on Monday? Where the police were behaving like Gestapo; that would be fine if they are using their full force against criminals or yobs, unfortunately they are using the strong arm of the law against innocent and peaceful protesters. Using laws that were meant for terrorists against people who have a right to protest. Somewhere along the line the police got their priorities all wrong.

68.5 percent of statistics are made up.
GMR
QUOTE (dannyboy @ Jul 9 2009, 11:39 AM) *

I think Hitler would be proud. With that and the European Union coming along nicely he would be a very happy man. Why did we defeat him only to create what he set out to do?
GMR
QUOTE (dannyboy @ Jul 9 2009, 11:39 AM) *

That wouldn't surprise me. The worst offenders are the governments of the world.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.